Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

If my team loses to an FCS opponent in the opener for the third year in a row I'm adopting a midmajor, or something.

Become a rabid D2 fan and tell me how Northwest Missouri State and Pittsburg State are doing each week. Every year I tell myself I'm going to pay attention because both schools are so good and I never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grittybeard posted:

Become a rabid D2 fan and tell me how Northwest Missouri State and Pittsburg State are doing each week. Every year I tell myself I'm going to pay attention because both schools are so good and I never do.

Fun fact: Pittsburg State has more all-time wins than any other college football program in Kansas

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys get to start the cycle of hope again in just about 6 months or so. Probably.

That's what I thought last year...

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

You are a good poster. Come cheer for Mississippi State. We are what your school would look like if it decided to give a poo poo about football in December, 2008.

that just makes it more tragic tho

real post: if you don't have any personal attachments just root for les miles

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
C'mon Thoguh, don't act like you weren't at least half a GT fan last season. I saw your posts. Time to go the full Johnson.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys get to start the cycle of hope again in just about 6 months or so. Probably.

"Don't Fire Mike London" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Please Don't Groh" but I'll say it just the same.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thoguh if you want surprisingly competent football without much prestige you can always adopt UCF.

vvv

True.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 17, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

Thoguh if you want surprisingly competent football without much prestige you can always adopt UCF.

East Carolina.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Slate Action posted:

C'mon Thoguh, don't act like you weren't at least half a GT fan last season. I saw your posts. Time to go the full Johnson.

The best EDSBS article

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thoguh posted:

If my team loses to an FCS opponent in the opener for the third year in a row I'm adopting a midmajor, or something.
Georgia Southern, Willie Fritz triple option. I think it'd be pretty funny if Auburn looked at him after Malzahn.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I swear that at any time I could tell you more about Virginia Tech, South Carolina, or Texas Tech football than just about any other team in college football.

IDK about Virginia Tech but the other two are teams who's fortunes rise and fall on seemly daily basis and create or are subjected to weirdness. I mean who cares if Alabama wins a football game when Texas Tech can summon wild animals to the field to torment the minds of opposing teams and still lose. Which story are you going to click on?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Chieves posted:

^^ Aggie will probably be pretty great with a competent DC, even though that may take a year or two to really set in though. The division is still a huge toss-up though, which could easily help or hinder them.

Also, as one of the "younger" generation guys (despite lurking more than posting), this is still my favorite football subforum just because of the actual intelligent non-rivals talk that permeates Literally Every Other Forum. It's also nice hearing from a diverse school mix and not just a team-specific echo chamber. My only wish was that I discovered this subforum sooner!

You better like my teams (champions 2016)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VDay posted:

Yeah that's kinda weird. Seems like it's probably just a depth chart/playing time issue at first seeing as how USC has like four 4/5* QBs on its roster at any time, but you figure he knew he wouldn't get to play this year when he committed. Kind of a bummer, I was looking forward to watching Rosen and him play against each other for the next couple of years after Kessler graduates.

He might have seen that he was losing the battle with Darnold, and decided to get out while he still had a lot of time to play at another school, rather than waiting until he lost the competition next camp.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For as awful as Penn State's offense has been since....a while now, PSU has not been shut out for almost 14 years. That's a bit impressive considering there's a 3-9 season in that same time frame.

For comparison, since 1990, PSU has shut out three times. For comparison, Alabama has been shut out five times, including by Penn State in 1990, and Ohio State once, by Michigan in 1993.

VT three times, South Carolina five, Texas Tech two, Auburn eight, Houston five, Iowa three, Iowa State five, Tennessee one, Texas two, General Dog five, Baylor 18(!), and WVU six.

Michigan had one and it was last year and it was to Notre Dame so it was the most shameful of all them.

Florida is king because they had none.

I think that covers everyone's teams here :v:

hahah baylor

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

For as awful as Penn State's offense has been since....a while now, PSU has not been shut out for almost 14 years. That's a bit impressive considering there's a 3-9 season in that same time frame.

For comparison, since 1990, PSU has shut out three times. For comparison, Alabama has been shut out five times, including by Penn State in 1990, and Ohio State once, by Michigan in 1993.

VT three times, South Carolina five, Texas Tech two, Auburn eight, Houston five, Iowa three, Iowa State five, Tennessee one, Texas two, General Dog five, Baylor 18(!), and WVU six.

Michigan had one and it was last year and it was to Notre Dame so it was the most shameful of all them.

hahah baylor

You can't make a post like this and not include:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pakled posted:

Fun fact: Pittsburg State has more all-time wins than any other college football program in Kansas

:smith:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Wake Forest: nine shut outs since 1990

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sash! posted:

Wake Forest: nine shut outs since 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2V95v6Iv6k :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fNtDzHcXc :unsmith:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Georgia Tech has been shut out three times since 1990, but the last one was in 1997. That's not too bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Looking up similar stats for K-State, the last time the WIldcats were shut out was in 1996 against #6 Colorado. That year they won the first ever conference game in the Big XII against Texas Tech.

:toot:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I don't want the season to start and have to face the reality that UNLV is going to be terrible. :smith:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky has been shut out 9 times since 1990. I was pleasantly surprised it was not into double digits. But they've actually had some pretty potent offenses over the years, especially the Couch and Lorenzen air raid years. Two of those shutouts came in 2013, including that 40-0 massacre by Vanderbilt. Otherwise it was Louisville once, Florida and LSU twice, and Tennessee three times.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

I don't want the season to start and have to face the reality that UNLV is going to be terrible. :smith:

god willing

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We've only been shut out six times since 1990, which impressed me given the 1-21 stretch of '98-99. I believe the only shutout Spurrier has endured here was an 18-0 loss to Georgia in my sophomore year, and that game was exactly as boring as it sounds.

Lessail posted:

I kinda sorta feel this way. I'm more excited than anything else, but our opener against Aggy last year was such a huge kick in the balls that I don't want to set myself up for that again. That said, we still had some fun games and moments despite 2014 being a bummer overall, so hope springs eternal.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am very excited for SDSU this season. We have a favorable MWC schedule and I think we'll win one of our two Power Five OOC games.

We got 27 first place votes in the MWC media poll this year. In the entire existence of the MWC until last year, we had 22 first place votes. Total.

I really want to beat Penn State a lot.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

swickles posted:

Hey we scored in OT, at least.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Georgia Tech has been shut out three times since 1990, but the last one was in 1997. That's not too bad.

For Georgia, it's twice. Both times to Alabama (1991, 1995).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, VT scored in OT. Our streak is approaching 20 years as the last one was in the 1995 opener to Cinci. Came drat close twice last year(scored late against Miami).

Fairly impressive streak for a program not at all known for offensive firepower.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

warheadr posted:

Here is ESPN's new college football promo to kick off the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cy2CLLFbJs

Notable mostly for taking full advantage at the end of how horrifying Clemson's drat tiger costume is

Can we get some gifs from this? Love the dinner table shot.

You know, I'm all for saying gently caress Ohio State and its pedophile fan base but I'm glad Alabama lost and I'm hoping they stomp Michigan for a few years so Michigan cries a lot.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 17, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Raku posted:

East Carolina.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 17, 2015

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I think everyone could tell you when Wisconsin's last shut out was.

Sigh.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

I half-heartedly root for Northern Illinois because of family connections. It helps my sanity a little.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think our last one was 2003 against Georgia.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

You better like my teams (champions 2016)

Well I'm a TCU fan so

(And I live in DFW and not Houston SO)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thoguh posted:

root for Illinois State this season, they've got a badass RB

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

hahah baylor

Of note: TTU hasn't been shut out since 1997, which was before the Air Raid era. Baylor hasn't been shut out under Briles. You, of all people, should remember that not 4 years ago, Baylor really, really sucked. Like really sucked.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I am so looking forward to this season even knowing that I am going to be absolutely miserable watching some of these games. I'm so stupid I can't help but imagine how cool it will be if we manage to start with a win over ND in South Bend.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Actually looking forward to the season at this point more than in past years. When Riley was hired, I understood it, but I also understood why folks would think it was a lazy hire.

The fanbase seems to be on board with him now and this recruiting class is shaping up to be pretty good. The media (including a couple guys I know personally) have commented on how from an operations standpoint, this staff has been leagues better than Pelini & Co. — meetings and appointments start on time, poo poo's more organized, that sort of thing.

That being said, if Pelini was still coaching, this year's team has 7-9 wins written all over it anyway. Revamped O-line, ridiculously shallow LB depth. The OoC schedule will show us a lot, as we start against a decent BYU team at home and go to Miami a few weeks later.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Marcelys Jones got kicked off UK already, how the hell do you even do that?

e: Jones transferred in like a month ago, so he works fast

Kidd-Liggit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

For Georgia, it's twice. Both times to Alabama (1991, 1995).

'04 UGA, who was a really good team with NFL talent, required a late 4th down TD on Auburn's backups to avoid the 0-fer. I was at that game and it wasn't very much fun.

I know Blame Bobo(TM) would later become an annual fall ritual in Athens, but Georgia's offense during the HC/OC Richt Era was just, ugh.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2015

• Locked thread