Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Like what? I've never heard anything bad about Mazda 6's in general, four cylinder or six both seem to be pretty drat reliable and cheap to keep.

They are.

Unless you were a stupid-head and bought the turbo awd version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Obviously after 160k you're going to have to replace poo poo, but I've never heard of the V6 motors having problems, it's been just the opposite with people raving about how good they are overall other than fuel economy which is pretty much normal.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I bought one of these

while I was working in Sweden because it only had 170k km's on it, had the manual transmission and the 2.4 gas engine, and it was pretty cheap at around 1000€ (The customs office in Finland calculate taxes based on what cars of the same model with similar mileage sell and they are like 2-3k, lol)

I had a shorter commute in Sweden than I do now, and since I drive 220km's daily for work it costs me like 600€ a month in gas.
It also really does not feel like it is putting out the promised 140 horse power, something I might have to look at at some point. Also don't know if this is more mini-van territory since it seats 7 if you want.

Also the clutch hosed up, so had to get a new clutch kit for 150€ plus shipping.
Also also the transmission was also hosed with bad bearings, bearing kit + shipping came out to 200€
Honestly disappointed in the tranny, but it seems like it's a common issue with the F5M42 transmissions.

Now while this thing is being fixed I am driving on of these:

it's been driven 340k km's with pretty minimal service, I think the clutch gave up once. It's with the 1.6 8v engine, lazy as all gently caress but goddamn it is still going strong. Just not fast.
It doesn't have cruise control like my Mitsu though, so driving 220 km a day is leaving me with hosed knees, so I can't do anything to my Mitsu. Dad said he will take care of it at some point though!

Opel seems to get a lot of hate for some reason, but we've had like 9-10 astras and rarely have we had any issues with them, we just keep flipping them.
That said there is one on the yard with a hosed engine at the moment, iirc it was the 1.8l engine.

Kind of want to get a Galant with the 2.5 V6, but I have heard they have massive engine problems. There was three of them at the write-off insurance auction thing at one point, all three would have cost around 1000€ but I didn't have any money. Could have built one whole car with parts to spare for that price.
Station wagons have ruined me, I can no longer imagine life driving sedans D:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

organburner posted:

Opel seems to get a lot of hate for some reason, but we've had like 9-10 astras and rarely have we had any issues with them, we just keep flipping them.

Opels are perfectly fine cars, they're just very 'ordinary' and not special in any kind of way. They'll get you where you're going, but it'll be a forgettable drive.

quote:

Station wagons have ruined me, I can no longer imagine life driving sedans D:

Absolutely. I drive a sedan now, but in the future it's wagons and hatches (and maybe a minivan at some point :ssh:) for me, for sure.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

They are.

Unless you were a stupid-head and bought the turbo awd version.

Assume you mean the Mazdaspeed6? Did it end up being unreliable? I had the same DI turbo 4 in my MS3 and it was a neat powerplant... Granted, the first motor fragged at 14k but that's not exactly widespread empirical data.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Took the girl and dog out to Kitsap Penninsula yesterday. This was taken at low tide in Seabeck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tremek posted:

Assume you mean the Mazdaspeed6? Did it end up being unreliable? I had the same DI turbo 4 in my MS3 and it was a neat powerplant... Granted, the first motor fragged at 14k but that's not exactly widespread empirical data.

They have some well known issues but it's not the worst car I've ever owned. Just lots of little things break and they usually end up being unique bits that only came on the MS6.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Crosspost, but 17k miles in a year, somehow (I don't commute, how did this happen) means it was time for new rears on the -V. So my buddy that mounted the new stuff helped me capture this on the soon-to-be-dismounted rears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfxIwfxakI

A year of ownership in now and the car is still a lot of fun. Going to the Virginia City Hillclimb again in a couple weeks, stand by for some GoPro etc. footage.

Rhyno posted:

They have some well known issues but it's not the worst car I've ever owned. Just lots of little things break and they usually end up being unique bits that only came on the MS6.

Got it. When they made the MS6 and shopping for my MS3 I was both simultaneously disappointed that they never put the AWD system in the MS3, nor did they go AWD/turbo in the Mazda6 wagon. Missed opportunity, Mazda!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NOICE

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Obviously after 160k you're going to have to replace poo poo, but I've never heard of the V6 motors having problems, it's been just the opposite with people raving about how good they are overall other than fuel economy which is pretty much normal.

They have evap system problems from the factory. They often leak at the crank seal if its a v6. and the speed six will develop an evap code or lean code for no drat reason. And I cant really say anything to bad about the four cylinders. They were actually good just people RICED the poo poo out of them and often lead to motor problems. Like blowing a hole in the block. Or setting a shitload of codes because you installed a Chinese CAI

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was that common across the board though, or is it better with later models?

Even those issues don't sound all that bad though, I could deal with a reasonable seal leak. Just a bit concerned because I'm planning on getting a 6 wagon in the near future, if not probably a Prius.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The big thing with my 6 was an exhaust leak last year where I ended up replacing the exhaust manifolds. There also seems to be a somewhat common issue with the cats on the headers clogging and taking the engine out; haven't seen that myself though. Lately I've been hunting down a vacuum leak and an EGR problem, but those are probably less specific to the v6. I may be overstating how bullshit it is because mainly the engine is large and kind of a pain in the rear end so it'd be nicer to wrench on if something smaller were in there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

organburner posted:

Kind of want to get a Galant with the 2.5 V6, but I have heard they have massive engine problems.

I thought it was the opposite - the 2.4 GDI is a ticking (literally) timebomb while the old 2.5l V6 is fairly solid just old fashioned (and comically thirsty)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Was that common across the board though, or is it better with later models?

Even those issues don't sound all that bad though, I could deal with a reasonable seal leak. Just a bit concerned because I'm planning on getting a 6 wagon in the near future, if not probably a Prius.

They got better and better with the later engines and model changes. Plus from what ive seen they broke the mazda rust curse. But the like 03-06???? (not sure on the exactness of that) had horrible rust issues and other issues. But getting a newer 6 wagon with a skyactiv 4 cylinder is a great idea. The skyactiv motor is pretty decent and the few I saw have an early death were from lube monkey mistakes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I'm in Florida so rust isn't an issue for me. I'll probably end up just getting a Prius anyway because it's all city driving and a 6 wagon will have poo poo mileage.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leica posted:

Well I'm in Florida so rust isn't an issue for me. I'll probably end up just getting a Prius anyway because it's all city driving and a 6 wagon will have poo poo mileage.

Does the Prius V qualify for this thread?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Unfortunately the newer Mazda6 wagon with the skyactiv 4cyl isn't sold in the US. FWIW my '04 has zero rust but I'm in Seattle where that's less of an issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FancyMike posted:

Unfortunately the newer Mazda6 wagon with the skyactiv 4cyl isn't sold in the US. FWIW my '04 has zero rust but I'm in Seattle where that's less of an issue.

As much as I dislike diesels in general I wouldn't mind a new auto Skyactiv-D 6 wagon - the engine/transmission combo works well

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Solar Coaster posted:

Took the girl and dog out to Kitsap Penninsula yesterday. This was taken at low tide in Seabeck.

Is the outback the girl or the dog?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

dissss posted:

I thought it was the opposite - the 2.4 GDI is a ticking (literally) timebomb while the old 2.5l V6 is fairly solid just old fashioned (and comically thirsty)

Doesn't really matter though, quick check reveals all the good V6 galants in my country are driven to poo poo :(

Maybe I'll import a Legnum at some point instead, lol.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Update on the wagon situation: No to Tauruses, can't seem to find any decent Focuses (Focii?) that aren't either driven to poo poo, or with an MVI that will last until my trip. Comedy option is a 2005 Focus for $300, sold as seen :v:

A few of my current choices are:

2002 Audi Avant. Has a 2-year MVI, some rust, but seems to have been kept well.
2003 Scooby Outback. 6-cyl, low-ish miles, MVI but it's from a dealership.
2001 BMW 3-series. MVI, dealership, high miles, otherwise sound.
2005 Volvo V70 TURBOWAGON. Has an MVI, really high miles, no AC, comes with a roof rack, 300K service just done. How do the non-redblock engines hold up?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cthulhuite posted:

Update on the wagon situation: No to Tauruses, can't seem to find any decent Focuses (Focii?) that aren't either driven to poo poo, or with an MVI that will last until my trip. Comedy option is a 2005 Focus for $300, sold as seen :v:

A few of my current choices are:

2002 Audi Avant. Has a 2-year MVI, some rust, but seems to have been kept well.
2003 Scooby Outback. 6-cyl, low-ish miles, MVI but it's from a dealership.
2001 BMW 3-series. MVI, dealership, high miles, otherwise sound.
2005 Volvo V70 TURBOWAGON. Has an MVI, really high miles, no AC, comes with a roof rack, 300K service just done. How do the non-redblock engines hold up?

2002 Audi Avant. - This is Audi's least reliable area. Early 2000s VAG cars are a nightmare, you will hate yourself.
2003 Scooby Outback. The subaru 6-cyls kinda suck. Far better choice than the Audi though.
2001 BMW 3-series. This is probably your best bet.
2005 Volvo V70 TURBOWAGON. No AC sucks, turbo volvo from that era is passable for reliability.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I vote the 3-series, I had a 2002 530 and have a 2003 330 currently and those BMWs from that era are sooo good

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Twerk from Home posted:

2003 Scooby Outback. The subaru 6-cyls kinda suck. Far better choice than the Audi .

How do you figure? I mean the fe isn't great, but otherwise that was a pretty solid motor.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
With that many kms I'd skip the Volvo unless the owner has a folder full of maintenance records and the 300K service included the replacement of the timing belt. Volvos of that era are really expensive to fix once they've accumulated some deferred maintenance and while they can tolerate it for a while it's cheaper in the long run to buy one that doesn't need a ton of work up front.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Price is too high on the Volvo, esp considering no a/c. Well, too high for US, dunno what they go for in the frozen north country.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

angryrobots posted:

Price is too high on the Volvo, esp considering no a/c. Well, too high for US, dunno what they go for in the frozen north country.
Who the hell needs A/C when you have a) windows, and b) Canada outside said window?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Who the hell needs A/C when you have a) windows, and b) Canada outside said window?

It currently feels like 98 degrees outside :gonk:

Heard back from the Volvo guy, the A/C "stopped working recently" when he "crashed into a truck" soo...I'll probably give that one a miss.

Trying to get a hold of the dealership to see if they have that BMW, otherwise it's time to play the waiting game for more cars to get sold!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Since you asked, a working climate control system is my personal litmus test of how an older car with no records has been cared for, outside of the obvious.

And even up there, a/c is very handy at defogging.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Good to see dealers back east are even less in touch with reality than they are out here:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/2002-subaru-legacy-l-awd-only-109000-kms/1093328683?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
THIS IS A $5000 CAR. :smithicide:

Here's a Focus wagon that doesn't appear to have started biodegrading:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/annapolis-valley/2007-ford-focus-wagon/1094808797?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or for something classy:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/1997-volvo-850/1085772403?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Albino Squirrel posted:

Most people tend to forget that apart from blowing cool air, A/C is also a very good dehumidifier, which I've found to be absolute essential in the slushy winters we get around here.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Most people tend to forget that apart from blowing cool air, A/C is also a very good dehumidifier, which I've found to be absolute essential in the slushy winters we get around here.
Seconding this. AC with the heater on and the vents set to recirculate will clear your poo poo right the hell up.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KozmoNaut posted:

This but also people forget that condensation loves a dirty as gently caress windshield and never ever clean the inside of theirs. Five minutes with some windex and a microfibre tower and you shouldn't need the defroster except on really lovely days.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah, that's a good point. I'm in Alberta which is rarely humid (or hot, for that matter). Also that's a good point that broken A/C (as opposed to never having had A/C installed) is a sign of a poorly maintained vehicle.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Would that Volvo make it across Canada? It's not a redblock and has a lot of miles...

There's also this;

Aww yeah

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As to the Volvos, the 5 cylinder is very reliable, but requires more maintenance than the iron block 4. Also that maintenance costs more. But all in all great cars. Avoid the years 2001-2002 when shopping, transmission trouble and throttle body trouble are fairly expensive time bombs in those years.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Legit suggestion for someone moving would be a GMT400 or GMT800 Tahoe/Suburban/etc. Cheap, large, plentiful, and relatively reliable.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/1989-volvo-760-turbo-wagon-reduced/1090516512?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

buy it buy it buy it (and spend some of what you save having a mechanic fix the hatch and electrics) :getin:

LloydDobler posted:

As to the Volvos, the 5 cylinder is very reliable, but requires more maintenance than the iron block 4. Also that maintenance costs more. But all in all great cars. Avoid the years 2001-2002 when shopping, transmission trouble and throttle body trouble are fairly expensive time bombs in those years.

Don't forget the 2000 V70Rs with the 5-speed shardbox.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 19, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

8ender posted:

This but also people forget that condensation loves a dirty as gently caress windshield and never ever clean the inside of theirs. Five minutes with some windex and a microfibre tower and you shouldn't need the defroster except on really lovely days.

Yeah, they get shockingly dirty somehow. When I got my current car (used), the windshield wasn't that horrible (but still needed at cleaning). But the rear window was hella nasty :gonk:

I cleaned half of it, and the other half looked like it had tint on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

atomicthumbs posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/1989-volvo-760-turbo-wagon-reduced/1090516512?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

buy it buy it buy it (and spend some of what you save having a mechanic fix the hatch and electrics) :getin:

Don't forget the 2000 V70Rs with the 5-speed shardbox.

I did see that right when I started looking, and I was stuck in the "I don't want to have to fix poo poo, I'd just like to change the oil, maybe the timing belt, and then head out" - now I'm realising that this isn't possible in Nova Scotia on my budget I might actually consider this...:getin:

I had a look at the BMW 3-series last night. There's some rust, and the AC is also busted, but it drives alright. Buddy is going to take a look at the AC today and see what's up, then it might be a possibility.

I'm looking forward to becoming a wagon person :allears:

• Locked thread