Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i also remember watching some weird as gently caress health video in school from the 70s where a young boy wanders around a zoo and looks at animal dicks until he asks a janitor about why dudes have different size schlongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

So yeah, all these anectdotes from America are shocking to me.

You guys are showing kids live births and graphic pictures of deformed genitals to the point where people are passing the gently caress out, and its America's approach that shocks you? Really?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

We got to put condoms on styrofoam dicks. I messed mine up (rolled it on the wrong way) :downs:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VagueRant posted:

So yeah, all these anectdotes from America are shocking to me.

You tend to only hear the wacky stories. I went to a Catholic school and got a talk in the 6th grade that covered all the basics and contraception. Other than a few guys laughing at bits, it was about what you'd expect. Competency is boring as gently caress to talk about though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In Colorado we were shown a video called "safe kids strong kids" because they always teamed up sex ed with "don't talk to strangers" week. The video features Henry Winkler as The Fonz and as himself. There was a song about using the proper words for body parts.

And it's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQpjPEIqGI

We also watched the PBS Nova special "the miracle of life" and had a teacher talk to us. This was before the abstinence only stuff started (it was the early nineties) I think, so it was all pretty informative about birth control and STD (referred to as venereal diseases) prevention. I went to school in a pretty liberal area though (Boulder County schools)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Schizotek posted:

I went to a glorious Baptist-run christian school. I was taught that all gay sex involved shoving lightbulbs or arms (it made sure to emphasise that most did it up to the elbow) up your partners rear end before dying of AIDS. This included lesbians. The standard "condoms are useless" bullshit applied as well.

That is if the damage to your colon didn't kill you first. :stare:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i also remember watching some weird as gently caress health video in school from the 70s where a young boy wanders around a zoo and looks at animal dicks until he asks a janitor about why dudes have different size schlongs

Ah, yes, Am I Normal.

BigRed0427 posted:

That is if the damage to your colon didn't kill you first. :stare:

Fisting can go pretty far up the forearm sometimes. Schizotek's teacher was just into some decent kink.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's never Lupus.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ty for giving me the relief that i did not concoct this video in some sort of weird animal dick dream

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ty for giving me the relief that i did not concoct this video in some sort of weird animal dick dream

For years, until there was a GBS or PYF thread about all of this that I might have started, I couldn't find that specific video. I'll always remember the line "Well, in my line of work, I see a lot of penises."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Could be worse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbovskICjk

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh god, he's pulling a Colbert.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The number doesn't seem to be in service.. :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Freaquency posted:

The number doesn't seem to be in service.. :(

It works now

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

According to the site (might have missed it if they said anything on the show), donations to the church will apparently be used to benefit Doctors Without Borders if anyone wants to participate in this experiment.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Any word on what was supposed to happen when you call? Or got through and can spread the word?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

hubris.height posted:

Any word on what was supposed to happen when you call? Or got through and can spread the word?

It gives you the address a bunch of times but then also screams GIVE ME YOUR MONEY a bunch of times.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

GonSmithe posted:

It works now

Hmm, wasn't working on my phone but I got through on my gf's just fine.

hubris.height posted:

It's a recording of Oliver getting increasingly more desperate and demanding for donations. Give it a shot, its a good chuckle, or wait for it to pop up on YouTube shortly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Make EGGSPLOSION happen, New Zealanders.

Make it happen.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
http://www.ourladyofperpetualexemption.com/

Donations eventually go to Doctors Without Borders.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm curious why Mississippi, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Nevada are exempt. Do they have stricter definitions of what a church is that preclude it from being valid there?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Gonna put a check in the male asap. Gonna plant my seed deep inside The Lord.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The Good Day Columbus clip is perfect in every way

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The whole site is a giant donate button, I love it.

Gonz posted:

Make EGGSPLOSION happen, New Zealanders.

Make it happen.

Eggsplosion is scrub tier

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Freaquency posted:

Hmm, wasn't working on my phone but I got through on my gf's just fine.

It's a recording of Oliver getting increasingly more desperate and demanding for donations. Give it a shot, its a good chuckle, or wait for it to pop up on YouTube shortly.

Someone already uploaded it.

https://soundcloud.com/callme-steve/1-800-this-is-legal-recording

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really wonder how long until the RWM goes after him for trivializing religion.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

pentyne posted:

I really wonder how long until the RWM goes after him for trivializing religion.

Fox News: "This just in. John Oliver hates Jesus and wants to kill all Christians."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

Fox News: "This just in. John Oliver hates Jesus and wants to kill all Christians."

worse

he's an immigrant

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

worse

he's an immigrant

And by HBO hiring him, he took a job from an American.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mo0 posted:

I'm curious why Mississippi, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Nevada are exempt. Do they have stricter definitions of what a church is that preclude it from being valid there?

Yeah I want to know this too. The answer to that would be an interesting aspect of this whole thing.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

This has to be one of my favorite episodes yet. :allears:

This is obviously one he has been wanted to do for a while (with the 7 month correspondence thing) and you can definitely see his passion in this episode. This is the most I've laughed at LWT for quite some time.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
As someone who grew up with a parent that was giving away 10% of every check to these assholes, while being unable to put food on the table, I really appreciated this episode. It's a sad circle of predatory behavior and it feeds off of people who are looking for hope in their life. I don't see this causing anything to change, or taking down any of the big 'uns, but it is nice to hear the issue addressed. Especially with this kind of passion and humor.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah I found this to simply be too depressing to really enjoy it. Holy crap what absolutely demons these people are, taking from dreadfully poor people so they can buy mansions and multiple jets

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Do you want to learn something funny about prosperity preachers and weird censorship?

FYI the group genesis made a song called "Jesus he knows me" mocking prosperity preachers in the early 90s. Why am i talking about that? Because since the start of august of this year, EMI music decided to censor reupload the clip on their official youtube, removing over 1 minutes of Phil Collins parodying a prosperity preacher, but you can still see that part here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja0Hs7Ryth0

So at first i was "okay, they are just editing it so it's only the song, no big deal". But then i realized they also "edited" two parts of the clip: the part where one of the preachers get caught in a bathroom having sex with a man and another part where another preacher is relaxing in a pool surrounded by nearly naked women. And they replaced both those parts with more innocent scenes from the making of.

The best part? Apparently you can't access the now heavily edited Vevo/Emi video clip of the song from the United State anymore.
Original video clip of the song
Official EMI video of the song, it got nearly 2 million views in 6 years with the original video clip of the song but now it's the edited, 1 minute shorter video.
Dailymotion VEVO edited video of the song

I realized that last friday and next sunday, John Oliver tells me to TOUCH THE SCREEN. Definitively a miracle.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's sorta really depressing how many people are giving these people money expecting something in return, like their buying lottery tickets of faith that will pay off big one day so long as they pay for this guys second private jet.

I just don't quite understand the mindset that doesn't immediately recognize them for the snakeoil sellsmen and sleaze that they are.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just don't quite understand the mindset that doesn't immediately recognize them for the snakeoil sellsmen and sleaze that they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogma

"Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true. It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dead Precedents posted:

And by HBO hiring him, he took a job from an American.

He's married to a veteran so he is supporting our troops...

But he's married to a veteran so he's TAKING OUR WOMEN!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's sorta really depressing how many people are giving these people money expecting something in return, like their buying lottery tickets of faith that will pay off big one day so long as they pay for this guys second private jet.

Well there aren't any scams that start out by saying you lost the dick contest, as the smallest dick entered please send your penalty fee to this address. To get in there you have to tell people something they want to believe and then they'll help the rest of the way by looking at your bullshit in the kindest possible light. That lady couldn't have said it any plainer. Do you want to go through chemo, which will definitely suck, or would you like god to magic you healthy? Please give today.

Plus once someone is "in" with you, once they're trusted, anything they say goes right past your usual bullshit detectors. Think about the dumbest thing you ever convinced your own mother of. Something that when she called the neighbors asking if they heard about the student who wanted to get away from a test and was crawling around in the rafters and fell through the ceiling tiles right on the teacher's desk in a cloud of plaster dust and said "I didn't do it, it wasn't me" and everyone laughed and then high fived your son and they said no that sounds dumb is your child lying to you?

A Mr. Show skit had a bio for a civil war reeanctor guy and said he was a two-time state yelling champion who has dreams of one day finding a box of money. Aren't we all two-time state yelling champions who have dreams of finding a box of money? Give me a thousand dollars and your odds of finding a box of money just shoot through the goddamn roof, I tell you what.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Mr. Show also had a church of Satan episode that is oddly reminiscent of Televangelists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A trending topic on Facebook right now is something like "John Oliver's Last Week Tonight says some televangelists are scams".

Some?!

• Locked thread