Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Yes it obviously was and how could he not realize that by now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

blue squares posted:

I guess he thought he could talk to her as a couple of adults. Which was a dumb thing to think.

Lol JMac doesn't converse as an adult either - he grunts and mumbles mostly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Johnny Mac is burying himself because he can't stand Vanessa's bullshit and is just speaking truth to her. I appreciate that but it's bad gameplay.

And yes, Vanessa pretty much has been the prime mover in the house all along. Her getting people to turn against John is just another example. I don't even think it's game, I think she legitimately is like "can you believe this guy?!?!" which is what helps make it so convincing. If she believes something, it's easier for her to convince others of it. She's smart and she's an extremely powerful player despite being sort of crazy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
For the sake of those just watching the show, Steve, Vanessa and the Austwins have been in a semi-legit alliance for about 4-5 weeks now. He along with Shelli and Clay knew Julia before she even entered to play for herself. The "Scamper Squad" went by Freaks and Geeks, but apparently the copyright concerns kept it from every being a thing until they renamed themselves this week.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Did the people voting out Shelli instead of Vanessa make a mistake? I say yes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

And yes, Vanessa pretty much has been the prime mover in the house all along. Her getting people to turn against John is just another example. I don't even think it's game, I think she legitimately is like "can you believe this guy?!?!" which is what helps make it so convincing. If she believes something, it's easier for her to convince others of it. She's smart and she's an extremely powerful player despite being sort of crazy.

I find Vanessa interesting, because out of many seasons of Big Brother and Survivor, I imagine she plays a game closest to how I'd (unintentionally...) end up playing. Vanessa is smarter than everyone else in the house, and knows it. She knows all the strategy shenanigans but can actually hold a conversation and be social etc... but her anxiety issues completely undermine her game. It doesn't matter how rationally you can plan everything out, you're going to make bad decisions when you lose objectivity and start freaking out about "what is this person does THIS?! What if that person does THAT?! Are people coming after me? PEOPLE ARE COMING AFTER ME!!!". I can armchair quarterback with the best of them, but I think the anxiety and paranoia would get to me in much the same way were I to be on Survivor or BB.

Vanessa has made a fairly big mistake going after JM here. There's a group of 3 in her own alliance, and a group of 3 in the opposing alliance. JM and Steve were floating around ready to be picked up by Vanessa for her own solid core alliance of 3. She's basically destroyed any possible path to the finals. She may not go home next week, or the week after, but everyone else is now either in core alliances with numbers she can't overcome (Austwins and Meg/Becky/James), or gunning for her individually (JM).

She's toast.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop

Popero posted:

He was really dumb to not just butter her up when they were downstairs though. Twins and Austin are handling their frustration with her MUCH better.

By the same token why didn't Vanessa just apologize? That was some bad management. She has to know her days are numbered with the AusTwins. It's bad gameplay to not be trying to up her social game with the other people in the house. It's too bad because I was definitely rooting for her before this week.

Savahontas fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 17, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How does the rules and twists in Big Brother always encourage nearly unanimous votes? I watched a bunch of early season, which largely had splintered alliances banging up against each other all the time. But for the past few years every vote has felt completely 100% decided, to the point where anyone on the perceived minority switches their vote anyway.

Is it the tight living conditions? Some veto game theory stuff? Tradition?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Narcissus1916 posted:

How does the rules and twists in Big Brother always encourage nearly unanimous votes? I watched a bunch of early season, which largely had splintered alliances banging up against each other all the time. But for the past few years every vote has felt completely 100% decided, to the point where anyone on the perceived minority switches their vote anyway.

I think that the introduction of the Battle of the Block caused it.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Britt Burns posted:

Lol JMac doesn't converse as an adult either - he grunts and mumbles mostly.

He does that in the DR, but the televised portion of his conversation with Vanessa was coherent. Maybe the conversation was edited unfairly, but Vanessa came off as pretty wild-eyed and confrontational, whereas Jmac was calm and cogent.

Vanessa's later assertion that JMac is "crazy" or whatever makes me believe that there was more to that conversation but maybe that was just shade.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Even though they know their alliance is on the wrong side of the house, people still try to "vote with the house" to keep from looking like they are on the outside and looking like easy targets. It's just weird strategy.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Savahontas posted:

By the same token why didn't Vanessa just apologize? That was some bad management. She has to know her days are numbered with the AusTwins. It's bad gameplay to not be trying to up her social game with the other people in the house. It's too bad because I was definitely rooting for her before this week.

Totally agree, I just think she's hyper defensive and doesn't seem able to take much in the way of criticism. Even a non-apology apology works there: "I'm sorry if you felt I was bullying you, that wasn't my intention at all, I just freaked out because I wasn't going after you at all and I wanted to get to the bottom of where that came from." Boom, done, let's move on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shakugan posted:

Vanessa has made a fairly big mistake going after JM here. There's a group of 3 in her own alliance, and a group of 3 in the opposing alliance. JM and Steve were floating around ready to be picked up by Vanessa for her own solid core alliance of 3. She's basically destroyed any possible path to the finals. She may not go home next week, or the week after, but everyone else is now either in core alliances with numbers she can't overcome (Austwins and Meg/Becky/James), or gunning for her individually (JM).

She's toast.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Austin and the twins are in such a good position now it's kind of funny.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vanessa's justifications to other people when she gets questioned are always some form of "but I set this up so that the other person had a reason to do this to you, so I don't understand how it's my fault." It's absolutely hilarious. She has impeccable skill at the game parts, she's just a bit on the sperger side whenever that skill becomes the least bit transparent.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Tellah posted:

He does that in the DR, but the televised portion of his conversation with Vanessa was coherent. Maybe the conversation was edited unfairly, but Vanessa came off as pretty wild-eyed and confrontational, whereas Jmac was calm and cogent.

Vanessa's later assertion that JMac is "crazy" or whatever makes me believe that there was more to that conversation but maybe that was just shade.

Yeah, JMac looked like the sensible one after that conversation. Vanessa has come off as too emotional a few times in the game, and this was one of those moments. JMac told her how he felt in the past, and she couldn't seem to handle that information. He wasn't even saying anything that bad, IMO, and if she were actually trying to build a relationship with him, she should have been able to see that this was Step-1 in mending the prior issues. Instead, she has made another enemy in the game.

This is why I agree with this post...

Shakugan posted:

She's toast.

Other than some huge stroke of luck, I don't see Vanessa lasting much longer. The other side of the house see her as the biggest target in the house, and will be gunning for her the next chance they get. She is weakest link in her own alliance, as Austin and the twins are tighter with one another. Even though she's the best player remaining, she is also the biggest target.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
I'm not so sure. I think Vanessa is at risk next week for sure, but I don't think her own alliance is dumb enough to turn on her yet. Then in a couple weeks, we'll have the buyback winner as public enemy #1, and people will really be looking at Austwins as a target. Once we get close to the end and people are really thinking about final 2, Vanessa pissing everyone off is going to turn from a downside to something that gets her further.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Tellah posted:

It was very heavily edited together. They were talking a LONNNNNNG time and most of it was him being impossible to talk to while she tried again and again. She was overplaying it hilariously bad, but he was underplaying hilariously bad... it was the clash of the two worst social players in the house.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I wonder if Shelli came back if that would be a lifeline for Vanessa, she really needs someone to roll with going forward. Shelli seemed to think in her conversation. With Julie that Vanessa had screwed her though, so who knows, she might rather play with Johnny Mac and Steve anyway.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

rafington posted:

I'm not so sure. I think Vanessa is at risk next week for sure, but I don't think her own alliance is dumb enough to turn on her yet. Then in a couple weeks, we'll have the buyback winner as public enemy #1, and people will really be looking at Austwins as a target. Once we get close to the end and people are really thinking about final 2, Vanessa pissing everyone off is going to turn from a downside to something that gets her further.

I should clarify -- I don't think Vanessa's alliance will turn on her for another few weeks, but I think she's on the outside of Austin and the twins. I just don't think she's in the best position to go to the end of the game, as of right now. Of course, things can change, but I do think that if the other side of the house gets back in power next week, then she will be their target.

I think she's the best player left in the house, though. Well, she may be the only player left in the house.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spiky Ooze posted:

It was very heavily edited together. They were talking a LONNNNNNG time and most of it was him being impossible to talk to while she tried again and again. She was overplaying it hilariously bad, but he was underplaying hilariously bad... it was the clash of the two worst social players in the house.

Yeah, no way did Johnny play that situation well. It actually started as Vanessa wanting to work with him and Steve to counter the Aus-Twins and he just kind of unnecessarily was confrontational and gave Vanessa nothing to feel good about. The whole thing just dragged and dragged because Johnny never reassured her once, even with something worthless. And that just set Vanessa's anxiety off.

Johnny was being terrible all the way leading up to noms and even going back a week or so. He doesn't talk to people, game wise or socially. He's walking around the house depressed. He didn't even bother to talk to the HOH until that Vanessa thing. Vanessa didn't set Johnny Mad up as a target, he already was one because of his terrible gameplay. The show just has interest in making him not seem like the worst player of the season since he's one of the most entertaining characters.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Twin Cinema posted:

Other than some huge stroke of luck, I don't see Vanessa lasting much longer. The other side of the house see her as the biggest target in the house, and will be gunning for her the next chance they get. She is weakest link in her own alliance, as Austin and the twins are tighter with one another. Even though she's the best player remaining, she is also the biggest target.

It seems fairly stupid of them to see Vanessa as the greatest target.

Austin, Julia and Liz are in place to be the final three, unless someone stops them. They'll never vote each other out, and Liz is the center of that alliance and is probably going to make it to the end. Liz is the big target, not Vanessa.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're 100% right. Liz is the most dangerous player in the game and the biggest target in it right now. Problem is they let Aus-Twins get too deep in the game. They should have taken them out weeks ago pre-jury/pre-Julia. Now if anyone takes out Liz they've got two pissed off people coming for them. And the numbers are down far enough that 2 people gunning for you and 3 pissed off Jurors is scary.

It doesn't help that the whole house is divided into disloyal solos and duos. The show skipped the part where Meg and James told the Aus-Twins they were cool with Becky and Johnny going up. They're all playing for themselves and and Aus-Twins are simply a larger power. They've also done a great job socially so that no one in the house wants to be the person to betray them and take the heat. So they're all hoping that someone else will do it and every week Aus-Twins get more powerful, and closer. If they had taken out Austin weeks ago the Twins would have gotten over it because Julia hated him and Liz was still kind of using him. Now the showmance is real and Julia is warming on Austin.

Vanessa's an easy target and that whole Meg/James/Becky side of the house have gone for easy targets all season. Its why Sixth Sense dominated the first half of the game, because they were able to use that to let them make big moves and take risks. It cost Clelli and Vanessa but the Aus-Twins have managed to skate through with most of their threats neutralized and Vanessa taking the heat.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Johnny-Vanessa conversation was actually one of the conversations I managed to watch on the feeds and it's hard for (me personally) to place blame squarely on Johnny there. It's a total personality and gameplay clash. Vanessa is very confrontational and Johnny seems like the kind of person who either just doesn't care or doesn't want to be put in that kind of position. It's true that the whole time he was basically sitting there and going "uh huh, yeah" to her and had no interest in what she was saying.

But having listened to Vanessa monologue multiple times (seriously, especially with Johnny, she tends to just talk at people instead of really with them -- I'm sure we've all known a person who does that) I don't know if I'd be able to handle it myself. A lot of what she says is very hypocritical too but she blows up so bad so most people don't really call her out on her poo poo.

I agree that he hasn't done much gameplay talk or positioning with other people though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I don't blame him SOLELY. Vanessa is obviously deeply flawed too. That was as much about Vanessa being a liar, manipulator, and anxiety ridden as Johnny being passive and dense.

But context matters and Vanessa was in a safer position than Johnny. And even if Vanessa is a mess and hard to deal with she's someone the entire house has to deal with. Johnny and Becky have probably had to deal with Vanessa the least of anyone in the house and yet they've dealt with her the worst and were the first to get frustrated and throw up their hands. Most people know to smile and tell Vanessa what she wants to hear. That's the game, to avoid making enemies. Johnny didn't play it and he made an enemy out of someone who was actively looking to recruit him as an ally.

Next time, Johnny, just make her feel safe and then go scheme behind her back. Don't tell her to her face that you're not a fan.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think he cares.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh my gaaaaaaawwwwwd, hello TV people. :)

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

For T.V. only people, that makeout sesh stopped just before Austin gave Liz his own version of the 5 Finger Plan.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I don't blame him SOLELY. Vanessa is obviously deeply flawed too. That was as much about Vanessa being a liar, manipulator, and anxiety ridden as Johnny being passive and dense.

I totally agree with this. That whole conversation was a master class in why the two of them are great players with ridiculous, glaring flaws.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Haha Vanessa just can't turn it off can she?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Popero posted:

Haha Vanessa just can't turn it off can she?

Always on gamebot that is currently not functioning correctly.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Glad non feeders get to see how paranoid and over playing Vanessa really is, I find the edited episodes haven't really shown anything but the tip of her iceberg when it comes to that.

And drat, Meg went down hard. That was pretty brutal.

Not really a spoiler, but Becky got hurt somewhat seriously and they didn't really show anything about that.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Audrey and Clay did the RHAP show wrap up tonight... it was really good and worth a watch.
Clay and Audrey in the same room... together.

I wish we had more of the insightful Audrey now than the one who got bounced off the show.
Pretty sure Audrey knows where she hosed up too and owns up to it.

Also for shits n giggles here is Audrey picking up Clay at the airport.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKTkNzExOTMzMTM3fDY1MTM2OTczSa60oyhUi8--R8FSGCq_0bQ0ZqR0vsJP9UNRMGNEZYY=

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

What the gently caress. This is Periscope? This is awful. It's like texting and driving times a hundred. And you can't even fast forward.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SuperSpiff posted:

What the gently caress. This is Periscope? This is awful. It's like texting and driving times a hundred. And you can't even fast forward.
And this will be gone in 24 hours.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Austin's tattoo's look really loving freaky in the dark. Now I worry about what mine look like.

I laughed pretty hard at Meg's fall because I'm a bad person.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Johnny and Becky both look so uncomfortable sitting in those chairs...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
With the knee-high socks Johnny Mac looks like a kid at an English boarding school.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Johnny and Becky both look so uncomfortable sitting in those chairs...

Well Becky is hopped up on pain meds and Johnny apparently huffs laughing gas every time he goes in the DR.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't like Steve from an entertainment standpoint, but that was the most fun family segment ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Steve isn't a great player or character but he's an all together nice guy who hasn't had the easiest time in the house. So I'm fine knowing he's getting the Donny treatment. There's gotta be one socially awkward but perfectly nice person in the house, I guess.

And I guess the week to kill time on him is the week two floaters no one in the house really cares about are on the block.

• Locked thread