Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
anyone have any tips for flags? i have a background in graphic design so i'm thinking i'll just print them, but i'm unsure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There are times where blood effects look pretty cool. It is a game where many people are messily butchered, it fits the setting, when someone uses the gore effects delicately rather than slamming red paint onto the miniature it looks great.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Post 9-11 User posted:

... when someone uses the gore effects delicately rather than slamming red paint onto the miniature it looks great.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be too delicate, either. Sometimes the blood effect on a sword looks like the weapon was very carefully dipped into a pot of blood, rather than looking like it just hacked into a dude. There should be a little splatter/messiness around the point of impact, not all over half the model.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Printed flags look as good as the amount of effort you put into them. Make use of Photoshop's paper texture filters, add weathering and make sure you double print the image so that the ink is nice and saturated, and they'll look good. Also, insert some thin copper wire between the layers of the flag when you glue the sides together so that you can pose it the way you want.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Case in point:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

Case in point:

All I see is the hair/dust/bristle on his nose.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LordAba posted:

All I see is the hair/dust/bristle on his nose.

As someone who has become more conscious of how hard it is to keep dust and debris off of models and in the paint (and who paints large white areas) I wamt to give a friendly but firm "gently caress you" for noticing these things

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

As someone who has become more conscious of how hard it is to keep dust and debris off of models and in the paint (and who paints large white areas) I wamt to give a friendly but firm "gently caress you" for noticing these things

This is one reason I never take super close zooms of my models. The other is that I'm a poo poo painter.

But yeah, it is the worse.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I get them all the time too. At this point I just don't care. I hardly every notice them tbh

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
loving scrubs painting outside of positive pressure clean-rooms

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Case in point:

motherfucker LOVES him some koolaid

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moola posted:

motherfucker LOVES him some koolaid

That isn't supposed to be Kratos face paint?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That image is at least ten times larger than the actual miniature. I've said before how Painter Vision can make people have conniptions about teeny tiny imperfections that no one else will ever notice. I scaled-down the image, this is still larger than the model but it's more true to life:

That's pretty loving cool. He is splattered with gore but it's not like someone smeared a red crayon over it. This guy has been bustin' some heads.

The World Eaters legion colors work really well on a thematic level, too. All the blood and viscera these soldiers wade through is a stark contrast on their white uniforms.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Martian Skitarii have a sort of white checker pattern lining their red robes:

What's a good technique to learn to paint a pattern like this?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GreenMarine posted:

Martian Skitarii have a sort of white checker pattern lining their red robes

They're cogs.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I'm painting my Talisman figures as learning activities before going on to my new warmachine army. Here's the Wizard and a frog. Frog isn't great but the wizard looks alright. These are the first things I've painted after some Bones minis in the Reaper learning kit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is there a good source of non-ribbon greenstuff other than the GF9 pack? I'm going through an astonishing amount thanks to my Basius pads and I'd love to be able to buy a bigger quantity.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
It's sold for around $16 a tube at a lot of hardware stores, brand name Kneadatite.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Don't buy Kneadatite for stuff like that, just buy a tub of Magic Sculp on Amazon. It's epoxy putty, but you get a fuckload of it for cheap, and it holds detail just as well as green putty.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

Honestly, it's just a super simple design to paint on. You could paint two thin white lines parallel to each other and then paint in equally spaced horizontal lines, so it'd look like a ladder. Then you could fill in every other one in white, and go back with the base color and cover up the extra construction lines. If you wanted to make them even you could eyeball it or just try painting dead center between every two points and kind of subdivide it further and further from there.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Silhouette posted:

Don't buy Kneadatite for stuff like that, just buy a tub of Magic Sculp on Amazon. It's epoxy putty, but you get a fuckload of it for cheap, and it holds detail just as well as green putty.

You can also mix it with greenstuff to get better properties for hard surface modelling.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got some painting done over the weekend! :woop:

My phone has a cracked camera lens :( pictures come out blurry on the left side of the image but these are 'quickie' WIP shots anyway

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That is a freaking gorgeous Knight.

I did a new thing!

The lighting is kind of poo poo and I need to clean up I know but I wanted to grab a picture before I varnished it. I got a poo poo-ton of dreads from the guy who sold me his extra Marines - I'm going to have a unit of three standard dreads with lascannons (and fists with heavy flamers or missile launchers) and a unit of two venerables with plasma cannons and fists/flamers. Always loved dreadnoughts and now they should be semi-viable.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Danimo posted:

I'm painting my Talisman figures as learning activities before going on to my new warmachine army. Here's the Wizard and a frog. Frog isn't great but the wizard looks alright. These are the first things I've painted after some Bones minis in the Reaper learning kit.

those cool dudes need some washes imo

I like your froggie

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Silhouette posted:

There we go, that's what I'm talking about. Not cheap to ship it, but that's going to last a while.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Danimo posted:

Can't believe I missed those! Agree with the skelebro - they're pretty solidly blocked out for the different colors. A simple wash - brown if you want to go with the easy option, color-specific for a cleaner deeper richer look - should make the shadows pop. Then you just clean up the brightest areas with the original paints and boom, they'll look even better.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Moola posted:

those cool dudes need some washes imo

I like your froggie

Those guys have been sprayed with finish so they are done, but I had been kinda afraid of overdoing the wash.

I was just using black paint and water, should I be using some kind of dedicated wash substance?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Danimo posted:

Those guys have been sprayed with finish so they are done, but I had been kinda afraid of overdoing the wash.

I was just using black paint and water, should I be using some kind of dedicated wash substance?

Anyone have a good tutorial for glowing/overheating gun barrels?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Silhouette posted:

Magic Sculp is (as far as I can tell) the same stuff as Apoxie Sculpt, which is great for bulking up parts and bases and the like, but is kind of poor at handling details. If you're looking to make a large figure from scratch then it's great stuff to have because then you can just use greenstuff over it for the finer details such as faces, clothing, fur, etc.

It should be fine for Basius pads however, since that's just a press-mold.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rantmo posted:

There we go, that's what I'm talking about. Not cheap to ship it, but that's going to last a while.

I use standard yellow-grey Milliput for my basius bases now, down here at least it's 1/3 the price of kneadatite/greenstuff

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Danimo posted:

Yes. Much easier than paint+water. If you have access to Army Painter stuff, buy the Soft Tone+Strong Tone+Dark tone washes (those in dropper bottles, not those in metal cans). Soft is for skin and light colors, Strong is universal for midtones and heavier darkening, Dark is black so for metal and dark colors like grey or blue.
If you only have access to GW paints (you poor thing), their equivalents are ?(forgot) Sepia, Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil.

VVV: most P3 paints are really good, but their washes are noticeably different. And don't touch their metallics.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 17, 2015

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Yes. Much easier than paint+water. If you have access to Army Painter stuff, buy the Soft Tone+Strong Tone+Dark tone washes (those in dropper bottles, not those in metal cans). Soft is for skin and light colors, Strong is universal for midtones and heavier darkening, Dark is black so for metal and dark colors like grey or blue.
If you only have access to GW paints (you poor thing), their equivalents are ?(forgot) Sepia, Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil.

My local game shop has a bunch of Citadel stuff, I'll see if they have it but probably not. The owner uses all the P3 & Army Painter stuff himself and hasn't restocked any of it.

I'll just order the army painter stuff online, I need to get a real red paint anyway. I had to get a bottle from Michaels since no local shops had any red.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Danimo posted:

My local game shop has a bunch of Citadel stuff, I'll see if they have it but probably not. The owner uses all the P3 & Army Painter stuff himself and hasn't restocked any of it.

I'll just order the army painter stuff online, I need to get a real red paint anyway. I had to get a bottle from Michaels since no local shops had any red.

Keep in mind that you can usually order through the gamestore too. Most gamestores have no issue with adding your stuff to their usual order and holding it for you. This isn't always the best way to get stuff (sometimes you can get a better deal online), but if you're not ordering a bunch of stuff, the lack of shipping costs can make it worthwhile. It also helps out your FLGS and shows them there's some demand for the stuff you're ordering.

Of course, there's the occasional gamestore that gets pissy about doing special orders, or neglects to put them in, but if yours is even halfway decent, they'll be willing to put the order in for you, especially if you pay some or all of the cost up-front. It really comes down to whether or not your FLGS likes making money.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Uroboros posted:

Anyone have a good tutorial for glowing/overheating gun barrels?

Found this on From the Warp for heat stained barrels, but that's a bit more after-the-fact.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-paint-heat-stained-gun-barrels.html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JackMann posted:

Keep in mind that you can usually order through the gamestore too. Most gamestores have no issue with adding your stuff to their usual order and holding it for you. This isn't always the best way to get stuff (sometimes you can get a better deal online), but if you're not ordering a bunch of stuff, the lack of shipping costs can make it worthwhile. It also helps out your FLGS and shows them there's some demand for the stuff you're ordering.

Of course, there's the occasional gamestore that gets pissy about doing special orders, or neglects to put them in, but if yours is even halfway decent, they'll be willing to put the order in for you, especially if you pay some or all of the cost up-front. It really comes down to whether or not your FLGS likes making money.

That's what I do. The delivery comes in on Thursdays, I pick up my stuff Friday after work, and usually place another order for the next week.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Does anyone have any advice for making a paint job on a shield look like it was done hastily by an illiterate peasant? I know that someone posted a valhallan army that had the sort of effect I'm looking for but any advice would be helpful.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

fleshy echidna posted:

Does anyone have any advice for making a paint job on a shield look like it was done hastily by an illiterate peasant? I know that someone posted a valhallan army that had the sort of effect I'm looking for but any advice would be helpful.

Paint drunk?

Painted up some of my Zombicide models as a quick tester and a break from 40K stuff, got these guys done in half an hour, not counting the priming and varnishing:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

fleshy echidna posted:

Fray your brush and then cut it short

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
My annoyance with being completely unable to photograph this Skiavoros (along with needing to take good pictures of other things) made me go out and buy a real deal light tent. Savage makes really nice ones with integrated LED panels if you're looking for low frustration. My post-processing routing needs some work, but I'm on the way to figuring that out. Exposure and color correction is hard. Reshot my Kornak and took some pictures of a Sogorat while I was at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Those models are really cool and you did a splendid job painting them.

GreenMarine posted:

Keep it simple and use hard edges to your advantage. I'm not going to try to make words to explain this visual process and it's not to scale so sue me:

1) Sloppy, long line
2) Block it in to get the general shape
2) Fill in that extraneous white you don't need
4) Now, block-out the teeth
5) Lastly, draw a nice straight line down the edge, the rounded "tip" of the start and end of your line are camouflaged in the blocks on the end

This uses long brush strokes to create hard, right-angle corners. Otherwise, you'd need to carefully paint in those corners one at a time which would take ages and ages. Checkers aren't so different, with Lamenters I base coat white, create a grid in black, then fill it in with black. That means they are not true checkers, more like a windowsill, but at this small scale the eye tends not to notice.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 18, 2015