Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've used every galaxy device since s3 and touchwiz is a shell of what it used to be. The only thing they have that you can't get rid of now via apps, themes, or customization is the lock screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

5.1.1 updated on my Verizon S6 this morning. Here's hoping they did it right.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
My only complaint with the S6 is how often it kicks games out of memory for a 3GB device. Split screen is very useful, the fingerprint sensor just works, beautiful display and fast processor... It may in fact be a Good Phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

I've used every galaxy device since s3 and touchwiz is a shell of what it used to be. The only thing they have that you can't get rid of now via apps, themes, or customization is the lock screen

Not that I care much either way, but notification pane? Settings? Performance and update issues related to Touchwiz not being stock? Also hardware buttons, though that isn't a Touchwiz issue per se :)

E: I agree in general, anyway, that replacing the launcher and keyboard and stock apps with the Google equivalent makes Samsung stuff a lot more tolerable. The same is true of LG. Not great, but a lot better than when you first turn the phone on.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 16, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Not that I care much either way, but notification pane? Settings? Performance and update issues related to Touchwiz not being stock? Also hardware buttons, though that isn't a Touchwiz issue per se :)

Those first two are addressed with the theme store, you can even go straight Material design.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

My only complaint with the S6 is how often it kicks games out of memory for a 3GB device. Split screen is very useful, the fingerprint sensor just works, beautiful display and fast processor... It may in fact be a Good Phone.

Ehhh... My wife's s6 won't alert on new hangout messages unless the app is open when on cellular, and only fires alerts for all the ones sent when she was out when she comes back home and hits WiFi. I don't think that is Sprint fuckery, rather us getting samsunged. Also when wireless charging it beeps each time it hits full, so it starts pinging again and again at night as it tops up. No option to shut that poo poo off.

It is a nice piece of technology, but still very much a Samsung. If apple wasn't so hateful with the Google apps in ios I would be pitching her to iPhone but she won't have it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

So I killed my Turbo today at work. Dropped it on some jagged steel screen down and shattered it good. It's stuck in a boot loop now with no picture at all. Took it to Verizon on my lunch break and luckily a couple reps there had heard about the free one time replacement Moto offers us special snowflakes, and got the ball rolling on that for me. Being that I have insurance also, they overnighted me a "certified like new" replacement but I may not have it until Monday what with the weekend.

Two of the reps there tried to tell me Motorola offers no such thing and that I didn't have insurance so maybe this belongs in the Verizon thread but just a heads up for you Turbo folk.

What exactly is this snowflake insurance thing you're talking about?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

Ehhh... My wife's s6 won't alert on new hangout messages unless the app is open when on cellular, and only fires alerts for all the ones sent when she was out when she comes back home and hits WiFi. I don't think that is Sprint fuckery, rather us getting samsunged. Also when wireless charging it beeps each time it hits full, so it starts pinging again and again at night as it tops up. No option to shut that poo poo off.

It is a nice piece of technology, but still very much a Samsung. If apple wasn't so hateful with the Google apps in ios I would be pitching her to iPhone but she won't have it.

Or you could just not buy a Samsung.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Logikv9 posted:

This current generation of phones is just awful because it's either a consistent poo poo sandwich (Samsung), a laughable hype-train device that is impossible to actually obtain (Oneplus), not out yet (Nexus), somehow worse than touchwiz (LG), a portable stove for emergency situations (HTC), or gutted and soon to be replaced with literal malware okay device (Motorola).

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.

Phones are better than they've ever been lmfao

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

vyst posted:

I'm intrigued on how the Samsung is a poo poo sandwich

It's a buggy compilation of good hardware and awful software. I've been using the S4 and then the Note 4 afterwards, and the best thing I can call them is a half-hearted attempt.

The look of Touchwiz is meh, but that's purely aesthetics and I've learned to live with it. What suffers is the massive amount of pre-installed Samsung apps that always find a way to keep running in the background, or override any other app (I'm looking at you, Music app). It's badly optimized for the fast hardware it's built upon, and my Note 4 stutters all the time on the stupidest things. Clicking multi-tasking lags for 2-3 seconds before anything shows up. Gallery takes forever to load. I'm drowning in a list of problems that I have with it. What it boils down to is that the phone can't keep up a consistent user experience and I want a change.

I've heard that the newer devices (S6 and newer) are better, mostly because Exynos doesn't throttle constantly. I've played with a few, and that poo poo is buttery smooth. But it still exists on top of the badly optimized mess of software that Samsung has cooked up, and it's likely just using its hardware to brute-force performance into acceptable ranges. You also just know that updates will get slower and rarer as soon as the next cycle comes up. My S4/Note 4 were also amazing pieces of technology when I first bought them, but somewhere down the line something always just breaks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Logikv9 posted:

My S4/Note 4 were also amazing pieces of technology when I first bought them, but somewhere down the line something always just breaks.

This is true of almost every piece of technology.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Super Dude posted:

This is true of almost every piece of technology.

But its Samsung so it falls apart faster and is much more noticeable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ will only run you $800 when it's released.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

So what's the consensus on Ambient Display on the Nexus 6? I looked back at the beginning of the thread just to check and didn't find much talk about it.

It's useful for just glancing over to see what the notification is (especially if you're using something like a Tylt). It auto turns the screen on when it thinks it's being picked up but it isn't foolproof. Haven't seen any hit to battery.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Those first two are addressed with the theme store, you can even go straight Material design.

Ah OK, that's cool then. I didn't realize they went that full on with themes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's useful for just glancing over to see what the notification is (especially if you're using something like a Tylt). It auto turns the screen on when it thinks it's being picked up but it isn't foolproof. Haven't seen any hit to battery.

Awesome, thanks.

Just trying to see what I can do with this thing. The standby time is absolutely amazing.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't know who cares but I'm getting all day [9 AM to 11 PM or so] and 6-7 hours SOT on my Note 5 for the last week. I like this thing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Godinster posted:

I don't know who cares but I'm getting all day [9 AM to 11 PM or so] and 6-7 hours SOT on my Note 5 for the last week. I like this thing.

You notice any issues with the GPS? That seems to keep popping up when I've researched the Note 5.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
When it comes to wireless charging is it any difference to order

Anker
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y839YMU?psc=1

or

Official Samsung

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Charging-Wall-Charger/dp/B00UCZGS6S/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

What exactly is this snowflake insurance thing you're talking about?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-screen-assurance-faqs/

There is a promo with the Droid Turbo, wherein you get one free replacement due to broken screen, provided it happens within 2 years of purchase.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-screen-assurance-faqs/

There is a promo with the Droid Turbo, wherein you get one free replacement due to broken screen, provided it happens within 2 years of purchase.

Dude, thats awesome.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

You notice any issues with the GPS? That seems to keep popping up when I've researched the Note 5.

I've used it a few times in town with no issue. Can't say I've tried it extensively.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bob A Feet posted:

Dude, thats awesome.

Yeah, just make sure you're well versed in it if you need to use it because I was halfway out the door on my way to pursue other options before they stopped me and said "oh hey you're right about that thing"

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My replacement Anker battery for my LG G3 apparently just poo poo the bed after 10 days. Today I tried taking a picture with flash and the phone shutdown immediately after firing the flash. It's now throwing the "Invalid Battery" message and shutting down upon boot.

I've googled and this seems to be a common issue with the LG G3 and aftermarket batteries. I already emailed Anker however I'm SOL without a working phone till they send me a warranty replacement battery. (Original battery is unavailable, neither is my back up Maxx)

Are there any other solutions out there? I tried clearing cache, deleting battery stats, and inspecting the battery pins to no avail.

Obviously this is a sign I need to pick up a Nexus 6 :v:

Edit: What brick and mortar stores might possibly carry a LG G3 battery?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 17, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

JayKay posted:

Edit: What brick and mortar stores might possibly carry a LG G3 battery?

Your wireless provider.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

JayKay posted:

My replacement Anker battery for my LG G3 apparently just poo poo the bed after 10 days. Today I tried taking a picture with flash and the phone shutdown immediately after firing the flash. It's now throwing the "Invalid Battery" message and shutting down upon boot.

Did LG seriously DRM its batteries? :psyduck:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Any advice for a really durable USB cable? Googling finds me a lot of suggestions for cables with durable cords, but what I'm really after is durable, um, heads? My daughter LOVES to break the tip of her chargers and I'm pretty sure she's going to ruin her Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (I know, big loss, right? What a piece of poo poo). The best cord I've found just randomly happens to be a usb transfer cable I got with a Harmony remote. It sort of "clicks" in and doesn't wiggle around much. As a side note, that cable charges my phone fast as poo poo.

Any suggestions?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Any suggestions?

Teach your children to stop breaking poo poo.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Any advice for a really durable USB cable? Googling finds me a lot of suggestions for cables with durable cords, but what I'm really after is durable, um, heads? My daughter LOVES to break the tip of her chargers and I'm pretty sure she's going to ruin her Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (I know, big loss, right? What a piece of poo poo). The best cord I've found just randomly happens to be a usb transfer cable I got with a Harmony remote. It sort of "clicks" in and doesn't wiggle around much. As a side note, that cable charges my phone fast as poo poo.

Any suggestions?

Check out Anker cables. I got one of the 10 ft ones and it has that snug feeling your'e looking for. Of course, this may vary cable to cable... YMMV

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Sounds more like it was a lovely battery and something broke internally causing the phone to not be able to "talk" to it properly (like maybe getting voltage or temperature readings, which are moderately important).

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Dunno if anyone still gives a poo poo but the Moto G3 camera continues to be adequate:

(zoom's not so great)

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

LastInLine posted:

Or you could just not buy a Samsung.

...because we should have reasonably expected this wacky poo poo with Samsung versus another android phone on loving sprint (she won't leave her 35 dollar plan to go to a real carrier)? I don't get the buyer beware bullshit when it is literally the only noniphone no allegedly poo poo android device.

She wanted dat camera. She got it. We were so wrong though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Any suggestions?

The cables are supposed to be weaker than the connector on the device - the theory being that it's easier to replace a cable than the port.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Daily Forecast posted:

(zoom's not so great)

I doubt the phone has been made that does optical zoom. Digital zoom is always terrible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

pun pundit posted:

I doubt the phone has been made that does optical zoom. Digital zoom is always terrible.

How so very wrong you are: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/galaxy-s/SM-C1010ZWABTU and http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n93i-1823.php

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

...because we should have reasonably expected this wacky poo poo with Samsung versus another android phone on loving sprint (she won't leave her 35 dollar plan to go to a real carrier)? I don't get the buyer beware bullshit when it is literally the only noniphone no allegedly poo poo android device.

Sprint is terrible, and T-Mobile has a $30/month prepaid plan.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Any suggestions?

Just get one of these. :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

To be fair, everyone should do that for exactly the reasons you'd think. It forces the consumer to use an OEM battery which they can sure meets the proper specifications because when phones do explode all over a person's genitals, it's the battery which was the cause. You'd think they'd DRM them just to reduce lawsuits (although IANAL so maybe the increased liability that comes with being sure all the components for every device which does explode are all definitely yours isn't worth the tradeoff of fewer exploding devices overall due to people swapping the battery. :shrug: )

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The best cord I've found just randomly happens to be a usb transfer cable I got with a Harmony remote. It sort of "clicks" in and doesn't wiggle around much. As a side note, that cable charges my phone fast as poo poo.

Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions but I do agree with you, the Harmony USB cable is the best. It clicks firmly in every jack, it has a velcro wrap, and it has a little handle for gripping the small end. It's been my go-to cable since I got it.

Turnquiet posted:

I'm seriously not trying to come off as blaming the victim here but it's tough. You're certainly right, you shouldn't have to know that Samsung makes garbage, you should be able to assume that everything the carrier sells, or at least recommends, is going to be fine. However you "don't get the buyer beware bullshit"? Um, the carrier has no incentive to point you to anything but the device which gives the salesperson the biggest kickback. Samsung is the only Android OEM which markets its devices and it's only going to say how great they are. If the buyer isn't going to be beware and is going to choose to listen to sources which have only incentives to lie to you, what result would you expect? Bearing in mind that Samsung not making poo poo devices is not an option.

If you care about the camera and you're locked into Sprint, buy an iPhone. If that doesn't appeal to you then you really don't have a good option as you've discovered.

nocal posted:

Sprint is terrible, and T-Mobile has a $30/month prepaid plan.

Even if nocal's suggestion of T-Mobile doesn't work, surely Cricket's (and thus AT&T's network) plan at $45 does. The speed is capped but it what with it being on a real network it's slow for AT&T but like twice as fast as the theoretical maximum which you never get on Sprint and the coverage is good.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 17, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If I wanted to buy a replacement Galaxy S6 fast charge cable where could I get one on the cheap?

I assume Monoprice would be good, but what's the proper cable that would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Logikv9 posted:

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.
Everything is a compromise and the phone designs all look blargh. The leaked images of the Nexus 5 2015 rear look good and minimalistic enough, but I'm sure they're loving over the front with some big rear end bezel as already speculated based on leaked specs.