Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If CDPR doesn't make The Witcher 4 after Cyberpunk I'm gonna be mad, since Cyberpunk is probably not gonna be released till like four years from now at their usual rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snak posted:

Someone mentioned that they didn't think you had to kill any trolls for major quests. What can you do about the one guarding the master armorer tools in Skellige? or is that one just feral?

There are multiple entrances to that room, you can aggro the troll, get it to chase you to one end of the room and then run the gently caress away and leave by the other side and get far enough away that you drop out of combat. It should still be all the way over on the other side of the room, and you can can come back in and loot the stuff you need and then leave.

All that said, it IS a feral troll, it won't communicate at all, but if you're anything like me you'll feel like a monster if you kill a troll so it is nice you can get around being forced to do that.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Also mastercrafted armor means almost nothing on DM if you've gotten that far. As the author would say several times, pirouette.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack of Hearts posted:

Also mastercrafted armor means almost nothing on DM if you've gotten that far. As the author would say several times, pirouette.

Geralt doesn't smile nastily enough in the games.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just found out the hard way that I can't get all the Gwent cards since I didn't do the Old Pals quest at the right time :smithicide:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you sure? The only one I can think of that's time sensitive is Lambert, and you can get the card he gives you from playing Eskel at Kaer Morhen later.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Sharmat posted:

Are you sure? The only one I can think of that's time sensitive is Lambert, and you can get the card he gives you from playing Eskel at Kaer Morhen later.

I haven't tried playing Eskel, but I need to play Vernon Roche first and he won't talk to me. He's still there in his hideout but the interaction prompt doesn't appear. I don't know where Thaler is at this point, and I also need to win a card from Dijkstra who's dead.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh, you're that far in the game. Ok yeah, you're hosed. Sorry.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

NG+ is out on Xbox.
http://imgur.com/CMyZUY7

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Does anyone have a good list as to what quest items correspond to which item codes? Makes using cleardevelop a total pain in the rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

webmeister posted:

I haven't tried playing Eskel, but I need to play Vernon Roche first and he won't talk to me. He's still there in his hideout but the interaction prompt doesn't appear. I don't know where Thaler is at this point, and I also need to win a card from Dijkstra who's dead.

From the sounds of things you've already done Reason of State, so you may be out of luck unfortunately. Try looking for Thaler at one of the inns in Novigrad, I forget exactly which one but I think it is the Inn of the Seven Cats - he might have returned there, it is where he hangs out before that quest is activated. Otherwise, maybe look in the theater?

As for Roche, you may be screwed unfortunately, all I can recommend is leaving the area entirely and coming back in the hope that an interaction becomes possible. If not, I guess it's possible it might become available again after you've completed the game (I believe you get to return to the in-game world, I haven't quite reached the end myself yet).

I also missed Lambert for that quest, but I've played Eskel already so I may have already gotten the card.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there a definitive list of what you keep/lose if you start NG+? I heard you lose all of your gwent cards which is a bummer if true.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

My guess is that this isn't supposed to be out yet. Download at your own risk I would say.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is there a definitive list of what you keep/lose if you start NG+? I heard you lose all of your gwent cards which is a bummer if true.

It's stickied at the top of /r/witcher.

You do lose your gwent cards. I was really pissed about this when I heard. Now I don't mind so much. On my second playthrough, I've found that playing gwent with bad decks, now that I'm really good at it, is much more fun than I would be having if I were steamrolling the AI's noob decks with the best deck I could build.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah the only fun to be had with Gwent is in the early game when your dick is poo poo, on a replay

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah the only fun to be had with Gwent is in the early game when your dick is poo poo, on a replay

They really need to have ongoing gwent tournaments around the map. Have like 3 difficulties with increasing buy ins or just let you bet actual interesting amounts of money. It's still fun to play against good decks (when you have a decent deck, I mean) but they're only in the side missions.

On the PS4 I was surprised at how few people have the trophy for winning the tournament.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd like them to randomize the starting cards somewhat. I never play anything but Northern Realms and a bit of Nilfgaard near the end because you always start with a functional Northern Realms deck.

I mean, I know monsters and scoia'tael are subpar, but it would be nice for some variety.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

They really need to have ongoing gwent tournaments around the map. Have like 3 difficulties with increasing buy ins or just let you bet actual interesting amounts of money. It's still fun to play against good decks (when you have a decent deck, I mean) but they're only in the side missions.

On the PS4 I was surprised at how few people have the trophy for winning the tournament.

Well, that's because unlike the rest of gwent matches, winning the tournament required save-scumming if you lost. For all the other gwent quests, if you lost, you could just play them again. In the tournament, if you lost, you failed the quest. So anyone who didn't care enough about the tournament to reload after a failure just wrote it off. There's tons of casual gamers who are on the fence about gwent.

What gwent really needs is multiplayer. Gwent may not be a flawlessly designed game, but it's as deep as many fun irl board games. The biggest weakness of gwent is that it's only playable against an AI. The AI is easy to read and manipulate, in ways that human player would not be.

That said, there are some tweaks I would make. "Poor loving Infantry", for example, is one of the worst cards in the game. Cards that are comically bad for no reason are a waste of space in a collectible card game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There have been several incarnations of an online gwent program but I think they got cease and desisted every single time in short order so CDPR may be planning something in that regard.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Sharmat posted:

There have been several incarnations of an online gwent program but I think they got cease and desisted every single time in short order so CDPR may be planning something in that regard.

Or they hate fun. They've been allegedly paying critics (Angry Joe,etc.) for positive reviews, according to my idiot roommate.

Or they really are making something,which is the more likely option.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Angry Joe has been a huge fanboy of the series for years. I doubt they'd have to pay him.

Also their marketing budget wasn't really big enough to be spending money bribing every nerd with a youtube channel.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Sharmat posted:

Angry Joe has been a huge fanboy of the series for years. I doubt they'd have to pay him.

Also their marketing budget wasn't really big enough to be spending money bribing every nerd with a youtube channel.

I remember people jumping on the :bandwagon: because some morons claimed that Other Joe ( a nickname for one of AJ's friends) told him/her that CDProjekt paid Angry Joe,and everyone just believed them instead of going "That's a load of loving poo poo." like smart people.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 17, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I mean, I'll believe in any kind of corruption in the review process. The state of games journalism is pretty lovely. But It's more about ad revenues and previews than actual direct exchanges of money. And CDPR's marketing budget for this game is solid, but feeble by AAA game standards. It's kind of silly to think they'd go around giving money to B-list internet celebs for positive reviews. We can at least by skeptical in our skepticism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, I think that it's important to point out that unscrupulous marketing shouldn't really reflect poorly on a game's developers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well I think it should, a bit. But primarily on the journalists, since if that kind of thing goes on, they're the ones compromising the integrity of the service they're meant to offer their readers/viewers/whatever.

it's about ethics in monster hunting

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Angry Joe and his pals are in the game as retarded trolls so if they got paid it was maybe related to that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

as retarded trolls

You could have just said trolls.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
EA had an arrangement with youtube notables that delayed their negative criticism of BF4 for a few months. It wasn't very subtle considering BF has always had terrible launches. People want to be drip-fed content ahead of others even if it has strings attached, this is why press junkets exist. CDPR is a long way off if they want to destroy their reputation so stranger things have happened.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Sharmat posted:

You could have just said trolls.

Are trolls really dumb as poo poo, or are they just really bad at common speech?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Are trolls really dumb as poo poo, or are they just really bad at common speech?

One of them made a fence out of boats to guard the boats.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

One of them made a fence out of boats to guard the boats.

It prevents anyone stealing the boats, can't argue with that logic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Delacroix posted:

EA had an arrangement with youtube notables that delayed their negative criticism of BF4 for a few months. It wasn't very subtle considering BF has always had terrible launches. People want to be drip-fed content ahead of others even if it has strings attached, this is why press junkets exist. CDPR is a long way off if they want to destroy their reputation so stranger things have happened.

I think they still do contact Youtube people, or at least that's the only reason why I can think they'd literally all say "on the battlefield" at least twenty times per video

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fishstick posted:

They're dumb as poo poo.

They have an odd intuitive understanding of bridge construction and are excellent painters though. Different species, different neural architecture, different talents.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally finished the game, ran into an annoying bug in the last quest (a previously completed quest - Reason of State - popped up as failed somehow) which I thought actually changed the outcome of the game (suddenly Nilfgaard was fleeing in terror of the mighty King Radovid, who died squealing and making GBS threads himself a few days earlier, but then when everything wrapped up it seemed to take into account that the quest was successfully completed. Now that I feel safe about looking things up, I am very happy with the end result I got - Ciri stops the White Frost, and with the Wild Hunt dead she and Geralt fake her death so she can finally be completely free - she becomes a Witcher and he gives her a new sword. Temaria becomes a vassal state but continues to exist while the other old kingdoms are swallowed up into just becoming another part of the Empire. Geralt retires to the country with Yen where they live happily ever after :shobon:

The only odd thing I thought was the complete lack of mention of what happened with the Lodge of Sorceresses, in particular Philippa Eilhart, since they seemed to be a pretty major plot point in the game.

This game has probably replaced New Vegas as my favorite modern RPG, I expected it to be good but I had no idea it would be as amazing as it was. I can't wait to play the expansions, and I really can't wait to try out Cyberpunk.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Snak posted:

I could have learned Polish by now.

I have detected an untruth

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Well I think it should, a bit. But primarily on the journalists, since if that kind of thing goes on, they're the ones compromising the integrity of the service they're meant to offer their readers/viewers/whatever.

it's about ethics in monster hunting

Is Angry Joe considered a journalist? I thought, much like almost every internet reviewer, he's more a screamer of bad jokes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Youtube personalities aren't press and should not be viewed as such. They have no journalistic integrity because that's not their job.

I don't think Angry Joe is considered (or considers himself) like that but I don't actually know much about his stuff.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The easiest way to get good reviews is to make a good game. (Not easy to make a good game, though). If it were possible to buy a 10 from Gamespot there would be more of them. Youtubers mostly generate viewership through excitement and energy, that usually means that they polarize and decide if something is THE WORST or THE BEST, as long as you make something good enough to not be THE WORST there's no need to ask them to say something nice about your product, it's built-in.

The discrimination between press/not-press is super murky right now, and I don't think you'd get any agreement on the subject regardless of the sector, it's not just games. I think what people mean when they say something is press or not press is "you should trust this outlet" or "you cannot trust this outlet". People also tend to paint all of youtube with a single brush, and I think that's also unfair.

Even at our youtube media event we had a pretty broad range of personalities. There was one guy who does pretty serious long-form games criticism. There was AJ, who mixes serious criticism with comedy*. We also had some pretty normal LPers.

*(Alleged)**

**(I'm just giving him a hard time, his stuff is fine)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 17, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

So what's going on with NG+? Heard that it released today without announcement on Xbone but nothing on PS4 yet as far as I can tell.

e: oh I see the first post on this page mentions this. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

So what's going on with NG+? Heard that it released today without announcement on Xbone but nothing on PS4 yet as far as I can tell.

e: oh I see the first post on this page mentions this. Sorry.

Twitter says it should be out everywhere by tomorrow (Tuesday)