Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure that monster lunging at a woman on the ground was just trying to help her back onto her feet.

"The scarlet angel will, in time, transform, and gentle beasts will appear. Their names are many." does seem to imply that they will not be harmful, at least to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Could be that, just like the people at the start of the episode, they begin to be nosy about people's problems.

"Are you okay? Do you need help?"

But what happens when they find people who don't want help to solve their problems? What then? Will they be forced to accept the help? And what if the solution is worse?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Gelu-lu-lu-lu solves everything. He understands.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is too cute

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gatcha~

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Best of the lot

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it could really only be improved by hat and cat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is a neat blog.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

whoa. temptation....

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

gel is getting fat for some reason, I hope this isn't weird mpreg stuff

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

Local Girl Ruins Country, Gets Alien Pregnant.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

On the bright side at least this didn't happen with Gel's first form.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I did not expect this to actually happen, what the loving poo poo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i'm gloomy

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

a kitten posted:

i'm gloomy

Couldn't resist, its too good.

I do like the theory that those face monsters are gonna be the annoying helpful kind of things, though I wonder how Gel will react if majority opinion swings away from him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A good avatar, but you should've waited.

.jpeg knows how to make the backgrounds invisible.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I kinda like it with the coloured background, makes the animation more visible then it would be on a transparent background.

But eh, either way, only out 5 bux

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fair enough.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah. I think those work with the backgrounds because unlike screen grabs the color is specifically chosen.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's hip to be square.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This episode made me actively dislike Tsubasa even though I know she's just misguided and simple-minded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

This episode made me actively dislike Tsubasa even though I know she's just misguided and simple-minded.

Misguided and simple-minded can do a shitload of damage.

That said, I wonder if the show could have benefited from Tsubasa's stance being given a bit more nuance and sympathy. Having the everygirl character be a dimwit with awful opinions about everything does seem to fly in the face of the show's positive, humanist message, especially since the show does usually try to make even those making bad decisions likeable and human. I mean, Rui was kinda-sorta-technically an antagonist for much of Season One, and he's always been one of the most sympathetic characters in the show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

Misguided and simple-minded can do a shitload of damage.

That said, I wonder if the show could have benefited from Tsubasa's stance being given a bit more nuance and sympathy. Having the everygirl character be a dimwit with awful opinions about everything does seem to fly in the face of the show's positive, humanist message, especially since the show does usually try to make even those making bad decisions likeable and human. I mean, Rui was kinda-sorta-technically an antagonist for much of Season One, and he's always been one of the most sympathetic characters in the show.

I dunno, for the most part the average person, who Tsubasa is our stand in for, seem to be genuinely happy and content with things as they are right now. Her stance is shown enough sympathy from that. It's just that she, and most people, are thinking in the short term, which we know is going to some bad poo poo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, in Tsubasa's defense, things have worked out so far and most people seem to be happy with how things are. Also the people who get the dangers of the situation are a dude with his own horse in the race, a dude in jail and Twitter Buddha. None of these have been able to communicate their concerns effectively to Tsubasa for various reasons.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

All these overtly cynical takes on Tsubasa's character is kinda surprising, cause she's like, the one character in the show I can emphasize with even a little bit. Actually going through some form of struggle, having a family you see and outwarldy matters to her and impacts her life and not being an actual moon person helps a lot there, tho.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, in Tsubasa's defense, things have worked out so far and most people seem to be happy with how things are. Also the people who get the dangers of the situation are a dude with his own horse in the race, a dude in jail and Twitter Buddha. None of these have been able to communicate their concerns effectively to Tsubasa for various reasons.

I don't think 'people in-universe agree with her' is quite the same as 'her viewpoint is treated as sympathetic'. The show is fairly clearly making her look dumb (her standard argument is literally 'I'm too clueless to understand what you mean') and telegraphing that bad poo poo's going to go down in a way that I don't think other... uhh... antagonists? Misguided people? ... whatever have received. Jou, Rui, and even VAPE-dude seem to have been afforded a bit more dignity and validation by the story, despite also taking the country down dangerous paths.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think 'people in-universe agree with her' is quite the same as 'her viewpoint is treated as sympathetic'. The show is fairly clearly making her look dumb (her standard argument is literally 'I'm too clueless to understand what you mean') and telegraphing that bad poo poo's going to go down in a way that I don't think other... uhh... antagonists? Misguided people? ... whatever have received. Jou, Rui, and even VAPE-dude seem to have been afforded a bit more dignity and validation by the story, despite also taking the country down dangerous paths.

Well, the theme of the show is communication, and so far everybody has failed to communicate their concerns to Tsubasa. Note that all of Rui's arguments in the show have been on an abstract and theoretical level about the future potential of humanity and so on, even when he knows full well that he's talking to someone who doesn't share his interest in intellectual activity. He probably is right, but what good does that do if you can't get that through to the everyman and furthermore, shouldn't he realize this and communicate accordingly? It seems like the question the show asks here is what the point of being "right" is if you can't make people understand why.

Conversely it's clear that Tsubasa is trying to do the right thing, but fails to communicate her point of view effectively. Also note that she's the only one that seems to have put in the effort to understand how to communicate with Gel, and is the only one that's there for him when he's distraught and thus the only one who knows the pressure that Gel is under. She also seems to be the only one (except Twitter Buddha) to see Gel primarily as a person rather than a tool for political ends, a threat or a magical fix-it button. This alienates her from the rest of the team and prevents useful communication even when it's really needed, such as when the magical emotion alien literally reaches the breaking point.

Therefore I wouldn't say that Tsubasa has been treated unsympathetically, just differently. It's kind of similar to how Hajime was portrayed in the first season, which makes me suspect another bait and switch. Besides that I think the show will be going for the idea that most of the problems here could have been avoided if there had been proper communication within the Gatchateam instead of people talking past each other.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Actually going through some form of struggle, outwarldy matters to her and impacts her life and not being an actual moon person helps a lot there, tho.

Jou, Sugane, and Rui have all of those too. Sugane less this season than last but still. To think she's the only relatable person for these reasons is kinda dumb.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Jou, Sugane, and Rui have all of those too. Sugane less this season than last but still. To think she's the only relatable person for these reasons is kinda dumb.

Do they? Slipped my mind. I remember having their one problem each that Hajime solves instantly in most cases because Hajime. I certainly never found any of them relatable characters so much as hollow viewpoint mouthpieces. Hell, Jou and Rui still are.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jou has already been shown to be pissed at himself for helping get Gel elected and Rui is still trying to get through to Tsubasa why what she's doing is short-sighted and will help no one. Rui is being a mouthpiece, but it's very clear that he's been struggling this entire series to get through to other people especially since he went to Rizumu for help.

Tsubasa has been going through poo poo, but none of that wasn't brought about by her own way of thinking nor does it absolve her and actively ignoring other people who are trying to talk with her about it. She's going to come around, because of course she will, but you cannot say she is the only relatable character and ignore the fact that half of this season has been just as much about Rui's poo poo too.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Berg Katze is the most relatable character

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Do they? Slipped my mind. I remember having their one problem each that Hajime solves instantly in most cases because Hajime. I certainly never found any of them relatable characters so much as hollow viewpoint mouthpieces. Hell, Jou and Rui still are.

Rui comes to his own solution and realization in the big finale while all by himself and sees his faith in humanity restored. Jou gets over his shame and fear of failure thanks to Sugane showing him how much good Jou's actions as a person did for him.

Sugane's problem was being too rigid and closed in on himself, struggling to do anything that isn't just following orders and falling into the rut that is normal selfish thinking. Admittedly a lot of his personal growth does come from his relationships with Hajime and Rui, but they ultimately are fulfilled by his actions to inspire Jou and aiding the good crowds to stop the Neo100.

And I don't understand how you can think they're hollow mouthpieces without lumping in Tsubasa since she, at least as far as this season has gone, has spent every moment of discussion or debate going "But I'm simple and don't like to think about things. How's an average person like me supposed to understand what you're saying!" She's the most static argument in the show. At least Jou and Rui show progress and change through Season 1 and The election/Talks with VAPE BOY. Jou is angry at himself for betraying his ideals by using bad means to possibly achieve a good end and Rui is questioning if what he did with CROWDS was really the right thing to do. Tsubasa is just doubling down on her blissful ignorance, which the show is obviously setting up for some twist or turn, but it does make her feel more static, more character and less like a person.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Lessail posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, the theme of the show is communication, and so far everybody has failed to communicate their concerns to Tsubasa. Note that all of Rui's arguments in the show have been on an abstract and theoretical level about the future potential of humanity and so on, even when he knows full well that he's talking to someone who doesn't share his interest in intellectual activity. He probably is right, but what good does that do if you can't get that through to the everyman and furthermore, shouldn't he realize this and communicate accordingly? It seems like the question the show asks here is what the point of being "right" is if you can't make people understand why.

Conversely it's clear that Tsubasa is trying to do the right thing, but fails to communicate her point of view effectively. Also note that she's the only one that seems to have put in the effort to understand how to communicate with Gel, and is the only one that's there for him when he's distraught and thus the only one who knows the pressure that Gel is under. She also seems to be the only one (except Twitter Buddha) to see Gel primarily as a person rather than a tool for political ends, a threat or a magical fix-it button. This alienates her from the rest of the team and prevents useful communication even when it's really needed, such as when the magical emotion alien literally reaches the breaking point.

Therefore I wouldn't say that Tsubasa has been treated unsympathetically, just differently. It's kind of similar to how Hajime was portrayed in the first season, which makes me suspect another bait and switch. Besides that I think the show will be going for the idea that most of the problems here could have been avoided if there had been proper communication within the Gatchateam instead of people talking past each other.

I'd agree there's miscommunication going on, but I'm not sure where the show places the blame for that. Is it because the more enlightened folks need to sharpen their communication skills, or is it because the less enlightened folks are too dumb and impatient to pay attention to their cryptic knowledge? I could be wrong here, but so far it seems like it's been leaning towards the latter.

There have been a few shots this season of Hajime getting frustrated at being unable to adequately articulate herself, but in the first season, at least, the onus seemed to be on everyone else to start listening to and appreciating her so she could help sort their lives out. A lot of Tsubasa's arguments have been framed like that, too. The one that really stands out to me is her blowing up at her grandpa. He doesn't do much effort to convince her of his point of view, even if his arguments are solid and incisive, but the framing suggests that it's because what she's saying is so dumb and so thoroughly disproven by history that it's just not worth his effort. That shot of him glancing at his dead relative in an IJA uniform is particularly potent.

There's also the way things have ended up - poo poo has hit the fan on Tsubasa's watch, and everyone else's responsibility is much less direct. It's theoretically possible that Hajime, Rui, and her grandpa will go 'sorry for not adequately explaining the problem with what you were doing before you dissolved the government, replaced it with a gameshow, and then got your alien boyfriend pregnant with 4chan and drowned the country in screeching monsters from the id', but I'm not seeing it as likely somehow.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love this dude's stuff.

He should do one with the battle dress as well.
and the bunny ears.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He'd better not skip Paiman.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Baal posted:

She's going to come around, because of course she will, but you cannot say she is the only relatable character and ignore the fact that half of this season has been just as much about Rui's poo poo too.

The show likes making Rui suffer, sure, but I dunno that I agree that it's half his tale.. Or maybe I just don't care? The Gel election stuff was already so so much more compelling on its own than Rui and whathisface's dopey contest of busted, strawman ideals( a contest that started all because whatshisface just wanted to prove that "nah we suck tho") and we see way more of Tsubasa's life as a person and not just as the voice fighting for CROWDS, but this was a problem from the first season, too. He just comes off as underdeveloped and it's hard for me to relate to his lofty beliefs when he's either just driving around, spouting philosophical babble at whoever will listen or being constantly shat on for said lofty beliefs before we even get to see their power or practicality demonstrated.

I really don't care about Jou. He starts Insight sounding like a vaguely fascist creepo, and his "struggle" amounts to muttering to himself in anger and suddenly going "nah, I'm not cool with this now" due to ????? while watching people do breathing exercises in the park. Maybe that moment would've had a lil more bite or pathos if something big just happened, say, if they waited till the "Let Sadra Handle It" plot point came up(they didn't really do anything with THAT, either) or something, but as it was, like, I dunno. I get his reasons, but it just seemed to come from nowhere. Then he just washes his hands of the business, despite being basically as culpable for Gel's rise to power as Tsubasa was, and has done jack but moan and brood since. So in addition to being the "But the masses cannot be trusted" mouthpiece, Jou's kind of just a boring rear end in a top hat.

I'll cop to finding Tsubasa's recent turn for the strawman as annoying as the rest of you, but I find watching her, even while making mistakes, more compelling than almost any other character in the show(OD is cool, and I'd almost call the soundtrack a character in itself, if only cause it does most of the dramatic heavy lifting), BECAUSE she makes mistakes. At least they're hers to make and not just a way for the narrative to punish her for going down the wrong path. Not holding my breath Insight won't do that, but for a show that purports to speak on human nature, she's been the one human feeling person across both seasons. I just buy her more than anyone else. Again, we actually get let in to her life, her ups and downs, her family and the ugly struggles therein, her weird relationship with the alien dictator she's compassionate for. I don't even buy that she's been that much of a negative force in the story. She enables Gel and buys too readily into his ideas, but hey, not like she came up with the idea of willfully sacrificing one's civil liberties via smartphone vote(and imo she was in the right for breaking up Rui's idiotic, impromptu attempt at martydom.) She wants to do the most good for the most people however she knows how, and as far as she, or we, know, Gel is "what the people want."

This clashes weirdly with the whole idea of whether Gel indirectly influences peoples' emotions or not as opposed to just being inhumanly charismatic, but even that right there is what I'm talking about. Beyond just finding her the most relatable char, Tsubasa and Gel provide a shade of ambiguity a show like this desperately needs to help its medicine go down.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lessail posted:

Berg Katze is a boob.

• Locked thread