Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Festival in question has had at least one Israeli band play it before (Hatikva 6, it was a good show). Kind of a shame about the festival, really.

I think artists should perform regardless of politics. It's a fantastic way of getting your point across mental boundaries as well as physical borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miftan posted:

Festival in question has had at least one Israeli band play it before (Hatikva 6, it was a good show). Kind of a shame about the festival, really.

I think artists should perform regardless of politics. It's a fantastic way of getting your point across mental boundaries as well as physical borders.

Contrariwise, the point of a boycott like this is to treat the nation as an international pariah, which requires people agreeing to shut it out intellectually as well. You could argue that this is only going to radicalize things further, but that assumes that all that's necessary to bring peace is for enough people to buy Israeli products with an ethical attitude.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Effectronica posted:

Contrariwise, the point of a boycott like this is to treat the nation as an international pariah, which requires people agreeing to shut it out intellectually as well. You could argue that this is only going to radicalize things further, but that assumes that all that's necessary to bring peace is for enough people to buy Israeli products with an ethical attitude.

What does this have to do with having a private citizen, a Jewish American, no less, sign a loyalty oath?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I admittedly know next to nothing about Matishayu beyond a quick google search, which brought up this article five years ago in response to backlash over the gaza flotilla raid:

quote:

"Oh boy," he says, fiddling with his grey beard and peyot. "I am blown away by the one-sided media coverage. Whether or not the ships should have been bringing aid to Gaza, those territorial waters belong to Israel - it's internationally agreed. They were warned repeatedly not to go there. But when the Israeli soldiers came onto the ships they were lynched; they were shot, stabbed, and beaten with poles. They were meant to be peace activists and they've got Molotov cocktails! Did you see the footage? It's not Israelis beating up peace activists - they're slamming the soldiers one at a time with metal poles!"

(worth noting that the only weapons found to justify the raid were the likes of safety equipment, cooking knives, wrenches and similar construction equipment, etc.)

If the festival blackballed Matishayu because he's jewish then that's wrong, if they did it because he's made statements similar to this recently then I can see them handing out an oath demand, not because he will actually do it, but as a statement of their support for the Palestinian cause.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I understand where you're coming from, but it's really problematic if we demand these kind of loyalty oaths from Jews of every stripe and nationality, but not the many millions of non-Jews who have similar opinions on Israel. It's never great when there are opinions you aren't allowed to have just because of your ethnicity or religion.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I admittedly know next to nothing about Matishayu beyond a quick google search, which brought up this article five years ago in response to backlash over the gaza flotilla raid:

(worth noting that the only weapons found to justify the raid were the likes of safety equipment, cooking knives, wrenches and similar construction equipment, etc.)

If the festival blackballed Matishayu because he's jewish then that's wrong, if they did it because he's made statements similar to this recently then I can see them handing out an oath demand, not because he will actually do it, but as a statement of their support for the Palestinian cause.

Unless the article was missing this, they didn't demand that pledge from every single artist performing. That's what makes it so iffy in my opinion..

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but it's really problematic if we demand these kind of loyalty oaths from Jews of every stripe and nationality, but not the many millions of non-Jews who have similar opinions on Israel. It's never great when there are opinions you aren't allowed to have just because of your ethnicity or religion.

Yeah. Like I said, if this was just a symbolic move to say "No, you can't come because you say awful things regarding Palestine/Israel" to someone, then I can understand the festival's position. If this was done to say "No, Jews can't come if they say awful things regarding Palestine/Israel" then that is an immensely problematic stance and only empowers the notion that all Jews have a stake in or are responsible for Israel's actions.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah. Like I said, if this was just a symbolic move to say "No, you can't come because you say awful things regarding Palestine/Israel" to someone, then I can understand the festival's position. If this was done to say "No, Jews can't come if they say awful things regarding Palestine/Israel" then that is an immensely problematic stance and only empowers the notion that all Jews have a stake in or are responsible for Israel's actions.

Exactly. They should ask the same of all the other artists. I'm sure some of them wouldn't be too happy to sign that poo poo for the simple reason that they'd be alienating some audiences, which would gently caress with the festival. Which is why we'll just ask the Jew.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Miftan posted:

Unless the article was missing this, they didn't demand that pledge from every single artist performing. That's what makes it so iffy in my opinion..

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What does this have to do with having a private citizen, a Jewish American, no less, sign a loyalty oath?

These are the issues that make it not acceptable to me. If BDS' goal is to make Israel an 'international pariah' why would they give a poo poo what an American thinks, and more importantly why does it sound like he was the ONLY one demanded to sign this statement? This was not a pro-Palestine or even a general anti-imperialist rally, they singled out a Jewish man because of complaints that honestly sound like they are based in 'he's a Jew who hasn't properly checked the boxes we like get rid of him' and tried to make him sign some creepy rear end pledge of support. Like I said I am pro-independent Palestine and if that happened to me I'd probably tell them to gently caress off to just because who the gently caress are they to tell me what views I have to literally sign on to if I want to play music at their non-political festival?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was responding to the specific post that I quoted, not to anything else in this thread. Loyalty oaths are bad on their own and doubly bad in this context.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

If it was anything racially based, that's wrong. On the other hand he's a guy performing at a festival which says it specifically promotes "peace, equality, human rights and social justice" and he's made lovely statements about the Israel/Palestine situation in the past (Anti peace flotilla, supporting Israel during Cast Lead) in which case it's fair enough to try and get them to cancel his attendance.

I think people will just go with whatever position they're already biased towards but there doesn't seem to be enough there to condemn them.

Edit: Also was this at the behest of BDS at all? I can't find anything which actually explains how they were actually responsible for this. I've found a few mentions of enormous pressure by BDS but nothing which explains what this pressure was and nothing to back up it occurring. The only specific claim I've found (which still isn't verified or explained) is that other artists threatened to pull out.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's also antisemitism, just another example of BDS' true agends. To economically deprive a Jew gainful employ solely because of their religious beliefs is anti-semitism. I hope that festival is cancelled and the organizers brought up in European court for their human rights violations.

People have a right to be anti-Semites, just as others have a right to call them on it and boycott them in turn.

It's a stupid over reach that materially hurts their cause. I mean BDS is pretty clearly and overtly anti-Semitic, so this is just their true colors shining through.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong Il posted:

People have a right to be anti-Semites, just as others have a right to call them on it and boycott them in turn.

It's a stupid over reach that materially hurts their cause. I mean BDS is pretty clearly and overtly anti-Semitic, so this is just their true colors shining through.

Antisemitism is not a human right.

BDS, and its supporters, are antisemites who should be blacklisted from employment at reputable institutions.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

I've dug it up. BDS boycotted him because (according to google Translate): "he has participated in "pro-Zionist" festivals, he acknowledged to be a lover of Israel and has even said that "Palestine does not exist ."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

team overhead smash posted:

I've dug it up. BDS boycotted him because (according to google Translate): "he has participated in "pro-Zionist" festivals, he acknowledged to be a lover of Israel and has even said that "Palestine does not exist ."

All percectly reasonable for someone of the jewish faith. There is no excuse for denying someone gainful employment because they are an adherent of Judaism in both religion and culture.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

It'd be one thing if they required it from every performer, but it sounds like he was singled out

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"Acknowledged to be lover of Israel" is some straight up neo nazi poo poo.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It'd be one thing if they required it from every performer, but it sounds like he was singled out

Yeah, that's bad. His treatment is pretty much unjustifiable.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-israel-deal-imminent-to-the-dismay-of-palestinian-factions/

Is this gonna be a thing?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Contrariwise, the point of a boycott like this is to treat the nation as an international pariah, which requires people agreeing to shut it out intellectually as well.

Contrari-contrariwise, the point of demanding a non-Israeli Jewish-American prove that he's "one of the good ones" by denouncing Israel is to turn Jews into pariahs.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

Contrari-contrariwise, the point of demanding a non-Israeli Jewish-American prove that he's "one of the good ones" by denouncing Israel is to turn Jews into pariahs.

That's irrelevant to what I said and your crusade to render the world into unthinking supporters of Israel and the teeming mass of antisemites that will suffer some dire fate is grotesque in the extreme.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

That's irrelevant to what I said and your crusade to render the world into unthinking supporters of Israel and the teeming mass of antisemites that will suffer some dire fate is grotesque in the extreme.

It's not 'the world' you said the point of BDS is to make Israel into an international pariah and people are saying 'right but this guy isn't Israeli at all'. No one is calling 'the world' antisemitic, some of us are saying that this one specific thing was pretty loving antisemitic and even if you do feel BDS' goal is Israel based this in no way goes to that goal.

e: oh that was an Insect Court post, nevermind

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's not 'the world' you said the point of BDS is to make Israel into an international pariah and people are saying 'right but this guy isn't Israeli at all'. No one is calling 'the world' antisemitic, some of us are saying that this one specific thing was pretty loving antisemitic and even if you do feel BDS' goal is Israel based this in no way goes to that goal.

You misunderstood my post, because I was responding initially to someone who said that musicians shouldn't be pressured to boycott. The fact that Matisyahu was treated antisemitically isn't really relevant to why musicians should be part of the boycott. Furthermore, I was responding to The Insect Court, in the post that you just quoted, and you really should not consider him part of your "us".

e: whoops missed your edit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yep my bad there, that's what I get for reading while mainly watching something, feel free to tell Insect Court to shut up with his crazy rhetoric all you want.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So I got a report from the International Middle East Media Center that some youths beat a Palestinian to near death in a settlement who was a contractor, is there any other news sources to corroborate this?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So this is getting some traction already (by which I mean it's been emailed/linked to me by like three different people, very scientific standard)

http://www.timesofisrael.com/spanish-fest-cancels-matisyahu-gig-over-refusal-to-endorse-palestinian-state/

To be honest yea that's a pretty hosed up thing to try to make some rando New York Jew sign a support pledge or whatever, but of course it's being taken as a big 'no see it's really that those Palestinians control everything!' by the right wing circles.

It looks like he's been fairly outspoken about being pro-Israel - and anti-Palestine - in news interviews and social media, and other artists were threatening to back out of the festival ("Artists scheduled to perform at the event threatened to cancel their appearances if Matisyahu were to perform") because they were offended by the political views he has repeatedly and openly expressed? It's not like they just randomly singled him out because he was Jewish - he's made his position on Palestine clear, and he's paying the price now for his political statements, not his ethnicity. It looks like the event tried to smooth it over by asking him to make a statement that would appease the other artists, but he refused, so they had to dump him to avoid losing a bunch of others. If he had made a bunch of derogatory comments about black people, would we be complaining about him being unfairly singled out?

I'll believe it when I see it. Israel and Hamas have both denied any negotiations, and the article is sourced from a Turkish minister and a Palestinian communist official, neither of whom I would really expect to be in the know here.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 17, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

If he had made a bunch of derogatory comments about black people, would we be complaining about him being unfairly singled out?

Afrikaner singer known for using rahowa rhetorics is asked to sign a statement that Black people are entitled to the same human rights as Whites, refuses to do so, and therefore is barred from participating in one event; thread complains about racism against white people and say it is unacceptable to single this guy out and ask him to do what is tantamount to swearing an oath of loyalty to a fringe organization.

Also I am endlessly amused that "Palestine has a right to exist" is the unacceptable shibboleth which is called swearing an oath of loyalty.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 17, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

It looks like he's been fairly outspoken about being pro-Israel - and anti-Palestine - in news interviews and social media, and other artists were threatening to back out of the festival ("Artists scheduled to perform at the event threatened to cancel their appearances if Matisyahu were to perform") because they were offended by the political views he has repeatedly and openly expressed? It's not like they just randomly singled him out because he was Jewish - he's made his position on Palestine clear, and he's paying the price now for his political statements, not his ethnicity. It looks like the event tried to smooth it over by asking him to make a statement that would appease the other artists, but he refused, so they had to dump him to avoid losing a bunch of others. If he had made a bunch of derogatory comments about black people, would we be complaining about him being unfairly singled out?

I'll believe it when I see it. Israel and Hamas have both denied any negotiations, and the article is sourced from a Turkish minister and a Palestinian communist official, neither of whom I would really expect to be in the know here.

Well according to BDS his sins were:

Headlining a pro-Zionist concert which, googling turns up a lovely student run free food type concert that had as much impact as a dry fart.

This horrific statement:

And when asked about the Palestine conflict he said:

quote:

Well, as far as I understand, there was never a country called Palestine. There was the British occupation, but there was never a government. Palestine was a creation that was created within Israel, as Israel had already come about. That’s my understanding, but again, I’m not going to claim that I have the answer or the truth or the right knowledge. I’m a singer. I’m a musician, trying to find his own sense of balance in his own life, trying to write songs that inspire people. I love people and I love human beings, and I think if people could focus on that, it’d be great. But I have no answers as to who’s right and who’s wrong, and how we should deal with such huge issues that go back so far. All I know is that I have devout Muslim followers that love my music. To me, that’s what it’s about with modern people now, getting past who killed who, and knowing that God created this world in mercy. And if we could emulate that quality of mercy, we would be godly people.

Which while not pro-Palestine, is also mainly focusing on saying 'yea I'm a loving musician and I don't know poo poo soooo'.

And, again, BDS is meant to be fighting Israel's oppression, do you legitimately believe someone who's most damning moment was headlining a meaningless and lovely concert with a lovely message who is not Israeli really should be high on their list?

And the 'compromise' was hosed up, the festival was not political, he shouldn't have an obligation to prove he's a Good Jew to play it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Reading a little bit further into that BDS statement, they also cited his defense of the Israeli attack on the Freedom Flotilla that killed 10 people, and BDS didn't ask for a written/taped statement, all BDS asked for was a tweet/statement "stating he was in favor of compliance with international law and human rights in Palestine." I guess the festival decided to take it further? Not sure on that point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Reading a little bit further into that BDS statement, they also cited his defense of the Israeli attack on the Freedom Flotilla that killed 10 people, and BDS didn't ask for a written/taped statement, all BDS asked for was a tweet/statement "stating he was in favor of compliance with international law and human rights in Palestine." I guess the festival decided to take it further? Not sure on that point

I think the key problem is, as a few other people have mentioned, the fact that he was (apparently) the only one asked to give this statement. Given the fact that he's not even Israeli himself, I can't help but think that there's some antisemitism involved.

Also, remember that antisemitism is actually a pretty big thing in many parts of Europe, likely including Spain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yes, super including Spain.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Which while not pro-Palestine, is also mainly focusing on saying 'yea I'm a loving musician and I don't know poo poo soooo'.

And, again, BDS is meant to be fighting Israel's oppression, do you legitimately believe someone who's most damning moment was headlining a meaningless and lovely concert with a lovely message who is not Israeli really should be high on their list?

And the 'compromise' was hosed up, the festival was not political, he shouldn't have an obligation to prove he's a Good Jew to play it.

As the name suggests, they're maintaining a policy of boycott, divestment and sanctions. That includes a cultural boycott as it did with South Africa. Also the festival apparently is one with a strong humanitarian/human rights slant.

Let's face it, BDS don't accomplish much and aren't going to be putting Soda Stream out of business any time soon. If a local branch of BDS gets word that a pro-zionist (even if they're not a hardcore pro-zionist) is playing at a local festival promoting human rights and equality that seems like it would probably support a boycott, it seems like a no-brainer to try and get a boycott going regardless of his religion or nationality.

Probably the biggest news here is BDS actually accomplishing something.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 17, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

I think the key problem is, as a few other people have mentioned, the fact that he was (apparently) the only one asked to give this statement. Given the fact that he's not even Israeli himself, I can't help but think that there's some antisemitism involved.

Also, remember that antisemitism is actually a pretty big thing in many parts of Europe, likely including Spain.

True, the article does say some of the other performers were in on not wanting Matisyahu there (unclear how much due to BDS), but I can see why at the very least those performers weren't asked.

Also the festival had a panel on the IP issue last year, so this isn't totally out of the blue.

All that said it is pretty dumb to require such a statement just for someone to perform, and is really dumb to only require it of only one person.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

True, the article does say some of the other performers were in on not wanting Matisyahu there (unclear how much due to BDS), but I can see why at the very least those performers weren't asked.

All that said it is pretty dumb to require such a statement just for someone to perform, and is really dumb to only require it of only one person.

Well it's due to him have made pro-zionist statements and actions in the past. If there were any other performers there who have done the same and he was the only one unfairly picked out then you've got a point. Otherwise why would other performers be asked to do the same?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Well it's due to him have made pro-zionist statements and actions in the past. If there were any other performers there who have done the same and he was the only one unfairly picked out then you've got a point. Otherwise why would other performers be asked to do the same?

Bad optics? Even if you are only targeting one person having them all do it at least makes it look less like you are loving with one person, and given the others seem to already support Palestine* it shouldn't be too hard to get them to sign something. Puts more pressure on Matisyahu to actually do something too, rather than just alienating him.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 17, 2015

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Bad optics? Even if you are only targeting one person having them all do it at least makes it look less like you are loving with one person, and given the others seem to already support Israel it shouldn't be too hard to get them to sign something. Puts more pressure on Matisyahu to actually do something too, rather than just alienating him.

Oh, I thought you were criticising from a moral rather than tactical perspective.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have a hard time thinking he was the only artist there who'd ever made statements as offensive as "there wasn't a Palestine before Israel, right?" and "Israel actually gives a ton of aid to Gaza and doesn't deserve its bum rap (five years ago)." I can believe he was the most Jewy looking artist there, though. If being pro-Palestine was somehow important to the concert or the other artists, they should at least have asked everyone to make a "human rights are cool, let Palestine exist" tweet.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Jewish Israeli performers not being asked to also make such a statement is a sure sign that their reasoning wasn't simply antisemitism, rather it sounds to me like his past statements against Palestine's right to exist really was their focus.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Kajeesus posted:

I have a hard time thinking he was the only artist there who'd ever made statements as offensive as "there wasn't a Palestine before Israel, right?" and "Israel actually gives a ton of aid to Gaza and doesn't deserve its bum rap (five years ago)." I can believe he was the most Jewy looking artist there, though. If being pro-Palestine was somehow important to the concert or the other artists, they should at least have asked everyone to make a "human rights are cool, let Palestine exist" tweet.

I don't think you can really make everyone tweet something like that or even that it would be necessary. Making this kind of demand to one performer is doable because one performer can be replaced, to two hundred and fifty performers at the last minute before the performance starts has the chance to cause chaos and sink the festival and I think expecting them to do that is unrealistic.

Also I don't think the demand was that they so much had to be pro-Palestinian (I doubt the majority of performers who likely don't have strong feelings either way on the conflict or much knowledge of it) but rather that Matisyahu had shown himself to be anti-Palestinian in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Were there other Jewish artists? Were they made to sign this pledge?

Supporting Israel is supporting apartheid and colonialism, any private person and organization has the right to exclude people who hold such morally bankrupt positions.

• Locked thread