Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even with his "giant" booking Mark Henry is painfully slow these days. His last notable TV feud was with Big Show, and somehow Show didn't gas first. Combine that with the constant injuries and it's just pitiful watching him in 2015. He really should've hung up the boots by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was also his awesome fake retirement versus Cena.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
And that was two years ago. If there was ever a time to put the strap on him, that was it, too, but he was feuding with Cena and nobody gets over on Cena.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I was mostly using new, young talent to broadly refer to the guys that haven't been on WWE television for 2 decades.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Benne posted:

Even with his "giant" booking Mark Henry is painfully slow these days. His last notable TV feud was with Big Show, and somehow Show didn't gas first. Combine that with the constant injuries and it's just pitiful watching him in 2015. He really should've hung up the boots by now.

:agreed: Watching him during the Elimination Chamber debacle was just sad. 20 years in the business and he handled it the worst by far. He kept breaking up pins in an elimination match and he seemingly had no clue how to improvise and just kinda stood there for the most part while the others tried to salvage the match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I actually liked the Show/Henry tag team from a year or two back, short-lived as it was.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

:agreed: Watching him during the Elimination Chamber debacle was just sad. 20 years in the business and he handled it the worst by far. He kept breaking up pins in an elimination match and he seemingly had no clue how to improvise and just kinda stood there for the most part while the others tried to salvage the match.

I tried to give him some slack in that match since his pod busted open and the ref just went :shrug: so he entered the match early. Still, he was an anchor on the match and kept barging in on other guys' planned spots -- at one point Dolph literally yelled "don't move, Mark" before he did a corner splash on Barrett. That match was a disaster.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Benne posted:

I tried to give him some slack in that match since his pod busted open and the ref just went :shrug: so he entered the match early. Still, he was an anchor on the match and kept barging in on other guys' planned spots -- at one point Dolph literally yelled "don't move, Mark" before he did a corner splash on Barrett. That match was a disaster.

I'll be shocked if there's a match in a major promotion that is considered worst than that

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

I'll be shocked if there's a match in a major promotion that is considered worst than that

Villanos/Psycho Circus from TripleMania this year got MINUS FIVE STARS from Dave. Trust me, it deserved that rating.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Testekill posted:

As bad as the EC match ended up being in execution, it was planned well. It's just that once Henry's pod popped open, the planning got thrown out the window, and the match sucked until it was down to 3 guys. Then it actually turned the corner and was a decent match again. He was inserted into the match too early, and it really hurt that Sheamus was going to lock himself in the pod until he was ready to come out.

Compare this to the Villanos/Psycho Circus match at AAA Triplemania XXIII which was a) not planned well, b) should not have been booked, c) should not have even gone on for medical reasons, and d) was executed absolutely terrible.

As bad as the EC match was, and if you want to say that Henry's breaking down, it didn't feature a 63 year old stroke victim trying to wrestle.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
thats only 15 years older than fellow stroke victim yoshihiro takayama

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spermgod posted:

thats only 15 years older than fellow stroke victim yoshihiro takayama

He's a spring chicken compared to the Villanos

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Testekill posted:

IF you seriously think a couple of minutes of confused walking around in an otherwise fine match is comparable to, say, Jeff Hardy showing up to the main event stoned out of his gourd, wandering around for a bit and then getting immediately rolled up by Sting then I don't know what to tell you.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

Watch more (bad) wrestling.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rodney the Piper posted:

Watch more (bad) wrestling.

Watch NECW on YouTube if you really hate yourself

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lethal Lockdown 2010 is worse than Jeff Hardy being too stoned to wrestle and the villanos being old and immobile. It is a powerfully stupid match.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

Lethal Lockdown 2010 is worse than Jeff Hardy being too stoned to wrestle and the villanos being old and immobile. It is a powerfully stupid match.

Not even the worst finish involving Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and TNA in 2010.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

oatgan posted:

From a pure wrestling standpoint maybe, but honestly something about knowing Jeff Jarty is too hosed up to actively compete and, instead of helping the man, proceeding as normal before finally deciding maybe Sting should just end it as quickly as possible is way more disgusting to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TNA went like 5 years before doing matches as good as that EC.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Jeff Jarty

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Spermgod posted:

Jeff Jarty

Jefe Harby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Testekill posted:

Watch Victory Road 2009

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I know stuff from this board isn't supposed to be brought up in this thread, but sometimes people say something like "That weak Chamber match is probably the worst match ever in the history of major national wrestling" and it's hard to ignore that.

It might be the worst Elimination Chamber ever, though; I never saw December to Dismember so I have no frame of reference for that one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

I know stuff from this board isn't supposed to be brought up in this thread, but sometimes people say something like "That weak Chamber match is probably the worst match ever in the history of major national wrestling" and it's hard to ignore that.

It might be the worst Elimination Chamber ever, though; I never saw December to Dismember so I have no frame of reference for that one.

The worst regular EC ever. December to Dismember's was really bad, but had the right finish (Show losing) and was just one (big) clusterfuck on a PPV full of them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's stupid too, because all the ref had to do was lock Mark Henry in the only other open pod.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

It's stupid too, because all the ref had to do was lock Mark Henry in the only other open pod.

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but I think Truth was laid out in the pod at the time.

IIRC

Truths pod opened first, Barrett immediately attacked him for a minute or two and left him laying there, the Wade worked over Ziggler and sent him crashing into Henry's pod with about 30 seconds before Ryback entered.

You're hosed no matter what happened, Henry struggling with the ref is going to distract from Ryback babyface heat entrance, or they all watch, which does about the same. Plus Truth is still laid out in it

I blame Big E for getting shoved into that same pod twice in the Tag EC match for ruining the IC EC. :colbert:

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Spermgod posted:

Jeff Jarty

Jeff Harvey

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Broke a million bones, never drew a dime

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but I think Truth was laid out in the pod at the time.

IIRC

Truths pod opened first, Barrett immediately attacked him for a minute or two and left him laying there, the Wade worked over Ziggler and sent him crashing into Henry's pod with about 30 seconds before Ryback entered.

You're hosed no matter what happened, Henry struggling with the ref is going to distract from Ryback babyface heat entrance, or they all watch, which does about the same. Plus Truth is still laid out in it

I blame Big E for getting shoved into that same pod twice in the Tag EC match for ruining the IC EC. :colbert:

Tell me you wouldn't mark out for Sexual Chocolate angrily chucking Truth out of the new pod he's forced to relocate to.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
If theres one thing I appreciate, it's that Mark Henry has become WWE's ubermensch, evolved beyond the concepts of good and evil because, one assumes, his morality is so totally alien to our own.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DynamiteKidd posted:

If theres one thing I appreciate, it's that Mark Henry has become WWE's ubermensch, evolved beyond the concepts of good and evil because, one assumes, his morality is so totally alien to our own.

I wanna see Henry do the Yog Sothoth gimmick.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

TheJoker138 posted:

I wanna see Henry do the Yog Sothoth gimmick.

blah blah thousand gibbering mouths eating all the time

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DynamiteKidd posted:

blah blah thousand gibbering mouths eating all the time

Instead maybe he could do the Azathoth gimmick...but then who would be his idiot fiddlers? I vote for those jobbers Ambrose and Ziggler.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://flavorwire.com/533288/how-professional-wrestling-raised-a-legion-of-nerdy-feminist-fans

This article is hilariously terrible but this is my favorite line

quote:

In the next episode, Gethard sat with another wrestling fan who’s regularly costumed as a character named Vacation Jason — and beside his guest, there was wrestler Eddie Kingston, who wrestles as a teenage punk character inspired by both AFI and Tupac.

:psyduck:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That is an extremely hilarious description of eddie kingston

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Y'know, their optimism is kinda endearing in an Of Mice and Men sorta way.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
We Just Need Spike Again

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NomDePlume makes my optimism and/or delusion depending on perspective look like loving Eeyore, holy Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Trust the people who will want to spin it the best way possible, ignore logic.