Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Laserface posted:

Rebooted the nearest Wifi AP, closed ticket, now watching web traffic to see what XXXX's iPhone is browsing.

This is why I use vpn everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

spankmeister posted:

This is why I use vpn everywhere

Well you are the master

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Demonachizer posted:

When I stopped working a few months ago, I disabled most of my accounts myself on my last day. It was pretty fun.

Yeah, I spent my last two weeks finishing up a major project (I timed my departure with the project's end date), documenting everything I could think of, then the last day was my making sure that al my accounts were disabled before I left. At the end of the day I said goodbye and my boss disabled my AD account, and that was that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Demonachizer posted:

When I stopped working a few months ago, I disabled most of my accounts myself on my last day. It was pretty fun.

I think this will be me today. Apparently my boss is out today. I'm going to give my notice to the HR lady when she gets in.

I may have to disable my own access given that literally nobody else would know how to do it, nor have access to do so.

THIS is why you don't have a one-person IT labor force, people.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, I spent my last two weeks finishing up a major project (I timed my departure with the project's end date), documenting everything I could think of, then the last day was my making sure that al my accounts were disabled before I left. At the end of the day I said goodbye and my boss disabled my AD account, and that was that.

Have you still not eaten whatever eggs you're supposed to have?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Every westbound RVL train that originates in Newark departs from track 5. You will get very familiar with it. [/fishmech]

I'd be up for grabbing a drink, but doing it in NYC might be a better bet wrt an NYC nerd meet.

Well yeah, I was speaking more to the fact that I don't know my departure o'clock part of the equation yet. But I would be down for NYC SH/SC goondrink at some point.

In my case giving notice, keep in mind there is no other IT labor at my company, just my boss and I. The only other option is the $x00/hr consultant and hahaha hahaha no.

It's more because my boss is a good guy and such. He has known my unhappiness since they aborted hiring a replacement for the guy who fell asleep all the goddamn time. I hope they let me stick around for that last gasp at getting their ducks in a row.

Chances are they won't, because I could do the theoretical rm rf and they probably have no other reaction other than "if he goes to the competition or has been feeding them info we are hosed, term his accounts and run an audit on everything he has done on the file server and people's mailboxes in case we need to enforce our non-compete."

The produce brokerage industry is a bit cutthroat so I honestly don't blame them if they do this, it would just be unfortunate for them. Oh well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Well yeah, I was speaking more to the fact that I don't know my departure o'clock part of the equation yet. But I would be down for NYC SH/SC goondrink at some point.

In my case giving notice, keep in mind there is no other IT labor at my company, just my boss and I. The only other option is the $x00/hr consultant and hahaha hahaha no.

It's more because my boss is a good guy and such. He has known my unhappiness since they aborted hiring a replacement for the guy who fell asleep all the goddamn time. I hope they let me stick around for that last gasp at getting their ducks in a row.

Chances are they won't, because I could do the theoretical rm rf and they probably have no other reaction other than "if he goes to the competition or has been feeding them info we are hosed, term his accounts and run an audit on everything he has done on the file server and people's mailboxes in case we need to enforce our non-compete."

The produce brokerage industry is a bit cutthroat so I honestly don't blame them if they do this, it would just be unfortunate for them. Oh well.

Poor Your Boss, basically. Congrats on the job!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Poor Your Boss, basically. Congrats on the job!

More or less. How were the eggs?

I just gave my notice to the HR lady. She was all "I wish you would have waited for %bossname% tomorrow but I understand" and it was no surprise to her. She reiterated that it wasn't her call to abort the replacement hiring, which she understood, and I went in with candor as to the fact that the technical growth here no longer requires a sysadmin, just a very smart helpdesk guy looking to move up. Our VMware needs are met by our outsourced cloud providers, our Windows Server needs are minimal since we're not spinning many up these days nor doing any major server-level stuff, and everything else can be done by a smart person.

God help them for the upcoming move downstairs, but one of my last projects was to take an inventory of all the stuff that was compuatar machien related on the floor, in the server room, closet, etc. At least they know what's up. So much for my chance to swipe a fuckton of genuine HP color laser toners and sell 'em, given that we've got a bunch of remanufactured ones from our printer vendor.

Anyway, the weird part, she doesn't know what to do given that the boss is out - she asked if I knew where he was, and I replied that he was probably at an amusement park with his kids given that the trip was postponed twice. I offered to seclude myself someplace without a phone or computer while she reached out to her boss as to what to do, she said there wasn't any need - she knew me to be honest and trustworthy, which is a nice thing to hear in light of the last few pages of PILON vs. trust debate.

I told her that if the option existed to hire someone quickly, I would be more than happy to do nothing but train them, but it looks like I could either be done today or tomorrow. We shall see.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MJP posted:

I think this will be me today. Apparently my boss is out today. I'm going to give my notice to the HR lady when she gets in.

I may have to disable my own access given that literally nobody else would know how to do it, nor have access to do so.

THIS is why you don't have a one-person IT labor force, people.

Be sure to remove your Boss' access before you delete the only Admin account left.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
10284+ emails came in. Looks like our help desk auto-response bot and apples auto-response bot had a fun weekend.

Our exchange admin isn't in yet, and no one else knows how to stop it, but the people working the help desk this morning are managing to delete the emails slightly faster than they're coming in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hungry Computer posted:

10284+ emails came in. Looks like our help desk auto-response bot and apples auto-response bot had a fun weekend.

Our exchange admin isn't in yet, and no one else knows how to stop it, but the people working the help desk this morning are managing to delete the emails slightly faster than they're coming in.

I often wondered about that type of situation, but never dared to do it as a test.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hungry Computer posted:

Area Grandma Enjoys Flourishing Correspondence With Mailer-Daemon

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spog posted:

I often wondered about that type of situation, but never dared to do it as a test.

We had something similar happen when I was a temp.

I have no loving idea how it happened, nor do I know anything about mail stuff so I don't really understand what was going on behind it because our setup here was loving weird and backwards as hell at the time.

At the time, all of the temps were using a shared temp e-mail account that was behind a department ran proxy. What I figure happened was that one of the idiot temps sent out an e-mail with a 250MB attachment to about 50 peoiple which the proxy happily allowed through. Then it hit the company's exchange server which said "hell no" and bounced that e-mail back. However, the proxy didn't allow that bounce back to come back through because it was too big, and bounced it back to exchange. Each one of these bounces sent a report back to the temp e-mail address with a copy of that god drat attachment. Nobody knew this was happening except the temp though, and he didn't bother telling anyone.

When I got to work the next day, I had thousands of identical e-mails with this 250MB attachment on it, which locked up the whole computer until the hard drive filled up from a hilarious large PST file. And of course, none of the mail guys gave a poo poo because temps aren't real people, so it was up to me, a little temp who didn't know what POP3 was, to fix it on his own.

e: I mentioned this before but my department is IT's nightmare. Boss man wanted to save money in the budget by not having us get support from IT, so he just gave everybody local admin. 24 people sharing 12 computers, 50GB mail limit, each computer has 150GB of HDD space...you can do the math.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 17, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So far, I'm being kept on for the two weeks. At least that's the word today after the HR lady called my boss, who is staying home with his sick kid today and didn't mention it to anyone.

She asked me to update the job description for a sysadmin since it was two years old at this point, and she opened a ticket for something in the ADP backend that she couldn't reproduce.

Nobody has been told yet and I intend to keep it that way until I talk to the boss tomorrow. I'm not ruling out the possibility that they just have me in for today or something like that. I'll take the time to pack up some of my decorations and other things that I don't need.

Woulda been nice to take a miniature last-minute vacation but they pro-rate PTO at the new place, so I'll have the chance to do so at some point.

Edit: I plan to be the consummate professional as always but I am sure as hell going to ignore direct calls from the sales guy when he knows that a ticket comes in before the call. :V

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well MJP I hope you get at least a week or so of free time between jobs. That was my biggest regret from switching jobs last time, they needed someone right away and I didnt get the chance to take a relaxing staycation.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

there's loop prevention for poo poo like this.

y'all don't have your mailer configured correct

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At my last job, I worked through Sunday, and started my next job Monday. It sucked, but I wasn't going to stick my sole remaining colleague in the on-call rotation with a 19 day week.

I just hope that they shut down on call after that until they got more manpower.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well MJP I hope you get at least a week or so of free time between jobs. That was my biggest regret from switching jobs last time, they needed someone right away and I didnt get the chance to take a relaxing staycation.

I probably should have adjusted the start date to reflect the possibility of PTO but that'd be giving three weeks notice. I probably could have given the new job a story about the manager being out all of a week, but I think I'd rather not get too relaxed between jobs. I've got a groove of "I want to do more sysadmin" going and I'd rather ride it while I can before the inevitable end of the honeymoon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Ticket came in: "Please term all accesses for [user name] effective 8/14/15.

Yes, this came in this morning.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Places with terrible termination procedures drive me absolutely insane.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

spankmeister posted:

there's loop prevention for poo poo like this.

y'all don't have your mailer configured correct

We had just upgraded our ticketing system and it wiped all the settings like that and same thing happened to national same day as well. Our service desks had a merry three hour conversation while our one guy who configures the service desk tried to turn it off. Nothing got done during those three hours as we were just merging and closing all the tickets created.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Some phones came in last Thursday for new reporters. I was assured there was no rush in setting them up, which was good since I was up to my rear end in work already.

An email comes in at noon from the GM telling me that the phones have to be activated by the end of the day or we have to pay full price for them.

The GM is literally the only person who can activate them because he pulled everyone's name off the account except for his when he started, and he's also out of town for budget review at corporate and not answering his phone.

So, you know, look at these phones I'm not touching today because gently caress everyone.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ilkhan posted:

Ticket came in: "Please term all accesses for [user name] effective 8/14/15.

Yes, this came in this morning.

Just remove their access and set all the system clocks back a few days :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

larchesdanrew posted:

Some phones came in last Thursday for new reporters. I was assured there was no rush in setting them up, which was good since I was up to my rear end in work already.

An email comes in at noon from the GM telling me that the phones have to be activated by the end of the day or we have to pay full price for them.

The GM is literally the only person who can activate them because he pulled everyone's name off the account except for his when he started, and he's also out of town for budget review at corporate and not answering his phone.

So, you know, look at these phones I'm not touching today because gently caress everyone.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, one of the phones is going to the Luddite reporter who fled the building because he thought his keyboard was possessed by demons. I have (in writing!) an explicit agreement between myself and the news director that I will, in no way, be responsible for showing him how to use this thing at any point in the future.

Holy poo poo this is the fifth time in the last week I'm hit quote instead of edit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
larchesdanrew is the new blackswordca

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Renegret posted:

larchesdanrew is the new blackswordca

I wish. At least he gets to do real IT stuff.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

Summary: I cant get WiFi in the toilet.

Description: For the last week the WiFi has not been accessible when in the mens toilets. It is available at my desk but I need it in the toilet.
I would have been tempted to run a long Cat5 under the door and set up some old P4 laptop as the official Bathroom Internet Station.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Places with terrible termination procedures drive me absolutely insane.

We frequently get notices a month late. We're trying to get SOX compliant, but at this point we just have to be ready to throw HR under the bus. Sometimes they send them a week ahead, but mostly they send them at least a week late.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

I wish. At least he gets to do real IT stuff.

I guess that would depend on your definition of 'real it stuff'

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
We just had someone notice - while doing something unrelated - that someone who's been gone for at least six months is still active in the system. We never got a term ticket, so shrug.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ilkhan posted:

Companies are made up of people. Just like there are toxic employers, there are toxic employees. It's low effort and mitigates a (depending on the position and other policies) potentially company destroying issue. Yes, walk the dude to the door, ship their personal effects in a box. And get on with your day.

That's just the point though - like in my current job, when anyone gets let go in IT their account gets disabled, email forwarded to whomever is taking over, and our main administrator password is changed. If the company fails to do any one of those things when an employee is terminated or resigns, especially if that employee is IT, I have zero fucks to give if/when their security is breached due to their own incompetence. Sure people are fallible and make mistakes, but there's only so many times that poo poo can happen before you stop caring.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have confirmed through people still there that a company I left in 2013 has not changed any passwords or door codes since then, and hadn't since well before I started, having replaced someone who got tossed for sleeping on the job. I'm amazed nothing horrific has happened to them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've mentioned my last photography job a few times; it's the job where the "server room" had a hole in the floor that the owner would piss in.

Anyway, they were like that in terms of security. The door codes changed but rarely, often weeks or months after they let someone go. Many of these people were disgruntled as gently caress. It was a terrible place to work.

Anyway, a bunch of equipment went missing! Tens of thousands of dollars worth of cameras and props and stuff, gone. It was probably taken, a few items at a time, over the course of weeks.

Despite some very strong suspicions no one could prove a thing, because there was no security at all. One universal door code. Fire stairs right next to the door--no security cameras. Stairs came out into the rear of the equipment storage area--no security on the door there at all, and the cameras had been broken for months. If they ever worked at all. It was the slow season, so half the gear went unused.

Inventory management was non-existent, so we couldn't even tell exactly what was gone. We just knew there were something like a dozen $2000 cameras gone and several lenses for each. Plus misc props and canvas backdrops that were just piled in a corner.

It was a total inside job. Whoever it was could go in at any time 24/7, steal whatever he wanted, and leave. With no one the wiser.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dennyk posted:

There's pretty much zero chance they'll be able to hire anyone within two weeks. Hiring takes a hell of a lot longer than that (outside of entry level/unskilled retail/service jobs, maybe). The whole two week notice thing isn't to find and train a replacement, it's to give you time for documentation and knowledge transfer to your current coworkers (or boss) in between wrapping up any projects you have near completion. A smart company will have adequate staffing to cover things reasonably well for a few months while they hire a replacement; a poor one will just dump your workload on some other random already-overworked schmuck and pat themselves on the back for reducing labor costs.

Is this what people really do when they are on 2 weeks terminal? I mean I guess if it was a job I had loved at some point, but my last notice basically consisted of me skating so hard my ankles hurt. Zero fucks were given, and questions like "Won't you miss this place?" were met with insane giggles while my pupils morphed into dollar signs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Rhymenoserous posted:

Is this what people really do when they are on 2 weeks terminal? I mean I guess if it was a job I had loved at some point, but my last notice basically consisted of me skating so hard my ankles hurt. Zero fucks were given, and questions like "Won't you miss this place?" were met with insane giggles while my pupils morphed into dollar signs.

Just depends on how much you care about burning and/or gently charring your bridges. I've spent all of my two weeks documenting things, more as a "welcome to hell, motherfucker" for whoever my replacement was than anything else, but I didn't actively hate those jobs or most of the people in them. Maybe it would be different if I bailed out of spite than just "this other place is paying me more", but...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

sfwarlock posted:

We just had someone notice - while doing something unrelated - that someone who's been gone for at least six months is still active in the system. We never got a term ticket, so shrug.

I wish we got term tickets. "Oh, X left six months ago didn't they? Guess they shouldn't have ssh access. Or rights on the company Github repos. Yeah, should probably get to that."

Javid posted:

I have confirmed through people still there that a company I left in 2013 has not changed any passwords or door codes since then, and hadn't since well before I started, having replaced someone who got tossed for sleeping on the job. I'm amazed nothing horrific has happened to them.

"security through tedium"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I've mentioned my last photography job a few times; it's the job where the "server room" had a hole in the floor that the owner would piss in.

:wtc:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I found that when I have had my notice in that people who were complete pricks suddenly became decent, reasonable, and shockingly likable. Shame people let themselves become so vile over the pettiest amounts of power.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

sfwarlock posted:

When I got handed the AIX and Oracle keys I took a look at the permissions in the oracle database. There are over 1500 active accounts - no one has bothered to disable/remove them ever. I'm just hoping the auditors never ask about it before we get rid of it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

MJP posted:

Volmarias posted:

Every westbound RVL train that originates in Newark departs from track 5. You will get very familiar with it. [/fishmech]

I'd be up for grabbing a drink, but doing it in NYC might be a better bet wrt an NYC nerd meet.

I'd be down for a NY/NJ SH/SC meetup. Although I don't drink I'd be willing to buy you guys a round. With all this telecommuting I could use some practice socializing. I just found out they are taking away my cubicle since I don't use it enough. So I'm going to be 100% work from home.

• Locked thread