Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

starfish is going to survive and become much more heroic and sympathetic in future arcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
starfish is going to die, horribly

and the world will become a tiny bit less terrible for it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

starfish is going to survive and become much more heroic and sympathetic in future arcs

Starfish will be inspired when Duane and Sette die in his arms and take over as the main protagonist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gabriel Pope posted:

Starfish will be inspired when Duane and Sette die in his arms and take over as the main protagonist.

The rest of Unsounded is a Buddy Cops story starring Starfish and Murkoph.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Tollymain posted:

starfish is going to die, horribly

and the world will become a tiny bit less terrible for it

Now that you put it that way, there's no way he is going to die.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let me dream

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Starfish was never gonna die off-screen or just by happenstance. He's the arc villain.

We're probably gearing up for the climactic confrontation right now.

^

Unsounded my be a fairly bleak world, but it doesn't stray too far from its cliches. The evil silver mound is Duane's boss battle, Starfish is Sette's. Both will be dead by the end of this chapter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have the feeling that the silver isn't a thing you can kill, or destroy, or even harm really

like undying nuclear waste, the best thing you can do is bury it in concrete and hope it isn't unearthed any time in the next few millenia

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

You know, Cutter could be Delicieu himself. He's a psychopath with an obsession with pain and spellcraft other wrights don't recognise. And it'd be the perfect position from which to micromanage the scheme without drawing too much attention.

THIS GUY loving CALLED IT

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i kind of figured that was the case

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Normally I'd post something more substantial than an image response but this comic is literally the first thing I thought of after reading today's page.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

same

Oxxidation posted:

THIS GUY loving CALLED IT

Congrats to him, though since he posted it I figured everybody assumed he was right.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tollymain posted:

i kind of figured that was the case

Yeah I mean, I definitely didn't guess it but when Oxxidation said it it was one of those things that instantly became retroactively obvious.

Edit: I find myself wondering what the hell an Aesthete is. I'm guessing he's a sapient zombie like Duane?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 17, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: I find myself wondering what the hell an Aesthete is. I'm guessing he's a sapient zombie like Duane?

It just means someone with an appreciation for things that look good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This one word isn't an invention from the author; it's a real word with a real word meaning.
http://www.tfd.com/aesthete

Reminds me of when I saw people use the word ascetics when it was quite clear that they really meant aesthetics.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

tentacles posted:

Just waiting for the reveal that Delicieu is Quigley's dead wife now (because Ashley)

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've been wondering if it's Cutter.

I think I'm allowed to feel a little proud of myself for guessing this back in April.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I forget, do we know what the significance of "L12" might be?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yeah I mean, I definitely didn't guess it but when Oxxidation said it it was one of those things that instantly became retroactively obvious.

In this context, I read it as meaning that they both use magic to mask their true appearance.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wonderslug posted:

Not really. We've seen plod handlers numbering their plods, though, so it might indicate that Delicieu got started as a run of the mill work zombie at one point. Experiment gone wrong?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wonderslug posted:

The Lizardic 12 secret society

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I love the depth and complexity of this comic but lately I always have a lot of trouble visually parsing what the gently caress is going on. I feel really bad about this because I'm pretty sure the problem is with me and not the art.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One of the ironic things between Cresce and Alderode is that through a host of technicalities the lizard-people have the ability to be closer to a proper citizen in Alderode than they do in Cresce. Unless Cutter is some sort of meat-puppet for someone else I imagine he's some result of Crescian hospitality.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not really. We've seen plod handlers numbering their plods, though, so it might indicate that Delicieu got started as a run of the mill work zombie at one point. Experiment gone wrong?
Ashley sometimes posts on /co/ after the day's page has been posted. She confirmed that Delicieu is not a plod, just worn and ugly.

Given how two-toes tend to get treated in Unsounded, my guess is at one point he was involved in a line of work where maybe "Human" rights were temporarily forfeit, and branded that his employers could keep track of him. Alternatively, there are some real world civilizations that used to use tattoos to mark criminals, so it's possible that's his inmate number from a previous stint in a cell.

It's also possible it's just a curious character detail and we don't need to know its significance.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I've bet from the beginning that no way were both starfish AND stockyard going to die in these events, and stockyard's dead, so starfish is gonna live, sorry folks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Didn't the author hint a few months ago that Starfish was one of the ones kicking the bucket?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ashley confirmed some named characters would die this chapter. She did not give any names. I also doubt she would singled out Starfish specifically to spoil.

Since then Toby and Stockyard have died, satisfying the bare minimum requirement for named characters on the chopping block. Whether anybody else important dies is anyone's guess.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Well, I gotta hand it to those who predicted it - I truly didn't see that coming. Never occurred to me that Delicieu would either be acting that well, or possibly puppeting a corpse like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I love the depth and complexity of this comic but lately I always have a lot of trouble visually parsing what the gently caress is going on. I feel really bad about this because I'm pretty sure the problem is with me and not the art.

There's a lot of silver, ghosts, and gooey bits. While to Ms. Cope's credit it all looks detailed and well-rendered, there's not always a clear line of action or sufficiently strong sense of scene composition (to tell the eye and the subconscious what is or is not important visual information) directing the eye when all of those visual elements are in play at the same time.

So it's a reasonable problem to have.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VictorGrunn posted:

Well, I gotta hand it to those who predicted it - I truly didn't see that coming. Never occurred to me that Delicieu would either be acting that well, or possibly puppeting a corpse like that.

Cutter is Delicieu in the flesh, not just a lizard body being remote-controlled by him. Once he removes the glamour, his tongue is clearly black.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think I'm allowed to feel a little proud of myself for guessing this back in April.

But what if Delicieu is Cutter is Quigley's dead wife? Because Ashley

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Oxxidation posted:

Cutter is Delicieu in the flesh, not just a lizard body being remote-controlled by him. Once he removes the glamour, his tongue is clearly black.

I just figured corpse due to what looks like flesh literally melting off of him and chopped up head things, but I already whiffed once on this guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VictorGrunn posted:

I just figured corpse due to what looks like flesh literally melting off of him and chopped up head things, but I already whiffed once on this guy.

That's probably burnflesh all over his snout, and the liquid dripping off him is drool, most likely because his lips are shredded.

The guy's Evil Wizard Thesis was "pain," so I bet he used himself as a test subject several or several dozen times. And that's on top of whatever nasty business earned him that tattoo.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Does raise questions about the significance of his near-fascination with Jivi. Might know what Jivi's deal with his mom is, stealing his knife is kind of petty for a black tongue.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Wonderslug posted:

Its because he's a level 12 enemy , duh.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

Its because he's a level 12 enemy , duh.

Yeah, I figured that was a deliberate pun, but whatever, like her stupid pet vampire thing Cope has done well enough that she's earned room to put in some dumb stuff for the sake of pure indulgence.

Also, Duane needs to get off his rear end. I think this is the first time in the comic that anyone's managed to out monologue him. Fuckin' slacker.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's a spiderpaw, again? Also, poor Anna, she's having a bad day. :(

Also also, there's a smoke eel crying tears of pure light behind Delicieu.

Also also also, the weird giant eel-boss thing has faces for eyes.

This whole page is a weird combo of interesting and gross.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

What's a spiderpaw, again?

Two-Toe slur for humans. They're probably just jealous of our numerous spindly fingers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Also also also, the weird giant eel-boss thing has faces for eyes.
Specifically, the faces of the prisoners injected with silver.

If I'm reading Cutter's monologue right, not even death is now a release for them. The silver is keeping their conscious souls intact instead of letting them scatter and disperse into the Khert.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bad Seafood posted:

Specifically, the faces of the prisoners injected with silver.

If I'm reading Cutter's monologue right, not even death is now a release for them. The silver is keeping their conscious souls intact instead of letting them scatter and disperse into the Khert.

Well, Delicieu's assertion is that dispersal into the Khert wasn't a release for them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, Delicieu's assertion is that dispersal into the Khert wasn't a release for them either.

Yeah, Delicieu's saying that the way the khert catalogs memories means that every pain suffered in the history of time is still knocking around somewhere out there, unable to be expressed. Apparently he thinks people should be made aware of this, so he's using the pain-infused silver to resonate and call out to all that disembodied agony, pulling it into the corporeal world.