Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Wylie posted:

Couple of questions:

I have a 2013 Moto X, and I plan to get the new one when it comes out next month. My wife has a Note 3, but I have no idea if she wants to upgrade or not. Our contract is up on 10/10, and we're on the More Everything 10g plan.

1. If I add phone protection to my line, will it cover my new Moto X even though I will not be buying it through Verizon?
2. If I switch to the new Verizon Plan 12g version, will the line access fee drop down to $20 once I'm off contract? I'm hearing it will, but you'll excuse my lack of faith, I'm sure.

Usually, unless a phone is bought from verizon you can only add insurance during an open enrollment period. But since the Moto X is so cheap off contract unless you have a history of dropping phones I'd just gamble.

And supposedly, yes it should drop to $20. You can always call when it's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm one of those guys that just buys a full priced phone every two-three years to keep my unlimited data. Nothing's changing that will take that right?

Some smug dude at work was claiming my unlimited days are over. Reading over everything I believe I am fine. Am I correct?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

therealjon_ posted:

I'm one of those guys that just buys a full priced phone every two-three years to keep my unlimited data. Nothing's changing that will take that right?

Some smug dude at work was claiming my unlimited days are over. Reading over everything I believe I am fine. Am I correct?

Everything I've seen says that basically as long as you don't go and change your plan, yeah you're fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

therealjon_ posted:

Can they change your plan, yes, but they arn't.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I figured, thanks dudes!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Interesting - they quietly stopped throttling unlimited users on 3G two months ago.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

therealjon_ posted:

I'm in the same boat but I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay on it.

Currently I'm still on a (very outdated) NATIONWIDE TALK 450 plan.
Account Access $39.99
Data $29.99 (unlimited)
Messages $10.00 (I buy the 1000/mo text upgrade)
Estimated Total Monthly Cost $79.98 (always $92.xx after taxes/fees)

Thing is, I text a lot, almost never actually use voice on my phone (but of course I need it since it is my only phone), and constantly getting people to switch over to whatsapp or whatever so I don't blow through my texts is getting to be a pain. Data-wise, I always only use between 1-2 gigs a month, but the Verizon plans all seemed like I'd end up having to pay more for unlimited talk/text and limited data. I'd just buy my phones full price and hold on to them for >2 years, and it always seemed like this was the cheapest option.

Now that they've totally changed their plans around this month, they're looking like the better option. When the new MotoX comes out next month I'm interested in buying it. My Droid MAXX that I bought a few years ago is getting long in the tooth. Switching to the 3GB option (probably safest since I do go over 1gb but rarely over 2) says it'll save me ~$15/mo on my plan. Very tempting, but how does the actual phone purchasing come in to play here?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

It doesn't. If you change plans, you'll buy it straight from Motorola for $399. You can do a payment plan through Moto. Your cost through Verizon won't change.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Currently I'm still on a (very outdated) NATIONWIDE TALK 450 plan.
Account Access $39.99
Data $29.99 (unlimited)
Messages $10.00 (I buy the 1000/mo text upgrade)
Estimated Total Monthly Cost $79.98 (always $92.xx after taxes/fees)

That's almost exactly what I have except I have a $5 100 text plan and I rarely rarely text people. All but one of my friends is on an Android phone and we just use hangouts instead. Even the iOS person uses hangouts since he's the odd man out and it's just easier to use hangouts to talk to all of us.

My data usage is usually >2gb but less than 3gb the times I would go over 3gb few enough that paying the overage that month would still have me saving money on average.

So, it's tempting, but I'm not going to make any changes yet. I'm just more happy about the fact that there is a viable plan for me to use if I decide to try out another carrier and come back to Verizon later.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We have a corporate Verizon plan with about 40 phones, and only 20 of them still in contract. I was tasked with converting us all to a different provider like T-Mobile because of how expensive/crappy Verizon is in Boston compared to them.

With Verizon phasing out contracts though, it might be worthwhile to stick around. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Can I get our off-contract phones reduced in rate immediately? I'm waiting to hear back from our account rep but I'm wondering if there's an optimal way to go about this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They are not going to do new contracts. Nothing changes about existing ones

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
They will reduce your bill immediately. The contracts -should- be converted into monthly payment deals where you will pay $20/mo for however many months remain on your contract.

That said, if the problem is service quality where you are, you may be better off to move to a different service, depending on how much it would cost to replace those phones with ones that will function on your new service.

If you describe your plan in more detail, we might be able to comment a little more on what you might do.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Like I was saying, about 40 smartphones that people use casually. A handful of people regularly need to roam to other countries or use tethering. We fluctuate between $4000-$6000 a month for the bill, so between $100-$150 per phone which is pretty steep especially with half the phones off-contract.

The service isn't terribly spotty, it just isn't quite as solid as T-Mobile. I have a T-Mobile personal phone and a Verizon work phone so I can compare.

T-Mobile is doing stuff like a small business plan with 10 lines of 10gb data each for $240 a month total, and paying ETF. That seems pretty insane if I can apply it to some/all of these lines.

Well, here is the summary bill if you want to make sense of this madness. Much appreciated!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, just heard back...

Verizon Business Account Rep posted:

The new Verizon plans with installment payments are for consumer accounts only. The business accounts are not affected by those changes. All existing contracts remain the same. There is no option today to convert them to anything else. Once a given line’s contract expires, the service for that line continues on a month–to-month basis and can be terminated at any time with no early termination fees.

You have always had the option of providing your own equipment (as long as it is a device that is Verizon Wireless compatible). And by doing so, there would be no service contract. The service would be provided on a month–to-month basis. Same as above.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't think anyone will be able to beat Tmobile's small business pricing at $15 per phone for 40 phones which includes unlimited talk and text with 1GB of data.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Huh. Sounds like T-Mobile would give you comparable service for <25% of the price. Give them a call.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they'll give me the same plan for 40 lines that was $6000/mo with Verizon for $440/mo, and credit all the ETFs to our bill.

The Tmo biz guy said that all the iPhone 5's on Verizon are network unlocked and I can just pop a Tmo SIM into them. I know that's the case with iPhone 6 but he says Galaxy 4 and iPhone 5 and newer can all do it. Is that true?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah they'll give me the same plan for 40 lines that was $6000/mo with Verizon for $440/mo, and credit all the ETFs to our bill.

The Tmo biz guy said that all the iPhone 5's on Verizon are network unlocked and I can just pop a Tmo SIM into them. I know that's the case with iPhone 6 but he says Galaxy 4 and iPhone 5 and newer can all do it. Is that true?

Anything that Verizon has LTE on is supposed to be SIM unlocked. It was one of the terms of the 700Mhz spectrum auction that they bought most of their LTE radio space.

If you have a wide variety of devices, you might want to check each device, and check to see if they support the frequencies that T Mobile uses.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Could I take a new prepaid Verizon Moto G and get it on a post paid account with a SIM swap?

Edit: or prepaid Moto E. My father has a Samsung Fascinate that is starting to act funky.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 23, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

waffle iron posted:

Could I take a new prepaid Verizon Moto G and get it on a post paid account with a SIM swap?

Edit: or prepaid Moto E. My father has a Samsung Fascinate that is starting to act funky.

Yes, if you already have a microsim that is activated. If you try to activate the sim that comes with a new prepaid phone, the web site will not let you. But if you talk to customer service using the support chat thing on their webpage, they will usually activate it for you.

Just a warning, they wouldn't let me change my plan to one of the new simple plans while I had the Moto E activated. I had to switch to another phone before it would let me.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes, if you already have a microsim that is activated. If you try to activate the sim that comes with a new prepaid phone, the web site will not let you. But if you talk to customer service using the support chat thing on their webpage, they will usually activate it for you.

Just a warning, they wouldn't let me change my plan to one of the new simple plans while I had the Moto E activated. I had to switch to another phone before it would let me.

Thanks.

This is for his work phone so he's not paying for poo poo. He works for local government so I'm presuming it's a business plan. Does that make any difference?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

waffle iron posted:

Thanks.

This is for his work phone so he's not paying for poo poo. He works for local government so I'm presuming it's a business plan. Does that make any difference?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it makes a difference.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

contract just ended and I'm thinking about switching from my more everything 6gb/m to the new verizon plan 3gb/m. Looking at saving about $25 a month. I don't lose anything doing this right? I wouldn't be able to get a subsidized phone anymore anyway, right? Think I'm waiting for the new moto x pure or a nexus 6 refresh for a new phone anyway, my htc m7 is still doing alright.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does Verizon not require 6m prepaid service on a prepaid phone before it works on postpaid?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Unsane posted:

contract just ended and I'm thinking about switching from my more everything 6gb/m to the new verizon plan 3gb/m. Looking at saving about $25 a month. I don't lose anything doing this right? I wouldn't be able to get a subsidized phone anymore anyway, right? Think I'm waiting for the new moto x pure or a nexus 6 refresh for a new phone anyway, my htc m7 is still doing alright.

This is correct as I understand it.

Don Lapre posted:

Does Verizon not require 6m prepaid service on a prepaid phone before it works on postpaid?

I think they are supposed to, but I have read several people say that a prepaid phone will work fine if you just swap an activated SIM in to it. But I only had a nanosim and the Moto E uses a microsim. Customer service activated it for me and didn't ask for any thing other than the sim number.

YMMV.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I need some advice on the new Verizon plans. I am on a family share More Everything Unlimited Talk and Text with10gb of data shared between 4 smartphones. The plan cost is $80 and each smartphone is $40 + taxes and fees. The total comes out to about $250. Now from what I understand of the new plans it would be $80 for 12gb of data + $20/line+taxes which would be a total of $160 + the phone cost divided by 24. We are all on iPhones at varying points in our contract. From what I've worked out if everyone upgraded every 24 months at $650/phone on the new plan or it was still $200/phone as a subsidized price, it would be about $240 cheaper in the long run to stay on the contract plan. What I don't understand is if I wanted to stay on my old plan with the contracts, do I even still have the option of buying a new iphone at the subsidized price, or am I forced to buy the phone at full price no matter if I'm on my old plan or on the new plans? If I'm stuck buying at full price, then it's a no brainer to go with the new plans, unless I'm really missing something here.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Falco posted:

I need some advice on the new Verizon plans. I am on a family share More Everything Unlimited Talk and Text with10gb of data shared between 4 smartphones. The plan cost is $80 and each smartphone is $40 + taxes and fees. The total comes out to about $250. Now from what I understand of the new plans it would be $80 for 12gb of data + $20/line+taxes which would be a total of $160 + the phone cost divided by 24. We are all on iPhones at varying points in our contract. From what I've worked out if everyone upgraded every 24 months at $650/phone on the new plan or it was still $200/phone as a subsidized price, it would be about $240 cheaper in the long run to stay on the contract plan. What I don't understand is if I wanted to stay on my old plan with the contracts, do I even still have the option of buying a new iphone at the subsidized price, or am I forced to buy the phone at full price no matter if I'm on my old plan or on the new plans? If I'm stuck buying at full price, then it's a no brainer to go with the new plans, unless I'm really missing something here.

No more subsidized phones.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
There are two lines on my account. One's out of contract and already on a 24-month payment plan for a new phone; the other's contract will be up in November. I'm presently on a More Everything plan, but have already queued up a switch to the new plans, which will kick in when my next billing cycle starts on September 4.

Is Verizon likely to let me get a new phone in late September (which may or may not be an iPhone) on the line that still has a contract, or will I have to wait until November to do so?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

There are two lines on my account. One's out of contract and already on a 24-month payment plan for a new phone; the other's contract will be up in November. I'm presently on a More Everything plan, but have already queued up a switch to the new plans, which will kick in when my next billing cycle starts on September 4.

Is Verizon likely to let me get a new phone in late September (which may or may not be an iPhone) on the line that still has a contract, or will I have to wait until November to do so?
As soon as you move to the new Verizon plan you cannot do 2-year pricing. No getting around that, management doesn't even have a process for forcing it though.

If your upgrade is in November it's unlikely you'll be able to now before the plan change takes place or at least not at the fully discounted 2-year price.

Current procedure for doing manager overrides for early upgrades involves negotiating something between full retail and the full 2-year price and that's usually only if there are extenuating circumstances like your phone is damaged or some emergency situation.

If you want to do 2-year in late September call to cancel your pending plan change and do it later after you upgrade in November.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I may not have used the right terminology. I'm not interested in a new contract or a subsidized phone.

After I switch to the new t-shirt plan, the line that's still under contract will have a $20 surcharge (to pay off the rest of my subsidy, presumably). I want to know if I can get a new phone, full price, 24 payments, and get the $20 surcharge off that line, or if I'll have to pay that extra fee until the end of the contract regardless.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I may not have used the right terminology. I'm not interested in a new contract or a subsidized phone.

After I switch to the new t-shirt plan, the line that's still under contract will have a $20 surcharge (to pay off the rest of my subsidy, presumably). I want to know if I can get a new phone, full price, 24 payments, and get the $20 surcharge off that line, or if I'll have to pay that extra fee until the end of the contract regardless.
If you're under an existing contract you aren't eligible to start a device payment plan until you reach the end of your contract.

Normally.

Sometimes there are 'Early device payment' promotions available that will let you start a device payment plan. Sometimes these require you to turn in your existing smartphone. Sometimes they do not. It just depends what offers the Holy Marketing Computer has decided to allow your account to use.

Call customer service to see what special offers are available.

If you get one of those early promos your line charge drops from $40 to $20 even though you are still in contract for a bit.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If I have to wait an extra month to get the iPhone 7.5 or whatever they announce next month, it's certainly not the end of the world. If I can get it early, though, that's also pretty swell. I'll probably check in late September, after the new plan is in force and the new phone is available, because it's a quick and easy thing to do.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I want to change to one of the new plans, I kepe getting a weird $40 line charge addition. Is it supposed to be that or the $20 per line?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

If I want to change to one of the new plans, I kepe getting a weird $40 line charge addition. Is it supposed to be that or the $20 per line?

I believe they charge $40 if you are still under contract.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Cozmosis posted:

I believe they charge $40 if you are still under contract.

This is correct. When I checked the price to compare to my current plan it showed that I'm off contract and it would be $20 for my line, but $40 for the other line, as her contract doesn't end until October.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
If you work at Verizon, have unlimited data and want to AOL someone else in, it will force you to change your plan to the Verizon plan. Going to call and see if they would do it over the phone or if I can just add a subaccount to get them my discount. Otherwise...the jig is up.

Edit: Holy poo poo I forgot to mention you can still upgrade and keep your unlimited data. So thats all good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lame but thanks guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So it sounds like I might have to wait a month or two after iPhone launch before i can buy one. Any recommendations on a cheaper android phone I can use for a month or two? I would get a Moto G, but I don't think the Verizon version has LTE?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Buy something used from Swappa. Original Moto X is around 100 bucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Upgrading from an Iphone 4 to a droid turbo I got of swappa, do I need to get a SIM card or anything to activate it once it shows up? If so, how do I do that?

• Locked thread