Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm having a problem with my Pi with Kodi, I use it for streaming video on YouTube/genesis etc and it's recently developed a habit of stopping the video every 10-15 minutes I've tried clearing the cache with the maintenance tool addon but still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm having a problem with my Pi with Kodi, I use it for streaming video on YouTube/genesis etc and it's recently developed a habit of stopping the video every 10-15 minutes I've tried clearing the cache with the maintenance tool addon but still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Does it do this with every video? I had this problem with a full 1080p where the audio would drop out then freeze the video. Stopping and restarting it would be fine for a bit. Only that one video. I have it over clocked and was thinking the massive file may be choking it or overheating it.

No issue on 720p videos.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wait. How can you view YouTube through Kodi? :tviv:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bovril Delight posted:

Does it do this with every video? I had this problem with a full 1080p where the audio would drop out then freeze the video. Stopping and restarting it would be fine for a bit. Only that one video. I have it over clocked and was thinking the massive file may be choking it or overheating it.

No issue on 720p videos.

As a general rule I only select non HD videos, it happens on pretty much every video I've watched for the past few weeks.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

eightysixed posted:

Wait. How can you view YouTube through Kodi? :tviv:

There's an addon provided by the devs. It's available through the addon manager. You can either browse to videos through the menu system (search even works), or you can have the addon loaded and push the video from a different device. For example, I've got a Chrome addon that allows me to just hit a button on any YouTube page, and it pushes it straight to the box and starts playing. For things with age restrictions, you have to authenticate, but it should keep the authentication after you've activated it initially.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi for home security? I'm thinking motion sensor camera and alarm system. I get that you can do this but how well does it actually work is what I want to know.

https://sites.google.com/site/gadjetnut/home/home-alarm-system-project

It's been tried before. There is a big disclaimer though that while it should work, it will not lower your insurance premiums.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

i've been browsing the last few pages of this thread hoping to find some ideas for my own raspberry pi. i've fallen in love with wanting to make something with it since i helped a friend make a weather simulator for his aquarium. outside of that though, i've been shopping around for ideas, but none of them seem that appealing? the lunchbox computer sounds fun as hell but outside of creating it there's no practical use for it for me.

i am considering developing an internet radio for some podcasts on my way to work, but i am thinking i could possibly make something cooler.

anyone have come across a really cool idea for the pi2 in the past few months?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fractale posted:

a weather simulator for his aquarium

That's a really cool idea. Talk more about that.

e: I want a handheld Nethack client. Like it sniffs out & hops onto whatever wifi it finds and telnets to NAO, find me parts for that

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Make a battery powered hotspot that randomly cycles through offensive SSIDs and redirects every request to Goatse.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

That's a really cool idea. Talk more about that.

e: I want a handheld Nethack client. Like it sniffs out & hops onto whatever wifi it finds and telnets to NAO, find me parts for that

there's tons of them all over youtube, including tutorials. this is the most ambitious one i've seen.

lord of the files fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 14, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fractale posted:

there's tons of them all over youtube, including tutorials. this is the most ambitious one i've seen.

To hell with the aquarium, I want my room done up like that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have a nice looking reset button they can link? It looks like all you need is the pin 2/6 to be tripped to do a reboot command on the Rpi2 right?
I want something that looks nice as it will be used by my firm in the break room. Right now I'm using the pi to stream a video feed from an onsite server. When the feed gets interrupted, the pi needs to be rebooted. With all the talk of pulling the power being bad, and not wanting the employees to need to pull power, I'd like to find a good looking reset switch that they can just hit in case of issues. I have bash start up everything they need otherwise.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

deong posted:

Does anyone have a nice looking reset button they can link? It looks like all you need is the pin 2/6 to be tripped to do a reboot command on the Rpi2 right?
I want something that looks nice as it will be used by my firm in the break room. Right now I'm using the pi to stream a video feed from an onsite server. When the feed gets interrupted, the pi needs to be rebooted. With all the talk of pulling the power being bad, and not wanting the employees to need to pull power, I'd like to find a good looking reset switch that they can just hit in case of issues. I have bash start up everything they need otherwise.

Hard rebooting the Pi by connecting those pins is not much better than pulling the plug. The only exception is if the kernel has hung or the system is already in a halted state and you want to get it rebooted again.

You're better off doing this:

http://iot-projects.com/index.php?id=raspberry-pi-shutdown-button

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 14, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's the 330 ohm resistor doing in that schematic? That's weird.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Red_Fred posted:

How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi for home security? I'm thinking motion sensor camera and alarm system. I get that you can do this but how well does it actually work is what I want to know.

I use one for sending push notifications to my phone when outdoor motion sensors are tripped.

For video-based motion sensing and recording, it's just not powerful enough.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

BattleMaster posted:

What's the 330 ohm resistor doing in that schematic? That's weird.

Hadn't noticed that, but I agree, that's a bit of an odd way of doing it.

Normally you'd just use a standard pull down resistor for when the button isn't being pressed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jamsta posted:

Hadn't noticed that, but I agree, that's a bit of an odd way of doing it.

Normally you'd just use a standard pull down resistor for when the button isn't being pressed.

I just realized that it's probably intended as protection in case the I/O pin is set as an output by accident, to prevent it from sourcing too much current on a logic 1 when the button is pressed. I guess that's reasonable since a lot of Raspi users don't have a strong electronics background.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Where's a good place to pick up a Raspberry Pi 2? Anything on Amazon is marked up 15-20% and there aren't any Micro Centers near me. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and pick up one of these $70 kits that includes everything I'd end up buying piecemeal anyway...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Karthe posted:

Where's a good place to pick up a Raspberry Pi 2?

Depends where you are. Fry's carries them and so does the little retail area in TechShop, if you have either of those nearby. You can also just order from Newark element14 and get it pretty quick.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Those kits make sense if you don't have any parts. You can just power it from any spare smart phone brick, and most people have an SD card floating around that's not currently in use. My "case" has been nailing down the Pi using four penny nails through the mounting holes and bent over slightly.

If you have those things I would buy it bare and go buy one of the $20 adafruit display hats and play around with it first. If that strikes your fancy they sell a case that lets you use the display with the case on.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you like things all pretty and complete, the $70 Canakit works well for me, who had almost none of the spare bits. If I buy another Pi, I'll probably just get the board and scrounge everything else, but that'll be because Pi #1 will probably be in the living room playing RetroPie, and has to look nice, with #2 being the fuckaround board that lives in a plastic box next to the router.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hadlock posted:

Those kits make sense if you don't have any parts. You can just power it from any spare smart phone brick, and most people have an SD card floating around that's not currently in use. My "case" has been nailing down the Pi using four penny nails through the mounting holes and bent over slightly.

If you have those things I would buy it bare and go buy one of the $20 adafruit display hats and play around with it first. If that strikes your fancy they sell a case that lets you use the display with the case on.

If you're looking for something a bit less kludgy than bent nails and you're mounting to something you can drill into, cotter pins have worked well for me.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I went ahead and splurged on a similar kit. I lucked out and found my spare 64GB MicroSD card so I'm going to throw Raspbian on that and probably replace my B+ pulling Usenet duty.

I'm also crossing my fingers that the Pi 2 has enough juice to run ScreenConnect. Theoretically it should be fine but I've heard SC had issues with the floating point functionality in Raspbian on a Pi 1 B+. I think I read something about the ARM v7 CPU having better floating point support, though, so I said gently caress it and figured I'd find out on my own. Worst case scenario I turn it into a web dev box.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Karthe posted:

Where's a good place to pick up a Raspberry Pi 2? Anything on Amazon is marked up 15-20% and there aren't any Micro Centers near me. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and pick up one of these $70 kits that includes everything I'd end up buying piecemeal anyway...

Microcenter will have them on the shelf.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Karthe posted:

I went ahead and splurged on a similar kit. I lucked out and found my spare 64GB MicroSD card so I'm going to throw Raspbian on that and probably replace my B+ pulling Usenet duty.

I'm also crossing my fingers that the Pi 2 has enough juice to run ScreenConnect. Theoretically it should be fine but I've heard SC had issues with the floating point functionality in Raspbian on a Pi 1 B+. I think I read something about the ARM v7 CPU having better floating point support, though, so I said gently caress it and figured I'd find out on my own. Worst case scenario I turn it into a web dev box.

You're not going to see much improvement switching from a Pi to Pi2. The downloading end is going to be constricted because the USB and LAN are on the same bus and fight eachother for bandwith. An Odroid-C1 would be better for a pure Usenet downloader. Dealing with the rar files should be a tad bit better.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

eschaton posted:

Depends where you are. Fry's carries them and so does the little retail area in TechShop, if you have either of those nearby. You can also just order from Newark element14 and get it pretty quick.

Went to the sf techshop this morning. They had nothing but arduino kits.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Check Frys, you can find their local availability on their website: http://www.frys.com/product/8402328?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Have you tried Newark/Element 14?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Jameco has them in stock, can always go pick it up at will call.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My Pi-bot is finally mobile. I didn't have to gently caress around with the PCA9685 PWM board afterall -- RPIO is totally acceptable for running a motor controller, it turns out.

Does anyone know how/why GPIO 5 would be HIGH on boot but GPIO12 is LOW? Kind of annoying that my robot likes to spin in clockwise circles (takes the whole "loading" icon to a whole 'nother level...) until the initial python script boots and apparently starting the python prompt resets that pin. It would be nice if I could force the GPIO LOW to start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnFgV8NwNA

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I finally got my head around the setup for Retropie, and am enjoying it immensely. Is there any immediate advantages in getting a raspberry pi 2 for a more permanent setup? right now i'm using a raspberry pi 1 b early revision.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So I'm this close to getting ScreenConnect working on this Pi 2. I had to track down a soft float version of Raspbian from 2013 but after dropping the most recent kernel, GPU driver, and bootloader onto the install media everything booted up fine. I even got it updated to Wheezy 7.8. Unfortunately SC's custom Mono is still making GBS threads the bed. I've reached out to a couple people over there, maybe one of them will take pity on me and help me figure out this last issue. :v:

Edit: For a bit of backstory, ScreenConnect's customized Mono is compiled for ARMv7 on a Beaglebone Black, but it has issues with any OS compiled to use hardware FPUs. Current Raspbian builds are based on Debian/armhf, but the key in getting this far was finding a Raspbian built from Debian/armel. Ugh, I now know way more about this stuff than I wanted to.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 17, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

I got an email about it at like 3 AM this morning. It's available here.

Just as an FYI, it's not a real version of Windows 10... It's Windows 10 IoT, which is a static single screen version that lets you deploy windows 10 apps to the Pi. You don't actually have a desktop you can click around, or a browser or anything like that. MS was really misleading with the whole Windows 10 for the Pi spiel.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

awesome-express posted:

Just as an FYI, it's not a real version of Windows 10. It's a stripped down, static single screen version that lets you deploy windows 10 apps to the Pi. You don't actually have a desktop you can click around, or a browser or anything like that. MS was really misleading with the whole Windows 10 for the Pi spiel.
And it doesn't appear to even be a proper headless Windows. It seems designed exclusively to manage small sensors and whatnot, hence the IoT tag. I was kinda hoping I could use it as a headless server but of course Microsoft wouldn't make it that easy.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

awesome-express posted:

Just as an FYI, it's not a real version of Windows 10... It's Windows 10 IoT, which is a static single screen version that lets you deploy windows 10 apps to the Pi. You don't actually have a desktop you can click around, or a browser or anything like that. MS was really misleading with the whole Windows 10 for the Pi spiel.

MS was completely transparent about what Windows 10 IoT could and couldn't do.

The misleading part came from tech bloggers and forum posters who read only the headline, believed that they were Raspberry Pi experts because they'd once gotten somebody else's pre-baked SD image to run Super Mario Bros, and assumed that of course MS was going to deploy the full-fat desktop OS version with decades of x86 legacy support to a low-end smartphone SoC.

If you thought that Windows 10 for the Pi was going to be the full desktop version, I have some more disappointing news for you: even though Microsoft told everybody that "Xbox integration" would be a part of Windows 10, you still can't run Xbox One games on your 2007 integrated-graphics Dell laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

Absolutely. From the beginning they said you'd connect using psremote and would be a command line only type experience. There was never once a screenshot of a desktop or a diagram depicting a mouse and keyboard hooked up to a win 10 Pi with a monitor like a desktop.

If you want a desktop IoT experience, people have gotten the cubieboard minnow max to run vanilla win 8.1 and so 10 ought to be capable.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Problem is most folk don't read MS press releases. Engadget, Gizmodo, and The Verge, who also got a sizeable 'donation' from MS, all claimed that the RPI would run Windows 10 as a full desktop experience. Or at least worded it in a way that sounded as such. I fell for it :shrug:

Edit: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/7962179/raspberry-pi-windows-10

quote:

With the pricing of the Raspberry Pi 2 and Microsoft’s free copy of Windows 10, you could have a full PC for just $35 later this year.

lol verge

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 17, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There was never once a screenshot of a desktop or a diagram depicting a mouse and keyboard hooked up to a win 10 Pi with a monitor like a desktop.

Your statement is true, but they came pretty close:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

The misleading part came from tech bloggers and forum posters who read only the headline, believed that they were Raspberry Pi experts because they'd once gotten somebody else's pre-baked SD image to run Super Mario Bros, and assumed that of course MS was going to deploy the full-fat desktop OS version with decades of x86 legacy support to a low-end smartphone SoC.

If you thought that Windows 10 for the Pi was going to be the full desktop version, I have some more disappointing news for you: even though Microsoft told everybody that "Xbox integration" would be a part of Windows 10, you still can't run Xbox One games on your 2007 integrated-graphics Dell laptop.

x86 support no, but the normal windows version for arm is pretty full-featured, and it runs on low-end smartphone SoCs. It even has an actual desktop that only Office is allowed to use. This is a communication problem, not a hardware problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Frobbe posted:

I finally got my head around the setup for Retropie, and am enjoying it immensely. Is there any immediate advantages in getting a raspberry pi 2 for a more permanent setup? right now i'm using a raspberry pi 1 b early revision.

Better speeds without having to overclock for some systems would be the primary reason but you also can't upgrade RetroPie from the Pi 1 to a Pi 2 so you'll have to start over again (after you copy your configs and roms).