Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
*There
*too
*a lot

:eng101:

And I thought the general consensus was that people didn't shoot officer wife-beater because they knew him. Which is...you know...human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Veskit posted:

I don't have the time nor the patience to read the 1000 posts I missed. May I ask what we're even debating here?
Well aside from pedantic bullshit posters being zapped for doing what they do, we are looking at Walter Scott shooting 2.0. Just that this time the victim is a teen, we have no video footage of the shooting and this time the weapon found near/around/no where near the body is a gun instead of a tazer. And as always the same people who always defend any questionable shooting are doing what they do going after low hanging fruit in an effort to tank the thread.

See the above post. Maybe they will be able to post better when they get in front of a computer instead of phone posting.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 17, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Was he black?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Yeah he was a 14 year old unarmed black boy. Wonder how long it will take before someone posts his height and a suspension from school along with "he was no child".

quote:

Twelve hours after the shooting, police recovered a .22-caliber handgun underneath [sic, a car?] nearby.

quote:

“The boy didn’t even come from that direction, so I don’t see how his gun could’ve been found over there near Pashley Avenue. If the suspect was running from Pashley, then why were the rear of homes on Dunham Street hit with bullets.”

quote:

Other witnesses told the paper that a responding officer threw his arms in the air as if to say "Oh my God," when another cop unloaded nearly 10 shots. The boy reportedly cried out: "Why they have to shoot me?"

even the other cop on the scene knew it was hosed. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-black-14yearold-shot-7-times-by-police-officer-in-new-jersey-10454395.html

A gun near the scene, that wasn't found for 12 hours, was enough for AR to assume this boy was no angel worth defending.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The opinion of someone who makes their living from the very system that continually perpetrates these kind of murders is less than worthless btw.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So what the gently caress is there to debate another one of my black brothers unjustly died from the hands of the police and they'll get away with it again.

:toot:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Veskit posted:

So what the gently caress is there to debate another one of my black brothers unjustly died from the hands of the police and they'll get away with it again.

:toot:

Well. You could start by reading the article which stated (right up front) that he survived.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Kalman posted:

Well. You could start by reading the article which stated (right up front) that he survived.

My dumbass point still stands.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Of course. A 14 year old black kid. Thankfully not dead this time either despite shooting him 7 times.

Police say they saw a gun but that's standard for every police shooting.

And don't worry about the link. Some people may have issues opening it up or it may be blocked at work.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Veskit posted:

Was he black?

Officers responding to a report of gun shots.
Finds three teens. Radazz Hearns, a 14 year old african american male and one of the three teens, runs from police. Police open fire hitting him 7 times in lower body. He survived, was hospitalized, and is now recovering at home.

As far as I can tell Radazz was un-armed, at least once the police were there.
A gun was found in the vicinity under a car, but has not been connected to any of the teens.
Witnesses, but not the actual responding police, report that Radazz reached for his waistband when he ran. Other witnesses state he was just trying to hold his pants up.
No video and Radazz has not been charged. One of the officers attorneys stated that Radazz "certainly had a gun".

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 17, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair the fact he survived is more luck than anything else and shouldn't be used to mitigate that he was shot at with lethal intent.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

DARPA posted:

Yeah he was a 14 year old unarmed black boy. Wonder how long it will take before someone posts his height and a suspension from school along with "he was no child".

even the other cop on the scene knew it was hosed. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-black-14yearold-shot-7-times-by-police-officer-in-new-jersey-10454395.html

A gun near the scene, that wasn't found for 12 hours, was enough for AR to assume this boy was no angel worth defending.

Was that what I said? Funny. I don't remember saying that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So what kind of idiot would defend this?

ActusRhesus posted:

Well at least now you're acknowledging there was a gun at all.

ActusRhesus posted:

The bigger issue is the giant wildcard of "unknown assailant" there is a huge delta between the victim numbers and the offender numbers.

ActusRhesus posted:

No. That the police were responding to a report of multiple shots fired, the two who complied were not shot, and a non cop witness said the victim was reaching "into" his waistband, and a gun was, in fact found at the scene. I'm sure it was planted though, right?

Trust me. This case is not the hill you want to die on.

ActusRhesus posted:

You're still omitting key details.

ActusRhesus posted:

you left out the parts where the police were responding to a report of multiple shots fired, two of the people at the stop complied with law enforcement and were peacefully detained, the one who was shot started running (and again....shots fired....public safety issue) a non-cop witness reported seeing the kid reach into his pants, and a handgun was recovered at the scene.

What are you trying to argue? If you're arguing that it was legal then congratulations, you win. Cops can shoot black people "reasons" and it's ok.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

-Zydeco- posted:

Officers responding to a report of gun shots.
Finds three teens. Radazz Hearns, a 14 year old african american runs from police. Police open fire hitting him 7 times in lower body. He survived, was hospitalized, and is now recovering at home.

Radazz was un-armed.
A gun was found in the vicinity under a car, but has not been connected to any of the teens.
Witnesses, but not the actual responding police (so far), report that Radazz reached for his waistband when he ran.
No video and Radazz has not been charged. One of the officers attorneys stated that Radazz "certainly had a gun".

http://www.trentonian.com/general-news/20150812/teen-shot-by-police-in-trenton-ran-because-he-sensed-trouble-his-attorney-says

Trentonian posted:

Police sources who spoke on condition of anonymity initially said Hearns turned and fired a gun at officers during the chase.

Luckily it seems there was at least one actual non-police witness to the shooting.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah I left that out since it wasn't supported by any witness statements, or police reports.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

Was that what I said? Funny. I don't remember saying that.

ActusRhesus posted:

Trust me. This case is not the hill you want to die on.

Do you not understand what that term means?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Veskit posted:

So what kind of idiot would defend this?

What are you trying to argue? If you're arguing that it was legal then congratulations, you win. Cops can shoot black people "reasons" and it's ok.

I have made zero statements about the character of the victim. I'm focusing on the objective facts that would lead an officer to believe (correctly or incorrectly...don't know yet) that a person fleeing from police responding to a multiple shots fired scenario, might in fact be the shooter and might in fact pose a threat to public safety.

At no point did I make any judgments on the character of the victim, nor did I say "it's ok to shoot black people"

Jesus loving Christ people.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Veskit posted:

Isn't that kind of her job?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

[I have made zero statements about the character of the victim. I'm focusing on the objective facts that would lead an officer to believe (correctly or incorrectly...don't know yet) that a person fleeing from police responding to a multiple shots fired scenario, might in fact be the shooter and might in fact pose a threat to public safety.

So why bring up a gun found 12 hours later?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

I have made zero statements about the character of the victim. I'm focusing on the objective facts that would lead an officer to believe (correctly or incorrectly...don't know yet) that a person fleeing from police responding to a multiple shots fired scenario, might in fact be the shooter and might in fact pose a threat to public safety.

At no point did I make any judgments on the character of the victim, nor did I say "it's ok to shoot black people"

Jesus loving Christ people.

So you're trying to explain why an officer would do this, but not just saying cops like shooting black people as the main reasoning?

frajaq posted:

Isn't that kind of her job?

Kind of a problem?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Who knew it could be hard to switch off when your very livelihood depends on taking the police at their word.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

DARPA posted:

Do you not understand what that term means?

Yeah. I understand what it means. And the facts of this case look a lot more "reasonable belief" friendly for the cops than, say, a Freddie Gray case. And that's the standard. Not "was it right with the benefit of hindsight" it's "was it reasonable under the circumstances."

No one has said there aren't racist cops. No one has said there are no bad shoots.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Larch posted:

So why bring up a gun found 12 hours later?

Are you seriously trying to say a gun with 3 rounds in it recovered at or near a location where people were stopped following a report of multiple shots fired is irrelevant? Going through the guy's grades and digging up dirt is a lot different than acknowledging physical evidence AT the scene, no?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Are you trying to say the cops had motive to shoot? Like I don't know what dumb point you're trying to make i genuinely don't and am trying.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Veskit posted:

Are you trying to say the cops had motive to shoot? Like I don't know what dumb point you're trying to make i genuinely don't and am trying.

A gun existed nearby, so therefore there was mortal danger to the cops.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

A gun existed nearby, so therefore there was mortal danger to the cops.

Since cops carry guns they are always in danger and can shoot anyone.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

It's not just safety to officers. It's also safety to public.

1.cops respond to report of multiple shots fired.
2. Cops arrive.
3. 2 individuals are compliant. 1 runs.
4. Running individual is in vicinity of where shots are fired.
5. Running individual either a. Tries to hold up his pants b. reaches into his pants or c. Fires shots at officers depending on which witness account you believe (and so far no report has released exactly where the gun was found)
6. Police now are stuck with "is that just a kid running away, or is that person armed and a threat to the public if those shots came from him". lovely position to be in.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. I understand what it means. And the facts of this case look a lot more "reasonable belief" friendly for the cops than, say, a Freddie Gray case. And that's the standard. Not "was it right with the benefit of hindsight" it's "was it reasonable under the circumstances."

No one has said there aren't racist cops. No one has said there are no bad shoots.

You're right, in a police state the "facts of this case" make the shooting entirely within reason. That's the goddamn problem.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

tezcat posted:

Of course. A 14 year old black kid. Thankfully not dead this time either despite shooting him 7 times.

Police say they saw a gun but that's standard for every police shooting.

And don't worry about the link. Some people may have issues opening it up or it may be blocked at work.

I think I'm just surprised that they didn't handcuff him and leave him on the ground for a good 4-5 hours to make sure he was dead.
Progress? :suicide:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

quote:

Police sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the shooting said the teenager was running from law enforcement when he allegedly reached for a gun in his waistband, then turned and fired at police, who fired back. Sources said the teen’s gun was found Saturday morning.
Wonder if this leaked lie was automatic, or they worked it out ahead of time.

quote:

A K-9 later sniffed the crime scene, witnesses said, but did not locate a weapon. The Dunham Street witness said she overheard police talking about a weapon being found on Saturday morning, so she took a picture of it. The picture, which she shared with The Trentonian, shows an object lying in the middle of Calhoun Street near the Pashley Avenue intersection. The witness said the area was filled with people, including law enforcement, all night long; and she doesn’t understand how police and the K-9 missed a gun lying in the middle of the street less than 100 feet away from where the teen collapsed after being shot.

“The boy didn’t even come from that direction, so I don’t see how his gun could’ve been found over there near Pashley Avenue,” the woman said. “If the suspect was running from Pashley, then why were the rear of homes on Dunham Street hit with bullets.”

ActusRhesus posted:

It's not just safety to officers. It's also safety to public.

1.cops respond to report of multiple shots fired.
2. Cops arrive.
3. 2 individuals are compliant. 1 runs.
4. Running individual is in vicinity of where shots are fired.
5. Running individual either a. Tries to hold up his pants b. reaches into his pants or c. Fires shots at officers depending on which witness account you believe (and so far no report has released exactly where the gun was found)
6. Police now are stuck with "is that just a kid running away, or is that person armed and a threat to the public if those shots came from him". lovely position to be in.
Took 12 hours to find a gun, which includes 4 hours of daylight. Why are you even implying the boy might have had a weapon on him?

quote:

The woman said she wants to speak with Acting Attorney General John Hoffman, and only asked to remain anonymous for this report due to the position she holds with law enforcement. When asked if she heard gunshots near her home at two different times Friday night, she said that all of the shots were fired in rapid succession. She said she never heard any gunshots prior to the shots that were seemingly fired by police.

http://www.trentonian.com/general-news/20150809/witnesses-question-honesty-of-police-involved-shooting-investigation-in-trenton

DARPA fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 17, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

DARPA posted:

Wonder if this leaked lie was automatic, or they worked it out ahead of time.

Took 12 hours to find a gun, which includes 4 hours of daylight. Why are you even implying the boy might have had a weapon on him?

http://www.trentonian.com/general-news/20150809/witnesses-question-honesty-of-police-involved-shooting-investigation-in-trenton

I am presenting all accounts with the caveat "depending on which account you believe"
And pointing out we don't know where the gun was. Could have been a block away. Could have been 2 feet away. Don't know.

As to which one *i* believe: waiting for the full report. Thanks.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ActusRhesus posted:

Are you seriously trying to say a gun with 3 rounds in it recovered at or near a location where people were stopped following a report of multiple shots fired is irrelevant? Going through the guy's grades and digging up dirt is a lot different than acknowledging physical evidence AT the scene, no?

A more cogent point is if the suspect was armed, why did it take them 12 hours to recover the firearm? Are we sure this recovered firearm was used? That it's related to the incident?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
God, they can't even use a throwdown correctly. Drop it by the suspect idiots.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

We don't know any of that. You're right.

And it may turn out the gun had been sitting there for a week and had nothing to do with any of this. But ignoring the fact a gun was present (at or near...no clue how close) is disingenuous.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm still confused why any of this matters or the what of you're debating.

Maybe we should play true detective in a different thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think this discussion would be far more productive if the parties could stipulate to the following:

1. Refrain from debating and analyzing the facts of individual cases. Nobody in this thread has personal knowledge of what happened; they're working off news reports, and unverified statements from witnesses.

Plus, we all know that [Arguing about what really happened] is just a proxy for debating the real issues. The anti-police side will always assume and highlight the facts which support police abuse, and the pro-police side will always assume and highlight the facts which support justification of the shooting.

2. Stipulate that regardless of any institutional racism in law enforcement, the public certainly feels that way. Whether its true or not, the way the public perceives it is all that really matters, because that perception contributes to a culture of lawlessness, which exacerbates issues with enforcement, which contributes to distrust, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
We could also accept that everyone is racist, but that'd about as likely.

Just think if we had body cameras we'd know what happened.
This one is too close to call, at the moment.
It does seem strange to me that if he was actually firing at officers, why the others didn't shoot. There may be a legitmate reason for that (bad sight lines, houses behind him, too far), but in a vacuum, seems strangem

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

nm posted:

You're a serious real person?

blarzgh posted:

2. Stipulate that regardless of any institutional racism in law enforcement, the public certainly feels that way. Whether its true or not, the way the public perceives it is all that really matters, because that perception contributes to a culture of lawlessness, which exacerbates issues with enforcement, which contributes to distrust, etc.

What no that's ridiculous I'm not perceiving that black people are disproportionately shot more than anyone else. That's a loving fact. Unless someone needs me to argue that?

What the gently caress is wrong with this thread :psyduck:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

^^^^^
We could also accept that everyone is racist, but that'd about as likely.

Just think if we had body cameras we'd know what happened.
It does seem strange to me that if he was actually firing at officers, why the others didn't shoot. There may be a legitmate reason for that (bad sight lines, houses behind him, too far), but in a vacuum, seems strangem

My understanding was 2 opened fire but only 1's lawyer is talking.

But I agree. I need more facts to make an opinion one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

My understanding was 2 opened fire but only 1's lawyer is talking.

But I agree. I need more facts to make an opinion one way or the other.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What facts would you need to hear to go "ohhh yeah, that shooting of a running unarmed black kid was totally justified" I'm serious by the way.

• Locked thread