Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It keeps the most recent version locally, but it does call home every launch looking for updated files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just play it in Japanese and read the wiki's translations.
Doesn't the patcher use the wiki's translations though?

I'm definitely going to give this game's (and ULiL for that matter) translation a once-over after I finish some other stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I meant more that if you just read the wiki's translations you don't have to deal with the complexity of the patcher. And touhou doesn't have enough dialogue for it to bother me too much when left untranslated.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Is that so?

Edit: Being terribly backward and behind the times, I have only just realised that they released the soundtrack for the Fantasy Kaleidoscope Scarlet Mist Incident episode a few months ago. Whilst it has the delightfully menacing UN Owen arrange, it inexplicably omits both of Sakuya's themes. Such disappoint.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like seeing the spellcard names!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

I like seeing the spellcard names!

This and the lack of stage names is the big issue yeah.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Legacy seems relatively easier compared to Pointdevice since you get graze so easily

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Pointdevice technically has no lose condition and yet Legacy does feel easier because you get way more bombs to skip Clownpiece and Junko with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In some ways, forcing the player to decide for themselves when they've lost seems crueler to me.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This is the first time a fairy's had as high a position as stage 5 boss, right?

Good for you, Clownpiece. Good for you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fairies were the final boss in Touhou 12.8

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's hard to get out of the mentality of reflexively bombing before you die in Pointdevice mode. On the whole though it's hard for me to go back to Legacy now. Immediate respawn makes it so much easier to actually learn to deal with troublesome cards instead of just brute-forcing it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fairies were the final boss in Touhou 12.8

It was an all-fairy game outside of Extra, though. That's practically affirmative action.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also the final stage of 12.8 is just a stage 3.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Also the final stage of 12.8 is just a stage 3.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
A survival card? Did I make it to EX this soon? Nope, just the midpoint of stage 5 boss and I've used up my bombs. :suicide:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clownpiece has two survival cards, and the final boss has one too. Enjoy!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Clarste posted:

Clownpiece has two survival cards, and the final boss has one too. Enjoy!

Has one "two survival cards"?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Normally the games have some sort of laser quota, too, but I see the limiter was removed for this one. Neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Has one "two survival cards"?

I don't think that's how grammar works.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

I don't think that's how grammar works.

Well when you said "the final boss has one too" I got confused. Does this mean the final boss has one survival card, but has a survival card too? Or does this mean the final boss also has two survival cards with "has one" referring to two survival cards?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't see how this is ambiguous, but the final boss has one survival card.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

I don't see how this is ambiguous, but the final boss has one survival card.

It just to me because when you add "too" it makes it seem like you're referring back to "Has two survival cards". V:shobon:V

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, what's the trick to beating that one Clownpiece spell card with the bullet circles that slow down when you get close? I've tried starting right next to her and slowly backing away, but i can't kill her before i get pushed to the bottom of the screen, and if i try moving upwards inbetween bullets i inevitably get surrounded and die. There must be something i'm missing here because i've died well over a hundred times to this and i still don't have a clue how you're supposed to clear it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AdorableStar posted:

It just to me because when you add "too" it makes it seem like you're referring back to "Has two survival cards". V:shobon:V

I don't know if the Zoidberg-esque emoticon is intentional but it fits perfectly.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Freak Futanari posted:

So, what's the trick to beating that one Clownpiece spell card with the bullet circles that slow down when you get close? I've tried starting right next to her and slowly backing away, but i can't kill her before i get pushed to the bottom of the screen, and if i try moving upwards inbetween bullets i inevitably get surrounded and die. There must be something i'm missing here because i've died well over a hundred times to this and i still don't have a clue how you're supposed to clear it.

Graze the circles as they come down so that they make gaps you can slip through. Each time you do, quickly reposition sideways and upward with unfocus.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I find that the best approach is to play chicken with about 4 waves right in the center of the screen to do maximum damage to Clownpiece, then switch off to one side until you have room to move back to the middle again. Getting above the last wave's bullets and trying to decelerate the next wave there tends to be a recipe for a Marisa sandwich in my experience.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Space Flower posted:

Graze the circles as they come down so that they make gaps you can slip through. Each time you do, quickly reposition sideways and upward with unfocus.

I've been trying to do this, but the bullets always slow down to the point where they hang around and block me from dodging the next circles. Clownpiece is awful

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Freak Futanari posted:

I've been trying to do this, but the bullets always slow down to the point where they hang around and block me from dodging the next circles. Clownpiece is awful

Yeah, you have to treat that part like streaming and always be somewhere new. Waiting on multiple waves like Boromir suggested is probably better for needles and missiles or whatever Marisa has this time, but I've been using Sanae and so I just try to cover all the ground I can.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Space Flower posted:

Yeah, you have to treat that part like streaming and always be somewhere new. Waiting on multiple waves like Boromir suggested is probably better for needles and missiles or whatever Marisa has this time, but I've been using Sanae and so I just try to cover all the ground I can.

I've never felt more justified in hoarding my bombs for a spellcard than when that one showed up. Could I have gotten it right? Probably eventually. I just didn't have the patience for it like I did the other cards. At least the Dual lasers going in alternate directions was fun and reminded me a bit of Nue. That one with the slowing down bullets by grazing felt like a tedious slog though, and speaking of, I always seem to die as soon as the third part of Junko's final spellcard happens, I dunno what it is about the blue ring of bullets that makes my eyes stop working but it's like clockwork. I almost wish there were checkpoints between segments of it because the first two quarters are incredibly boring. Having to wait like a minute between chances to practice the part I'm bad at is pretty obnoxious.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tigey posted:

Liking her creepy rear end theme - especially the discordant opening.

It's a little too low-key for my tastes; yeah the opening is perfect, but then it gets kind of mellow. Then again, I was expecting another Hartmann's Youkai Girl or the like, so maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Mind you, that soft, otherworldly theme seems to be the 'thing' for LoLK's music. Just take a listen to Junko's stage theme. The Extra stage's theme is also bass-heavy, and just take a listen to Hecatia's theme. They might be your thing, but I can't say I'm a fan of the music this time around, save maybe for Junko's theme.

EDIT 2: Okay, and maybe both Kishin's stage theme and her boss theme.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 17, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm a big fan of ZUN easing off those synth guitars.

Hecatia's theme is really long, like "spans the entire fight" long.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CommissarMega posted:

It's a little too low-key for my tastes; yeah the opening is perfect, but then it gets kind of mellow. Then again, I was expecting another Hartmann's Youkai Girl or the like, so maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Mind you, that soft, otherworldly theme seems to be the 'thing' for LoLK's music. Just take a listen to Junko's stage theme. The Extra stage's theme is also bass-heavy, and just take a listen to Hecatia's theme. They might be your thing, but I can't say I'm a fan of the music this time around, save maybe for Junko's theme.

EDIT 2: Okay, and maybe both Kishin's stage theme and her boss theme.

It's a "thing" because you're FLYING THROUGH SPACE GOING TO THE MOON AND THEN BEATING UP SATAN FOR BEING INVOLVED

poo poo has escalated. "Hm let's go visit this mansion. Alright let's go into the spooky dimension, that's kind of an outlier okay?! Alright back to normal let's wander through town and then woods. Okay, up this mountain I mean it's teaming with yokai but they're human-friendly yokai mostly so lol. Let's dash underground to go to PARTY CITY, yeah! Mm, we'll be pirates today! Somethingsomething spooky town I never really played through TD my B."

"ALRIGHT LET'S CHOKESLAM SATAN FROM THE MOON"

It's kinda otherworldly!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
LoLK has a really good soundtrack, if only for the stage 2 theme which is very good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's a "thing" because you're FLYING THROUGH SPACE GOING TO THE MOON AND THEN BEATING UP SATAN FOR BEING INVOLVED

poo poo has escalated. "Hm let's go visit this mansion. Alright let's go into the spooky dimension, that's kind of an outlier okay?! Alright back to normal let's wander through town and then woods. Okay, up this mountain I mean it's teaming with yokai but they're human-friendly yokai mostly so lol. Let's dash underground to go to PARTY CITY, yeah! Mm, we'll be pirates today! Somethingsomething spooky town I never really played through TD my B."

"ALRIGHT LET'S CHOKESLAM SATAN FROM THE MOON"

It's kinda otherworldly!

EoSD: Reimu beats up a little girl for wanting to dim the lights a bit.
PCB: Reimu beats up a ghost for wanting to watch see a tree blooming.
IN: Reimu beats up war refugees for hiding.
PoFV: The judge of the damned tells Reimu that she's hosed up and then Reimu beats her up.
MoF: Reimu beats up her direct competitors for simply existing.
SA: Reimu beats up a bird and a cat for eating something they shouldn't.
UFO: Reimu beats up more religious competition because they have a cool house.
TD: Reimu beats up yet more religious competition for simply existing.
DDC: Reimu beats up a small person for giving her stick cool powers.
LoLK: Reimu beats up Literal Moon Satan because gently caress having to deal with those war refugees again.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So Clownpiece's spell with the scrolling horizontal lasers is legitimately really hard, right? I'm not just incompetent, right? :ohdear:
It took me 91 tries. Usually I would have given the gently caress up by now but the wonders of Pointdevice mode...

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Freak Futanari posted:

LoLK has a really good soundtrack, if only for the stage 2 theme which is very good.

This is the truth, but it's all good really, there aren't any real bad Touhou themes from the mainline games.

Clowpiece's theme is a wonderful departure from we usually hear and I like it even if I'm not the biggest fan of the weird sawtooth synth thing as the main instrument.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Redmark posted:

So Clownpiece's spell with the scrolling horizontal lasers is legitimately really hard, right? I'm not just incompetent, right? :ohdear:
It took me 91 tries. Usually I would have given the gently caress up by now but the wonders of Pointdevice mode...
Pointdevice mode is super-cool and a worthy addition to the series but Christ it's totally enabling me in a 'just one more goddamn try and I'll nail this bitch' kinda way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Space Flower posted:

I'm a big fan of ZUN easing off those synth guitars.

Hecatia's theme is really long, like "spans the entire fight" long.
I like the idea behind it. It has these separate, very distinct melodies that play one after the other and then after looping once it ends in one big climax that mixes them all. I love it when a character concept even influences their themes.