Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrFlibble posted:

If there are infinite - then there are an infinite number of Rick and Morty who do that and an infinite number of them that don't, all with slight variations . That's kind of what the word infinite means.

Right. So even if Rick and Morty in one episode are virtually indistinguishable from the Rick and Morty in a different episode (including sharing the exact same experiences), they may not be the same Rick and Morty as we would define it in our limited understanding of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Beth getting the shakes super bad while pouring a huge glass of wine is gonna stick with me as one of the darkest, funniest things I've ever seen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What a downer. The two people who understand Jerry don't exist and the family has destroyed their friendship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

Not everyone!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I just noticed the green rocks Rick dumps in the trash at the start of Episode 4, are the ones he picks up at the end of Episode 2 while he's loading up the car (after Morty shoots Fart).

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

They must be playing some sort of long-con with Mr. Poopy Butthole.

He was the one who got them all to remember Cousin Nicky (who really is just walkin' here)...right? drat it what's going on?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Manket posted:

He was the one who got them all to remember Cousin Nicky (who really is just walkin' here)...right? drat it what's going on?

He caught the parasite first.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Manket posted:

Pretty sure him getting shot (and the after credit scene) are fake memories, remember it's not that the parasites can't make bad memories, it's that they can't give you a negative impression of themselves.

Alternatively, he's real and we're pointlessly sperging out over a loving joke.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
He's real because it's funny

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's good to see the move away from the Kevin James Fat-Idiot-Smart-Wife dynamic, instead it's a show where everyone is kind of messed up, like It's Always Sunny.

Pick posted:

Not everyone!

I'm excluding people who eat poo poo.

It must be insane designing over a hundred characters who only appear for the one episode, unless these fake friends are based on the memories of real people, which means there's a photographer raptor somewhere out in the cosmos.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 17, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This little poopy pants is huuuuungry. Is..something wrong, beth?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Summer needs to stop peeing her pants.

It's that or we all get pink eye.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It must be insane designing over a hundred characters who only appear for the one episode,

Its not that hard when one guy is Braveheart and another is the talking armoire from Beauty and the Beast combined with Mammy from the Tom and Jerry cartoons.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Apparently Mr. Poopy Butthole was in a Rick and Morty jigsaw puzzle that was in a Loot Crate a few months ago, thus reinforcing the joke.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

holy hell that was god damned fantastic

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

What a downer. The two people who understand Jerry don't exist and the family has destroyed their friendship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

I think you mean Beth destroyed the relationship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"I'm comfortable being called a Nazi. You really think there is some other word that will hurt my feelings?! Ya, think before you talk poo poo." is probably my favourite line.

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

slagmatic posted:

I loved the shoutout to 90's Conan, the completely arbitrary characters were one of my favorite bits they used to do. Here's a link for you youngin's who probably don't know what I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsvO0KSh20

Long live Coked Up Werewolf.

And I just realized that the second character they showed was played by starburns, aka Dino Stamatopoulos, who is also a part of Dan Harmon's production company...
Hmm...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hcreight posted:

Apparently Mr. Poopy Butthole was in a Rick and Morty jigsaw puzzle that was in a Loot Crate a few months ago, thus reinforcing the joke.

Good God the people behind this show are geniuses.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
What I want more than anything is for reruns of Season 1 to have Mr. Poopybutthole in the background doing something innocuous.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My favourite character is the bear in the white jacket who gave Beth a kidney.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the opening, Mr. Poopybutthole shows up in clips of potential episodes that haven't happened yet. But now, thanks to Beth he won't be in them :psyduck:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Applewhite posted:

In the opening, Mr. Poopybutthole shows up in clips of potential episodes that haven't happened yet. But now, thanks to Beth he won't be in them :psyduck:

You don't know! His PT is going just great! :qq:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
AIDS!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

I just noticed the green rocks Rick dumps in the trash at the start of Episode 4, are the ones he picks up at the end of Episode 2 while he's loading up the car (after Morty shoots Fart).

Is it just me, or are they screaming as he throws them away?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

tarlibone posted:

I heard that too

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Applewhite posted:

He was in the opening pillow fight scene but not in that scene itself during the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tarlibone posted:

"Yeaaaaaah! Awesome!"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Also just got to the ending, holy poo poo that was DARK

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

tarlibone posted:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I heard that too

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Yeaaaaaah! Awesome!"
This has come up so many times, I wonder if it was just a really bad sound mixing decision or Spencer Grammer doing a weird voice. But as has been pointed out before, it was Summer. I watched it with the captions and they confirmed it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I heard that too

I just re-watched that scene, and I think it's an inexplicably muffled squeal followed by "Awesome!" from Summer.

As for Mr. Poopy Butthole, I think he's a parasite. And in true Dan Harmon Meta form, I think that the flashback that enshrines Mr. Poopy Butthole into everyone's memory is... the opening credits sequence. Think about it. That's a series of scenes that we've all seen a few times by now, but now they are clearly different because they include Mr. Poopy Butthole. The other flashback he causes is the one in the elevator after the Hulk musical. The flashbacks with Rick all have one thing in common, other than wacky new characters: they feature Rick in situations he'd never, ever be in. Rick isn't going to fall in love with barbecuing. And, he's not going to watch a Hulk musical with his family.

As for the last part where he's supposedly real... c'mon. He is only ever referred to as Mister Poopy Butthole, honorific and all. He's clearly not human and nobody's even batting an eye, just like many of the parasites that were killed. It's most likely itself a fake memory and part of a long-con, as some have suggested. It may never even come up again, or it might be dealt with at the beginning of the next episode.

Of course, it could be a simple (Warning! TV Tropes link! Click only if you have a few hours!) Rule of Funny. I'm not saying Harmon and crew are above something like that, but this show is a little bit more strict with continuity than most shows that would do something like this just for laughs (like Aqua Teen Hunger Force).

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
As soon as I saw Mr. Poopy Butthole in the opening credits I knew this was going to be the best episode of all time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mr. Poopy Butthole is real. It's not even ambiguous.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Order your season 1 Rick & Morty Remastered Mr. Poopy Butthole editions today!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Wait wait, how did the parasites keep coming if you kill them all they stopped reproducing? They shot Uncle Steve, and then the Cousin pops up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

I just re-watched that scene, and I think it's an inexplicably muffled squeal followed by "Awesome!" from Summer.

As for Mr. Poopy Butthole, I think he's a parasite. And in true Dan Harmon Meta form, I think that the flashback that enshrines Mr. Poopy Butthole into everyone's memory is... the opening credits sequence. Think about it. That's a series of scenes that we've all seen a few times by now, but now they are clearly different because they include Mr. Poopy Butthole. The other flashback he causes is the one in the elevator after the Hulk musical. The flashbacks with Rick all have one thing in common, other than wacky new characters: they feature Rick in situations he'd never, ever be in. Rick isn't going to fall in love with barbecuing. And, he's not going to watch a Hulk musical with his family.

As for the last part where he's supposedly real... c'mon. He is only ever referred to as Mister Poopy Butthole, honorific and all. He's clearly not human and nobody's even batting an eye, just like many of the parasites that were killed. It's most likely itself a fake memory and part of a long-con, as some have suggested. It may never even come up again, or it might be dealt with at the beginning of the next episode.

Of course, it could be a simple (Warning! TV Tropes link! Click only if you have a few hours!) Rule of Funny. I'm not saying Harmon and crew are above something like that, but this show is a little bit more strict with continuity than most shows that would do something like this just for laughs (like Aqua Teen Hunger Force).

The elevator memory was an UNpleasant memory. A subtle clue that he is not a parasite.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, Rick's objections aside, I totally believe the Nintendo DS incident actually happened.

E: as evidence, I point to the fact that it's the only flashback not to introduce new characters.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 17, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wait wait, how did the parasites keep coming if you kill them all they stopped reproducing? They shot Uncle Steve, and then the Cousin pops up

They were hiding in the house already.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Mr. Poopybutthole tracked the parasite in. He's… kind of notoriously messy in the bathroom.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Applewhite posted:

They were hiding in the house already.

How do I know if you're real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How do I know if you're real?

My regdate.