Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Those wannabes need to put their drat knees down. Kenny Roberts they ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 15, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Him (assuming it's the same guy) passing the car on the downhill over the double yellow and almost going headlong into an oncoming car on a blind corner was a whole lot dumber than taking up the road while climbing. Yeah you can go faster than cars through the corners but holy poo poo don't pass them on into oncoming traffic like that

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When I am on a narrow road and hear a car coming up behind me, but there is oncoming traffic and no space for me, an oncoming car, and a passing car at the same time, I will move farther out into the lane to discourage passing.

One time I did that and the car behind me was kids in a bro truck who still went by, almost hit me, almost hit the oncoming car, and the passenger in the truck reached out and tried to knock me off my bike.

Oh, and if you're upset about bicycles on mulholland, watch some of that guy's other videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU_lYBHpY

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It is not legal to pass bicyclists in the same lane here but oh man am I ever tempted every time I'm in the Miata. Lanes here are so wide I could pass myself.

Today I passed a guy who was riding on the shoulder between my lane and a Jersey barrier protecting a marked and unobstructed bike lane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It is not legal to pass bicyclists in the same lane here but oh man am I ever tempted every time I'm in the Miata. Lanes here are so wide I could pass myself.

Today I passed a guy who was riding on the shoulder between my lane and a Jersey barrier protecting a marked and unobstructed bike lane.

FYI, if it is safe to pass 99% of cyclists would prefer you pass them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

FYI, if it is safe to pass 99% of cyclists would prefer you pass them.

Oh, absolutely. I just mean you have to change lanes here and give the cyclist the entire lane. You can't be like "oh I'll just come to the left side of the lane and swing my mirror at them."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't even need the whole lane. Just more than "barely missing me." If there isn't space for two cars and a bike, don't go by. Not sure what it is about being in a car where a slight inconvenience drives people to murder.

Also, it is legal to cross the yellow in many cases. In my state, you can cross a double yellow for bicycles and other slow moving traffic etc. I mean, what if a car is broken down, or changing a tire. You don't just stop behind it, because "oh no! can't cross the yellow line."

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Why are you tailgating me Mr Stanced Civic, my poor MG can't go much faster :saddowns:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Had a car pull out in front of me on a 2 lane road (no shoulder) with a 55 mph speed limit. I had to dodge into the turning lane (thank gently caress there was one there, otherwise it would have been hitting a ditch at about 50 or hitting someone head on).

You see two cars in front of me in it, once they turn I gun it trying to get up to the speed limit (we were busy as gently caress today, so every second counted). I was up to about 45 or so when they pulled out, and as soon as I saw them starting to move I started flashing my high beams to get their attention, figuring they'd see me. Nope.

loving idiot.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

I am in favor of laws that would allow you to cross the double yellow to pass a cyclist, but that law does not appear to exist here.

Isn't it legal to pass "obstructions" such as breakdowns and garbage trucks? I remember being taught in driver's ed that we could do so. What's the difference between a garbage truck going 5mph and a bicycle going 5mph?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

Isn't it legal to pass "obstructions" such as breakdowns and garbage trucks? I remember being taught in driver's ed that we could do so. What's the difference between a garbage truck going 5mph and a bicycle going 5mph?
Not in California.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hm. Must just be on non-yellow-line-having residential streets that you can do that. :shrug:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Some of the roads in Rhode Island are terrible for getting stuck behind a cyclist too. Very narrow with curves and hills that preclude safe passing. Of course the speed limits are infuriatingly low too, so you really can't go much faster than a somewhat fit guy on a road bike.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I read in this thread about someone following some bicyclists up a hill and either can't or won't cross the double yellow line to pass and creates a huge line of traffic. none recall this video?

Wasn't a hill, but this one made the news 2 years ago and the guy got ticketed because it is perfectly legal to cross the double yellow when passing bikes here in CO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM5QiAd3QA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LloydDobler posted:

Wasn't a hill, but this one made the news 2 years ago and the guy got ticketed because it is perfectly legal to cross the double yellow when passing bikes here in CO.

Was the ticket for being a loving asshat?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

Was the ticket for being a loving asshat?

The world would be a better place if "driving like a complete oval office" was a moving violation.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PT6A posted:

The world would be a better place if "driving like a complete oval office" was a moving violation.

It is almost always a violation of some law or other, but since they tend to be more subjective laws that are more difficult and costly to convict than speeding tickets and the like, enforcing them isn't profitable enough, so most people get away with it unless it's really egregious or a cop wants to use it as a probable cause for a stop.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
e: i didn't click "quote" or "post reply" what the gently caress chrome.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyHM5fG5Kx8

Raaaaaage.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That's no man, that's a 6' walking rear end in a top hat.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The Vantage made him seethingly jealous, but what really pushed him over the edge was seeing the owner exit the vehicle and take a $1200 stroller out of the trunk.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus gently caress. I don't like the bicyclists that run stop signs in front of me, but you know what is way more dangerous? When cars do it.
Today loving twice I've almost been creamed at two-way stop signs (aka, side road has stop sign, main road has ROW) by people who seemed to think that pulling out in front of a cyclist doing 20 mph is a smart thing to do. I'm not loving invisible, I'm a 6'4" fat man wearing a very bright shirt -- I'm pretty sure they see me and think I'm going slow or something.
They're lucky I predict this stuff and prepare to slow or they'd have a fat person size dent in their door and a lawsuit with the sole point of bankrupting their stupid asses. (Also many broken bones for me).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On my motorcycle this evening, put my turn signal on and prepare to pass a minivan doing 25 in a 35. Proceed to begin the pass, get about even with their sliding door (Only took it up to 35 so I was passing quick-ish but not flying past them), and suddenly they realize they need to get into the left lane to make a left turn, without a signal, and just jerk into the lane with me, notice me, and lay on their horn for the next ten seconds as I complete my pass at the very edge of my lane and continue on, them just sitting there at their turn continuing to honk.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PCOS Bill posted:

On my motorcycle this evening, put my turn signal on and prepare to pass a minivan doing 25 in a 35. Proceed to begin the pass, get about even with their sliding door (Only took it up to 35 so I was passing quick-ish but not flying past them), and suddenly they realize they need to get into the left lane to make a left turn, without a signal, and just jerk into the lane with me, notice me, and lay on their horn for the next ten seconds as I complete my pass at the very edge of my lane and continue on, them just sitting there at their turn continuing to honk.

And this right here is what's keeping me from trying a motorcycle. I know I would absolutely love it, but I'm too afraid of being killed by idiots not paying attention in cars.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

"If murder was legal..I mighta killed a few people.." Louis CK

A few years ago I was merging on to a three lane road. There's a left lane and center lane that came over a bridge, and right lane that comes in separate from the right. They all meet at a light. I'm coming along on the right at speed, and the left and center lanes are slowly moving away from the light that just changed. I see a minivan in the center lane, with a gap in front and behind, and debate where I'm going to try and merge, because my lane ends in like 1/4 mile. The van starts slowing, shrinking the gap behind them, so I give it some gas and plan on merging in front. As I'm coming up on the van, it cuts right in front of me doing a full on right turn from the center lane. Choice quotes that followed:

"Didn't you see me? I had my blinker on."
"No, I was in the right lane."
"I know I was in the right lane because I was looking for the dentist on the right and my GPS said turn right."

I ended up driving all the way down the right side of her van, as we both ended up turning/crashing into a gas station entrance. Cop comes, she says she was in the right lane..coming over the bridge in the middle (right at the time), and not merging prior, she was in the right lane. Cop says "you couldn't have been, or he would have taken out those light posts on the shoulder." Cop does really nice drawings on the report and Geico pays for my damages. Got a dash cam now though anyway.

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.
If your car breaks down on the freeway, sit tight and wait for AAA. We're all sharing the road with inattentive drivers, and the worst can happen to the best of us. A Camry slammed into the Batmobile and killed the nicest guy in Maryland... http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...43d3_story.html

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Dr. Jamming posted:

If your car breaks down on the freeway, sit tight and wait for AAA. We're all sharing the road with inattentive drivers, and the worst can happen to the best of us. A Camry slammed into the Batmobile and killed the nicest guy in Maryland... http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...43d3_story.html

Judging from that story, sit tight on the other side of the freeway guardrail away from your vehicle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

nm posted:

Jesus gently caress. I don't like the bicyclists that run stop signs in front of me, but you know what is way more dangerous? When cars do it.
Today loving twice I've almost been creamed at two-way stop signs (aka, side road has stop sign, main road has ROW) by people who seemed to think that pulling out in front of a cyclist doing 20 mph is a smart thing to do. I'm not loving invisible, I'm a 6'4" fat man wearing a very bright shirt -- I'm pretty sure they see me and think I'm going slow or something.
They're lucky I predict this stuff and prepare to slow or they'd have a fat person size dent in their door and a lawsuit with the sole point of bankrupting their stupid asses. (Also many broken bones for me).

A friend of mine got destroyed on a roundabout last week. He was going around it when a driver looked at him, pulled out anyway without realising how fast he was going and he went straight into the side of the car and over the back. Broke his left wrist and a rib on the right.

Best bit? The police said it was his fault as the roundabout has poor visibility! gently caress actually obeying traffic rules like giving way to whatever has right of way!

I've been hit once and had so many near misses because people don't pay attention. You have to be so vigilant about other road users you could probably class it as a super power.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Some old gently caress in an Opel Mokka seemed to have a real loving need to either tailgate me or cut me off.

Honking the horn when the oval office merges into my right fender, no response.
Flashing the high beams when he really insisted on pushing me into the drive axles of a Scania R600, no response.

What did get a response? Moving up next to him and sticking my hand out the window to flip him off.
That got gramps really loving pissed. Let's ride a metre from someone's rear bumper and make aggressive gestures if they slow down a few kph to let an HGV merge.

Thankfully the karma police was on duty as the old loving oval office swerved in between two lorries to make the exit and rear ended a garbage truck.

Old gently caress, I have one piece of advice for you, hand in your license. Sell your ugly fake Renault Captur, and take the train from now on. You are too demented to participate in traffic. Full stop.

I was going to ask for router bits for my birthday next month, but I think I might ask for a dashcam instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr. Jamming posted:

Thank christ it wasn't a real Batmobile.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm driving back from grabbing some lunch and myself and one car in front of me pull up to a red light. After sitting at the red light for about 10 seconds the woman in front of me apparently decided that it no longer applied to her and just drove right through it. About 10 seconds later the light changed and I caught up with her before the next light.

Why?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raluek posted:

Dude owned a 'real' Batmobile...

quote:

He spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, his brother said, on his ’60s-style Batmobile, a costume that seemed more real than those in the movies, and the trinkets he handed out to children, always autographed “Batman.”

:/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

88h88 posted:

Dude owned a 'real' Batmobile...

Oh no! From skimming the article, it does sound like that was the one that got hit. At least it wasn't a real movie/show car; sounds like he built it as a replica.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Red? Amber? What are these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIATWN3OvY

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raluek posted:

Oh no! From skimming the article, it does sound like that was the one that got hit. At least it wasn't a real movie/show car; sounds like he built it as a replica.

It was a replica but not just an ordinary one!

http://jalopnik.com/5927537/lamborghini-batmans-new-batmobile-is-not-a-lambo

quote:

Robinson's new Batreplica — aka "Anti Crime Roadster," in copyright-free parlance — was built from the ground up, with no donor car. It has a urethane bodyshell, worked Ford V8 and a Ford C6 transmission. It's also got period-correct on-board props like a Bat-radarscope, bat-wing steering wheel and lots of other such paraphernalia, just like the original. Pro-touring hardware wizards Craig and Art Morrison created the chassis.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

Thankfully the karma police was on duty as the old loving oval office swerved in between two lorries to make the exit and rear ended a garbage truck.

This is excellent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

Raluek posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My husband and I were driving on a highway during a very intense rainstorm (people had mostly dropped down to 40mph on a stretch that is usually 80+ yay Massachusetts!).

Very low visibility and we are in the right lane about 2 miles from a major exit, when we realize there is a minivan just stopped in the lane ahead. Thankfully we stopped in time, but close behind them. We watch as the passenger gets out of the van and checks out the rear wheel on her side (it looked fine from our angle). Gets back in the van. Gets back out and checks it again. No hazards going, just a left turn signal.

I assume they had hydro locked or had otherwise broken down and couldn't get it to the shoulder but goddamn don't get out of your car in poo poo visibility on an interstate, and put your hazards on. They were lucky we were paying attention or we would've wrecked them with our loaded up U-Haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Cakefool posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Maybe he doesn't realize, from skimming the article, that Batman was killed.