Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

And I can start deploying apps from Visual Studio to my actual device again.

Technically it was always possible to do this by lying in your appxmanifest and hoping for the best:
code:
.vbproj/.csproj:
    <AppxOSMinVersionReplaceManifestVersion>false</AppxOSMinVersionReplaceManifestVersion>
    <AppxOSMaxVersionTestedReplaceManifestVersion>false</AppxOSMaxVersionTestedReplaceManifestVersion>

package.appxmanifest:
    <TargetDeviceFamily ... MinVersion="10.0.10166.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.10240.0" />
Without the two lines in your .vbproj/.csproj, the versions you write in your .appxmanifest would be overwritten in the final AppxManifest.xml. It's up to you what you pick. If you pick a low MinVersion and your app happens to work on your actual device -- congratulations you were lucky but you'd be a fool to deploy it to the store like this! If your app happens not to work for whatever reason, oh well, you knew it was a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

I had to put it on top of an AC unit, because if I didn't it would crap out half way through it forcing me to hard reset.

This is the only way to update to WP10...:v:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

hotsauce posted:

This is the only way to update to WP10...:v:

*judging you on the contents of your fridge*

also: fish dicks!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mr Funkface posted:

*judging you on the contents of your fridge*

also: fish dicks!

Don't judge. Frozen breaded fish is delicious.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So apparently the soft reset I did not only failed to fix the FB app, it also broke something else. Cortana/search now consistently fails to connect, even though IE works fine, and I have WiFi/data. The clock no longer auto-updates. Twitter will no longer load new tweets. WordsWithFriends has forgotten who I am entirely.

:sigh:

edit: cannot download apps from the store, either.

edit2: Yeah. I'm dumb. Apparently, it reset the date to 2014, and this killed a bunch of stuff. The date/time, it seems, is still refusing to update.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 13, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Upgraded, uninstalled the Awful app, reinstalled and got the error below. :( On the previous build it insisted that it couldn't install the app but was fine running it by selecting it through the Store; now it downloads, installs then decides it can't find the app.

A possible fix on desktop for that error code appears to be clearing the Store cache, but I have no idea how you'd go about doing that on phone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
An article from tomorrow. Anything new here?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/alleged-microsoft-surface-phone-specifications-leaked-489387.shtml

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is certainly the first I'm hearing of this:

quote:

Needless to say, Microsoft will launch the device with Windows 10 Mobile, but there were some rumors that the company was also trying to make it possible for the phone to run Win32 apps. This way, the “productivity on the go” concept would be pushed to a completely new level, but there are obviously lots of factors that need to be considered, including battery life.

Yeah they're apparently discussing letting full desktop software run on the phone :eyepop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If it's an x86 phone, why not? If they're going to allow it, it'll probably restricted to Continuum mode, because then you have a decent display attached.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would buy a Surface phone so loving hard.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That phone will probably be dense enough to stop small pistol rounds. Even with a pen I don't think I need or want x86 in my pocket given the low number of apps I actually use daily.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I wouldn't "normally" either, but for those one-off, need-this-right-now things, yea, it'd be sweet. Especially if Continuum is half as nice as it looks.

I'm also imagining a couple of accessories like the old Motorola Atrix (I think?) had. A small netbook-sized clamshell that's nothing but keyboard, battery, and screen? Yes please. A moderately-sized tablet thing? In the bag. Simple dock for my desktop? One for home, one for the office.

The first-gen unit may not be there, but it's a very easy extrapolation. Especially if they keep the angles from the Surface line, that's one sexy dovetail for expansion.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I wouldn't "normally" either, but for those one-off, need-this-right-now things, yea, it'd be sweet. Especially if Continuum is half as nice as it looks.

I'm also imagining a couple of accessories like the old Motorola Atrix (I think?) had. A small netbook-sized clamshell that's nothing but keyboard, battery, and screen? Yes please. A moderately-sized tablet thing? In the bag. Simple dock for my desktop? One for home, one for the office.

The first-gen unit may not be there, but it's a very easy extrapolation. Especially if they keep the angles from the Surface line, that's one sexy dovetail for expansion.

One problem with a dumb tablet and notebook shell is making it cheap with good build quality. The Atrix and the Asus PadFones failed on either count with the former's lapdock costing $500 ($300 after rebates which is still a lot) and the latter being cumbersome to use in tablet mode. Both also suffered from janky software that Motorola and Asus developed (instead of Google) that tried to capitalize on that feature.

I doubt Microsoft would fair any better with those types of accessories for a Surface phone. Their accessories for the Surface tablets are pretty pricey already with the keyboard cover costing $130 and the docking station costing $200. You could get a decent cheap Windows tablet for around $150 though it would be inferior to the Surface phone's alleged specs.

The biggest issue I think its that is having to carry a relatively large device that is useless without another device. If you're already carrying something that large, you could have brought a functioning tablet or laptop instead at a slight increase in weight.

I think a better solution instead is screen mirroring from a phone to a tablet or laptop. It's too bad that Miracast is hit or miss in quality and you have to buy a third-party program to turn a computer with a compatible wireless device into a Miracast receiver. I actually did try that program to mirror the screen of my 640XL to my Surface 3. Touch commands worked nicely but it didn't work very well with streaming video.

Maybe Microsoft could utilize the technology behind the Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming. Especially if it can be made to work over a USB3 and/or USB-C connection to improve bandwidth, reduce latency, and save power. I also thought that being able to sync app states between devices so that you could immediate transfer what you saw and were doing from one device to another would be neat. Then I thought that it could pose a technical and security issue especially for non-Windows Store apps.

I could also see this running afoul with wireless carriers with unlimited data plans though I suppose it already has in some ways. Back when the Atrix was announced, I remembered that the using keyboard dock and laptop OS required a tethering plan which cost extra back then and probably killed any further interest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Edward IV posted:

I doubt Microsoft would fair any better with those types of accessories for a Surface phone. Their accessories for the Surface tablets are pretty pricey already with the keyboard cover costing $130 and the docking station costing $200. You could get a decent cheap Windows tablet for around $150 though it would be inferior to the Surface phone's alleged specs.

There's also the problem of your dumb accessories not working on newer devices. You see this at Microsoft and their type/touch covers not working on the different Surfaces. Asus had that problem with their Transformer tablets. It sucks paying $130 for a keyboard. It sucks more paying $130 for a keyboard that is obsolete in two years.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

All the surface keyboards are compatible going forward (so type cover 2 works with the SP3 for example), they're just different sizes so it's of limited utility if you want an actual cover.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

All the surface keyboards are compatible going forward (so type cover 2 works with the SP3 for example), they're just different sizes so it's of limited utility if you want an actual cover.

Yup. I sold it but my original Surface RT keyboard worked just fine with my Surface 3.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Looking into the rumoured Surface phone specs further, I don't think they're completely legitimate. In particular, the Atom x3 chipset doesn't fit as it's a low-end SoC meant for budget phones and tablets. Especially damning is that the x3 has a maximum resolution output of 1280x800, maximum memory of 2 GB, supports up to a 13 MP and 5 MP rear and front camera respectively, and only supports USB 2.0.
http://ark.intel.com/products/87460/Intel-Atom-x3-C3445-Processor-1M-Cache-up-to-1_40-GHz
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-x3-c3000-brief.html

Not that that is a bad thing if Microsoft is also planning a cheap low end model. However, it doesn't match up to the purported 2560x1440 screen, 3 GB and 4 GB of RAM, and a 21 MP and 8 MP camera. For those specs, they're going to need at least an x5 though all the advertising seems to indicate that the x5 and x7 are for tablets, not phones.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 18, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

Looking into the rumoured Surface phone specs further, I don't think they're completely legitimate. In particular, the Atom x3 chipset doesn't fit as it's a low-end SoC meant for budget phones and tablets. Especially damning is that the x3 has a maximum resolution output of 1280x800, maximum memory of 2 GB, supports up to a 13 MP and 5 MP rear and front camera respectively, and only supports USB 2.0.
http://ark.intel.com/products/87460/Intel-Atom-x3-C3445-Processor-1M-Cache-up-to-1_40-GHz

Not that that is a bad thing if Microsoft is also planning a cheap low end model. However, it doesn't match up to the purported 2560x1440 screen, 3 GB and 4 GB of RAM, and a 21 MP and 8 MP camera. For those specs, they're going to need at least an x5 though all the advertising seems to indicate that the x5 and x7 are for tablets, not phones.

Yeah, windowscentral has basically said "there's a reason we aren't running that story":

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/3h9lf5/purported_full_specs_of_surface_mobile_phone/cu5mjzb

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/633640605860659200

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been trying for a while now to move some videos/music from my Lumia 1020 over to my newly upgraded Win10 laptop, but it's not even recognizing that the phone is connected. Is this a known issue with WP8.1 devices or have I hosed up somewhere?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Yeah the first comment here http://wmpoweruser.com/purported-full-specs-of-surface-mobile-phone-juggernaut-alpha-leak/ says pretty much exactly that.

I dunno, it came up in my MSN News app I thought I'd share. Bad fact checking on my part.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 18, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Alternative pants posted:

I've been trying for a while now to move some videos/music from my Lumia 1020 over to my newly upgraded Win10 laptop, but it's not even recognizing that the phone is connected. Is this a known issue with WP8.1 devices or have I hosed up somewhere?

This might be a stupid question but did you punch your PIN into your phone?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WorldWarWonderful posted:

This might be a stupid question but did you punch your PIN into your phone?

Yeah. It turns out the Micro USB is toast. Just filing a claim through Asurion and getting (most likely) a 640 XL expressed out.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I found a used M8 for a decent price. I like the look of the phone but i have a few questions before i pull the trigger on it.

1. Is it going to be supported with all the bells and whistles of WP10 past the initial update?

2. Does the lack of camera button negativity affect the phone?

3. Will it be able to do the HCE tap to pay with WP10?

Edit: General WP question: will any of the current phones be able to use the new tap to pay or does that need new hardware?

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

I found a used M8 for a decent price. I like the look of the phone but i have a few questions before i pull the trigger on it.

1. Is it going to be supported with all the bells and whistles of WP10 past the initial update?

2. Does the lack of camera button negativity affect the phone?

3. Will it be able to do the HCE tap to pay with WP10?

Edit: General WP question: will any of the current phones be able to use the new tap to pay or does that need new hardware?

The M8 will support Windows 10, and is in the insider preview. So you should be able to use it now if you really want to.

The lack of a camera button does not really affect it. The camera itself though is total poo poo. The only redeeming factor of it, IMO, is that it's okay in low light. Otherwise, it's low resolution, usually blurry, garbage :(.

I have no idea about the tap to pay stuff on Windows. So maybe? Maybe not? :shrug:. As long as it has NFC then there should be a chance of it working I guess.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

The lack of a camera button does not really affect it. The camera itself though is total poo poo. The only redeeming factor of it, IMO, is that it's okay in low light. Otherwise, it's low resolution, usually blurry, garbage :(.

I'm finding the lack of hardware buttons on the 640 to be quite irritating. Having to swipe up to bring up the navigation controls, or swipe down the action centre to bring up the launch camera shortcut is dumb compared with the 920/1520 - both these have shortcuts to camera by pressing the camera buttons and always there navigation.

Having said that I'm going to hunt for a toggle to permanent the navigation buttons. Does this exist?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I got yesterday my 640 XL and I have to say that I'm impressed with it. It should be on par with my 925 on performance but the Snapdragon 400 does a better job than the Snapdragon S4 plus when it comes to multitasking (quad vs dual). Battery life is fantastic as I've been hammering it since 9:00am (fully charged since 7:00), it's 18:36 and after a 40min call, lots of messaging through whatsapp, some SA browsing using the app and 8-10 mins watching youtube videos, the champ still has 72% battery left. The only downside is the 8gb storage that leaves you with 3.4Gb free before you install all the apps you need. I traded some space because I uninstalled a bunch so with pics, Here maps (with some maps stored on the microSD) I still have 2.31gb free.

My biggest concern is the change of size, going from 4.5" to 5.7" is a big step and I have to get used to swipe with this one when typing since I'm left handed and the far right letters are kinda hard for me to reach but can do it. Is very light, feels great at hand and doesn't feel cheap. I got it for 199€ but I sold my Galaxy S4 a few weeks ago for 150€ so 49€ is like a steal. My version is Dual SIM LTE, glossy white (only matte black and glossy white are available in Spain, anything else is imported from France or Germany). Fortunately Aliexpress sells the original back covers with Microsoft logo and black buttons for like 4€ each (and has shitloads of positive feedback). In fact I ordered black, orange and blue (all matte) and a transparent gel case so everyone can say -Hey look at that weird guy with that weird phone, is that a... Microsoft? What the gently caress is that, he still used a Nokia a few days ago, what a nerd.

For the price and considering that I'm still an android guy (still own another android phone and two android tablets), this hugephone is really cool. The screen could use 1080p but for internet browsing, some video playing and the decent to good camera (waaaaay better than any android one on that price range) makes for a great device imo.

The funny thing is that the 640 (5" one) is selling well on both Orange and Vodafone for 5€/month with a 24 month contract but you can't find the 640XL under contract at all.

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm finding the lack of hardware buttons on the 640 to be quite irritating. Having to swipe up to bring up the navigation controls, or swipe down the action centre to bring up the launch camera shortcut is dumb compared with the 920/1520 - both these have shortcuts to camera by pressing the camera buttons and always there navigation.

Having said that I'm going to hunt for a toggle to permanent the navigation buttons. Does this exist?

It's right on Imput+accesibility > Navigation Bar > Auto hide/show the Nav bar ON/OFF. As easy as that. You can customize it's color to dark, match background or match accent color. Swipe to hide ON/OFF, and allow to double tap on the Nav bar to turn off the screen. It is actually more versatile than capacitive buttons.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

It's right on Imput+accesibility > Navigation Bar > Auto hide/show the Nav bar ON/OFF. As easy as that. You can customize it's color to dark, match background or match accent color. Swipe to hide ON/OFF, and allow to double tap on the Nav bar to turn off the screen. It is actually more versatile than capacitive buttons.

I really hate the way this is handled in whatever crazy version of WP8 that is on the 640, it's probably my biggest annoyance. Hopefully it works somehow differently in 10. :(

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Is there any advantage to a 640XL over a 1520 other than not having to buy the phone outright with AT&T next?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hey, thread. Riddle me this: I have a desktop PC, a Lumia 930, a Nexus 4, and now a shiny new SP3. I want to import my bookmarks and passwords from Chrome (on the desktop) to IE (on the tablet). Is there any way I can make this happen, either directly or going via one or both phones? I tried to use some app, designed specifically to do just that, to get them to my Lumia, on the assumption these would then sync to my SP3 (Chrync, I think it was called?) but that app seems to be broken now and no longer connects to Google's servers (and, in fact, seems to have been removed from the app store since yesterday). Anyone know of an alternative, or a way of finagling it? I really don't want to have to add favourites and login details manually. It will take ages!

e; I can import bookmarks to IE on my desktop fine, but there doesn't seem to be a way to import passwords.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How is IE and Chrome's security in saving passwords? I know Chrome had problems with them being saved as plain text a couple years ago, but not if that got fixed. I'd look into using LastPass (at $12/year) or setting up KeyPass (free) and using those. They both have Windows, Android, and Windows Phone support.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Aha, didn't think of that. I'll look into them. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing it otherwise, which rather blows my mind. It looks as though you're right about Chrome's password storage anyway though, so it's probably a sensible move. Cheers.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

wookieepelt posted:

Is there any advantage to a 640XL over a 1520 other than not having to buy the phone outright with AT&T next?

Guaranteed warranty support. No widespread issues with the 640 XL as far I know unlike the 1520 phantom touch / screen sensitivity issue (some say this is from the phone flexing in a pocket, due to its slim profile, which is mitigated by a hard shell case). Probably higher battery life since any used 1520 will likely have less capacity.

Key thing though: it'll be *much* easier to buy a working 640 XL than a perfectly functioning 1520.

I'm on my third 1520 in three weeks because of dishonesty in listings. Expansys (B stock item) sent me one with a damaged digitizer, an ebay seller with 98% feedback and over 40,000 sales sent me one without a warranty and 6 white spots on the screen. The Mint condition one I got off swappa works as well as the ebay one, but its screen is in pristine condition and it has microsoft warranty.

What I've noticed about even perfectly functioning 1520's is that the phantom touch issue is always there, it just happens infrequently; like once every hour or so, I'll go to scroll and it just pretends my touch was a tap and enters an app or a folder. This could be due to my screen protector with high friction, but maybe not since this behavior is the same on the ebay 1520 with matte (smooth) screen protector. They say every 1520 has the touch issue to some degree, it just doesn't really affect you unless you flex the phone or otherwise damage the screen.

I was seduced by the specs and resolution of the 1520, so I decided to stick with it until I got one that met all my needs. If I got a 640 XL I worry that I'd treat it worse since it is a "lesser" phone with a somewhat higher price tag than a good working 1520 (~$180-$240). And I didn't want to pay return shipping for all of the accessories I had already bought.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 19, 2015

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
There was a softcard app for WP that worked last year when google tried to launch their pay system. The app is no longer available in the U.S. app store dont know about everywhere else.

Does edge on WP 10 have built in flash support like on the surface?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I'd love the specs of the 1520 with 640XL size but then the 1520 is ultra hard to find in europe and really expensive.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

On the latest windows 10 build, and I'm unable to install or update apps at this point. It worked Monday. May be SD card related, but curious if anyone is having this problem.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about it but I just got a Lumia 920 as hand-me-down and can I seriously not change the DNS server for the wifi connection in this?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Puistokemisti posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about it but I just got a Lumia 920 as hand-me-down and can I seriously not change the DNS server for the wifi connection in this?

Sadly I think that disappeared in the jump from WP7 -> WP8 or maybe WP8 -> 8.1, I forget. :(

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Just got my 640XL out of the box... Holy balls this thing is enormous! Coming off a 1020 and a Focus before that I've never had a phone this huge.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
It's about as big as the 6" Lumia 1520. Give it a few days and it becomes natural. I have a really easy time switching between my family's 5" phones and my 6".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A week ago I had a Nexus 6 on my hands and felt loving huge compared to my 925, now my 640XL looks more "normal" but then all my coworkers have 5.5" android phones or bigger (LG G3, NOTE 3/4 and one guy with the 7" Xperia Ultra) so mine is still "small".