Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Coming from isometric Fallout 2, Fallout 3 was really a step up. I loved having the VATS system in a FPS/RPG like game. I didn't like the story (mostly the ending), and the "invisible" walls in DC, but the game was somewhat memorable. The exploration was neat in that you could easily run into an area you aren't ready for, though I guess most open world games have this. To me it was the Fallout universe in Morrowind/Oblivion engine, which was great. When looking back, I see why people dismiss it as New Vegas improved on F3 in a few areas, but the game-style step up from 2 to 3 was massive.
It sounds like the majority goons are already waiting to poo poo on Fallout 4, and will probably dismiss any positives it has. They are staying tight-lipped on the story, so I'm curious as to what they are planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is literally Advance Wars http://store.steampowered.com/app/370160/

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Snuffman posted:

Bethesda gamechat:

Bethesda games are not perfect, no. Despite their glaring flaws, I adore them. I have beaten Oblivion 3 times and FO3 3 times. Also Blacklist is my favorite SC game too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

And if you want an AW clone TelepathTactics I'd supposed to be a better one

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any games like Puzzlequest out there? I already have Ironcast. I tried Gyromancer but that game is awful.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

bamhand posted:

Any games like Puzzlequest out there? I already have Ironcast. I tried Gyromancer but that game is awful.

Puzzle Kingdoms was a decent game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Mothership Zeta basically gave me a migraine while I was playing it thanks to the constant 'whom whom whom' background noise on the ship.
Therefore FO3 is immediately worse than any other game I have ever played.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Fallout NV was Fallout 3 without the fanboy-set pieces. Cohesive world with a good plot. Proof that Bethesda-style open world games can have a good story. Also not made by Bethesda, though.

The game has a Brotherhood of Steel bunker where they force you to do a bunch of tasks to earn your power armor, the starter area is a peaceful farming community, and the game puts you in a Vault 13 jumpsuit at the start of the game for no reason. Most of the factions were established in the first Fallout game and haven't really changed much in over 100 years, with the exception of the NCR. Are you sure that NV had fewer fanboy set pieces than FO3?

Which parts of the Fallout NV plot did you like the best?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
90% off Sang-Froid is super, check it out. I haven't played it too much yet but it appears to be of high quality.

Is Dead State: Reanimated not poo poo now, or another abandoned kickstarter?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Grandia II coming to Steam later this month

quote:

The remastered PC port of classic Game Arts role-playing game Grandia II—now titled Grandia II Anniversary Edition—will launch on August 24, publisher GungHo Online Entertainment America told GameSpot today.

Grandia II Anniversary Edition will be available through Steam and GOG.com. The port is based on the original Sega Dreamcast version, published 15 years ago this month, and will be on sale for $14.99 for a limited time. After this, the game will cost $19.99.

Grandia II Anniversary Edition includes several new features, such as gamepad support, a Japanese voice acting track, and an additional harder difficulty level.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Speaking of Splinter Cell Blacklist, I've been playing through it and once you rescue/kidnap Kobin he has some black market weapons that he can sell you (if you invest in it). Anyone know if these are just loud assault weapons, or is there anything stealth-friendly in the mix?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The game has a Brotherhood of Steel bunker where they force you to do a bunch of tasks to earn your power armor, the starter area is a peaceful farming community, and the game puts you in a Vault 13 jumpsuit at the start of the game for no reason. Most of the factions were established in the first Fallout game and haven't really changed much in over 100 years, with the exception of the NCR. Are you sure that NV had fewer fanboy set pieces than FO3?

Which parts of the Fallout NV plot did you like the best?

The real problem is separating the 'fanboy setpieces' in fo3 from the 'we just recycled this from van buren setpieces' in nv.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No Such Thing posted:

The real problem is separating the 'fanboy setpieces' in fo3 from the 'we just recycled this from van buren setpieces' in nv.

Wasn't Van Buren isometric? And also kinda Fallout 3 before Fallout 3? Like, why is content that had never been used before being labeled as 'recycled'?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's neat, I went home for the first time in years the other day and dusted off the old Dreamcast to play with my brother. That took up a lot of our time as kids. Armada was a cool old game, too, though what happened to that was kind of sad. The original devs tried to make a mmo out of it years later and it never left alpha. I'd pay a lot of money to Capcom for them to port Tech Romancer, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Wasn't Van Buren isometric? And also kinda Fallout 3 before Fallout 3? Like, why is content that had never been used before being labeled as 'recycled'?
Yeah. The things from Van Buren that got used were ideas - like Caesar's Legion.

Also apparently F-19 Stealth Fighter is on Steam now. Holy poo poo, that's the first game I ever played.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'll always remember Oblivion fondly, it is the fantasy rpg equivalent of Airplane!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'll always remember Oblivion fondly, it is the fantasy rpg equivalent of Airplane!

Surely you must be kidding.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/

The plus update for one way heroics is out

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Linnaeus posted:

Oh my god, they added a Tourist class. It even starts with a camera. :3:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

How is that not recycling, they took story and characters that were scrapped and they found a new use for them. The literal definition of recycling.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Drifter posted:

Only ideas got recycled, no actual content. Hell, Joshua Graham was completely different in Van Buren compared to what he ended up as in New Vegas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

That's automatic if I got the game already, right?

Edit: Huh, looks like not.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That's automatic if I got the game already, right?

Pretty sure you have to buy it for $5.84

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

Pretty sure you have to buy it for $5.84

Yeah, I thought I'd heard it was a free update. Oh well, still worth it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

No Such Thing posted:

How is that not recycling, they took story and characters that were scrapped and they found a new use for them. The literal definition of recycling.

The question is "Why is that objectionable?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No Such Thing posted:

Because you're negatively connoting the term. And if VB was never released or even finished in the first place, it's not recycling - it's re-purposing. But I wasn't trying to out-pedanticize you, I was trying to lessen your negatively biased statement.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 17, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

It was good in the vacuum it existed in, sure.

Great, glad we've stopped the weird comparisons of modern and ancient games.

If Fallout 4 is 'going to be as bad' as Fallout 3, then I'm only too happy and will sink up to a hundred hours in 'playing' the game and 'enjoying myself'.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's better to recycle ideas from a game in development but never released than it is to recycle near everything from the previous game in the series with no effort put in whatsoever, which plenty of developers are guilty of.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Great, glad we've stopped the weird comparisons of modern and ancient games.

If Fallout 4 is 'going to be as bad' as Fallout 3, then I'm only too happy and will sink up to a hundred hours in 'playing' the game and 'enjoying myself'.
Do what you want, man. I'm perfectly fine with you enjoying something I don't.

Except comparing something to something else works great when those are the only two things to compare to. After F3 we've had tons of better games.

If F4 is as 'bad' as F3, then it's going to really show it's lack of growth and evolution not to mention design improvements and yadda ydada. I'm certainly not going to pay $30+ on a return to those old ways. And by the way, I'm not saying F4 will be bad, just that I have not many positive expectations based on my experiences with other Bethesda developed games. If it turns out good, then gently caress yeah. But that's like saying Fantastic Four 2 is going to be good.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

Because you're negatively connoting the term. And if VB was never released or even finished in the first place, it's not recycling - it's re-purposing. But I wasn't trying to out-pedanticize you, I was trying to lessen your negatively biased statement.

I honestly wasn't trying to, i was more comparing fallout 3's theme and aesthetics, them trying really hard to make it as fallouty as possible, and whiffing occasionally; with the NV aesthetics, which was done by pretty much the same people who did the first two and based on the material they had previously started but never got a chance to finish.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Anyone else kind of excited for Bounty Train? It looks like FTL but on a train in the old west. Supposed to be released early access on Steam today, but apparently it's been delayed. No word on how long the delay is. Game looks pretty cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4wK__SAHU

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Except comparing something to something else works great when those are the only two things to compare to. After F3 we've had tons of better games.

If F4 is as 'bad' as F3, then it's going to really show it's lack of growth and evolution not to mention design improvements and yadda ydada. I'm certainly not going to pay $30+ on a return to those old ways. And by the way, I'm not saying F4 will be bad, just that I have not many positive expectations based on my experiences with other Bethesda developed games. If it turns out good, then gently caress yeah. But that's like saying Fantastic Four 2 is going to be good.

I'm kind of unsure what you would call a good modern game then. I mean the best RPG I've played recently is Witcher 3 but Witcher 3 is largely good on the back of its strong writing, a lot of its gameplay design elements range from dated to archaic. I don't think it's inherently wrong or a game not to be revolutionary. It can certainly be dated but for something to note be dated I usually assume that means there were significant changes in the genre that left it outdated.

I mean in the case of both New Vegas and Witcher 3 I'd say they're better because they're written better more than that they've completely improved the design and I can't think of a ton of other comparable kinds of games.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Without rehashing the last few pages, you're assuming that a formula needs to change to be accepted; that there has to be an evolution. I'm suggesting that the premise is nonsense and giving us incremental changes and settings is as good as changing the engine, a seriously expensive endeavor, and loving it up.

I wrote a bunch more :words:, but it was repetitive and didn't add much to the conversation, other than everything goes through it's day in the sun, and we'll be bitching about Witcher 3 by this time next year. But I don't sink a hundred hours into a game because of it's inventory system or the combat mechanics.*

Edit: * Okay, I hit send and realized there's a fuckton of things I pay for the mechanics, but not RPGs, so I'll qualify that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are both pretty good games that I enjoyed playing. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

I think Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are both pretty good games that I enjoyed playing. :)

Well, now we have the craziest thing ever said on the internet.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

New Vegas is the one true game. Avellonehu Akbar.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

fuckoff troll

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If Fallout 4 is bad I'll just replay Witcher 3. Pretty sure the Expansion will be out by that point anyway.

edit: or one of them will anyway, if google isn't lying to me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I've been playing Tomb Raider (the new one) and it's pretty drat fun!
Do they ever stop making Lara crash into things, falling down or otherwise hurting her tho. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

So I've been playing Tomb Raider (the new one) and it's pretty drat fun!
Do they ever stop making Lara crash into things, falling down or otherwise hurting her tho. :v:

Nnnnope. Tomb Raider 2014 is basically Lara Croft Falls Down A Lot Of Things: The Game.

• Locked thread