Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

That would be an appropriate comparison if Maryland had just tried to secede from the United States last year.

Quebec tries to secede from Canada all the time, doesn't change that they're still regular old Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Quebec tries to secede from Canada all the time, doesn't change that they're still regular old Canadians.

Yeah if there is one thing I know about Quebec it's that it's the exact same there as everywhere else in Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is, except the signs are French.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They're just like Canadians, except for the language, the culture, the politics

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having heard Scots, I'm not entirely sure they're speaking the same language as England.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were pre Comics Code comics actually lurid and shocking or is that just 50's era moral panic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Were pre Comics Code comics actually lurid and shocking or is that just 50's era moral panic?

Kind of both. They probably wouldn't shock you now but cultural standards have changed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of both. They probably wouldn't shock you now but cultural standards have changed.

The original comics code rules were ridiculous. No the word "horror"! No werewolves!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some horror and crime comics from back in the day would probably surprise you.

Imagine seeing that on a news stand next to your son's Superman, good concerned christian 50's parent!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

The original comics code rules were ridiculous. No the word "horror"! No werewolves!

Not arguing with that at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Some horror and crime comics from back in the day would probably surprise you.

Imagine seeing that on a news stand next to your son's Superman, good concerned christian 50's parent!

I wanna say it actually is kind of hosed up essentially marketing that to kids one way or another, but there's been worse than that in the children's Halloween aisle for as long as I've been alive, so :shrug:.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I wanna say it actually is kind of hosed up essentially marketing that to kids one way or another, but there's been worse than that in the children's Halloween aisle for as long as I've been alive, so :shrug:.

Yeah but that is 60 years and a lot of things have changed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zoux posted:

A lot of it was written specifically to ruin horror comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Who ginned up the moral panic?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but that is 50 years and a lot of things have changed.

I know, it's just surprising it took so long to invent seperating children's entertainment from adult's.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Dr. Frederick Wertham, writer of Seduction of the Innocent. There are a bunch of books and documentaries that cover this period well. I've always been partial to the History Channel's Comicbook Superheroes Unmasked. It's always on YouTube. It came on when I was 14 and I watched it practically every day that summer. The one hosted by Liev Schreiber is pretty cool too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uthor posted:

It was written up specifically to ruin EC as a whole. No Crime or Horror on the covers for the guys publishing Vault of Horror and Crime Tales of Suspense as their highest selling titles.

It'd be like if they banned the use of the words Bat and Super.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Thank god for Action Comics and Detective Comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Smallville did that for like 11 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were kids really buying Crime Tales of Suspense?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Of course they were, who else would be?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Absolutely. A lot of the big stuff at the time was crime or cowboy or whatnot.

I mean kids these days buy Grand Theft Auto or whatnot, the difference isn't really that big.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Adults, like the ones on this forum, so you know, only technically adults.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
[Dragnet reference]

Man, EC Comics was awesome. It's such a shame it got sabotaged like that. Judgment Day was loving phenomenal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Shiftless night watchmen seem to read comics a lot in comic books.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Shiftless night watchmen seem to read comics a lot in comic books.

They sure do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It is, except the signs are French.

In Quebec, milk comes in le bags.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Fallen Rib
A really really really good book to read about the whole comic codes/Wertham/moral panic thing would be The 10 Cent Plague by Hajdu. Book goes into the history of comics and the beginning of the moral panic and the crazy poo poo surrounding it. Churches used to organize comicbook burnings, kids were encouraged to turn over their comics and lead a good life, yadda yadda.
Kind of amazing how the comic industry sort of saved itself by throwing EC under the bus. The whole self-regulating thing was basically there to destroy EC comics which were outselling the superhero stuff. To be fair though, most of stuff the committees and panels attacked were EC comics (not to say that superheroes got off lightly though).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

Adults, like the ones on this forum, so you know, only technically adults.
Adults in the 1950s were kids before comic books existed, so they did not have a habit to carry forward into adulthood, and very few adults look at the hot new trend among 10 year olds and go "yeah, I want to buy into that poo poo".

And before anyone brings up the obvious brony counterpoint, there was no internet then either so the isolated deviants who might be inclined to do it couldn't get together and tell each other that they were normal and that was a totally okay thing to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, by all accounts, adults reading comics as a mainstream thing only really started in the 60s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How could you tell if there were bronies in the 50's, everyone was wearing fedoras then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Frankly, I'm surprised parents of the 50s cared about their children enough to sanitize things. That's only a few generations removed from drummer boys and chimney sweeps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Adults in the 1950s were kids before comic books existed, so they did not have a habit to carry forward into adulthood, and very few adults look at the hot new trend among 10 year olds and go "yeah, I want to buy into that poo poo".

And before anyone brings up the obvious brony counterpoint, there was no internet then either so the isolated deviants who might be inclined to do it couldn't get together and tell each other that they were normal and that was a totally okay thing to do.

Plenty of adults bought comics back then, obviously they were more popular among kids, but adults bought them too. Look at any letters page from back in the day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Fallen Rib
Comics were huge among the soldiers fighting in World War II and Korea. Still, comics had the appeal for young teenage boys who were also seen as delinquents. Because of the overlap between comics and young males, people just assumed that these kids disrespected their elders because of comicbooks and therefore if you get rid of comicbooks you get moral upstanding children.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

When Bill Gaines was high as poo poo on benzos and testifying before congress he essentially said that adults were his target market (but also that the severed head cover was in good taste in certain contexts... don't get high and talk to congress, kids).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

When Bill Gaines was high as poo poo on benzos and testifying before congress he essentially said that adults were his target market (but also that the severed head cover was in good taste in certain contexts... don't get high and talk to congress, kids).
He said it was appropriate for a horror comic and it could've been a lot worse. Hard to argue against that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somebody has all those letters from old Superman comics from that woman who wanted to see Lois spanked in every issue, right? That might be the weirdest old comics thing I've ever seen, Fletcher Hanks comics not included.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one behind-the-scenes thing I remember from that era is the letter from Whitney Ellsworth to Joe Shuster complaining that he was drawing Superman to look "too gay" and relaying Murray Boltinoff's suggestion that Shuster's depiction of Lois should "either have an abortion or the baby" so she'd look like more of the "tasty dish she is supposed to be".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Me and everyone I know sure as poo poo watched Robocop, Pulp Fiction, Friday The 13th, etc, etc as children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Me and everyone I know sure as poo poo watched Robocop, Pulp Fiction, Friday The 13th, etc, etc as children.

Look where it got you: posting about comic books on a website called Something Awful. Fredric Wertham was right!

(Now I want that on a shirt a la Quentin Quire's Magneto Was right shirt.)