Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

is there anything to spoil?

A couple of tiny things. Very, very annoying things that are the cherry on top of this ice cream sundae of annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Flesnolk posted:

This game would be redeemed if the ending was just straight up the last scene of The Godfather.
Aiden shutting the doors in the face of badboy?

I'd rather see him have a heart attack and keel over dead.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I feel like The Real Villain could turn out to be absolutely anyone and it wouldn't be at all surprising or interesting.

Unless it's, like, Jacks.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Aiden shutting the doors in the face of badboy?

Literally the entire final scene just straight up reenacted by the relevant characters. Though going out more like Vito would be appropriate.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The background made me miss the guy who corrected Iraq, making me think he felt insulted by the one in the back and then instead killed someone who had nothing to do with the conversation and was just wandering by.

That wouldn't be unheard of in this game.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 17, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Begemot posted:

I would immediately shell out full price for the game if this were the case.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Garrand posted:

I would immediately shell out full price for the game if this were the case.

"Why did I do it, Uncle? How could I kill my own sister...? Because she stole my teddy bear and wouldn't give it back!"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Benly posted:

Mob boss... or mayor of Chicago?

Na that's the rayman avatar guy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

This game would be redeemed if the ending was just straight up the last scene of The Godfather Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Bland, flavourless, massproduced by committee of people, and loathed by consumers>?

Sorry, first thing I thought when I saw

Speedball posted:

It's not the pizza guy!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Begemot posted:

I feel like The Real Villain could turn out to be absolutely anyone and it wouldn't be at all surprising or interesting.

If Jacks is genuinely the villain SOMEHOW I will applaud the game for absolutely not giving a gently caress and still manage to surprise me in the worst possible way. Or even his sisterwife.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jordi is the 'real villian' bad guy, Jacks and Sisterwife are in on it. They just want to see Aiden suffer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What if they never show us the true villain and just leave the plot dangling in hope of the audience demanding a sequel? :ohdear:
And then it's all revealed in an audio log, with apologies for the other writing team.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

SelenicMartian posted:

What if they never show us the true villain and just leave the plot dangling in hope of the audience demanding a sequel? :ohdear:
And then it's all revealed in an audio log, with apologies for the other writing team.

What if it's like Arkham Knight, where you think you've beaten the game and then they go "nah" and you have to find the remaining 200 riddles audio logs?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I really hope Watch Dogs pulls an Assassin's Creed with old men suddenly becoming super athletic so Lucky Quinn becomes a fistfight boss.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bobjr posted:

I really hope Watch Dogs pulls an Assassin's Creed with old men suddenly becoming super athletic so Lucky Quinn becomes a fistfight boss.

Nanomachines, son!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bobjr posted:

Do you think Ubisoft could ever design a satisfying boss fight?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

The fight with Rodrigo Borgia in rear end Creed 2 was fun.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The fight with Rodrigo Borgia in rear end Creed 2 was fun.
I recall that fight as Ezio throwing a fat, old man on the ground and repeatedly kicking him in the groin.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

I recall that fight as Ezio throwing a fat, old man on the ground and repeatedly kicking him in the groin.

Yes, and?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

What are you trying to imply about my good friend Rayman

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are you trying to imply about my good friend Rayman

I keep forgetting they designed a bunch of older games before they became the bland open world press-button-kill-a-man company.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rayman Origins and Legends are recent, my friend

Actually, Ubisoft has developed multiple pretty decent small games lately. Things like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, and Grow Home are all in house developed Ubisoft games. Their problem is with the AAA stuff. It costs so much money that I guess they just want to play it as safely as possible, which leads to everything sticking to the same proven formula.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah but the bosses in Origins (still have to play Legends) were not good. They looked nice, but they fell into the most boring of boss tropes: Just sit around avoiding attacks until your short attack window of opportunity arises, repeat X number of times.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I recall all of the Assassin's Creed games I've played (1, 2, and Brotherhood) having enjoyable and interesting bosses. Just that none of them were the final boss.

Assassin's Creed 1 is probably the hardest one of the lot...I died like half a dozen times to that one bit where you have to go 12 on 1 with the entire Templar Order. Then it led to an absurdly easy final boss fight with an old man.

Assassin's Creed 2 had some tough and interesting bosses and assassinations...and then led to an absurdly easy final boss fight with an old man.

Brotherhood's final boss fight was not absurdly easy and was not against an old man, but given the Medicine system in Brotherhood it's functionally impossible to die by that point in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The bosses in Origins were horrendously bad and made me drop the game that I was really enjoying before hand.

Western devs really need to learn to not shoehorn boss fights in games that don't need them, because a good number of them can't do it right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Y'all are blowing the bosses in Origins way out of proportion, but that's not what I was talking about when I brought those two up

Night10194 posted:

I keep forgetting they designed a bunch of older games before they became the bland open world press-button-kill-a-man company.

He's saying they stopped making games that aren't like Watch_Dogs (and implying they stopped making good ones), which is not true

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ometeotl posted:

still have to play Legends

Rayman Legends is one of the best 2D platformers ever made.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SelenicMartian posted:

The last man left alive at the end lies injured on the ground. He whispers a name into Aiden's ear as Aiden looks shocked (or as shocked as his total lack of all emotion will allow). Then Aiden takes a step back and aims a gun at his fallen foe's head...

FADE TO BLACK. GUNSHOT.

Then the ending credits with some buttrock over it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
"IT'S ME, AIDEN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, AIDEN!"

(Hopefully Jordi's still alive so he can chime in with "aww, son of a bitch!")

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pretty much everything about Grow Home screams that Ubisoft management didn't commission it.

I mean every other game you mentioned? Uplay. The studio's previous game, Driver San Francisco? Uplay. The game they were all supposed to be working on while Ivory Tower shoved them in a corner to work on pre-rendered cutscenes? Uplay. Grow Home doesn't have Uplay and it's obvious why.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 17, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Pretty much everything about Grow Home screams that Ubisoft management didn't commission it.

It didn't. It was made by a few Ubisoft devs independently and passed around the office for testing.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It was also snuck onto Steam with less fanfare than the average indie sidescrolling zombie survival game.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Benly posted:

Mob boss... or mayor of Chicago?

Rumda posted:

Na that's the rayman avatar guy
Now I can see the game ending with Rayman typing away on a computer somewhere, and Aiden just walks in and says, "It was you?! All along?!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It didn't. It was made by a few Ubisoft devs independently and passed around the office for testing.

Pretty much all of the really good Ubisoft games are passion projects the developers do in between the big AAA stuff. Hell, even Far Cry had something like it in Blood Dragon.

Though Far Cry is Ubisoft's best AAA series in my mind already.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ubisoft's actually pretty cool about their budget titles, I think they even officially said that as long as A game doesn't have a high budget, they'll okay it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 18, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why didn't Aiden kill that incredibly powerful mob boss when it certainly wouldn't cause any kind of backlash? Truly a head scratcher.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty much all of the really good Ubisoft games are passion projects the developers do in between the big AAA stuff. Hell, even Far Cry had something like it in Blood Dragon.

Though Far Cry is Ubisoft's best AAA series in my mind already.

Far Cry is really good because it has no real meaning or purpose behind it other than "Blow poo poo up and stealth kill an army in the most badass way you can think of." This surprisingly keeps it really focused, so they can feel free to change the environment and characters as often as possible and just put in whatever makes you most feel like a badass. Watch_Dogs failed because it tried to do every "open world game thing" it could in a single incoherent manner and was basically mashed together from several conflicting scripts, Assassin's Creed often has problems because it has to keep up with a complex plot that spans a thousand years and build on a game that started out pretty bare in terms of gameplay.

With Far Cry your biggest concern is "Do I use a wingsuit to land on the roof and fire RPGs to release elephants from their cages or take a truck to sneak up to the edge of the map and use a bow and knife to assassinate everyone in a way that intentionally makes at least one enemy poo poo their pants from fear? Can I fit a flamethrower into either of these plans?"

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Typically my loadout in farcry consisted of a knife and a grenade launcher.

It's still stealth if no one who saw you is still alive, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That reminds me. Been taking a look at MGSV: Ground Zeroes this week.

Every frigging guard has a unique callsign when they phone in a disturbance to the CP. That is the sort of insane level of detail you normally never need but Kojima decides has to go in.

And the actual base isn't necessarily huge, but it's really good at making it look far bigger than it actually is due to clever level design. Quality over quantity.

On the other hand, Ubisoft sandboxes are far too often quantity over quality these days. They can make a landscape look beautiful but damned if any place in Far Cry 4 looked distinct from other places.

• Locked thread