Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I wish Paradox Space was updating, with cool comics like that Felt one and the Sumerteen romance one, and not with the bad comics.

I'd take the bad ones myself. Anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR FOOT posted:

omegapause day 4: troll genitalia and gender politics
What the gently caress, duderini? Why is it not okay to discuss gender politics in the thread when they are explicitly touched on in the comic? Whether you like it or not, Dave had a hell of a lot to say about gender preference and traditional masculinity. Why is the most clinical of references to trolls' possible hermaphroditism immediately met with "oh, deity save me, we're talking about body parts, give me my smelling salts?" The stuff you're getting mad about discussing is right there in the comic, repeatedly. It is relevant what the troll definition of gender is, because most trolls mate without reference to it, as per Hussie. It is relevant how humans define their gender preferences as interacting with troll gender definitions, because the humans do care and the trolls don't.

It's not like I'm drawing intricate illustrations of troll six-ways. Talking about gender and trolls isn't obscene.

e:

Who What Now posted:

I tell my dude friends to calm their tits all the time, doesn't make them hermaphrodites. I mean, they do have tits, but because they are fat not because they also have vaginas.
Yip. I've seen other women saying "so-and-so can suck my dick", just as an expression of rage without any reference to actual genitals. Vriska, who's the girl talking about her bulge, strikes me as exactly the sort of person who would do that.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 17, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I've been skimming Homestuck updates intermittently over the past two years, not even reading anything, just skimming the pictures randomly and seeing if this is ever going to come to an ending. I think the Aranea badguy reveal was where I said 'ok, no, enough of this' and stopped actually trying to comprehend what was going on.

Now I see this update about how 'by pagecount' there is 1% left and I don't see how it is possible that the story can be coming into a climax. Can someone briefly explain how the past two years (all of Act 6 Act 6) could possibly be coming to a satisfying close, or why anyone still cares about happens to the characters? Did it ever get proven that the big bad guy all along is actually supposed to be Vriska? (I know they brought her back again for some dumb reason)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MrBims posted:

I've been skimming Homestuck updates intermittently over the past two years, not even reading anything, just skimming the pictures randomly and seeing if this is ever going to come to an ending. I think the Aranea badguy reveal was where I said 'ok, no, enough of this' and stopped actually trying to comprehend what was going on.

Now I see this update about how 'by pagecount' there is 1% left and I don't see how it is possible that the story can be coming into a climax. Can someone briefly explain how the past two years (all of Act 6 Act 6) could possibly be coming to a satisfying close, or why anyone still cares about happens to the characters? Did it ever get proven that the big bad guy all along is actually supposed to be Vriska? (I know they brought her back again for some dumb reason)

It's possible because animations of any length still only count as one page.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not like I'm drawing intricate illustrations of troll six-ways.

Well, what's stopping you?

MrBims posted:

Can someone briefly explain

lol, no

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Burkion posted:

I'd take the bad ones myself. Anything.
I've never seen anyone looking forward to more KC Green-drawn SBaHJ comics as much as you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrBims posted:

No, the big bad guy is not Vriska. It is (assuming the guy we know about is the final boss, a dangerous assumption) Lord English, who turns out to be an amalgam of Li'l Cal, Caliborn, AR (Dirk's glasses), half of Gamzee, and Equius's ghost.

I think the thing appears to be winding up to a satisfactory close because you missed a hell of a lot of character development. It turns out Dave wasn't lying when he said he wasn't sad his brother died, that he was dead serious about not wanting to be a hero and fight the Big Bad. All of the kids and all of the surviving trolls have met up and have exchanged large amounts of character-related information. All of the characters have now grouped up for what they believe will be the boss fight. Old clues are being picked up on, expanded, and put behind us. And the jokes kept coming.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

MrBims posted:

Yeah theres a lot that went on, so if you really wanna know, theres going to be quite a few words. also clearly I still care, I'm still reading the drat thing and enjoying it, even at this point where it seems even the mighty Huss is tired and wants the nightmare to come to a close. (Why I care is because there's been a lot of good character development recently so...)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bell_ posted:

I've never seen anyone looking forward to more KC Green-drawn SBaHJ comics as much as you.

Let's be fair that's because *NO ONE* has ever looked forward to KC Green SBaHJ until this thread went sideways.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Burkion posted:

Let's be fair that's because *NO ONE* has ever looked forward to KC Green SBaHJ until this thread went sideways.

I did but only because everyone always got so mad about them that it made my contrarianism flair up, especially since I never saw anything wrong with them, personally.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MrBims posted:

Most of the character arcs are now resolved; they've realised who they all are and what they all want to be, with only one or two exceptions. All that's left is to resolve the events of the plot, largely in one big blowout battle.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

eheheh makiing fun of KC green2 2bahj i2 the be2t thiing two do.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What the gently caress, duderini? Why is it not okay to discuss gender politics in the thread when they are explicitly touched on in the comic? Whether you like it or not, Dave had a hell of a lot to say about gender preference and traditional masculinity. Why is the most clinical of references to trolls' possible hermaphroditism immediately met with "oh, deity save me, we're talking about body parts, give me my smelling salts?" The stuff you're getting mad about discussing is right there in the comic, repeatedly. It is relevant what the troll definition of gender is, because most trolls mate without reference to it, as per Hussie. It is relevant how humans define their gender preferences as interacting with troll gender definitions, because the humans do care and the trolls don't.

It's not like I'm drawing intricate illustrations of troll six-ways. Talking about gender and trolls isn't obscene.

calm down tiger

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like trolls totally do have gender though since they pretty obviously identify themselves as one or the other and some even exclusively like one gender over the other. When John told Karkat he wasn't a homosexual Karkat wasn't confused at the not liking boys bit, but he was confused at them having a word for that specific permutation of preferences.

Their stuff about gender seems to line up with the human gender ways pretty well, it's just the preferences and the connotations that come with are what boggles them. Troll society really seems to just be a "you are what you are and you like what you like" sorta deal.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Here's one for the list of "Things that I am somewhat incredulous to actually be writing with my own hands but whatever":

My pet theory is that trolls are like clownfish; they're all born male, but have the ability to change themselves into females at some point in development. This theory is supported by the fact that within troll culture, the dominant individuals, both in terms of the hemocastes and just general personality of the trolls we've seen, tend to be female (Feferi, Vriska, Kanaya, Terezi) and the submissive trolls we've seen are largely male (Karkat, Tavros, Eridan, and Equius, though he only recently admitted it to himself).

As for breeding, well, whatever. 'Rails before Pails.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone pointed out that the next act is Act 6-subact 6-part 6 and that 666 is the perfect time for the final boss to appear since it's the number of the beast (although some translations say it's 616, but that's not as cool)?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 17, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

Here's one for the list of "Things that I am somewhat incredulous to actually be writing with my own hands but whatever":

My pet theory is that trolls are like clownfish; they're all born male, but have the ability to change themselves into females at some point in development. This theory is supported by the fact that within troll culture, the dominant individuals, both in terms of the hemocastes and just general personality of the trolls we've seen, tend to be female (Feferi, Vriska, Kanaya, Terezi) and the submissive trolls we've seen are largely male (Karkat, Tavros, Eridan, and Equius, though he only recently admitted it to himself).

I'd argue that Kanaya isn't dominant nor is Eridan submissive. Eridan is a douchebag and a massive goober, but not really submissive. If he were he wouldn't have murdered half of his friends. Plus Gamzee is the highest non-seadweller and the most aggressive of all the trolls while Nepeta is very low on the spectrum and is completely incapable of doing anything proactively (except get herself killed).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plom Bar posted:

I think Hussie has been pretty straight forward with how the Trolls work.

They are a binary gendered species, with exceptions like humans and other animals and insects and the like. What is different is how they breed, which requires a secondary but linked species, the Mother Grub, to be able to actually produce their offspring. It needs genetic material from any two Trolls and then it can make babies.

If Trolls can have sex, it isn't related to their ability to breed, and vice versa.

This is why Troll sexuality is meaningless- yes in human context Kanaya is a lesbian and Karkat is bisexual, but those are meaningless because for us we started coming up with that because it was tied into 'sex that could result in babies and sex that couldn't. Trolls don't have that baggage and so they don't have those labels. Kanaya can have children with any Troll she wants, any gender, so long as they have a mother grub.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Who What Now posted:

I'd argue that Kanaya isn't dominant nor is Eridan submissive. Eridan is a douchebag and a massive goober, but not really submissive. If he were he wouldn't have murdered half of his friends. Plus Gamzee is the highest non-seadweller and the most aggressive of all the trolls while Nepeta is very low on the spectrum and is completely incapable of doing anything proactively (except get herself killed).

This actually fits with the clownfish theory, because in every colony the second-in-command is male. Plus, while Eridan has no sense of boundaries, he's still a toady to the royalty and the whole reason he killed his friends was as an attempt to placate Jack Noir, whom he saw as a higher power.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yo have any of you guys that live on Tumblr seen any fanart featuring Gamzee alongside Clownpiece from the new Touhou game, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom? I've been poking around, but no dice so far.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAR FOOT posted:

waifu tiers:

best tier:

Vriska???

worst tier:

also Vriska???

Homestuck will never end.

An ouroboros of gently caress

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What the gently caress, duderini? Why is it not okay to discuss gender politics in the thread when they are explicitly touched on in the comic?.

Cause you post like a complete tool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I liked it when everyone started getting murdered on the asteroid by the clown and other people. Most memorable part of this comic was when the grey guy calmed down the clown with pats and shooshes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WAR FOOT posted:

waifu tiers:

best tier:

Vriska???

worst tier:

also Vriska???

Homestuck will never end.

Canonically, our waifu is Nepeta. Hussie said so himself, and who are we to argue with him?

Obviously though, he only said that so he could claim (Vriska) as his own exclusive waifu.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The fans seem convined that the Omegapause won't be as long as the year-long Gigapause. I see their point - during that time, Hussie was supposedly involved in trying and failing to stop The Odd Gentlemen from stealing his money to work on the apparently-all-important-I-guess King's Quest license. But I'm still not convinced that it'll be shorter. Thoughts?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I watched the first part of the Steam Train coverage of the new King's Quest, and I must grudgingly admit that it does look like a good and inspired game.

Too bad that it was paid for with lies and betrayal

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I liked it when everyone started getting murdered on the asteroid by the clown and other people. Most memorable part of this comic was when the grey guy calmed down the clown with pats and shooshes.

Yea the grey guy from homestuck is one of the best characters.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blackheart posted:

Yea the grey guy from homestuck is one of the best characters.

I prefer the white kid

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Mazerunner posted:

I prefer the white kid

Let us not discount the appeal of the flighty broads.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SHISHKABOB posted:

That never happened. John reconned it away.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When was Lord English made out of glasses again?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That never happened. John retconned it away.
Presumably Terezi now remembers it, though.

Bogart posted:

When was Lord English made out of glasses again?

(1) Dirk makes ARquiussprite out of Equiussprite (happens both pre- and post-retcon)
(2) In "Caliborn's Masterpiece", ARquiussprite + half of Gamzee + Caliborn = Lord English
(3) However, in one of the last updates, ARQuiussprite merged with another sprite, making a strobing abomination unto God. This is incompatible with (2).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Presumably Terezi now remembers it, though.

(1) Dirk makes ARquiussprite out of Equiussprite (happens both pre- and post-retcon)
(2) In "Caliborn's Masterpiece", ARquiussprite + half of Gamzee + Caliborn = Lord English
(3) However, in one of the last updates, ARQuiussprite merged with another sprite, making a strobing abomination unto God. This is incompatible with (2).

Davepetasprite was already 2x prototyped by that point, so they didn't merge. That hug was just a hug.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also there are two AR sprites running around

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Burkion posted:

Also there are two AR sprites running around

Yeah, I think it will end up being pre retcon ARquius who will become part of Lord English. Especially with Davepeta's presence in the post retcon timeline.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

Yeah, I think it will end up being pre retcon ARquius who will become part of Lord English. Especially with Davepeta's presence in the post retcon timeline.

Well, presumably, too, because Gamzee is still whole in this timeline.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like no Paradox Space in the foreseeable future unless more people buy books. It's cool that they're looking to pay their creatives fairly, and understandable that they don't want the website to be a moneysink, but now I'm wondering where all those homestuck bux have been going (they've been going into the game).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Classtoise posted:

Well, presumably, too, because Gamzee is still whole in this timeline.

How does Gamzee have any effect on which of the two existing ARquiusprite do or do not do a thing.

(Davepeta as well, for that matter)

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

How does Gamzee have any effect on which of the two existing ARquiusprite do or do not do a thing.

(Davepeta as well, for that matter)

Because ARquiusprite and half of Gamzee became part of Lord English. THIS ARquiusprite is in a universe with no half-Gamzee, so presumably it's still "old universe" ARquiusprite and Gamzee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That never happened. John reconned it away.

It happened for me, and that's what truly matters.