Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shadeoses posted:

:siren:DO NOT gently caress GOBLINS:siren:

But she promised to grant me a wish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Shadeoses posted:

:(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Shadeoses posted:

don't kinkshame

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

And for the ladies!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Borris posted:

And for the ladies!

I have those miners on my painting table right now and yes, the muscle sculpts are really that terrible. Speaking of, you can't post those and not the original Injun Joss (bonus points for terrible name):

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Now *that's* the kind of miner I can get behind preying on.

I bet the coal dust would get everywhere.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pierzak posted:

I have those miners on my painting table right now and yes, the muscle sculpts are really that terrible. Speaking of, you can't post those and not the original Injun Joss (bonus points for terrible name):

He's a pair of horns away from being a Shadowrun Troll.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Doctor Borris posted:

And for the ladies!

Are those butt implants on the miner at bottom right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Some miniatures need it more than others.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Butts are kind of inescapable on biological-ish bipeds.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

JcDent posted:

Butts are kind of inescapable on biological-ish bipeds.

But butt implants?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

That poor thing, it's giant, square glutes aren't connected to it's lower back. I'm assuming that it's pose is supposed to represent it flopping limply forward.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

As much as I despair and bemoan at Kingdom of Death I do find the Malifaux Victorian steampunk/gothic horror aesthetic much more appealing even if it is Zombie Hookers etc.

Then you get this goblin. I actually don't hate it, although part of thinks I probably should! I think it comes across as a tongue firmly in cheek comedy piece from the Carry On film school of mild yet charming naughtiness skirting the border of tackiness. I'm probably a bad person.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

Nice.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ugleb posted:

I'm probably a bad person.

No question. You're a goon.

I find malifaux super-weird and pretty gross but given the usual reception it gets, I can only conclude I'm a crazy person. I've seen Infinity minis get more outrage than the bizarre poo poo malifaux does.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I find malifaux super-weird and pretty gross but given the usual reception it gets, I can only conclude I'm a crazy person. I've seen Infinity minis get more outrage than the bizarre poo poo malifaux does.

I'm a fan of Malifaux but there's a lot of stuff that's skeevy/problematic. Zombie hookers being one of them--I get the angle they're going with there, sure, because the guy who raises them is basically Jack the Ripper. But it's still weird and kinda gross. Which, I suppose is intentional.

The Ronin and the Victorias being stripper cheesecake models despite being accomplished and dangerous swordswomen is not really acceptable in TYOOL 2015, though.

Pulled Pork Bendy
Aug 14, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Honestly, the divide between people's reactions to Malifaux and Infinity might just be that Infinity falls under the banner of gross-anime-business for some and Malifaux doesn't. Not that some of Infinity isn't gross-anime-business.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I live secure in the knowledge that I'm a bad person.

Stupid riot grrrl nipples.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
There's a good handful of seductress-y models in Malifaux that can force enemies to push towards them, but iirc Trixiebelle is special in that her lure ability just makes non-Gremlins push away.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pulled Pork Bendy posted:

Honestly, the divide between people's reactions to Malifaux and Infinity might just be that Infinity falls under the banner of gross-anime-business for some and Malifaux doesn't. Not that some of Infinity isn't gross-anime-business.

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with presentation and in-universe context with their settings. In Infinity, the Caledonian Volunteers for instance are ostensibly a sort of home guard/Volkssturm type organization not a bunch of strippers yet one of them dresses and is posed like one. Infinity says "this is serious, these are serious soldiers doing soldier stuff" and then just tosses in stuff like boob plate and fashion model poses on a huge number of it's female miniatures. Malifaux on the other hand is not meant to be taken seriously, it's a horror/western pop culture pastiche setting, stuff like sexy zombie nurses are their because that's the territory of B movie horror films.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

ellbent posted:

There's a good handful of seductress-y models in Malifaux that can force enemies to push towards them, but iirc Trixiebelle is special in that her lure ability just makes non-Gremlins push away.

Which is what I mean about the comedy aspect. It reminds me of Gremlins 2 with the miss piggy girl gremlin freaking human men out with its weird sexual advances. This makes it... Ok?

The stripper samurai girls, they are just a trope I guess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Infinity says "this is serious, these are serious soldiers doing soldier stuff"
Not disagreeing with your core point but that does summarize a lot of things in anime/manga extremely well, or at least has in my experience over the years.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Not disagreeing with your core point but that does summarize a lot of things in anime/manga extremely well, or at least has in my experience over the years.

Yeah. The fantasy is 'this is serious. Except there are neat robots, cool futuristic vehicles and toys, kids have psychic powers that make them ideal heroes who save the world repeatedly, and also every woman is on the verge of a striptease at all times--and they don't have troublesome things like personalities to get in the way of thinking they're cute'.

The stripper part is in there with the part where a guy in armor with a broadsword in one hand and a submachinegun in the other is somehow the future of warfare. Along with his friend, the robot spider that can fly.

Drawing a line somewhere in the middle of the tropes and saying 'this one does not belong', is just how you come at it. Just like how I don't get how steampunk also mean gothic horror and sex. But honestly, now that I say it out loud, it's obviously a greatest-hits of the unrepresented genres, so I guess now I get the point and shouldn't be turned off as much. Since I don't have a problem with B-grade horror films that do much worse. They're not my favorite, but I think I can be on Slimnoid's page about getting the idea.

Well. I've learned a lot today. And grown as a person. Thanks BotW thread!

Edit: \/\/\/ I'm not missing that point. Anime makes the women sexy, usually in a way that would be ludicrous if not for how everyone in the cartoon acts anime-normal while it's happening. Equality is not part of the genre. Just like it isn't in horror films.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 17, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Drawing a line somewhere in the middle of the tropes and saying 'this one does not belong', is just how you come at it.

The point you're missing is that the Infinity line is explicitly drawn between male and female characters.

It wouldn't be an issue if everyone was sexy and it was a game about hot future male, robot, and female strippers. It's casually assigning women sexy Halloween versions of the male uniforms that rubs folks the wrong way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Equality is not part of the genre. Just like it isn't in horror films.

The best argument for the destruction of those genres.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

moths posted:

The point you're missing is that the Infinity line is explicitly drawn between male and female characters.

It wouldn't be an issue if everyone was sexy and it was a game about hot future male, robot, and female strippers. It's casually assigning women sexy Halloween versions of the male uniforms that rubs folks the wrong way.

My favorite are the troops in EOD style body armor, but the ladies have giant breasts sown into their armor. At least they're all in action poses, for once.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Malifaux reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade. I don't mean any offense here but it's hard to point out any specific part of its insane wonderful tapestry as specifically too far. It's all so B movie wonderful with a lot of heart. It's like if you tell someone, will a totally sincere face, that you think Troll 2 might not be a very good movie. Malifaux has a serial killer necromancer who kills hookers to make undead. That is both awful and logical at the same time.

Infinity has a lot more seriousness, so the strippers who say they are combat soldiers and not, like in malifaux, undead nurse strippers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My favorite are the troops in EOD style body armor, but the ladies have giant breasts sown into their armor. At least they're all in action poses, for once.

I get they are going for Ghost in the Shell level stuff, but even the Major isn't as bad as half the models. Yes I am an anime nerd.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Doctor Borris posted:

Malifaux reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade. I don't mean any offense here but it's hard to point out any specific part of its insane wonderful tapestry as specifically too far. It's all so B movie wonderful with a lot of heart. It's like if you tell someone, will a totally sincere face, that you think Troll 2 might not be a very good movie. Malifaux has a serial killer necromancer who kills hookers to make undead. That is both awful and logical at the same time.

Infinity has a lot more seriousness, so the strippers who say they are combat soldiers and not, like in malifaux, undead nurse strippers.

It's the same reason why "bad" movies like Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Once Upon A Time in Mexico are enjoyable, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a slog. There is stuff that is more acceptable within genre fiction than outside of it, and when something tries to be serious and misses it has much greater ramifications for the setting as a whole.

And I want to make it clear. I have nothing strictly against Infinity, I really like the game and play it frequently, or against a lot of "sexy" minis. I'm fine with Infinity's pinup range, for instance. If something is intentionally supposed to be sexual and presented in the context, it's a little weird, but whatever each to their own. It's when they undermine the position of women in the actual setting by needlessly sexualizing them for no reason. It's why I use third party minis for my Infinity stuff (specifically Dreamforge things) because I sometimes like to have some power fantasy that's aimed at my gender and portrays women who are just badasses without needing to be titszapoppin.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I donno, the Major is pretty bad once you realize what is and isn't clothes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wanna gently caress that goblin

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
It bothers me because the original Ronin sculpts in Malifaux were badass and the plastic sculpts are that dumb schoolgirl fantasy b.s.. They also turned Taelor into a cutesy "little girl with big hammer" although I guess it's better than the old metal one.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that goblin has a nice rear end

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
which dudes are the undead cowboys riding on flaming caskets because those are the only good malifaux

e: these dudes are hella rad:

e: I thought I remembered one just straight up surfing one when my buddy / goon Karnegal got into the game a few GenCons ago and tried to sell me on how cool it is.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 18, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's the same reason why "bad" movies like Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Once Upon A Time in Mexico are enjoyable, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a slog. There is stuff that is more acceptable within genre fiction than outside of it, and when something tries to be serious and misses it has much greater ramifications for the setting as a whole.

And I want to make it clear. I have nothing strictly against Infinity, I really like the game and play it frequently, or against a lot of "sexy" minis. I'm fine with Infinity's pinup range, for instance. If something is intentionally supposed to be sexual and presented in the context, it's a little weird, but whatever each to their own. It's when they undermine the position of women in the actual setting by needlessly sexualizing them for no reason. It's why I use third party minis for my Infinity stuff (specifically Dreamforge things) because I sometimes like to have some power fantasy that's aimed at my gender and portrays women who are just badasses without needing to be titszapoppin.

You know, I'm also kinda ok with a sexy mode psyker / wizard or some kind of rear commander that is a support model. Something where maybe a little less clothes could be a personal choice. I'm also fine with, like in Malifaux, they have a undead hooker spirit killed and now out for revenge. I mean once a ghost hits that low in their life, I say dress as they want!

Its the frontline grunt infantry that always annoy me. I dislike the models who are supposed to be tough getting weird clothing passes, especially when their direct compatriots are obviously wearing flak vests or power suits. For example, I'd be fine with Captain Tits in a Catachan Army, when everyone is 'roided up and it looks like a WWE meeting that has gone terribly wrong (right?). Where the whole army is operating under "Rule of Cool".

Topless Ladies welcome!

I'll be in my tent!

She makes me hot.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 18, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I donno, the Major is pretty bad once you realize what is and isn't clothes.

Everything is clothes since she's entirely robotic! :eng101:

I just wish she would wear some loving pants. So it wouldn't be so drat weird to watch. Here's a bunch of fully clothed men and their boss a woman in a one piece swimsuit with a leather jacket and thigh high stockings.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wanna gently caress those cowboys

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Doctor Borris posted:

You know, I'm also kinda ok with a sexy mode psyker / wizard or some kind of rear commander that is a support model. Something where maybe a little less clothes could be a personal choice. I'm also fine with, like in Malifaux, they have a undead hooker spirit killed and now out for revenge. I mean once a ghost hits that low in their life, I say dress as they want!

Its the frontline grunt infantry that always annoy me. I dislike the models who are supposed to be tough getting weird clothing passes, especially when their direct compatriots are obviously wearing flak vests or power suits. For example, I'd be fine with Captain Tits in a Catachan Army, when everyone is 'roided up and it looks like a WWE meeting that has gone terribly wrong (right?). Where the whole army is operating under "Rule of Cool".

Considering how ridiculously small the Guardsmen flackjackets are, you could easily replace the wifebeaters with them and actually end up with less body coverage. Bare midriffs for everyone! It UT2004 again!

EDIT: At least nobody is arguing for more "body positive" minis. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'd be okay with some "ladies and dudes who are comfortable with their weight" minis, but not in a military setting.

Some fat cowboy for Legends of the Old West? Hell yeah! (I have one, his name is Bobba Fat.) A fat infantryman? :getout: