Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

kiimo posted:

The last two posts are making it clear why I haven't won a fantasy championship in over ten years.

You should ask them where they placed in their leagues! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Forever_Peace posted:

Alright I wrote up some quick excel formula for you to try that at least fixes the problem of over-dependence on the player at the top of each tier.

Essentially, what it does is make a moving average and a moving pooled standard error for any given tier, then checks to see if the new addition is distinguishable from these values. If it is not, it is added to the pool only if it doesn't depress the moving average enough to make the top player of the tier become significantly different from the moving average. Otherwise, it starts a new tier. Essentially, what you should get are tiers of players that are indistinguishable from their pooled average and pooled standard error.

You will need player names (for players of the same position) in column B, mean projections in column C, and SDs in column D, with titles along row 1 and values starting from row 2. Sort the data by the mean projections, from highest to lowest.

Title the following columns: column A will be tier (it must be column A for this to work), column E will be variance, column F will be pooled SE, and column G will be pooled average.

Formula from E2 and down: =D2^2
From F3 and down (with one blank row): =SQRT(AVERAGEIF(A$2:A2,A2,E$2:E2))
From G3 and down (with one blank row): =AVERAGEIF(A$2:A2,A2,C$2:C2)
A2: 1
From A3 and down: =IF(C3>G3-F3,IF(VLOOKUP(A2,$A$2:$C$10,3,FALSE)<G3+F3,A2,A2+1),A2+1)

Where the bolded portion of the A3 formula is a box containing your entire array of data from columns A, B, and C (I just made 9 rows of fake data to bang out the formulas so it only goes to row 10 - change the 10s here to whatever the last row of your data is).

None of the formula will work until all three are done correctly. Let me know if it gives you any trouble.

Here's the raw data I'm working with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jz08tdIaz7WU9-9OfO8zpGPneSPdfGmNMPe8Z43f-rw/edit?usp=sharing

One of the guys on Reddit uses something called a Gaussian mixture model. Either of you two know anything about what that could be?

kiimo posted:

The last two posts are making it clear why I haven't won a fantasy championship in over ten years.

You haven't won a championship because FF is arbitrary and capricious.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

I've beaten at least one of those nerds heads up in the playoffs at least two years in a row. #kickersmatter

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

That could work, but the tiers may come out a bit strange sometimes because you're comparing every player to the first player in a tier. Like, consider if the first player happens to be Martavis or Randle. You'd get a bigger than normal tier because the initial variance happened to be high. You might also get some sudden cutoffs, where two players might be indistinguishable from one another, but one barely makes it into the higher tier while the other becomes the start of the lower tier.

Probably the "best" way to do 1D discretizing here is "kernel density estimation", followed by "Jenks natural breaks optimization". Both have solutions in R and Python etc but might be tougher in excel...

Yeah, instead of having a tier system you could have an extra column called like "individual tier" or something where for each player you go down until they're significantly different. These results might not always be intuitive, like the RB5 might have a very high variance so his tier goes down to 9 or 10, but the RB6 is a low variance so his tier only goes down to 8. I don't think that's a bad result, and it actually might help people consider the variance more.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's the raw data I'm working with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jz08tdIaz7WU9-9OfO8zpGPneSPdfGmNMPe8Z43f-rw/edit?usp=sharing

One of the guys on Reddit uses something called a Gaussian mixture model. Either of you two know anything about what that could be?

Based on like 20 seconds on wikipedia, a gaussian mixture model sounds like a fancy way of saying a weighted average of normal (Gaussian) distributions. I haven't worked with one myself, but they probably use it to give more weight to the "better" experts when coming up with their averages?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man I'd love to agree with you but last draft I passed on Luck to select Foles and passed on DeMarco Murray to select Andre Ellington. I am trash.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

I have the hugest mad boner respect for statistics but the fanciest poo poo I ever did was a regression analysis and I probably couldn't do it again if you held a gun to my head. Seriously, you guys are doing work in improving Beersheets, and that's awesome.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kiimo posted:

Man I'd love to agree with you but last draft I passed on Luck to select Foles and passed on DeMarco Murray to select Andre Ellington. I am trash.

On the flip side I've led my league in scoring like four out of the five years and placed second in four out of five years. Championships are snakepoison.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh, yeah that's a fine idea. GMMs are fitted parametric models that try to maximize the probability of the data given the model (in contrast, KDE is nonparametric). Each "guassian" is just a mean and a variance (ie a distribution) that might be behind the data, and the "mixture" is a weighed blending of these distributions. In this case, he's making the assumption that our projections may be drawn from a set of overlapping tiers to which players belong (and working backwards, that any given player will have a certain probability of being in any given tier). It's not what I would have chosen but it could probably do the job.

FWIW I think it's possible to make a hybrid KDE-GMM, but I wouldn't even know where to start!

Re: my simple moving pooled estimates, I'll adapt the formula to your format later today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Forever_Peace posted:

Oh, yeah that's a fine idea. GMMs are fitted parametric models that try to maximize the probability of the data given the model (in contrast, KDE is nonparametric). Each "guassian" is just a mean and a variance (ie a distribution) that might be behind the data, and the "mixture" is a weighed blending of these distributions. In this case, he's making the assumption that our projections may be drawn from a set of overlapping tiers to which players belong (and working backwards, that any given player will have a certain probability of being in any given tier). It's not what I would have chosen but it could probably do the job.

FWIW I think it's possible to make a hybrid KDE-GMM, but I wouldn't even know where to start!

Re: my simple moving pooled estimates, I'll adapt the formula to your format later today.

Here's what he's been doing: http://www.borischen.co/2015/08/2015-fantasy-football-draft-kit-standard.html

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Yeah, I don't think a GMM will give super different results from your suggestion anyway.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Somebody posted this dudes work in the IRC last year. I remember looking at it and distinctly thinking "this is a bunch of smoke and mirrors to convince people that Forsett is overvalued so that he can get easy trades in his league"

Forsett was a top 10 RB at the time and Taliaferro was out of the picture

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I won my league last year because I won the OBJ lottery and also having Antonio Brown who I picked up for $32. Sometimes it's luck and being in the right spot at the right time, also because I'm the best.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TNG posted:

I won my league last year because I won the OBJ lottery and also having Antonio Brown who I picked up for $32. Sometimes it's luck and being in the right spot at the right time, also because I'm the best.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I have the option of keeping Eddie Lacy or CJ Anderson and I keep second guessing myself. Lacy definitely has the track record, but I'm worried about him staying 100% healthy all season. Anderson has only started half a season, but looked like a monster. Anderson is definitely helped by the league being .5 ppr, but what if last season was a fluke? I haven't really kept up with the Broncos either, is he in danger of ending up in some nightmare committee backfield?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Anderson just got hurt and Lacy was a no brainer before that. Broncos still have Ball and Hillman around whereas the Packers have...starks? haha, no contest.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I think Anderson just got hurt and Lacy was a no brainer before that. Broncos still have Ball and Hillman around whereas the Packers have...starks? haha, no contest.

Anderson is fine. I'd take Lacy over him for sure, but I also have a sneaking suspicion Anderson is going to have a huge year.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

This is very cool. I will say that using rankings instead of projections is adding some pretty extreme heteroscedasticity (in other words, the standard deviation of any player depends on the ranking of that player because of "wall" effects), but I have no idea how that impacts Gaussian mixture models so I'm not even sure that's much of a problem.

In any case, I'll get the quick-and-dirty moving pools done and then explore KDE a bit. Thanks for the data sample.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The Broncos have a ton of RB depth. Anderson is far from a sure thing. He has looked good, and while most people think he will have a good year, he's still a fairly risky pick.

There's also a shitload of revisionism about Montee Ball. Because he crashed and burned so badly last year, magically everybody everywhere claims they called it, despite his consensus 2nd round draft position. Anderson is a better candidate this year than Ball was last year, but this time last year most fans weren't convinced the Broncos had someone who could take over and perform if Ball went down.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Traffic Reporter posted:

I have the option of keeping Eddie Lacy or CJ Anderson and I keep second guessing myself. Lacy definitely has the track record, but I'm worried about him staying 100% healthy all season.

Why? Honest question. He's missed one game his first two years. Lacy is a legit candidate for the first pick, is way more established and has virtually no competition, and he'll be playing with Rodgers for the next few years at least. No idea why you're second guessing keeping him, and especially if CJ Anderson is the other guy you're considering.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Agreed, Lacy is a no-brainer in your situation.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The Broncos have a ton of RB depth. Anderson is far from a sure thing. He has looked good, and while most people think he will have a good year, he's still a fairly risky pick.

There's also a shitload of revisionism about Montee Ball. Because he crashed and burned so badly last year, magically everybody everywhere claims they called it, despite his consensus 2nd round draft position. Anderson is a better candidate this year than Ball was last year, but this time last year most fans weren't convinced the Broncos had someone who could take over and perform if Ball went down.

Just because he was projected by "experts" doesn't mean this board didn't overwhelmingly hate him. (Mostly they just thought he was overrated. I don't think they expected him to flame out so spectacularly, just not match his ADP.)

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

RVProfootballer posted:

No idea why you're second guessing keeping him, and especially if CJ Anderson is the other guy you're considering.

Just overthinking things. Thanks guys :)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

MacheteZombie posted:

Agreed, Lacy is a no-brainer in your situation.

He'll be a no-brainer in all situations if his concussions keep up

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After removing keepers, this is my overall list at the top and it is horrifying. Who do you guys think should move up the list? I have additional picks after trading away players from last team's poo poo house team who I re-named Nick Foles and the Assholes. Now I have Sammy Watkins as my keeper (!) and I think I'm going to be hosed again.

Jamaal Charles
CJ Anderson
Demaryius Thomas
Rob Gronkowski
Dez Bryant
Jeremy Hill
Odell Beckham, Jr
Jordy Nelson
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
AJ Green
Alshon Jeffery
T.Y. Hilton
Mark Ingram
Mike Evans
Emmanuel Sanders
Alfred Morris
Lamar Miller
Kelvin Benjamin
DeAndre Hopkins
Jimmy Graham
Carlos Hyde
Justin Forsett
Russell Wilson
Melvin Gordon
Peyton Manning
Jordan Matthews

(14 teams, normal scoring, snake draft)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

After removing keepers, this is my overall list at the top and it is horrifying. Who do you guys think should move up the list? I have additional picks after trading away players from last team's poo poo house team who I re-named Nick Foles and the Assholes. Now I have Sammy Watkins as my keeper (!) and I think I'm going to be hosed again.

Jamaal Charles
CJ Anderson
Demaryius Thomas
Rob Gronkowski
Dez Bryant
Jeremy Hill
Odell Beckham, Jr
Jordy Nelson
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
AJ Green
Alshon Jeffery
T.Y. Hilton
Mark Ingram
Mike Evans
Emmanuel Sanders
Alfred Morris
Lamar Miller
Kelvin Benjamin
DeAndre Hopkins
Jimmy Graham
Carlos Hyde
Justin Forsett
Russell Wilson
Melvin Gordon
Peyton Manning
Jordan Matthews

(14 teams, normal scoring, snake draft)

is this the list of guys who will be available? If so, who do you have on your roster?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yes and I have Sammy Watkins. That's it. You probably don't need to quote that post though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
guys we think Andre Ellington can bear this load unencumbered - Bruce Arians, liar

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chris Johnson just stole carries from Andre Ellington. That guy will never be the Jamaal Charles clone I imagined him to be.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

kiimo posted:

Yes and I have Sammy Watkins. That's it. You probably don't need to quote that post though.

I don't understand. That is a list of available players? Why are guys like Hill, OBJ, and Mike Evans not being kept?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Traffic Reporter posted:

I haven't really kept up with the Broncos either, is he in danger of ending up in some nightmare committee backfield?

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Y'all I solved your problem a page ago

Benne posted:

Gary Kubiak doesn't do timeshares hth

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Alrighty, here's the updated excel sheet. Columns I added are highlighted. You should be able to copy-paste any new data array into here and have it work, but you will need to sort the data (i.e. the unlighted bits) by "Average" (column S).

I currently have it set to include players within 2/3 of a standard deviation of the mean projection for that tier before moving on. This is the point at which a random projection moves from being more likely to have that player inside the tier to being more likely to have that player outside the tier, either above it or below it. You can change the size of the tiers as you see fit by changing the two instances of "2/3" in the formula in cell A3 (don't forget to change both).

Again, here's what I'm doing:
- Calculate the pooled variance of the current tier (this weights the variances by the sample sizes to give more emphasis to the players you have more projections for), and turn it into a pooled standard deviation.
- Calculate the mean of the current tier.
- Add the current player to the existing tier if it is within the cutoff from the mean (ie 2/3 SDs) and if the top player of the tier has not moved outside of the same distance from the mean from the lowered average.

It's a quick and dirty approximation but it should help fix the current emphasis on the exact values for the top player in each tier.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I hope the Chris Johnson signing brings Ellington's ADP down a little so I can easily get him in every league.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I survived my first draft, you guys

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

jabro posted:

You should ask them where they placed in their leagues! :v:

Hey now, that doesn't seem particularly fair for our league because I had inherited a bad team last year after the draft had already occurred, and in by-far the most competitive division!

One year later I now have a passable squad of vets, added 3 top-12 rookies in my first rookie draft (plus three more nice fliers), picked up an extra rookie 1st for next year, and accumulated a third of the first-round FA picks the year the startup contracts expire.

I'm holding my own. :colbert:

In my competitive redraft league I went to the championship (and lost, but still).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

coronaball posted:

I don't understand. That is a list of available players? Why are guys like Hill, OBJ, and Mike Evans not being kept?

We get one keeper. If a guy like OBJ is on a team with Lacy, he isn't going to be kept. We also have a 3-year contract rule. Charles has been kept 3 years so he goes back in the pool.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

He'll be a no-brainer in all situations if his concussions keep up

:hellyeah:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I draft 7th in my league and need some opinions on strategy. Here is the most likely scenario I see for picks 1-6 (it could go any order):

0.5 PPR 2 RB, 2WR, 1 Flex, TE

1. Bell
2. Manning/Rodgers (Owner likes QB's in the first and loves Manning for some reason)
3. Peterson
4. Brown
5. Charles
6. Lacy

If any of those 6 drop to me at 7, I would grab them. Here are the guys I am targeting given the above scenario

1. Dez Bryant
2. Marshawn Lynch
3. CJ Anderson

I am having a tough time deciding the best play here and would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the safest bet. I also projected what would be available in Round 2 so I could judge whether an RB or WR would be better in the first. At pick 2.6, I think I should have one or more o the following available;

Jeremy Hill
Jordy Nelson
AJ Green
Justin Forsett
Randall Cobb
Rob Gronkowski

I know that I am overthinking this but would appreciate some thoughts on the best options for the first two rounds.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
PPR or standard? Also, how many/kinds of Flex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Thwomp posted:

PPR or standard? Also, how many/kinds of Flex?

God I'm terrible, sorry. 0.5 PPR 2 RB, 2WR, 1 Flex, TE

• Locked thread