Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gort posted:

Well, figurehead might be a bit literal, in that the event actually requires your ruler to die.

I just love the picture of a monarch going over stacks of papers that he has signed, getting flustered, and saying "Well, I guess you guys are right. The forms say so right here. It's time for me to die." :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
That can just be mechanics though. It seems easier for the bureaucracy to render the monarch powerless than to say "Well, due to Clause 17 of Article 24C, the king must be executed."

More specific to my situation, the fully-reformed Inti church would be a little weird without a god-king. A powerless, isolated god-king made sense in the situation. An actual republic would be more drastic a change :v:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

OneTwentySix posted:

Has anyone else noticed a bug where after winning a siege against an enemy fort, you lose military tradition? It doesn't happen all the time, but my MT has been dropping like crazy - 0.3-4 each month as normal, but then sometimes I gain a few points of MT after winning a siege, and sometimes I lose it. I'm not losing battles, I'm not losing sieges of my own, I'm just losing tradition on some siege wins.

Managed to get a screenshot of it happening.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yikes, that's a drop of 2 whole points of AT.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It doesn't always happen, or else I'd be at 0 AT, but it's enough. Most of the game, I was 96-100 AT, and then once I checked and it was at 80 and I was completely stumped. I've been having problems ever since; whatever's causing the problem, it's triggering the loss on siege more often than the gain. The only reason it's as high as it is right now is that I got that event that give you 20 AT, I was triggering the Jannisaries decadence event for a little bit, which was really annoying; I don't really need them at this point, but it's the principle of the thing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

OneTwentySix posted:

I can't tell from your screenshot - did you siege down a castle? They're really obsolete at that time period, I wonder if Paradox decided to make sieging down obsolete forts give you negative AT. Which would be silly, it should at least just give you zero.

Most likely just a bug.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

I can't tell from your screenshot - did you siege down a castle? They're really obsolete at that time period, I wonder if Paradox decided to make sieging down obsolete forts give you negative AT. Which would be silly, it should at least just give you zero.

Most likely just a bug.

That would be my wild guess as to the bug, maybe AT is scaled to the fort level? And for some reason it's calculating obsolete forts as granting negative AT.

I'll keep an eye out for it. See if you can isolate whether it's happening on fully upgraded forts or only obsolete ones.

Edit: or possibly garrison size, maybe if it's an incomplete garrison?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Pasai was a capital province, no fort, so I wonder if that's messing up the AT calculations? Something in the formula that might have something to do with me having a massive amount of forts, too?

I'll keep watching to see if it happens anywhere else. I'm at 97.2 AT again, November 1725, so it couldn't have fired much since then.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OneTwentySix posted:

1.12 or 1.13?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

1.13. I am pretty sure it has something to do with capitals that have no fort, but it could be more.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OneTwentySix posted:

1.13. I am pretty sure it has something to do with capitals that have no fort, but it could be more.

Weird - this issue should be fixed in 1.13. I'll look at it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wiz is there any chance you could rework Rome being a requirement for Northern Italy staying in the HRE? Austria just seem to ally them too often, preventing them from keeping the HRE together. I also always assumed that the Papal States/The Pope is the secular arm while the Emperor was the worldly arm, so it would make sense for the two of them to work together.

I guess the AI just doesn't fully understand how that Italy things works.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tahirovic posted:

Wiz is there any chance you could rework Rome being a requirement for Northern Italy staying in the HRE? Austria just seem to ally them too often, preventing them from keeping the HRE together. I also always assumed that the Papal States/The Pope is the secular arm while the Emperor was the worldly arm, so it would make sense for the two of them to work together.

I guess the AI just doesn't fully understand how that Italy things works.

The AI isn't really meant to try and keep Italy in the Empire.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One question about AE management: Is it cheaper to enforce a PU than normal vassalisation? Doing it to Provence in a BigBlueBlob attempt is a bad idea because of the 50y time out, but would it be worthwhile otherwise?

Some other minor observations on BBB: You don't have to eat through England to get to Skandinavia if you manage to take East Friesia which is a conveniently placed non HRE province. France has the most Cardinals at the start of the game and the Pope is old. You have a pretty good chance of snagging Curia controller which helps a lot, especially with AE.

Inheriting all of Burgundy can be done just with alliances with two electors if you beat Austria enough. FRA comes before all countries in the HRE so two will often be enough though it is nearly completely luck dependent. Not least of all you have to hope that Burgundy doesn't get conditioned to death. I managed it once, but what then stumbled in a coalition war with all of the HRE.

In my current run I managed to get a Valois on the Bohemian throne and then dragged them into a war so the Heretics marching on Prague event doesn't fire. But now it is 1450, they have no heir and I wonder if I should hit the button. I don't see any war I could start that they would join until 1457 and they'll anyway get a heir any moment now. I really miss Crusader Kings' murder options. If Jan Petr just died now I'd only have to beat Bavaria, but realistically no chance of that.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

One question about AE management: Is it cheaper to enforce a PU than normal vassalisation? Doing it to Provence in a BigBlueBlob attempt is a bad idea because of the 50y time out, but would it be worthwhile otherwise?

Enforcing a PU is always the cheapest AE wise. (It's even cheaper then reconquest) The only problem is that it is an all or nothing option. Which can lead to problems if you get >100 AE with the entirety of europe.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Ottomans took two Mamluke provinces that weren't contiguous with the ottoman main land. I (Genoa) took a province next door and the Ottomans got the colonialism CB on me. That seems a little...off...

Does that CB apply to all distant overseas everywhere? Or was it wonky because the two Ottoman provinces weren't part of mainland Ottoman.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Wiz posted:

Weird - this issue should be fixed in 1.13. I'll look at it.

If a save would help, it's a local ironman so I have one if needed.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Elendil004 posted:

The Ottomans took two Mamluke provinces that weren't contiguous with the ottoman main land. I (Genoa) took a province next door and the Ottomans got the colonialism CB on me. That seems a little...off...

Does that CB apply to all distant overseas everywhere? Or was it wonky because the two Ottoman provinces weren't part of mainland Ottoman.

Since the Ottomans are European, an Asian or African province that they can't walk to is a colony to them. You had colonies next to each other, so, colonialism.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elendil004 posted:

It's because they aren't mainland. Presumably those provinces are in Africa, which means they count as distant overseas without a direct land connection. Which is how you core stuff for mad cheap, by just refusing to connect provinces to the main body of your empire.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

genericnick posted:

Some other minor observations on BBB: You don't have to eat through England to get to Skandinavia if you manage to take East Friesia which is a conveniently placed non HRE province. France has the most Cardinals at the start of the game and the Pope is old. You have a pretty good chance of snagging Curia controller which helps a lot, especially with AE.

I must be missing out on some deep strat, but what would France want with Scandinavia...?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

anti_strunt posted:

I must be missing out on some deep strat, but what would France want with Scandinavia...?

Cheap crappy provinces to go over 100 before 1500.

Edit: And Podebrand at 1456. Should have pushed the button.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 17, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's super cheap to core.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also France has a very short leash when it comes to swallowing up your immediate neighbors so if you're going for Big Blue Blob you need to expand somewhere and jumping into Scandinavia makes things much easier than dealing with the HRE and continent-wide coalitions.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

anti_strunt posted:

(to spell it out in case the previous posts are opaque)

The Big Blue Blob achievement requires you to own 100 cores as France by 1500. The easiest way to do that is low-development provinces outside of the HRE because they're cheaper to core and also less likely to result in coalition. Scandinavia is the best choice for that reason.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's cool, I got back at the ottomans by shoving Austria and Poland/Lith into a war (while they were invading more Mamluke land) and taking everything that borders the bosporus. Deny ME access to the Black Sea, will you!?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jackson Taus posted:

The Big Blue Blob achievement requires you to own 100 cores as France by 1500. The easiest way to do that is low-development provinces outside of the HRE because they're cheaper to core and also less likely to result in coalition. Scandinavia is the best choice for that reason.

Mamluks could also work. Would have the added benefit of being distant oversees so super cheap coring on top of their poo poo development.

Edit: oh wait they have to be in Europe. Never mind

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Hey Wiz, is anyone looking into the constant desynchs in multiplayer? It's making the game near unplayable right now and it's been this way since common sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When he came back from vacation Wiz said they want to fix those in the final version of 1.13.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So do cloud saves not work in the Beta? Or is it because I'm playing in germany? For some reason or another all the cloud options are grayed out, but i definitely have connection

Edit: Ignore me, I'm an idiot who forgot to turn on cloud syncing :bang:

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 17, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Thanks, achievements makes sense, and I guess explains why I never thought to do it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any suggestions to get a game as Ceylon or Ayutthaya started for the achievements?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haven't played a Ceylon game but for Ayutthaya it's all about making a good alliance at the start of the game so that your neighbors don't gang up on you. I had a lot of luck teaming up with Dai Viet in my game, which was nice since they're decently strong but are still in the corner of the peninsula and right up against Ming, so they can't really expand and get too big for you to eventually backstab anyway. Annex Ligor ASAP to get access to all those island nations below you, which should be relatively easy pickings since they pretty much all hate each other. From there you just kind of pick off your neighbors one by one until you get big enough to start pushing into India and stealing some of their trade nodes. Alternatively just hang out and colonize the spice islands and get rich that way. Then just sit around and hope Ming blows up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ayutthaya's not bad, just try and manage your northern vs. southern AE. Try and be diplomatic with the northern conquests (maybe move slowly, let the Lan Na/Xang/Pegu/Hsenwi/friends thunderdome happen, and then vassalize someone that has a lot of cores to retake) and for the love of God don't piss off Ming. Be as aggressive as you want with the south, but it's all wrong religion and you may have to go Religious ideas first if that's your plan. If they coalition you, kill them again. Some heavies to block the Malaccan strait would really help, and you'll need some kind of naval power anyway for when you start kicking Brunei. You do get a bonus 20% religious unity for your national ideas, but unfortunately most of your ideas aren't great. As soon as you gain control of the Malaccan trade node you're set for life on income, so prioritize the important centers of trade.

You're buddhist (the worst kind of buddhist, although I wouldn't recommend switching unless you're really into Vajrayana's 10% army morale) so you'll have to deal with that pain-in-the-rear end karma slider. Honestly I tried to manage it for a long time but finally gave up and just pegged it at -100%. It gives you -10% discipline but with an advisor and some good ideas you can at least get back to 100%. I recommend offensive both for the discipline and because when you finally take Ming on, you're going to want that siege ability because they have a million forts.

The Ayutthaya achievement is for owning all of Indochina as Ayutthaya, and if Ming explodes spectacularly it isn't a very hard challenge. Getting started, sure, but once you blob sufficiently you'll be fine. If Ming becomes a +3 stab monster and never loses the Mandate, as they have in all my games since CS, you may be in for a rough time if they take a few provinces required for the achievement. Find whatever friends you can - I allied Oirat, who never really did much. You could take Defensive, use your income to build a ton of forts, and then let them lose all their guys to attrition. If you can't flat-out beat them, that's probably the best way to do it. If you want to be cheesy, land some guys on that three-province island near Canton, wait for Ming to send a 50-stack to take care of them, and then block the strait with your navy.

After you get the achievement I recommend you ensure your majority culture is Malaccan, shift your capital to Malacca, form Malaya for the achievement, and then go west and try and accomplish That's a Silk Road :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of achievements, what's a fun start to get the Netherlands ones (forming with a Dutch minor and Orangists)? Holland seems like the obvious choice, but have the whole vassal-of-Burgundy thing going, while the other options are smaller but in the HRE. Any good Hot Tips™ for fun starts and alliance targets?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's the same as it always was. Start with your minor of choice, get France to support your independence, annihilate Burgundy, do whatever.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trujillo posted:

Hey Wiz, is anyone looking into the constant desynchs in multiplayer? It's making the game near unplayable right now and it's been this way since common sense.

Yes, they're proving very tricky to track down though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's really annoying that your vassals in the HRE can accept an emperor's request for unlawful territory without you getting a say in the matter. Would be nice if I got that popup instead, at least if the vassal is under a certain % liberty desire.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is there any mods that improve playing as a native in the Americas? Just some increased province development, or anything, would be good.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

VDay posted:

Speaking of achievements, what's a fun start to get the Netherlands ones (forming with a Dutch minor and Orangists)? Holland seems like the obvious choice, but have the whole vassal-of-Burgundy thing going, while the other options are smaller but in the HRE. Any good Hot Tips™ for fun starts and alliance targets?

Neat trick: If you aren't independent, AE doesn't matter. No one can coalition you.

Declare an independence war, grab as much territory as you like, and choose not to enforce the independence CB. You'll get a couple of decades to burn off all the AE, if you're lucky - the union will almost certainly break on monarch death and negative prestige anyway.

You can also do this as Sweden. Eat all of Norway during your first independence war but stay under the union; do the same with Denmark in the next one, form Scandinavia painlessly.

Tradeoff is you're stuck under a PU for loving ever but you'd be boxed in by a massive coalition anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait they didn't patch out the controlling elector penalty for PUs? Ah well.
In about 50% of my test games Burgundy ate Lorraine and Barois and then gets coalitioned to death. By at least four different coalitions started one after the other. Are coalitions supposed to work like that?

• Locked thread