Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the best way to fix a Linux is to replace it with windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

i mean must i honestly remind you that YUM, and even DNF, is written in python

notably rpm is not

(because it would really suck to try and replace the python packages if the package system were written in python)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the best way to fix a Linux is to replace it with windows

the best way to fix a windows shop is to quit and find a job with non-idiots

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fixing a broken system is configuration management. if the system python is broken due to a hosed patch or something, i want cfg management to fix it, not barf

good configuration management tools don't depend on the system. ansible is excluded from the category, for this among many reasons

of course cm tools depend on the system you idiot. how do you think modules like package work. how do you think ohai and facter work. lol man alive you're dumb

https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#package-attribute-provider

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

of course cm tools depend on the system you idiot. how do you think modules like package work. how do you think ohai and facter work. lol man alive you're dumb

https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#package-attribute-provider
ohai and facter both use private runtimes installed in /opt.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Smythe posted:

google is free if ur a nonprofit :smug:

i'm a nonprofit

but not in the way they probably mean

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

armchair autism
Seriously mods please

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ohai and facter both use private runtimes installed in /opt.

not talking about the runtime you dolt

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
on the other hand, running a mail server is actually really easy, killing spam on it is really easy, I set up a postfix/mysql/dovecot thing on a linode last month, only had to kick it off the barracuda listing which was easy

and I only have to pay $10/mo, not $5/user

keeping ssl going is some bullshit, though, can't wait for letsencrypt

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the problem with running a mail server isnt that its hard. its that your outbound mail will definitely be flagged by blacklist services randomly, or end up in peoples spam boxes. not to mention that dude probably doesnt know about SPF records or anything else

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, if I didn't already know this stuff or if I had to make a cost benefit thing by comparing it to billing myself for those hours I wouldn't do it and would just do office 365 or some thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

i mean must i honestly remind you that YUM, and even DNF, is written in python

no, you don't have to remind us, yum reminds us itself every time we run it and it takes five minutes to do anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bsd is under the impression that if python is hosed on a rhel system (thus making ansible inop) that chef and puppet can magically fix it. because they apparently don't use yum or dnf to install or manage packages (hint they do)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes tragically stupid. ansible and chef and puppet and salt all essentially do the same thing, and work the same way. the only difference is chef and puppet are intended for lifecycle management, which is why they live on the box and are intended to connect to a master

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
neither chef nor puppet has a working sdlc story right now

the chef vendor is working on a huge enterprise-y closed source sdlc tool called 'delivery' but i don't really have high hopes for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

bsd is under the impression that if python is hosed on a rhel system (thus making ansible inop) that chef and puppet can magically fix it. because they apparently don't use yum or dnf to install or manage packages (hint they do)

this is a major deficiency in red hat which debian does not share

i kinda hope the vmware replacement for dnf catches on

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

neither chef nor puppet has a working sdlc story right now

the chef vendor is working on a huge enterprise-y closed source sdlc tool called 'delivery' but i don't really have high hopes for it

same but yr posting

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just got back to working with fedora 22 and the gnome 3 feels nicer and all but

how do I hide the menu bar forever on gnome-terminal, what the hell happened why can't I hide it forever anymore aaaaa

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
right-click, uncheck "Show menubar"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

right-click, uncheck "Show menubar"

but then when I open a new window it appears again, I have to do this every time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this seems like something you'd stick in the preferences, perhaps at the very top of the very first tab in order to make it really easy for the user to find

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Edit -> Preferences -> uncheck "Show menubar by default in new terminals"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
just started a new job today and was given a 27" or 29" late 2013 imac, 3.5GHz i7 and 8GB RAM, immediately improved it by installing linux

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Lysidas posted:

just started a new job today and was given a 27" or 29" late 2013 imac, 3.5GHz i7 and 8GB RAM, immediately improved ruined it by installing linux

FTFY

pram
Jun 10, 2001
literally pearls before swine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lysidas posted:

just started a new job today and was given a 27" or 29" late 2013 imac, 3.5GHz i7 and 8GB RAM, immediately improved it by installing linux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbg1nEXQ1fI&t=39s

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
you put the worst desktop non-unix on something that was running the best desktop unix. you made a terrible mistake.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Lysidas posted:

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Lysidas posted:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

worst desktop non-unix

have you seen windows anytime in the past 5 years? it's like looking into the abyss

pram
Jun 10, 2001

so loving future posted:

have you seen windows anytime in the past 5 years?

no

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

so loving future posted:

have you seen windows anytime in the past 5 years? it's like looking into the abyss

on the other hand linux on the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

smart move

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ruby idiot railed posted:

on the other hand linux on the desktop

unironically better than windows

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

lmao

isn't linux still loving slow to get from boot to desktop?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

translation: nvidia's driver is terrible on suspend/resume and that's all we support

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

this seems like something you'd stick in the preferences, perhaps at the very top of the very first tab in order to make it really easy for the user to find

Suspicious Dish posted:

Edit -> Preferences -> uncheck "Show menubar by default in new terminals"

oh my god I'm sorry I was freaking over this because I thought this option used to be on Profile Preferences

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soldier of Fortran posted:

lmao

isn't linux still loving slow to get from boot to desktop?

it's pretty fast since :byodood: systemd :byodood: came on the scene

a typical ssd-having computer will boot linux in about five seconds these days, which is probably fast enough for most ppl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

who cares about boot times, just suspend to ram imo