Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't like Mage Knight but I accept that it is not a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Do you know your dice games?

From my GCL (Global Chat League) geeklist for this week. Thought it might be fun for you guys.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm sure it has been posted (I've seen it mentioned) but I seriously can't believe this is a thing. http://wizkids.com/star-trek-frontiers/

I didn't know this was a thing and now it's all I can think about. Especially if they iron out some MK rules for it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SlyFrog posted:

I do not get Mage Knight having dense rules.

I mean sure, it's not Carcassone. But Advanced Squad Leader and Magic Realm (both of which I own and have played several times) are "dense rules."

Mage Knight is actually fairly straightforward, in the sense that you can take your time in the first game, look poo poo up as you go along, and generally be fine.

It's not 1980 anymore though. Game design has advanced tremendously, and criteria of what's considered light vs heavy has changed. Magic Realm is firmly in the "loving trainwreck" category now

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Huxley posted:

I didn't know this was a thing and now it's all I can think about. Especially if they iron out some MK rules for it.

They won't. Vladda isn't involved, so it will likely go the same cargo cult path that their X-Wing licensed games did.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crackbone posted:

They won't. Vladda isn't involved, so it will likely go the same cargo cult path that their X-Wing licensed games did.

Star Trek. I wish Mage Knight went to FFG, even if it would have been rethemed into 40k or Star Wars or whatever. At least FFG has their components game down, and I'd rather take monocolor miniatures over the slop jobs that WK packs in.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
FFG would retheme Mage Knight as Jedi Knight. I would be more than ok with that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm sure it has been posted (I've seen it mentioned) but I seriously can't believe this is a thing. http://wizkids.com/star-trek-frontiers/

I wonder if it is going to have it's own mechanics, or if it will just be a basic re-skin of Mage Knight. I hope they are close enough that I can play the two systems together :twisted:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rutibex posted:

I wonder if it is going to have it's own mechanics, or if it will just be a basic re-skin of Mage Knight. I hope they are close enough that I can play the two systems together :twisted:

Have you considered adapting the Mage Knight mechanics (the deckbuilding and such) and applying it to Talisman? Convert all the Talisman heroes and monsters and uh...throw away the events?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

FFG would retheme Mage Knight as Jedi Knight. I would be more than ok with that.

This would not be ok, it would be brilliant. Except it should probably be Sith Knight, because you can bet your rear end I would burn down just as many villages and whatever the monastery equivalent would be.

Rutibex posted:

PvP on, Arythea vs Enterprise. Or just Enterprise vs Volkare. :getin:

In other news, my Shades of Tezla just arrived, and I even got an extra thingie in addition to the bad components: A Krang character card! For which I have no use! Hooray!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

Have you considered adapting the Mage Knight mechanics (the deckbuilding and such) and applying it to Talisman? Convert all the Talisman heroes and monsters and uh...throw away the events?

If I was going to do that I would re-purpose the map tiles for use with Talisman event cards, not the other way around. The event cards are what make Talisman, the board is mostly blank spaces that just say "draw an event card".

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It also seems like it doesn't fit the universe all that well.

You start the game as the captain of your Federation star ship and what? Proceed to the map edge, reveal new unexplored space, and smash the first friendly planet you encounter to steal their priceless space relic?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

It also seems like it doesn't fit the universe all that well.

You start the game as the captain of your Federation star ship and what? Proceed to the map edge, reveal new unexplored space, and smash the first friendly planet you encounter to steal their priceless space relic?

Maybe you are playing as the Klingons or the Borg or something? The Federation faction doesn't conquer planets, they have to play influence cards to make them members of the Federation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Maybe you are playing as the Klingons or the Borg or something? The Federation faction doesn't conquer planets, they have to play influence cards to make them members of the Federation.

That would be pretty awesome, actually. Romulan, Klingon, Borg, and Cardassian ships gather powerful ship upgrades and add from alien worlds to their crews to lead attacks on Federation outposts and finally whole starbases.

Which would finally settle the whole thematic MK problem of, "are we the good guys or the bad guys?"

We are the bad guys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There has never been any doubt that MKs are the bad guys.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

This would not be ok, it would be brilliant. Except it should probably be Sith Knight, because you can bet your rear end I would burn down just as many villages and whatever the monastery equivalent would be.

The good/evil bar is just the light/dark side meter, like in Knights of the Old Republic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goddamnit. Now I am going to buy some Sith miniatures and make a conversion of Mage Knight to Sith Lord.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Andarel posted:

Amusingly, Mage Knight was definitely influenced by Magic Realm and the rulebook for Magic Realm is pretty hideous (except the fan-organized Third Edition rules that are very good but extremely long). I've played MK several times and we've had rules issues in all of them, but it's mostly because "looking poo poo up" involves the nontrivial task of actually finding things in the book. That said, the rules aren't that complicated.

That's a much better way than I said it. The rulebook is one of the modern "let's spread poo poo across two different rulebooks in strange places" types, that are intended to "teach" but just end up being irritating.

But the actual rules themselves are pretty straightforward, and not particularly complicated.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ People keep saying this but every single rule is either in the rulebook or the site cards (the rulebook literally mentions this in the very first page).

Fat Samurai posted:

This. The entire game is about invading an empire and pillaging your way through it in the service of some shady "Council of the Void". The player characters literally sold their souls to the devil in order to become super powerful.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

BonHair posted:

In other news, my Shades of Tezla just arrived, and I even got an extra thingie in addition to the bad components: A Krang character card! For which I have no use! Hooray!

That's intentional. It's a corrected card for Krang.

The original Krang was printed with the wrong card back, matching the Action cards instead of the character cards. The new one has the correct back, so you can use the cards to randomize character selection.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Klingons are Arythea, since they're the least likely to care about eating a ton of face damage to get the job done.

The Borg are clearly Norowas, for obvious reasons.

The Cardassians are Goldyx, good at acquiring a ton of resources and putting them to best use.

The Romulans are Tovak, because they are the two who are left.

You could make an argument for swapping Romulans (willing to do whatever it takes) with the Klingons (best at fighting)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 17, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

As someone who just saw Heart of Glory for the first time, yeah, klingons should be tovak.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ojetor posted:

^^^^ People keep saying this but every single rule is either in the rulebook or the site cards (the rulebook literally mentions this in the very first page).

I really thought I had to go across rulebooks when I first played it for some small things, but perhaps that is incorrect.

Personally, my biggest issue is just the two rulebook thing in general. It's silly, and it took me a bit to figure out what you were even pointing at. It would have been much clearer if they really directed you to the rulebook, and had the scenario book more clearly be an example of play or something similar.

Next, I'll rant again about the Through the Ages rulebook.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

all rulebooks should be wargame technical manuals, inshallah

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Fat Samurai posted:

I sell the game to people as you are an rear end in a top hat god king burning monasteries across the countryside threatening people along the way. And you get more famous for doing it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Myth is a good game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

The Klingons are Arythea, since they're the least likely to care about eating a ton of face damage to get the job done.

The Cardassians are Goldyx, good at acquiring a ton of resources and putting them to best use.

You could make an argument for swapping Romulans (willing to do whatever it takes) with the Klingons (best at fighting)

So would this make The Enterprise Volkare? I would play that, come on Whiz Kids make it so!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

So would this make The Enterprise Volkare? I would play that, come on Whiz Kids make it so!

This would absolutely rule. If every idea this thread has produced this morning doesn't turn out to be the real game I'm going to be disappointed.

They'll probably still find a way to make anonymous federation ships the MKs and it won't make any lore sense just so they can put the TNG cast on the box. Maybe they'll let us be enemy races but still put the TNG cast on the box, then new players can get that surprise.

OH MAN, and the enemy tokens can be the color of shirts of the federation officers you kill, so you can swap the green rampaging orc tokens to red and have all the basic enemies be redshirts you just stomp over. I am falling dangerously in love with my own ideas too much ever to appreciate what it actually turns out to be.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Huxley posted:

The Tholians are Wolfhawk, because they suck, you probably forgot they even existed, and no one in their right mind would ever play them when you could be a goddamn Klingon

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
If there was a way to fit the Breen in there that would be good. Not sure of Krang is mysterious enough.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The End posted:

Except Skull is a better version of it, and can be proxied with some playing cards or a bunch of coasters and a sharpie /curmudgeon

I like welcome to the dungeon better because it has more space to play in. Skull, you pretty much say "I'm bluffing" or " I'm going for it" at the start of the round and hope things fly your way. You only have 4 discs at best so people (at least in our group) tend to start bidding really soon. Like, not around the table once soon. Then it's just a read of the bids vs. that bluff/not-bluff decision. Dungeon, I feel I has wriggle room to change the space during play more than Skull. It helps that the space doesn't freeze at someone's whim.

In actual play, I think Welcome to the Dungeon is more like Liars Dice than Skull but hey 2 points and you win makes it the same game, right?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Oh goodies. I finally caught up with the thread and find you are "discussing" the Trek MK game. I'm super excited :neckbeard: Don't ruin it for me.

I'm assuming it will be like Fleet Captains, an anachronistic mix of TOS and TNG. They mention the Borg in their description which aren't in NuTrek.

Huxley posted:

The Borg are obviously Voltare, a big gently caress off cube wandering around and wrecking your poo poo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cocks Cable posted:

Oh goodies. I finally caught up with the thread and find you are "discussing" the Trek MK game. I'm super excited :neckbeard: Don't ruin it for me.

It's not actually made by Vlaada; it's made by a lovely dude who has released some of the biggest flops in recent memory using Vlaada's game as a base. Also, we have no idea how it's going to work if the Federation is playable given that Mage Knight is about pillaging, razing, and destroying.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

It's not actually made by Vlaada; it's made by a lovely dude who has released some of the biggest flops in recent memory using Vlaada's game as a base. Also, we have no idea how it's going to work if the Federation is playable given that Mage Knight is about pillaging, razing, and destroying.

I think the answer is probably "it won't work, because the designer will remove the razing and destroying, not replace it with a mechanical analog, add some additional mechanic that only superficially addresses the issue, and call it day."

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Yeah I'm definitely thinking there's going to be some serious disconnect between between characters and their abilities; maybe the yellow units will be like Q and it'll have a poorly cropped screencap from tng of Q making a goofy face with an odd flavor quote.

Like influence will be tractor beam power, and you recruit multiple rikers by beaming him up from the various ds9s every 2 to 3 tiles

This game will make no sense

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 17, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Sidenote: If I can play as a Pakled, that's a guaranteed day 1 purchase.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Come on guys, it's easy. Planets will be surveyed for artifacts and then get all charted out and supercomputer says there's no more artifacts to survey for.

Inhabitants stop talking to you because you took all their artifacts.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And then you burn monasteries.

EDIT: Don't worry, they were evil religions.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Broken Loose posted:

Sidenote: If I can play as a Pakled, that's a guaranteed day 1 purchase.

I hate that know what you're referring to without having to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just pretend it's mirror universe Trek and you fly around burning planets to the ground :v:

Broken Loose posted:

No. No. It says Vlaada right there on the BGG page and those things are never wrong. He's list as the designer right there at the top. And I guess some Parks guy is like helping him or something. Probably just an intern.