Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

We got Sword Trunks, Armor Trunks, Time Patrol Trunks (a wholly owned subsidiary of Armor Trunks), GT Trunks, Infant Trunks, Kid Trunks, too many Trunkseses to shake a stick at. And most of them can transform and or fuse too! Trunks-a-plenty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Future Trunks is probably the only character to surrender from his own big fight, he just flat out acknowledged that he sucked and couldn't touch Cell. I guess whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the viewer

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Future Trunks is probably the only character to surrender from his own big fight, he just flat out acknowledged that he sucked and couldn't touch Cell. I guess whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the viewer

"Just kill me already" is the worst reaction to anything.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Darko posted:

"Just kill me already" is the worst reaction to anything.

There's Vegeta just stopping and crying against Freeza too. Maybe it's the genes?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the other had he didn't pass out from sheer exhaustion performing a super ultimate final attack which achieved absolutely nothing

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

projecthalaxy posted:

We got Sword Trunks, Armor Trunks, Time Patrol Trunks (a wholly owned subsidiary of Armor Trunks), GT Trunks, Infant Trunks, Kid Trunks, too many Trunkseses to shake a stick at. And most of them can transform and or fuse too! Trunks-a-plenty!

You forgot Long Hair Tank-top Trunks, the best Trunks.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Don't forget Handsome Future Future Trunks that kills cell and Offscreen Trunks that was killed by cell

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

You forgot Long Hair Tank-top Trunks, the best Trunks.

Ruggington posted:

Don't forget Handsome Future Future Trunks that kills cell and Offscreen Trunks that was killed by cell

That's enough Trunks to form a baseball team. They would not have good social skills, but I bet they could defeat Yamcha's baseball team.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

That's enough Trunks to form a baseball team. They would not have good social skills, but I bet they could defeat Yamcha's baseball team.

A single Trunks would beat Yamcha's baseball team.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Trunks who got killed by an insect man, a Trunks who dated an old woman, a Trunks who got too swole for his own good, I knew them all

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Steampunk Gent posted:

A Trunks who got killed by an insect man, a Trunks who dated an old woman, a Trunks who got too swole for his own good, I knew them all

Goku vs Caius when?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Goku vs Caius when?

Goku isn't powerful enough to fight Cauis

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Goku isn't powerful enough to fight Cauis

He could at least try.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Kid Trunks is better than Future Trunks because I never watched the Cell saga as a kid

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Does Fedora count as an honorary Trunks?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Maybe it's just me but those jokes have been so beaten into the ground that I just sigh rather than laugh.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Does Fedora count as an honorary Trunks?

Why did they make Sword Trunks a redditor? What's the joke there? Like I haven't read Buttlord GT in a while but everyone else was at least an aspect of the original character blown up. Where are they getting this. I don't like it. It's basically libel.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

facebook jihad posted:

See, this is what confuses me. People always bring up Nappa as an example of someone who can't manipulate his power level, but that is clearly not the case. He has a stated power level of 4000 but after powering up he can handle Goku when he's calm, who is double that. I guess he can't shrink his power level, but he and others can definitely increase it.

Back up, maybe my memory is faulty, but as far as I can recall Nappa couldn't handle a raspberry schnapps let alone Goku. I remember Goku picking Nappa apart like he was loving nothing.

The "powering up" on most guys is just an anime thing, I think. In the same way that in the anime powering up involves standing around yelling for five minutes instead of just an instant burst, you have characters "powering up" when they shouldn't be capable of it. It's same thing as how, on the wiki and in the games every ki attack a character does has a name, when in actuality, like someone else said, only the top dudes in Freeza's army have special attacks. I think it's just Vegeta, the Ginyus and Freeza himself, and even then I don't think Freeza named any of his moves.

I'm not saying the anime is terrible swine for doing this poo poo or anything, it's not like they knew powering up was gonna be a limited skill. Just like how the people making the One Piece anime couldn't have known that Zoro not being able to cut steel would be a big deal before Alabasta, and just have him slicing up metal chains and poo poo in a filler episode.

Saying Future Trunks sucks because he jobs out to everyone isn't really fair, since he just inherited that trait from his father, who is a rad dude. And Trunk's intro was some of the coolest poo poo in the entirety of DBZ and forever makes him an awesome badass in my eyes, at least.

projecthalaxy posted:

Why did they make Sword Trunks a redditor? What's the joke there? Like I haven't read Buttlord GT in a while but everyone else was at least an aspect of the original character blown up. Where are they getting this. I don't like it. It's basically libel.

I don't recall Mr Huge being anything like Vegeta, actually. he isn't even a gaylien like Kevin.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Best Trunks is DB Heroes Trunks because he became a competent protector of humanity and figured out how to go SSJ3 assumably on his own, he became what people aanted Gohan to become

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now. Future Trunks becomes a member of the time patrol.

Where he literally does nothing but get shown up by complete nobodies, up to and including small children.

This is where I'd post the YouTube video of Time Patrol Trunks from Xenoverse saying "hey".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

projecthalaxy posted:

Trunks, in his first appearance, was basically the epitome of what kids would consider cool. He was a teenager that had a sword and a leather jacket, not to mention he was a super saiyan with boundless confidence. He radiated cool.

Buttlord's version is the kind of guy who thinks he's that level of cool, just because he has all the right accoutrements: the sword, the coat, even the hat. So it's lampooning the whole badass entrance of Trunks with his fancy swordplay by making him the kind of guy who would, in real life, own a sword and practice with it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Lot of really wrong Trunks opinions in this thread. Who could possibly be cooler than the guy who killed Freiza for good without breaking a sweat, then went back to his own time and beat everyone there and became earth's only hope against Buu, where he turns Super Saiyan 3 without being dead or fused?

Future Trunks for biggest badass.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Trunks, in his first appearance, was basically the epitome of what kids would consider cool. He was a teenager that had a sword and a leather jacket, not to mention he was a super saiyan with boundless confidence. He radiated cool.

Buttlord's version is the kind of guy who thinks he's that level of cool, just because he has all the right accoutrements: the sword, the coat, even the hat. So it's lampooning the whole badass entrance of Trunks with his fancy swordplay by making him the kind of guy who would, in real life, own a sword and practice with it.

I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Momomo posted:

. Who could possibly be cooler than the guy who killed Freiza for good without breaking a sweat, then went back to his own time and beat everyone there and became earth's only hope against Buu, where he turns Super Saiyan 3 without being dead or fused?

Well beerus except for that last part

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Honestly I don't like any Trunks all that much. Dorky hair imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Honestly I don't like any Trunks all that much. Dorky hair imo

His mother likes it!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This is my favorite hairstyle in the series. It's the pointiest possible hair. Plus it's on Armor Trunks who would easily defeat Beerus after 13 or whatever between cell and BoG years of training.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

His mother likes it!

He grew it himself!

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

projecthalaxy posted:

This is my favorite hairstyle in the series. It's the pointiest possible hair. Plus it's on Armor Trunks who would easily defeat Beerus after 13 or whatever between cell and BoG years of training.

projecthalaxy posted:

He thinks hes cool but hes not.

Also now that I'm older I know that Frieza getting owned was just a way to set up the new badguy but man is it still cool. King Cold's death is pretty brutal too.

Then a few pages later

He's always been kinda dorky.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
https://youtu.be/fCcLxOznBqw?t=34

Look at that moment when you see it from Freeza's perspective. It's just Trunks, floating there and then the screen slowly slides apart. God drat.

I mean, bad opinions about Trunks are only to be expected. Some people in this thread persist under the delusion that SSJ4 isn't a complete loving garbage design!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Prison Warden posted:

Look at that moment when you see it from Freeza's perspective. It's just Trunks, floating there and then the screen slowly slides apart. God drat.

One of my favorite perspectives in the anime.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Prison Warden posted:

I mean, bad opinions about Trunks are only to be expected. Some people in this thread persist under the delusion that SSJ4 isn't a complete loving garbage design!

You'd think with all their technology Frieza would have higher resolution optical receptors.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Prison Warden posted:

Back up, maybe my memory is faulty, but as far as I can recall Nappa couldn't handle a raspberry schnapps let alone Goku. I remember Goku picking Nappa apart like he was loving nothing.

Nope. It starts out like that but Vegeta gets him to calm down. They then spar for a bit, where Goku admits Nappa might take longer than he thought. Vegeta gets tired of waiting and decides to step on, out of frustration Nappa goes after the others, which leads to Goku using the kaioken and Nappa's demise.

A bit of that may be filler, but I don't think so. I read this part of the series in the manga and Goku definitely uses the kaioken on Nappa, and the even fighting would lead to the positioning that lead to that scene.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in the manga goku flat-out says fighting nappa "might take forever"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

facebook jihad posted:

Nope. It starts out like that but Vegeta gets him to calm down. They then spar for a bit, where Goku admits Nappa might take longer than he thought. Vegeta gets tired of waiting and decides to step on, out of frustration Nappa goes after the others, which leads to Goku using the kaioken and Nappa's demise.

A bit of that may be filler, but I don't think so. I read this part of the series in the manga and Goku definitely uses the kaioken on Nappa, and the even fighting would lead to the positioning that lead to that scene.

I just checked my copy of the manga to be sure, and yeah Goku outclasses Nappa to a ludicrous degree, then remarks that Nappa can take a beating so he might take longer than Goku was thinking. Goku's pretty clearly so above Nappa it's not even a real fight. Nappa's best moves are enough that Goku has to actually defend himself, really. So you're right, I just don't read them as being anywhere near equals, and "after powering up he can handle Goku when he's calm, who is double that," I don't think is accurate at all, but I think I'm splitting hairs by this point. I also legit can't remember how the anime handled it, so it might have exaggerated things a little?

The positioning on Nappa going after Gohan and Krillin has always felt kinda odd to me, since it's weird he gets so far away from Goku before he reacts. I guess Goku IS a big dumbass. But it's just to tease the fact that Goku can still turn it up a few notches if he needs to, at risk to himself, so whatever. And, at least in the anime, it's a really memorable scene, which is probably why every game has made "Goku flys at someone and punches them in the spine" a special move.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah Goku would win without a doubt. But it wasn't going to be the drubbing you'd expect a fight between a guy and someone twice his power would be, suggesting Nappa's strength can rise above 4000. I may have worded that post poorly.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't want to live in a world where bingo dance has been replaced

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

I don't want to live in a world where bingo dance has been replaced

It's not being replaced, it's just not reusing the same joke twice. Which is good. It is giving us more Vegeta stuff to laugh at.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
VEGETA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Fuego Fish posted:

The problem is that fedora jokes have been driven into the ground and for Buttlord to bring it now just seems hackneyed and boring. Not saying that the original Buttlord was topical but we weren't over-exposed to the type of humor that was there.

• Locked thread