Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

gear optimization is usually a really tedious part of rpgs.

skyrim is not for optimizing, it's for clowning around in Tamriel looking at the scenery and maybe catching up on some lore stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
There comes a point where storing and otherwise getting rid of your gear becomes the tedious part of Skyrim. Bought all the houses and have one set of everything in every available armor rack and mannequin, run around to your different houses to be sure and then find a place to sell everything you've already got copies of. It's about the time that 90% of your play experience is loading screens.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My Q-Face posted:

There comes a point where storing and otherwise getting rid of your gear becomes the tedious part of Skyrim. Bought all the houses and have one set of everything in every available armor rack and mannequin, run around to your different houses to be sure and then find a place to sell everything you've already got copies of. It's about the time that 90% of your play experience is loading screens.

I was foolish when I first played Skyrim and dumped all of my poo poo into the chest in the bedroom of the Whiterun house. 30 levels later, it was a multiple minute wait to load the drat container. Eventually I downloaded the inventory categorization mod and sorted everything into containers by type. I dumb.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

I was foolish when I first played Skyrim and dumped all of my poo poo into the chest in the bedroom of the Whiterun house. 30 levels later, it was a multiple minute wait to load the drat container. Eventually I downloaded the inventory categorization mod and sorted everything into containers by type. I dumb.

Did you play on a console or something

I fill chests in morrowind with hundreds of items and it loads smooth as eggs

I can't imagine skyrim storing more than the baseid and "ownership". It doesn't even have to keep track of durability.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 18, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mortimer posted:

I can't imagine skyrim storing more than the baseid and "ownership". It doesn't even have to keep track of durability.

Nope, PC master race. :shrug:

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I just finished dark brotherhood in oblivion, talk about fumbling at the last minute. They had that really cool story with the twists and horrible scenes in the basement and everything then it all goes really awkward and stupid, then suddenly ends. Oh well, when you've played enough bethesda stuff you start to just automatically filter that sort of thing out

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

My Q-Face posted:

Really? I never found dragonbone or dragonscale anything, even with my level 80 character.

I was just playing through Dawnguard again last week, and some of the bosses in the Soul Cairn definitely dropped some dragonbone poo poo. One dropped a dragonbone bow, which was pretty sweet for my non-smithing, never-started-the-main-quest archer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Skyrim's interface is a lot slower than Morrowind's. It's actually handled by a scripting engine. IIRC it was in Flash? Anyway, both Oblivion and Skyrim have more troubles than Morrowind handling containers with a lot of items. Skyrim gets slow, and Oblivion doesn't display everything so you have to grab stuff until the container isn't too full anymore and the rest of the content reappears.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I stopped my longest characters sometime between 50 and 60, and I've found a fair amount of dragonbone stuff. Not finding any with a level 80 character is just very unlucky.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

I actually like the crafting system in ESO a lot. It's also great from a dress-up perspective. Orcish style armor isn't automatically inferior or Dwarven armor and Daedric isn't the tops. What matters is the material it's made from, not how it looks.

There's a mod for Skyrim called Armoury of Tamriel that does the same thing, i.e. separates material from style, so you could have an Imperial style sword made from ebony, for example. It was originally just for weapons, but it was recently updated to include armors as well. I wonder if the ESO developers took any inspiration from that mod. It's certainly something that would be nice to have in TES 6.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Skyrim's interface is a lot slower than Morrowind's. It's actually handled by a scripting engine. IIRC it was in Flash? Anyway, both Oblivion and Skyrim have more troubles than Morrowind handling containers with a lot of items. Skyrim gets slow, and Oblivion doesn't display everything so you have to grab stuff until the container isn't too full anymore and the rest of the content reappears.

This is because Morrowind is better in every single way

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

MWs interface is terrible. You have to hover over each drat identical object until you find the one you're looking for.

Please give me columns of stats ala SKSE instead of goddamn tooltips.

Seems to be buried deep in the engine, as there aren't any mod that fixes more than inventory cosmetics.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Morrowind has really good interface for PC, but I can imagine it's horrible for consoles - Xbox wasn't really the mainstream back then. Now it's reversed situation and vanilla Skyrim UI is absolutely horrible on PC.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Who would even consider buying Morrowind on xbox. That's the dumbest choice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shibawanko posted:

Who would even consider buying Morrowind on xbox. That's the dumbest choice.

I did because A) I knew nothing about Morrowind except that it looked kind of cool and B) I didn't have a PC that could play any games made after about 1992 at the time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Morrowind has really good interface for PC, but I can imagine it's horrible for consoles - Xbox wasn't really the mainstream back then. Now it's reversed situation and vanilla Skyrim UI is absolutely horrible on PC.

This is exactly it. Oblivion wasn't too bad but it started the trend, Morrowind was the last truly made for PC. Oblivion dumbed it down a bit to work on consoles and Skyrim, PC was an afterthought.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Praetorian Mage posted:

There's a mod for Skyrim called Armoury of Tamriel that does the same thing, i.e. separates material from style, so you could have an Imperial style sword made from ebony, for example. It was originally just for weapons, but it was recently updated to include armors as well. I wonder if the ESO developers took any inspiration from that mod. It's certainly something that would be nice to have in TES 6.

That would be loving great. I could have a Daedric Sword that didn't look like a middle schooler designed it! Seriously that's one of the best mods I've heard of because otherwise I'm stuck using a half dozen weapon mods just to have some in the game that don't look like complete poo poo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

codo27 posted:

This is exactly it. Oblivion wasn't too bad but it started the trend, Morrowind was the last truly made for PC. Oblivion dumbed it down a bit to work on consoles and Skyrim, PC was an afterthought.
I really wish the PC masterrace crowd would stop blaming everything they don't like as "dumbed down for consoles".
Skyrim's GUI wasn't designed for consoles. It also sucks on those platforms, or when using a controller in general. Bethesda has always been bad at designing GUIs. That's all there is to it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I really wish the PC masterrace crowd would stop blaming everything they don't like as "dumbed down for consoles".
Skyrim's GUI wasn't designed for consoles. It also sucks on those platforms, or when using a controller in general. Bethesda has always been bad at designing GUIs. That's all there is to it.

It's more comforting to think game companies have preferred platforms than to realize they're corporations that don't give a poo poo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Barn Owl posted:

I was going to disagree with you until I remembered I only got ahold of the left one. I look at chim as either a little in universe nod to the fact that a ~console exists which is a harmless easteregg, or a consequence of the canon that all of reality is made from language ala the Sapir-Worf hypothesis combined with observer dependent reality. Whichever you like better.

Am I allowed to scrub the toilet and flush it a couple times first?

CHIM is just a another word for "enlightenment". There's a lot of theorizing from fans and writers of the series on what that means exactly, but if you want the least goony explanation its that TES is heavily influenced by gnosticism (and a bunch of other stuff) because Kirkbride had a degree in religious studies.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Raygereio posted:

It had to have been though. The perk screen in particular doesn't make sense unless you have an analogue stick and shoulder triggers

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krowley posted:

It had to have been though. The perk screen in particular doesn't make sense unless you have an analogue stick and shoulder triggers
:shrug: I've seen nothing but complaining from console players. And I've tried it with a controller and found it still sucked.
I always though the GUi in Skyrim as form over function. It was designed first and foremost to look pretty. The worldmap is another good example of this.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Raygereio posted:

I always though the GUi in Skyrim as form over function.

This is it right here. Bethesda got so stuck in they're stylization that they sacrificed usability. I've played Skyrim lots both ways and I honestly feel that even the vanilla UIs control better with Mouse and Keyboard than they do with a Controller. Which is almost always the exact opposite of my opinion in other games.

Oblivion IMO remains the best UI that Bethesda has developed, as it's only real issue was that everything was bloated (this you CAN blame on consoles mostly because most people still had SDTVs at the time). Fallout 3 comes second because it only compresses the working space while still being really bloated. Skyrim's and Morrowind's are jsut aggravating each for their own reasons.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I actually prefer morrowind's since I can drag the windows around and resize them and whatnot, although that may be after the Code Patch is run.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still dunno what the hell is up with the Skyrim UI. I really do not give a single poo poo about some loving pretty constellation pictures for the perk charts and giant gently caress-huge model of items on the right side of the screen, I just want to be able to navigate menus easily and quickly. If I want to know what the item looks like, I'll loving equip it or drop it or some poo poo.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I actually prefer morrowind's since I can drag the windows around and resize them and whatnot, although that may be after the Code Patch is run.

Nah that's vanilla. You can also click a button on the top left or right and have the window stick to the screen when playing. It's really the best UI Bethesda ever had and the only flaw is that the icons are hard to distinguish

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Raygereio posted:

:shrug: I've seen nothing but complaining from console players. And I've tried it with a controller and found it still sucked.
I always though the GUi in Skyrim as form over function. It was designed first and foremost to look pretty. The worldmap is another good example of this.

I agree with this. One of the reasons I gave up on trying Perkus Maximus was that it adds a ton of new perks, and navigating through that perk menu to check them all out was a nightmare. I don't really have a problem with the world map, though. It actually lets you see the whole world quickly, which is a big improvement over Oblivion's world map. However, the local map is absolutely useless.

SunAndSpring posted:

I still dunno what the hell is up with the Skyrim UI. I really do not give a single poo poo about some loving pretty constellation pictures for the perk charts and giant gently caress-huge model of items on the right side of the screen, I just want to be able to navigate menus easily and quickly. If I want to know what the item looks like, I'll loving equip it or drop it or some poo poo.

While I wish you could see your character in the inventory menu like you could in Oblivion, I don't mind the models of items. One of the reasons they did that was supposedly so inspecting items closely could be part of the gameplay. In practice, though, this only meant having to look at dragon claws to know the combination for the puzzle doors. It's an interesting idea, but Bethesda did nothing with it. Skyrim is full of wasted potential like that.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 19, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I kind of wish they did have a preference for console/controller based UI. ES games are relaxing fun, and it's easier to relax leaning back than scooted up close to a screen. I also wish the went back to the hotkey wheel. Going from say, the Witcher 3 back to Skyrim is realy jarring.

"Oh man i should switch to a healing spell in the middle of a tense fight, let me pause the game entirely just to bring up a word box on the side of the screen." Like how was that system any better than just a start button that goes to inventory directly?(another lovely thing Skyrim messed up, that start button hub thing)

I mean yeah, hotkeys are cool, but in Skyrim there was so many things to switch around or equips/unequip that you'd run out of keybinds and forget them too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Praetorian Mage posted:

While I wish you could see your character in the inventory menu like you could in Oblivion, I don't mind the models of items. One of the reasons they did that was supposedly so inspecting items closely could be part of the gameplay. In practice, though, this only meant having to look at dragon claws to know the combination for the puzzle doors. It's an interesting idea, but Bethesda did nothing with it. Skyrim is full of wasted potential like that.

I did enjoy that when I first figured it out after staring at the Bleak Falls Barrow door for a couple of minutes like an idiot. Took me right back to Resident Evil :unsmith:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Praetorian Mage posted:

While I wish you could see your character in the inventory menu like you could in Oblivion, I don't mind the models of items. One of the reasons they did that was supposedly so inspecting items closely could be part of the gameplay..

Well, you can swing the camera around to look at your character and then open the menu, though I know that's probably not what you were looking for, but

quote:

It's an interesting idea, but Bethesda did nothing with it.

Nothing except

quote:

having to look at dragon claws to know the combination for the puzzle doors

I mean, yeah, it does "feel" like it was full of untapped potential, but that could be said about a lot of gameplay mechanics in Skyrim. For what it did, and how important it was to open those doors in the game, that's actually a pretty big deal. Short of having inscriptions and clues on different kinds of items or keys, or leaving in item durability and putting in subtle (and doubtless overlooked by the vast majority of gamers) clues as to the condition of the equipment you were getting, I'm really at a loss for what else they could have done with it.

There was also the map of Dragon Burial sites, which you didn't need to turn around, but was helpful to be able to zoom in on it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The problem is that it's a really cool moment... the first time. When the claw+door mechanic is used in dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, it starts to drag. Same with the fox-dragon-snake puzzle. Maybe the Dragon Cult didn't care that anyone with functioning eyes and arms could waltz into their resting places and fiddle with their pillars.

Puzzle-wise, Skyrim kind of blew its load early. Discuss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What is even the point of those puzzles. You would have to be literally retarded to not be able to figure them out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What do you mean?! There's 27 possible combinations!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The first time I did the claw puzzle it took me a while, because I thought putting the password on the key would be loving retarded. I was trying to decipher the murals in the room for clues first.

I was messing around with the claw and then saw I could rotate it, and then saw the animal emblems on it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The first time I did the claw puzzle it took me a while, because I thought putting the password on the key would be loving retarded. I was trying to decipher the murals in the room for clues first.

I was messing around with the claw and then saw I could rotate it, and then saw the animal emblems on it.

Maybe that's it. The puzzle is so stupid that it defies your expectations and loops back to being clever.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I feel that the main point of the claw puzzles is to make rad displays in your house.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The only whale-bird-snake puzzle that I sorta liked was the one where you had to get the sequence from a book. Other than that, those puzzles were so stupid.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Heh, so did I.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 19, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The problem is that it's a really cool moment... the first time. When the claw+door mechanic is used in dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, it starts to drag. Same with the fox-dragon-snake puzzle. Maybe the Dragon Cult didn't care that anyone with functioning eyes and arms could waltz into their resting places and fiddle with their pillars.

Puzzle-wise, Skyrim kind of blew its load early. Discuss.

What was really dumb is that with I think only one exception, all the puzzle door solutions were click twice on each ring.

Personally I didn't care for any of the puzzles and traps and physics stuff when they started adding it in Oblivion, because they never quite work as intended and it's really easy to gum them up and even potentially break the game, but after the first jump-scare moment when the floor falls out from under you, they lose their novelty fast. In Skyrim, all of the puzzles and traps in the dungeons after Bleak Falls Barrow (if it was your first) were tedious, but I guess that's the mechanic they were going for.

I think someone realized that was pretty obvious and lampshaded it with "Putting the claw right back where it belongs!" For all the dialogue about it, and the mechanics and one-time use animations of Camilla showing you the way to Bleak Falls Barrow, It's not hanging over the fireplace, or over the door, or on some kind of plaque, just plop, right there on the counter with all the other junk.

edit:

Also, I really don't like the physics puzzles and BS because that's the reason they got rid of Levitation magic. (They say it's because of the closed cities, which is fine except that like they did in Mournhold, you could put an invisible wall and explain it away ingame that they threw anti-levitation magic over the cities to prevent people and daedra from flying over the walls)

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's an in game reason why they're so easy. They're to keep stupid draugr IN, not keep clever khajiit out.