Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Incomplete Fish posted:

Currently is the only option for receiving protected content/copy-once still Windows Media Center? Also the upcoming hdhomerun dvr but that is not out yet. My cable provider is very excessive with it's DRM.

Technically not even that, for long. MS dropped support for it in Windows 10 and their recent EPG switch away from Zap2It (which they had to pay for) doesn't inspire a lot of long term confidence in the program. XBox One has a guide and upcoming DVR, yes, but not for protected content, in fact the DVR will only work for OTA sources.

What I am saying is now is not the time to invest a lot of time and effort in to Windows Media Center for CableCard. It was half-dead to begin with and everyone seems to be interested in leaving the breathing tube out and seeing how long it takes to die now.

To your question - yes, that is the only real option. Maybe SiliconDust will come through after their Kickstarter did so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Is there a bug in the windows 10/Netflix app? I've got Dolby 5.1 selected in Netflix but it's showing up as PCM on my Onkyo. Kodi and MPC are passing Dolby as expected over HDMI.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Incomplete Fish posted:

Currently is the only option for receiving protected content/copy-once still Windows Media Center? Also the upcoming hdhomerun dvr but that is not out yet. My cable provider is very excessive with it's DRM.

Correct.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ixian posted:

Technically not even that, for long. MS dropped support for it in Windows 10 and their recent EPG switch away from Zap2It (which they had to pay for) doesn't inspire a lot of long term confidence in the program. XBox One has a guide and upcoming DVR, yes, but not for protected content, in fact the DVR will only work for OTA sources.

What I am saying is now is not the time to invest a lot of time and effort in to Windows Media Center for CableCard. It was half-dead to begin with and everyone seems to be interested in leaving the breathing tube out and seeing how long it takes to die now.

To your question - yes, that is the only real option. Maybe SiliconDust will come through after their Kickstarter did so well.
There's no maybe about it. I've been using the beta for a bit. It's coming along but has quite a bit to go before it's even as good as WMC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well that's a bummer. In the process of moving and trying to decide between Cox and DirecTV, and a lot of the reason I'd stick with cable is the convenience of being able to do whatever with regards to recording and files without needing to rent anything other than the $2/month CableCards. Seems like the other options require extra hardware or software (if it exists, or just sucks, hooray for being a Mac user) to view their stuff.

Is the HDHR DVR software functional enough or too buggy to rely on as far as just recording stuff at least? And how's Kodi or whatever other front ends for it?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Ixian posted:

This is why I dropped cable completely. Its either HTPC or nothing. I won't pay for the cable companies crap DVR.

Wasn't there supposed to be FCC support for some sort of home IP gateway that would let us use our own DVR and interfaces? Did I dream that?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

UndyingShadow posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be FCC support for some sort of home IP gateway that would let us use our own DVR and interfaces? Did I dream that?

You didn't dream it:
http://www.multichannel.com/news/wireless/cablecard-successor-inches-ahead/389273

Also i think MS released a statement that WMC will be supported (including guide data) until 2020, so that's still quite a while.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Until upgrading to Windows 10, I had been using my Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Center extender to stream video files to my TV. This no longer works so I played around with some media server software today.

I first tried PS3 Media Center, but couldn't get it to see my TV even after upgrading Java and forcing it to use the networking device and IP address it should have been, so I uninstalled. Next I tried XBMC/Kodi and I am currently running that although I would like the functionality I used to have which I'm not sure Kodi can do:

1. Ability to wake the PC from sleep from the TV

2. The software to autorun on startup and persist in the background

Both of these could be handled by having the PC never sleep, but I would like to avoid that if I can to save power. Any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

owl_pellet posted:

Until upgrading to Windows 10, I had been using my Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Center extender to stream video files to my TV. This no longer works so I played around with some media server software today.

I first tried PS3 Media Center, but couldn't get it to see my TV even after upgrading Java and forcing it to use the networking device and IP address it should have been, so I uninstalled. Next I tried XBMC/Kodi and I am currently running that although I would like the functionality I used to have which I'm not sure Kodi can do:

Both of these could be handled by having the PC never sleep, but I would like to avoid that if I can to save power. Any recommendations?

1. This can be done with certain remotes. I had a KB+trackpad handheld that worked with a 2.4ghz dongle and woke up the computer when I put it to sleep with Kodi. Now I use a bluetooth one and it doesn't work that way. This is more a computer issue than a Kodi issue, though. The same device wakes my Macbook from sleep on bluetooth no problem.

2. You can do this with Kodi. Just add a script or whatever. Googling "run a program at startup windows" is your friend. You can also alt-tab out of Kodi or quickly turn it to windowed mode with \ if you want to for some reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pulse 8 makes an hdmi/USB dongle that makes your PC cec compliant, so your reciever or TV can wake up the PC when you turn them on.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but it's somewhat HTPC relevant;

Earlier this year I set out to make a low end HTPC for the living room Plex server. As things often do, this snowballed into a fairly decent "couch gaming" machine in a Fractal Node 804, and it currently houses all my storage hard drives for media and runs my Plex server.

Conversely, I just re-did my physical desk space, and as a result transferred my desktop computer out of a horizontal case w/ only 2 hard drive bays, to more standard vertical ATX mid-tower with 5 hard drive bays.

Does it make sense to transfer my hard drive's and plex server back to my main desktop or am I over thinking this? Desktop is 3570 w/ GTX660, HTPC is 4690 w/970.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reggie Died posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but it's somewhat HTPC relevant;

Earlier this year I set out to make a low end HTPC for the living room Plex server. As things often do, this snowballed into a fairly decent "couch gaming" machine in a Fractal Node 804, and it currently houses all my storage hard drives for media and runs my Plex server.

Conversely, I just re-did my physical desk space, and as a result transferred my desktop computer out of a horizontal case w/ only 2 hard drive bays, to more standard vertical ATX mid-tower with 5 hard drive bays.

Does it make sense to transfer my hard drive's and plex server back to my main desktop or am I over thinking this? Desktop is 3570 w/ GTX660, HTPC is 4690 w/970.

Ideally you'd want a separate machine to be your dedicated Plex Media Server with your main desktop and living room HTPC acting as Plex clients only. But in your situation, nah, I don't think it'd make any difference or be worth the hassle to transfer over the drives.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

owl_pellet posted:

This sounds like you're using the TV's UPnP client to stream over the network, correct? If so waking the PC will require support from the TV to send a wake-on-LAN "magic packet". If that's not an option with your TV you'll need to find something else to stream to. Anything that runs Kodi should work, there's an option in its settings to send WoL packets to any servers it tries to access.

If you have the PC directly attached to the TV through HDMI then look at the Pulse-Eight device mentioned earlier.

quote:

This shouldn't be a problem for anything, install it as a service and enjoy.

twi
Oct 31, 2011
Just bought this as an HTPC/Emulator machine. On a scale of 1 to toaster, how hosed am I?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I don't think you're really hosed. Don't know what specifically you're planning to play on it as far as content, or what player software, but Kodi runs alright on that hardware, though it might stutter on h265 1080p, and it'll do 4K@60 with h264 without dropping frames. Emulation should be fine at least through PS1 era. You might struggle with PS2, DS, Gamecube, and Wii.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 9, 2015

twi
Oct 31, 2011

G-Prime posted:

I don't think you're really hosed. Don't know what specifically you're planning to play on it as far as content, or what player software, but Kodi runs alright on that hardware, though it might stutter on h265 1080p, and it'll do 4K@60 with h264 without dropping frames. Emulation should be fine at least through PS1 era. You might struggle with PS2, DS, Gamecube, and Wii.

That's good to hear, I was gonna pull the trigger on the new Braswell N3700 NUC, but then a friend talked me into getting a beebox instead because of the dual channel memory, citing this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEG3xYoct38

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whats the best value or just plain best for remotes nowadays?

I'm redoing my living room setup for the first time in like 5 years and the Harmony (used with a generic Windows Media Center IR adapter) I've been using has a busted USB port so I can't reprogram it.

I've got a Windows HTPC running XBMC and Steam big picture mode.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

It's been out for a while but I love my Harmony Smart (which comes with the Hub). Reduced a plethora of remotes to a single device, and we can keep all of our console cabinets closed and still use the hand held (which has no IR blaster). It's great.

E: Not sure about HTPC interoperability, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

Whats the best value or just plain best for remotes nowadays?

I'm redoing my living room setup for the first time in like 5 years and the Harmony (used with a generic Windows Media Center IR adapter) I've been using has a busted USB port so I can't reprogram it.

I've got a Windows HTPC running XBMC and Steam big picture mode.
I'm interested in this as well, my Harmony 880 is showing its age (approaching 10 years now) but even as limiting as it's stupid wizard-based software is I haven't found anything close to as capable without stepping in to crazy 4-5 digit price tag automation systems. Some of the URC units look nice but all the good ones are "pro installer only" models and gently caress everything about that.

A display is a must-have for lesser-used features, but touch screens on a remote are stupid because they're not good to use without looking at the thing.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

E: Not sure about HTPC interoperability, though.
Interop shouldn't be an issue for any universal remotes and common receivers. IIRC the LIRC type receivers can work with basically anything, where the Windows MCE receivers are fairly popular on their own and also share codes with the Xbox 360 so almost any universal remote should work with them.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Harmony smart hub and a flirc

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Don Lapre posted:

Harmony smart hub and a flirc

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

wolrah posted:

I'm interested in this as well, my Harmony 880 is showing its age (approaching 10 years now) but even as limiting as it's stupid wizard-based software is I haven't found anything close to as capable without stepping in to crazy 4-5 digit price tag automation systems. Some of the URC units look nice but all the good ones are "pro installer only" models and gently caress everything about that

I have a URC MX980 and MX950 id sell for dirt cheap

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I made a huge mistake ordering a FLIRC shipped to Canada from the manufacturer, didn't I? A post from 2013 makes it sound like I'll be waiting for it to clear customs for two months.

"Wtf is this thing? Is it a terrorist and/or sex thing?"
"I dunno, Doug. Let's ask someone else tomorrow!"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Mine took like 3 days to arrive to Canada, I think you'll be fine.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
If I wanted to standardize the file format of the videos on my plex server would MP4 be the one to pick? I'm mainly using plex home theatre on the same PC and will soon add a Roku to the mix and I want to keep the server itself from having to transcode all of the time. Also what would be the easiest way to go about this? Ideally it'd be a simple program I can point to a directory and say "If these files aren't .mp4 convert them to that while retaining the same file name." Anything like that available or is this going to be a tedious process?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Whats inside the container is what is important i believe. Not the file extension.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CFox posted:

If I wanted to standardize the file format of the videos on my plex server would MP4 be the one to pick? I'm mainly using plex home theatre on the same PC and will soon add a Roku to the mix and I want to keep the server itself from having to transcode all of the time. Also what would be the easiest way to go about this? Ideally it'd be a simple program I can point to a directory and say "If these files aren't .mp4 convert them to that while retaining the same file name." Anything like that available or is this going to be a tedious process?

If you have a Mac, you could probably put together an Automator script for that, but I'm sure there's a Windows or Linux program that can do the same. That said, yeah, what Don Lapre said.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you are going to throw a Roku into the mix it's format support is limited.

It supports H.264 video in MP4, MOV, or MKV containers along with AAC or MP3 audio. Anything outside of that will be transcoded by Plex.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

stevewm posted:

It supports H.264 video in MP4, MOV, or MKV containers along with AAC or MP3 audio. Anything outside of that will be transcoded by Plex.

And the h264 support it has when streaming is broken as gently caress.

If you are using plex on a roku, you should always expect transcoding.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cornjob posted:

I have a URC MX980 and MX950 id sell for dirt cheap
The MX-980 checks all my important boxes from a hardware standpoint, but the fact that the software is not officially available to the end user is a killer. I'm a tinkering type and I'm not an idiot, I refuse to pay someone to program my remote control. I'm sure it's possible to get ahold of the programming software through unofficial channels, but I don't want to be stuck searching for random tutorials on home theater forums as my only source of documentation either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

stevewm posted:

Don Lapre posted:

And the h264 support it has when streaming is broken as gently caress.

If you are using plex on a roku, you should always expect transcoding.

Only if it's directly connected to the TV (in most cases). If you connect a Roku to a DD/DTS capable AVR, you should at the very least be able to Direct Stream most content with Plex. When I had a Roku 3 in my home theater setup, my Plex server rarely had to fully transcode any content requested by the Roku. My library is fairly optimized though, as most of my files are H264 MKVs with AC3/DTS audio tracks.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ixian posted:

Along with that, Cablecard is (eventually) on it's way out:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ncta-responds-senators-set-top-complaints-says-consumers-already-have-plent/2015-07-30

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I got a Sumvison Cyclone 4 Micro, it seems to play fine. UI is a bit poo poo but trying to stream over wifi is just a stuttery mess, maybe I'm being dumb but I feel like the wifi should be able to stream a 1080p film off a NAS to downstairs without dropping frames. The connection speed on the box when you open a file says anywhere from 3000-9000kbits. If I do a speed test on my phone in the same room as the Cyclone I get 22mb/s. I can see the usage on the NAS isnt going over 1.3MB/s, when I play something on my wired OpenElec box at the same time it still plays fine and goes up to 3-5MB/s so its not the NAS. My sister has problems streaming on her smart TV one floor above too on WiFi. Is there something I'm missing on my router? It's g/n capable... Maybe I'm expecting too much from it?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there a recommended keyboard-mouse combination for couch use? I have my second Logitech K400, and I don't know if it's my sweaty hands or what (probably my freakishly sweaty hands) but the trackpad loves to freak out and wrongly detect two fingers or make the mouse cursor go nuts. The trackpad on my Macbook Air works fine and no one else seems to have similar problems with this keyboard that I can find, though. Good alternatives?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For what it's worth, mine is completely useless if I've been doing the dishes and don't completely dry my hands.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I found the K400's trackpad to be pretty bad even in ideal conditions. I upgraded to a K830, which I found much better, albeit at 5x the price of what I paid for the K400 ($100 vs $20).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Find a solution where you dont have to use a keyboard and mouse from the couch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Don Lapre posted:

Find a solution where you dont have to use a keyboard and mouse from the couch.

This is the HTPC thread. There are times when you need to type into a keyboard, it's easier on an actual keyboard.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I keep an actual keyboard tucked away for data entry when I need it. Most of the time I either use an IR remote with Kodi or an app on my tablet that turns it into a touchpad/keyboard for the computer when I'm using netflix. Sometimes I even remote into it with chrome remote desktop so I don't have to turn my TV on to listen to music from my HTPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Medullah posted:

This is the HTPC thread. There are times when you need to type into a keyboard, it's easier on an actual keyboard.

Right, but you shouldn't need one for everyday use i mean.