Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

minimalist posted:

100 Bullets is padded as gently caress. Also, not very good.

100 Bullets is weird in that it is both super padded and yet none of it really gave me a sense of the characters involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah, nearly all of them spoke with pretty much the same voice (and I'm not just talking about the overuse of the embarrassing "street" accent).

To be fair that can also be a problem with Warren Ellis' stuff, and yet Transmet is a million times more readable and entertaining.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Read the last volume of Fables. I had so many issues I don't even know where to begin, but holy poo poo did that suck. I'm going to pretend that the Fables story in Unwritten was the actual ending to Fables, since Mr. Dark seducing Snow and her kids is somehow more plausible than some contrived tontine that goes nowhere, among other various plotlines. Like, holy poo poo it was bad.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I agree. The stakes of Rose Red vs Snow White never felt very real and the whole thing just fizzled out in the end. The epilogues ranged from cute to bad with the worst one being the firefighter poo poo.

War and Pieces remains the perfect end point for the series with only Cubs in Toyland coming close to matching the quality of the first half.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So question, I read the first volume of American Vampire however many years ago when it came out and liked it, but haven't read anything since. However, at my comics shop today, there was an issue with what looked like a 1960s vampire cosmonaut on the cover. So my questions are, is there an American Vampire storyline about vampires in the space race, and if so, would I be completely lost if I jumped right in to only read that?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't say you'd be "lost" necessarily, but some of the space characters were introduced after Vol 1, as well as a status quo change, as well as a vampire fighting group (was that in Vol 1?). But as long you know who Sweet is and who Pearl is you'll get the basics. That said, the intervening volumes are really good and worth reading in my opinion.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's definitely a series I've always intended to go back to. Maybe once I finally get through Lucifer that'll be my next comics goal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WHOOPS posted:

The epilogues ranged from cute to bad with the worst one being the firefighter poo poo.

A woman experiences ptsd and is yelled at and fired. Stay classy Willingham.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
well if you don't like it we can talk about it with your pussy union rep as determined by your pathetic unions!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wow, Dangerous Habits was one hell of a story. One hell of a story to start with.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 14, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kurtofan posted:

Wow, Dangerous Habits was one hell of a story.

Watching the movie and realizing that it was Dangerous Habits with the guts torn out was pretty :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Guilty posted:

Watching the movie and realizing that it was Dangerous Habits with the guts torn out was pretty :smith:

To be fair, they made a bit of effort and Peter Stormare was a really good First of the Fallen. They just didn't understand what was important and why, plus you couldn't take some of that stuff out of the UK.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jedit posted:

To be fair, they made a bit of effort and Peter Stormare was a really good First of the Fallen. They just didn't understand what was important and why, plus you couldn't take some of that stuff out of the UK.

Agreed on all counts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Constantine was a decent movie with a few great acting roles (Tilda Swinton was a standout for me in it too) as long as you pretend it has nothing to do with Hellblazer.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What separated Constantine from Hellblazer?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What separated Constantine from Hellblazer?

DC makes bad choices and wanted him as a superhero.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

DC makes bad choices and wanted him as a superhero.

The movie, not the comic. And the answer to that is that Constantine in the movie is not a ruthless exploitative bastard. The real Constantine does not have a plucky young sidekick.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

The movie, not the comic. And the answer to that is that Constantine in the movie is not a ruthless exploitative bastard. The real Constantine does not have a plucky young sidekick.

Yeah, something you'll notice very quickly about comics John Constantine is that people around him die, whether because he was careless or because he deliberately chose to sacrifice them. (Or, if you're Ritchie Simpson, a bit of both.) Comics Constantine would be rather offputting to a lot of people- and he should be, because that's part of what makes him interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Movie Constantine was different enough from the source material that it was fun and could stand on its own. TV Hellblazer is close enough to the comic version that it's frustrating how much of it is off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Movie Constantine was different enough from the source material that it was fun and could stand on its own. TV Hellblazer is close enough to the comic version that it's frustrating how much of it is off.

Supernatural bit so much from Hellblazer that TV Constantine didn't have a chance.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Supernatural bit so much from Hellblazer that TV Constantine didn't have a chance.

Well Constantine could have been trumped Supernatural by actually being good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pope Guilty posted:

TV Constantine didn't have to rip off the tone of Supernatural to make it worse, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sadly Constantine the tv show only started finding it's footing in the last 3 episodes. I think it was around the episode where he finally lit a cigarette.

Movie Constantine was awesome if you ignored the movie and pretended it was an original property.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would take movie Constantine over TV Constantine any day of the week

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I would take movie Constantine over TV Constantine any day of the week

If you replaced Keanu with the guy who played TV Constantine it would've been a great movie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also TV Constantine's love of 70's punk rock makes way less sense if he's a young man in 2015.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Also TV Constantine's love of 70's punk rock makes way less sense if he's a young man in 2015.

i mean, i'm a young man in 2015, and i love '70s punk rock

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
So when should I stop reading Fables so I don't get disappointed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Street Soldier posted:

So when should I stop reading Fables so I don't get disappointed?

Issue 1.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Jedit posted:

Issue 1.

I actually read the first like 70 issues and I have to agree. Didn't particularly enjoy this comic. It does have it's moments but you're better off giving your attention to something else.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't remember the exact issue but I first felt the decline after the first appearance of Santa Claus. That issue itself was cool but it began the trend of setting up things that would never pay off satisfactorily.

It's been said already but you'd actually do better to "finish" the series by reading the Unwritten/Fables crossover, which felt like a jillion times more epic than how the Mister Dark arc actually ended.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
If the concept grabs you, read through the War and Pieces arc. It is a very satisfying conclusion to the initial hook of Fables with barely any dangling threads.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

If the concept grabs you, read through the War and Pieces arc. It is a very satisfying conclusion to the initial hook of Fables with barely any dangling threads.

Yeah, if Volume 1 doesn't grab you, stop right there. If a swing from fairy tale urban fantasy noir into epic fantasy isn't your cup of tea, you can probably just read Vol. 1 and be done with it. Then stop reading after issue 75 (it is immediately obvious) because everything afterwards is a confused, directionless mess. Except I liked the idea of Mr. Dark (but oh god that execution), and the Toyland arc was pretty solid.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 18, 2015

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, to elaborate a bit more, because if you get to that point you may say to yourself "hey, it can't be that bad. I really liked what I read before...", the overall Fables story struggles to go anywhere. It starts out exploring the aftermath of the war then tries to Raise the Stakes™ with a new threat way too fast, gets sidetracked by a lovely crossover, dabbles in some slut shaming then spends the last 50 issues jumping around telling a bunch of disconnected stories without any meaningful through-line. Some of them are very entertaining (Waking Beauty, All in One Night, Cubs in Toyland, The Boys in the Band) but not something you need to seek out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also liked the two Cinderella spinoffs, but that's probably because Chris Roberson wrote them rather than Willingham.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I felt that the worst part of the Fables series was the Jack spin-off. Why give a whole series to that bastard?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Promo video on the new comics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNJuUYybtU

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 20, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Literally everything on the slate except American Vampire, Astro City and Suiciders is being canned in the next month. This may be the first time since the imprint began that I'm not buying a Vertigo book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're getting a Hernandez/Cooke and an Allred comic. We're coming out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8fhyiTvvc
There's a free preview comic for the new Vertigo stuff available tomorrow or Batman Day or something.

• Locked thread