Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TwoPair posted:

Agreed. I would much rather read a synopsis of the madness within and then let my brain fill in the gaps than actually read the story. The only really old comics that are good to read are, as always, Spidey Super Stories.
Other than the Future Sports™ most of 2000AD holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I say to myself, "That's not really old." Then I realized the start of 2000AD is far away from today as the creation of Superman was from my birth.

And the silver age was awesome. They're goofy stories for kids and they have problems stemming from that and the time they were written, but they were clearly having so much fun...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Oh I despise camp.

All camp? Do you dislike the Flash Gordon movie? The music of Queen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes.

I mean I guess Queen is okay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discendo Vox posted:

The crucial question for me is whether I'd be willing to pay the equivalent of modern comic book prices for the content of the Silver Age books. In my case, the answer is no, but then again I haven't routinely purchased comics in years for the same reasons.

Yeah, in general, mediocre comics would be fine if their price was still relative to the old stuff, which would make it well under 2 bucks.

The DC Silver Age is pretty frustrating and annoying to me, I'd rather read almost anything else. 60s Marvel, 50s EC, 70s DC, all of it is a lot more compelling than "Superman is a gorilla, but WHY?", even though a lot of those Silver Age Superman comics had top talent on the art.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's really funny to read a Seanbaby article about them or whateve,r but if that's what comics were like today across the board, it'd be even worse than if everything was Identity Crisis.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Best part of that Tag & Bink special is getting to see just what Anakin and the Emperor were watching when they were discussing Darth Plagueis:

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Episode I: Revenge of the Clone Menace

Also the previous panel is filled with cheap, easy gags that all made me laugh anyways:

(and also apparently my mouse cursor)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Traxus IV posted:

Star Wars, everybody!

(from one of the Tag and Bink comics, forget which)

Skippy the Jedi Droid is A-Okay.

Honestly though my favorite EU thing to do with Lightsabres, is Lightfoils.

What are Lightfoils? Why, it's a slightly weaker version of a lightsabre anyone can build and use without the force, and Jedi can still do lighsaber tricks with!... Except when they are as built as strong as a lightabre, then you go right back to needing the force to safely wield it because REASONS.

I've had some old pals get more mad over lightfoils than those plot materials that turn off a lightsaber if it hits them, or small lizards that neutralize force powers. Or dinosaurs that use people's souls as batteries. (Star wars is fuckin weird).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't need the force to use a lightsaber, Han uses one in Empire Strikes Back and if it was an issue of safety then why would being slightly weaker matter at all, it isn't like you're going to cut your hand off LESS.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

joehonkie posted:

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Episode I: Revenge of the Clone Menace

Also the previous panel is filled with cheap, easy gags that all made me laugh anyways:

(and also apparently my mouse cursor)
I can't read the one in far back-left, behind The Gungan King, but the back right is Rent in Aurebesh

ETA: VV No, it is just Avenue Q. VV

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 18, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's Avenue Q, or a take on it anyway.

I don't speak that dialect of Nerd , but assuming the text goes left to right, just the spacing confirms it.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2015

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Prison Warden posted:

It's Avenue Q, or a take on it anyway.

I don't speak that dialect of Nerd , but assuming the text goes right to left, just the spacing confirms it.

I think it's just English with alphabetical substitution, but it's too much work to look it up if someone has memorized it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

You don't need the force to use a lightsaber, Han uses one in Empire Strikes Back

Not use it, but wield it effectively in combat. Something about how the blade is weightless (or incredibly heavy, depending on your source, because Star Wars). You can't twirl something around like that if there's no weight to add momentum or what have you.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Phylodox posted:

Not use it, but wield it effectively in combat. Something about how the blade is weightless (or incredibly heavy, depending on your source, because Star Wars). You can't twirl something around like that if there's no weight to add momentum or what have you.

That always seemed really dumb to me. All that means is that the training for it is different from, like, a sword. People can learn to use crazy poo poo like a whip or a kusarigama without cutting their own nads off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ghostlight posted:

I've so far read the first 75 issues of the book in the last year (I do everything sloooowly) and the future sports aren't too bad besides the point where they literally recycled their own plot, having the exact same characters try to sabotage the team in the exact same ways. It's stuff like Shako that feels uninspired and a waste of space to me.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

WickedHate posted:

Wait, I just realized what his terrible secret is!

Ghost Rider: Heaven's on Fire #2

Aww, hey, buddy! Stop hitting yourself!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

Prison Warden posted:

That always seemed really dumb to me. All that means is that the training for it is different from, like, a sword. People can learn to use crazy poo poo like a whip or a kusarigama without cutting their own nads off.

Which is why I adore lightfoils. Not because "Anybody can make or use them". I like em because of how mad they make grognard scale SW fans. Because it just laughs at all that and says "Nah, it's really just because this is their special snowflake weapon. As long as it's Not As Good, you're fine with a laser sword".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't really explain how a 'lightfoil' would be any better.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Choco1980 posted:

I've so far read the first 75 issues of the book in the last year (I do everything sloooowly) and the future sports aren't too bad besides the point where they literally recycled their own plot, having the exact same characters try to sabotage the team in the exact same ways. It's stuff like Shako that feels uninspired and a waste of space to me.
I'd forgotten about Shako.

Oh, and whatever that one was where the Tories help Nazis Russian Fascists occupy Britain.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I've come to realise that British comic writers in the 80s really had it in for the Tories. Like, REALLY had it in for them.

That being, said, who can blame them? (Tories, mainly, assuming the writers in question were either poor or minorities.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'd forgotten Shako so much I had to look up what it was. I'm really just glad that sometimes wiki writers have a sense of humour.

I'd forgotten how wordy comics could be... the amount of self-narration these characters have ranges from a little bizarre...

To the downright mental

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even in the face of death, commit to the bit!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

That is silly, all you need is the concept that a gun is a much more effective weapon than a sword unless you are a space ninja wizard.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm not even that into Star Wars, I'm just relaying what I heard.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I always assumed anyone without force powers would just get shot before they got anywhere near their opponent.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

robziel posted:

is that Afrika Bambatta in the middle of the second picture?

Nah, it's just my favorite honky.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Prison Warden posted:

I'd forgotten how wordy comics could be...

Meanwhile, I'm kind shocked at how text-light most currentish comics are. Just read through Sweet Tooth and I swear it takes less than 5 minutes to read an issue, same thing with Bandette.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Prison Warden posted:

I'd forgotten Shako so much I had to look up what it was. I'm really just glad that sometimes wiki writers have a sense of humour.

I'd forgotten how wordy comics could be... the amount of self-narration these characters have ranges from a little bizarre...

To the downright mental

To be fair, that wiki really isn't wrong. It's pretty predictable, with each issue's story pretty much being "mustache twirling jackass gets his gun/vehicle/whatever to go kill the drat bear. He slips or something, and the bear eats him. end." There's a subplot about 2/3rds in where this craphead kid Eskimo decides to be nice to the bear and protect him, despite the fact that the bear's already killed like fifty people. Several people die because of that boy.

Like I said, I'm about 75 progs in now (and have a LOT to go) and I'm already seeing a pattern. Good stories they write more and more until the writer's clearly tired of it (Judge Dredd never ends). Crummy stories (usually filled with overly obvious plots and that selfsame overnarration) might last like, 8 or 10 installments. I suspect this will remain true to today's progs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bears will gently caress you up in more than one way.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Marian Engel has a lot to answer for.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said, I'm about 75 progs in now (and have a LOT to go) and I'm already seeing a pattern. Good stories they write more and more until the writer's clearly tired of it (Judge Dredd never ends). Crummy stories (usually filled with overly obvious plots and that selfsame overnarration) might last like, 8 or 10 installments. I suspect this will remain true to today's progs.
Judge Dredd is helped a lot by the rotation of writers and differing tone of stories. I think Rogue Trooper was the biggest casualty of writer fatigue.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Traxus IV posted:

No, the student had already vacated the body or something. I've done my best to forget that poo poo, it's loving weird, but it lingers. And oddly enough, I was explaining this exact scenario to a coworker the other day as an example of horrible EU stuff that I'd read in my misspent youth.

The student lady had previously transferred her boyfriend's mind into a robot in an effort to have him live through a fatal disease or something that killed his body but it wasn't really him because SOULS I guess and he kind of wanted to die so he sacrificed himself to do something-or-other (blow up a doomsday ship?) and she went with him but in a way that conveniently left her super hot body untouched and available for the ghost-lady to move into and bang Luke with.

And yet...still not the worst thing that ever happened in the EU. And I say that as someone who unironically enjoys a great deal of it pre-purge.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nyeehg posted:

Don't forget the reveal that Lois is fat because Superman secretly had her shot with a weird growth ray so she wouldn't be recognised by a mafia hitman.

In other words, Superman knew it was Lois all along.

Because he forced her to magically become fat without her knowledge or consent.

And proceeds to treat her like poo poo because she is fat.

Silver Age!

I grew up on post-Bryne Superman so it's always joyously surreal to be reminded of Superdickery from the 50s-70s.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And yet...still not the worst thing that ever happened in the EU. And I say that as someone who unironically enjoys a great deal of it pre-purge.

DEATHPOOPERS

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Avulsion posted:

I always assumed anyone without force powers would just get shot before they got anywhere near their opponent.

I can't remember the book, but I do remember an EU scene where Luke is meeting with some smuggler dude on his asteroid base and the guy is trying to work out if Luke might be a real Jedi, or just an dude who is a big enough tool to walk around with a lightsaber like he's actually going to use it without getting shot a dozen times. The idea that there are poser jerks in the universe who buy recovered sabers and strut around with them is pretty great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ashcans posted:

I can't remember the book, but I do remember an EU scene where Luke is meeting with some smuggler dude on his asteroid base and the guy is trying to work out if Luke might be a real Jedi, or just an dude who is a big enough tool to walk around with a lightsaber like he's actually going to use it without getting shot a dozen times. The idea that there are poser jerks in the universe who buy recovered sabers and strut around with them is pretty great.

To be fair, if this is pre-ESB, Luke is basically one of those poser jerks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Prison Warden posted:

Well, then you get poo poo like the lightsaber whip (AKA Light whip, AKA how I order my mochas) and all bets are off.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are those lightsabers coming out of his knees? Why.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Lightsaber to the groin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That armor really doesn't look like it's articulated. Maybe he has wheels on his feet and they just push him down hills at his opponents.