Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sacrilage posted:

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

Any take you have on the process would be welcome I'm sure. I've got 11 months left of my GI Bill burnin' a hole in my pocket, so I've started looking at MSCE/M Eng programs here locally (Villanova, Johns Hopkins, et al). Trying to work up the motivation to take the GRE with all of this free time I've got sitting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Sacrilage posted:

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

I had no idea that this was the case. Do all of the top schools do this?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yes, so all you r*tarded freaks who talk about 'poop'ing and 'pooping on your balls' and going into portashitters to 'poo poo poop on your balls and masturbate on your phones' and other gross stuff with your Kuwait deployments (talking about how much you pooped, shitted, or masturbated in a desert between video games and not even having the wrath of Mother Mullah Omar reigning down upon you in blasts of hot iron and Mohammad Semen?? wtf you guys are lazy, gross, non contributors to the war effort) are not getting in. We have standards and you kuwait mother *retards are not in unless you deployed several times + had company command or whatever the enlisted equivalent to sucking the half-birds dick and cleaning up poop blood and semen stains from a few hundred dudes and lesbians is.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

anne frank fanfic posted:

Yes, so all you r*tarded freaks who talk about 'poop'ing and 'pooping on your balls' and going into portashitters to 'poo poo poop on your balls and masturbate on your phones' and other gross stuff with your Kuwait deployments (talking about how much you pooped, shitted, or masturbated in a desert between video games and not even having the wrath of Mother Mullah Omar reigning down upon you in blasts of hot iron and Mohammad Semen?? wtf you guys are lazy, gross, non contributors to the war effort) are not getting in. We have standards and you kuwait mother *retards are not in unless you deployed several times + had company command or whatever the enlisted equivalent to sucking the half-birds dick and cleaning up poop blood and semen stains from a few hundred dudes and lesbians is.
Sweet, I love sharing poop stories with my civilian friends. They are fascinated by how fast a man can poop when he really needs to!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

anne frank fanfic posted:

This type of post isn't welcome in resource threads. Please be mindful :)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This type of post isn't welcome in resource threads. Please be mindful :)

I have difficulty believing there's a secret society of student vets & veteran administrators who give branch-qualified applicants a golden ticket to top tier education....at more than a few select schools. It sounds like a smart idea, but most schools handle veterans' issues so ineptly that I just can't believe it's true across the board. Key word, branch-qualified (co cmd, squad leader, whatever), here: almost every school notices the yes/no veteran binary, we're discussing whether they go a step further and read your ERB/ORB. Doubtful, in most cases.

THAT SAID,

It's worth the gamble to apply "out of your league" just in case, right? Columbia admitted me and knocked 40% off my tuition, I mostly wasn't a dirtbag while I was in, so I assume the two are related.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'd say there's a 0% chance they would have accepted me based solely on my undergrad performance.
VVV

same here: 2.7 undergrad GPA

Zeris fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2015

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I got into Penn pretty much exclusively on my vet background and letters of recommendation. I'd say there's a 0% chance they would have accepted me based solely on my undergrad performance. AFAIK they don't have a veteran quota, but the program director specifically mentioned that I was accepted on the basis of my experience, which could only really be my time as a Corpsman (since I have no other relevant experience). Programs look for diversity, because a diverse student body is inherently beneficial to education - if you're the only vet applying for a program (as I was, per program director), then your chances of getting accepted as a diversifying element are not bad, and not many vets apply for top programs. For MBA programs it might be different, I'm doing hard sciences. Whatever you're going for, throw some hail mary applications out - they only cost what $50-70 each? You never know what their admissions committee is looking for at any given time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There was an absolutely 0% chance my college would've accepted me based on my stunning high school 2.3 GPA. In the USAF, I had a 2.7 from the college courses I took.

Basically being a vet owns. I'm pulling in a no effort 3.5 now.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

There was an absolutely 0% chance my college would've accepted me based on my stunning high school 2.3 GPA. In the USAF, I had a 2.7 from the college courses I took.

I'll be putting this theory to test when I start applying to law schools.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'll be putting this theory to test when I start applying to law schools.

Paging ActusRhesus to the Education thread...ActusRhesus to Ed, please.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Paging ActusRhesus to the Education thread...ActusRhesus to Ed, please.

I really enjoy the grad school / lawyer thread that is even more discouraging than the enlisting thread in GIP

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
To be fair, enlisting actually works out for some people

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

It's kind of working out for me. My department head said she'd write any recommendation letters I might need for my applications to schools. Coolest Psychiatrist I've ever worked for, honestly.

So far I have 4 schools, but I'm thinking of finding two more just to be safe with chances of getting accepted. Right now I'm looking at UT Austin, Rice, Fresno State (since it's really close to where I am now), and Stanford just to kind of evenly cover applications to state and private institutions. Jumping from my job in the service to an almost completely unrelated Biochemistry degree will be pretty interesting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TheQuietWilds posted:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
One legit benefit of enlisting: riding the wave of national sympathy to a really good college, and being able to afford it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

As long as you have a little foresight and play your cards right you can really be set up. They're just throwing money at me at this point and I still make almost double what I did while active duty not working? ......

Like on top of everything else I also got $2,400 of grant money for the academic year. Tuition includes books so there's another $800

Also my interviewer had a personal friend that was medical in the Navy in Vietnam and kept going on about that. Think that definitely helped. Wouldn't be surprised to find that some places have an unofficial veteran quota.

Echoing off of quietwilds I think some places are enthused to accept younger enlisted type veterans. As said it helps add to the dynamic and as long as you show a little dedication and all that.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did you not file a loss of income appeal cuz the Pell grant is like 5700

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not sure on the specifics I think it has to do with the fact that I had barely been out maybe 2 months if you don't count terminal

I could have cared less about the kicker bonus when I enlisted. Didn't even know I was entitled to it until I went to sign. But hell I'll take that extra $200/month

I do feel a little bad for the people talking about all their insane loans they had to take and their poo poo weekend jobs

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 7, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So you missed out on 3 grand then. Good job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'll plan my EAS for a different time of the year when I reenlist

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pell grant is based off of your tax return. You can let the school know that isn't an accurate reflection of your now-current earning situation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As long as you have a little foresight and play your cards right you can really be set up. They're just throwing money at me at this point and I still make almost double what I did while active duty not working? ......

Like on top of everything else I also got $2,400 of grant money for the academic year. Tuition includes books so there's another $800

I got $12,600 in grants this year ahaha

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm clearing just over 15k in grants this year. I really wish I had started out at CU Boulder instead of transferring after two years at Tulane. Don't leave any potential money on the table, you'll want it eventually

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Zeris posted:

What's your military background?

Subs. Did 4 years fast attack out of PH, then did NTSD for last two years at a DESRON. Good FITREPS, which didn't matter, and great personal recommendations, which did matter a lot.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

seriously please tell more about this because im not actively doing this but info like this is priceless

Happy to expand; ask and I shall tell.

As far as admissions go, my understanding is that undergraduate admissions is similar, but not nearly as focused. I had a beer with the vet admissions officer for a good undergraduate program, and for them it was mainly "did you make the minimum bar for the school that year", "how did you rank against other people in the military", and "how did your non-military credentials fit into the school's overall target for diversity".

Anyhow, happy to say more, just ask.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Any take you have on the process would be welcome I'm sure. I've got 11 months left of my GI Bill burnin' a hole in my pocket, so I've started looking at MSCE/M Eng programs here locally (Villanova, Johns Hopkins, et al). Trying to work up the motivation to take the GRE with all of this free time I've got sitting around.

I feel ya. I made the supremely moronic mistake of not researching GRE/GMAT more, so I took the GMAT ("it's what MBA programs like") only to realize the M.Eng program requires GRE. Had to take the GRE halfway into my MBA program, which sucked rear end.

All in all though, as long as you score moderately well, most M.Eng programs are money-makers for the school; you are subsidizing the smart folks in the M.S. programs. Honestly, just go talk to the Dean of the M.Eng program, convince them you're serious and will pay full tuition, and you'll get in sure as anything. Deans have a lot of pull, and if they like you, life is easy.

Note: Helps if the program is small; my M.Eng program has 4 ppl/year, so if the program you're targeting has 200ppl/year, my advice on just waltzing into the Dean's office may be loving stupid.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

For the MBA programs, absolutely. I can't really speak to any other type of program, as the MBA program is rather...special. For all intents and purposes, it's a huge rubber stamp; most the T10 programs (maybe all) have "grade non-disclosure" policies, so as soon as you get in it's really just a "do whatever the hell you want to further your own career".

Plenty of people with guaranteed jobs they love when they graduate just party. Some people just care about learning a few things, some people want to start a company, a family, etc etc.

That means for applicants all they care about is your personal ambition and what you'll bring to their network on graduation; as such, there is absolutely 0 point in comparing you to Mr. Goldman Sachs or Mrs. TFA; your experience set differs too much, and measuring your ambition and value against theirs doesn't create a reliable benchmark.

As such, most MBA programs just set a 6-9% Veteran population benchmark, and choose the best Vets that apply until they hit that number. Doesn't matter if every civilian applies with a 780 and letters from the President; you're being compared to Vets.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Here's another protip; if you're <100% GI Bill, go to grad school at a public school. MBA programs, M.Eng programs, Law School...all 40-70K/year. If you are 80% and go to a public grad school, however, they will pay 80% of that entire tuition, fees, school medical insurance, etc, whereas if you go to a private school, you get 80% of $21,084, the national private school cap.

All in all, can easily save you ~$100K. Especially if you leverage a top school acceptance to get grants/scholarships from a lower rated public school. In the end, a few ranks makes little difference, while 100K...yeah, it's a lot.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 8, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sacrilage posted:

Here's another protip; if you're <100% GI Bill, go to grad school at a public school. MBA programs, M.Eng programs, Law School...all 40-70K/year. If you are 80% and go to a public grad school, however, they will pay 80% of that entire tuition, fees, school medical insurance, etc, whereas if you go to a private school, you get 80% of $21,084, the national private school cap.

All in all, can easily save you ~$100K. Especially if you leverage a top school acceptance to get grants/scholarships from a lower rated public school. In the end, a few ranks makes little difference, while 100K...yeah, it's a lot.

This reflects exactly my situation at Tulane VS CU Boulder. At Tulane I had to pay out of pocket two of my 3 semesters even with 100% benefits and had to take a semester break because I had exhausted my GI benefits towards tuition for the financial year, even with grants. At CU I receive 100% of my grant money, receive free health insurance, and a couple other perks that have made the entire process much more affordable and easy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I can't remember how to print that GI bill eligibility letter that lists how many days you have left and so forth. On eBenefits it's not listed under "letters" and the VONAPP website only lists what seems to be an application for using the post 9/11 GI bill. I've already used some of mine, but I should have plenty left. Where is that proof?

edit. Okay, I resubmitted a GI bill application through VONAPP. For some reason I thought the process was the other way around. Anyway, how long does it take for a response usually?

Zeris fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 10, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't worry the VA will send you a letter declaring your eligibility every other day it seems.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

I can't remember how to print that GI bill eligibility letter that lists how many days you have left and so forth. On eBenefits it's not listed under "letters" and the VONAPP website only lists what seems to be an application for using the post 9/11 GI bill. I've already used some of mine, but I should have plenty left. Where is that proof?

edit. Okay, I resubmitted a GI bill application through VONAPP. For some reason I thought the process was the other way around. Anyway, how long does it take for a response usually?

Is this your first request? Depending on some factors it can take a couple weeks in my experience. I simply printed a screenshot of the educational benefits section of ebenefits to prove Eligibility in the short term to my schools certifying official. It has your current remaining time and % on it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I called because I didn't receive mine in the mail. The lady was actually able to email it to me because I really needed it but I don't think she was supposed to. Got it snailmail within 5 days after that

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is this your first request? Depending on some factors it can take a couple weeks in my experience. I simply printed a screenshot of the educational benefits section of ebenefits to prove Eligibility in the short term to my schools certifying official. It has your current remaining time and % on it

No, I have already used about a year of my post-9/11. I used to get those letters indicating days left for use, but can't dig it up now.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I am actually going to need my book stipend this year since most of my money is going towards my new townhouse and furnishing it since I literally own nothing but a bed and a television, and all of my books cost over $300.

Semester starts Sept 1st. When does it come in?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Cole posted:

I am actually going to need my book stipend this year since most of my money is going towards my new townhouse and furnishing it since I literally own nothing but a bed and a television, and all of my books cost over $300.

Semester starts Sept 1st. When does it come in?

Stipend hits around 1-2 weeks before classes start in my experience.

Just snag a cheap/free couch and a desk from someone you know who isn't a dirty poor bedbug-haver. You don't really need anything else if you're just a college student. There are a lot of less expensive ways try and impress women GiP.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Victor Vermis posted:

Stipend hits around 1-2 weeks before classes start in my experience.

Just snag a cheap/free couch and a desk from someone you know who isn't a dirty poor bedbug-haver. You don't really need anything else if you're just a college student. There are a lot of less expensive ways try and impress women GiP.

I'm 27. Just because I am in college doesn't mean I don't want to live like an adult. That's why I asked about bed frames earlier.

Next time I move, I want to require a moving van instead of being able to fit all of my stuff in the back of a corolla.

#finallyanadult #bigboydreams

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Cole posted:

I'm 27. Just because I am in college doesn't mean I don't want to live like an adult. That's why I asked about bed frames earlier.

Next time I move, I want to require a moving van instead of being able to fit all of my stuff in the back of a corolla.

#finallyanadult #bigboydreams

code:
If you own accent pillows
    And don't banish them to a closet shelf
If you own an oak bedroom set
    And don't leave your bed unmade and sheets unwashed
If you own a kitchen table
    And don't eat everywhere but
Your home is still a storage unit between U-HAUL trucks
    Because -and here's the rub- you aren't a home owner, you aren't married, and you don't yet have a career, my son.

Falli Wagga
May 9, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I've been trying to get all my paperwork in order to start this fall, but the cut off for turning in my Certificate of Eligibility for the post 9-11 is this Friday and I still have not gotten it in the mail. All that I get when I call the VA is some old fart who can't use a computer telling me that it is processing and that it will take some amount of time between now and the end of time then it will be mailed to me. When I first started I would check the website under status of my gi bill enrollment and it would pop up with an error, this last time I checked it had a page called Education Enrollment Status with my name and all this info including benefit level and remaining entitlement, does anyone know if this means my claim went through? Is this page good enough to give the vets center on campus? Is there like a signature or something on the Certificate of Eligibility that makes it so only that form works? Does the VA know its 2015 and they can email things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
So I applied for post-9/11 GI Bill benefits about 10 days ago, and have only received an email acknowledging it's being processed. I'm supposed to start an MBA next week. The normal payment date was apparently today.

Any idea when I get my letter of verification of benefits? I guess I'll try to call and find out in the morning. If I have to I can pay an installment (or the whole thing) and get reimbursed later, but I know that's not how the post 9/11 is supposed to work, so I'd like to avoid it. Late registration payment deadline is apparently August 28, so that might be the way to go.

Any advice on how long this takes, and whether you can actually get reimbursed?

• Locked thread