Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's a "thing" because you're FLYING THROUGH SPACE GOING TO THE MOON AND THEN BEATING UP SATAN FOR BEING INVOLVED

poo poo has escalated. "Hm let's go visit this mansion. Alright let's go into the spooky dimension, that's kind of an outlier okay?! Alright back to normal let's wander through town and then woods. Okay, up this mountain I mean it's teaming with yokai but they're human-friendly yokai mostly so lol. Let's dash underground to go to PARTY CITY, yeah! Mm, we'll be pirates today! Somethingsomething spooky town I never really played through TD my B."

"ALRIGHT LET'S CHOKESLAM SATAN FROM THE MOON"

It's kinda otherworldly!

Exactly! It's all this cool poo poo, and most of the music's like what would happen if Kenny G got his hands on a synth. Buh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pointdevice is literally the definition of insanity. I keep doing the same thing again and again and expect myself to actually get good...

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Redmark posted:

So Clownpiece's spell with the scrolling horizontal lasers is legitimately really hard, right? I'm not just incompetent, right? :ohdear:
It took me 91 tries. Usually I would have given the gently caress up by now but the wonders of Pointdevice mode...

On Normal at least, it's downright trivial. Lasers go down, you go down with them. First laser disappears from the left, you lean left a little and jump up through the hole. Lasers go up, you follow them up while hugging the bottom one and leaning right so you can go down the next hole. Repeat until over. Down, left, up, right, down, left, up, right. The timing's a little tight but there's nothing else to the card so you can focus all your energy on it.

Unless you meant the other card with horizontal lasers, but also stars. That one's pretty tough.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 17, 2015

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Yeah I meant the one with stars. Each wave individually isn't that bad but you have to get through 5 or 6 and never get pushed down too far.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

All the music from the new game is very, very good, clownpiece is good, and the game itself seems really, really hard.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Redmark posted:

Yeah I meant the one with stars. Each wave individually isn't that bad but you have to get through 5 or 6 and never get pushed down too far.

It might not actually help you out that much, but i found that once I adjusted my mindset for that attack I had a much easier time with it. Essentially I just say "gently caress it" and fly through the blue star waves unfocused. The exact formation is randomized slightly, but a lot of the time they form pretty easy lanes, and I find it's easier to let myself react to any sudden moves I need to make rather than plan for them - with the lasers waves constantly pushing you down, you don't really have time for it.

It might not be enough to help since it's not really a strategy or anything, but I did find my success rate went up overall once I stopped trying so hard :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Bug warning: you know those stage previews that play if you leave the game alone long enough? The attract mode or whatever? Well, it can and will overwrite your Pointdevice saves with actual game data, so watch out if you don't want a stage 6 playthrough replaced with a level 1 Sanae.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't even beat Doremy Sweet. Game's officially too hard for me, I will pack it away and accept it's too much.

e: It's mostly Doremy's survival card what the heck

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 17, 2015

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Legacy mode is easier because I can play it the same way I've played all the games aka bomb any time there is a moderately hard pattern. It helps that they give you a ton of lives.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm liking pointdevice mainly because I'm the kind of prideful idiot that always just ends up dying holding like five bombs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AnoHito posted:

I'm liking pointdevice mainly because I'm the kind of prideful idiot that always just ends up dying holding like five bombs.

:yeah:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnoHito posted:

This. I pretty much hate bombs. I want to get learn things and get good, not just skip everything that gives me trouble. If I could convert bombs to lives that'd be great too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can!

It's called using Reisen.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Now with pointdevice I'm able to """"appreciate""" the patterns better :smug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'm going to assume ZUN sees Pointdevice as a replacement for spellcard practice and that's why it's not in 15?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Volt Catfish posted:

i'm going to assume ZUN sees Pointdevice as a replacement for spellcard practice and that's why it's not in 15?

He seems whimsical when it comes to incorporating spellcard practice.

And yes, Undonge bombs are great.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Reisen's bombs are really amazing. Boy do i wish i had a bomb left. Just one. One more bomb for Clownpiece.

e: Yay i beat Clownpiece, turns out Junko is pretty lovely too.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2015

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Strange thought, stage 5 bosses have this nasty habit of becoming playable characters in future games; unless they're acutely and stupidly difficult, like Rin and Shou.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clownpiece has been explicitly powered up by Junko though, so I don't really see her showing up again outside of maybe a photo game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clownpiece is definitely going to be in Great Fairy Wars 2.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh man, Junko's final spellcard is so stupid. Why do i have to sit through 30 seconds of auto-pilot dodging before i can attempt the hard part again

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Which is the best tune of LoLK?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Junko's theme is pretty good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I never played the demo, but I like Doremy Sweet's song.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The extra stage theme is good too. That bass.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'll probably know which one I like best once Marasy plays it. An RD Sounds arrange w/ Meramipop is also acceptable.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The stage 2 theme.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Give me the remixes, i know they are out there already

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Manslaughter posted:

Give me the remixes, i know they are out there already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6ewvI1j-4

There's a pretty decent one of Pure Furies already.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Toss-up between stage 2 boss and stage 3 theme for me.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just tried the new game, got as far as Clownpiece's spellcard where the moon spins around blocking the bullet streams, died to impassable bullet walls 20 times in a row before deciding "gently caress this trial-and-error bullshit" and turned it off. I didn't feel like any of the characters before her had interesting or memorable designs, and I've forgotten all the music already.

I don't know what it is, I used to love this series, but the last game I really liked was UFO, nothing after that has managed to hold my interest in either gameplay, characters or music. :sigh:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's just a puzzle spell-card. It's pretty much the opposite of trial-and-error. The only thing is that if you're playing Pointdevice it's harder to bomb through that type of card than it is otherwise.

No accounting for taste on the characters, of course, but I've never quite been able to understand what makes certain chars fan favorites and others not anyway. I haven't actually translated any of the games, since it feels easier to just check things out on the wiki when there's a clearer idea of what the deal is, and I just skip all the dialogue anyway.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Redmark posted:

No accounting for taste on the characters, of course, but I've never quite been able to understand what makes certain chars fan favorites and others not anyway. I haven't actually translated any of the games, since it feels easier to just check things out on the wiki when there's a clearer idea of what the deal is, and I just skip all the dialogue anyway.

Do you mean in general or is this about Clownpiece? Because a clown fairy on the moon dressed as the American flag who attacks you with literal stars and stripes is so out of the left field compared to anything else in Touhou an extreme reaction is kinda expected.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Redmark posted:

I think there has to be a certain amount of meme- and combo-potential. People like Kogasa because you can make all sorts of dumb jokes about her and what she does, but I don't see many comics about Tojiko (because her thing is "has no legs but is not Mima").

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tojiko's thing is that she was murdered by a close ally but is incredibly chill with it because being a ghost is hella cool. Also she is so chill that despite being an angry ghost she is becoming just a regular ghost because she is not angry enough at Futo to stay an angry ghost.

It is also kind of silly to use Tojiko as an example of an unpopular character since she is a dialogue-less midboss (even if she is the best dialogue-less midboss), so it's no wonder she's not that popular. Meme-potential is definitely one of the most important things in a touhou's popularity though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tojiko's thing is that she was murdered by a close ally but is incredibly chill with it because being a ghost is hella cool. Also she is so chill that despite being an angry ghost she is becoming just a regular ghost because she is not angry enough at Futo to stay an angry ghost.

It is also kind of silly to use Tojiko as an example of an unpopular character since she is a dialogue-less midboss (even if she is the best dialogue-less midboss), so it's no wonder she's not that popular. Meme-potential is definitely one of the most important things in a touhou's popularity though.

Yeah but the other dialogue-less midbosses Koakuma and Momiji are pretty popular so that's not a factor that seems to matter when it comes to popularity.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

Yeah but the other dialogue-less midbosses Koakuma and Momiji are pretty popular so that's not a factor that seems to matter when it comes to popularity.

They're lame though. :colbert:

Ok, maybe popularity is just arbitrary.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
A Touhou characters popularity comes from either being a playable character or being moe. Koakuma and Momiji are super moe. Tojiko is not moe. That's really all there is to it.

Edit: also Koakuma and Momiji have no characterization so it's easy to pretend they act like whatever an average Touhou otaku finds desirable in a waifu

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Two characters which never even got official art have more than twice the amount of fan-art as one that did. Poor Tojiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Didn't Momiji's popularity explode after "Rabies Bite" was revealed?