Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

goddammit olympus make with the 300 prime already :argh:

goddamn right :argh::hf::argh:

Also goddamn the 40-150mm f/2.8 is a trooper. Two days in what basically amounted to a swamp and it ran like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just traded my 100-300mm for the Olympus 60mm macro. Initial impressions are very good! The manual focus is smooth and very tactile, it takes nice non-macro shots, and it's really sharp. Going to go out tomorrow afternoon to shoot some bugs and flowers to see how it works in the field. It focuses very quickly too, much better than my 20mm f1.7.
I also messed around with some other lenses in the store, my next lens will definitely be the summilux 15mm to replace the 20mm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you'll really like that 60mm. Focus is great when you use the limiter.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bobfather posted:

Hey cool man. I answered your question in the sale thread, but it’s 1300 actuations.

Paypal sent, posted in SA Mart thread as well. :tipshat:

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

You want wide in NYC if you wanna shoot buildings.

Thanks, I'll probably rent the Fuji 14mm for the week, then, to try out something new.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I know this was a few days ago, but if you use iOS, you should really check out the PhotoPills app. Not only does it let you figure out where various astronomical objects are, but you can plan your trip in advance and based on Google Maps, figure out where the object will be in the sky at a particular angle. This is awesome if you're shooting a mountain for example and want the Milky Way coming out of its peak - you can figure out what dates and what time would give you the best shots.

Can't recommend it and Sky Safari enough.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Borachon posted:

Thanks, I'll probably rent the Fuji 14mm for the week, then, to try out something new.

You can rental the 14mm from Adorama at 18th st from Thursday afternoon to Monday morning for a cheap weekend price. Probably 20 bux. Check adoramarental.com

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Put my OM-D up for sale but then I started to play around with it. In short, I've decided to do a 180 and keep it. After all, it's pretty pretty pretty good. However, I'd need a sexy little strap of some sort. Other OM-D users: Are you using a wrist strap or a shoulder strap? Could you show me some nice ones?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use a Sun Sniper strap, they own.

e: http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/the-traveler.html

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The sun super with the steel cable inside is a great strap. If you don't need the steel cable, there are lots of cheaper shoulder strap options. I've been using a $25 Chinese shoulder harness for over a year. Ironically, the plates that screw into the cameras have "CANON, MADE IN JAPAN" inscribed inside them.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Fart Car '97 posted:

The sun super with the steel cable inside is a great strap. If you don't need the steel cable, there are lots of cheaper shoulder strap options. I've been using a $25 Chinese shoulder harness for over a year. Ironically, the plates that screw into the cameras have "CANON, MADE IN JAPAN" inscribed inside them.

You get some weird engravings on counterfeit stuff out of china. There are a lot of folex's out there that the caseback engraving is "MONARCH POLFY GELENA SHITINERAND" (Montres Rolex, Geneva Switzerland)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the42ndtourist posted:

Is there much difference between the M10 and M5 other than "weatherproofing"?
The EVF for the 10 has a faster display I believe and focus peaking which is fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

Put my OM-D up for sale but then I started to play around with it. In short, I've decided to do a 180 and keep it. After all, it's pretty pretty pretty good. However, I'd need a sexy little strap of some sort. Other OM-D users: Are you using a wrist strap or a shoulder strap? Could you show me some nice ones?

I've been happy with my Blackrapid Cross Shot

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The Fotasy Quick Strap is a good sub $20 option if you drop the "sexy" requirement.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Xabi posted:

I bougth the Peak Design Leash when I had a Canon 60D, while it may have been slightly thin to carry the 60D it is pretty perfect for me with the E-M5. It is thin, lightweight, flexible and stows away easily in a smaller camera bag with the camera.

I also have the Clutch and the Cuff. The Clutch is useless with the small body of the E-M5, even with a camera grip attached, and the Cuff seems to be useless overall (regardless of the camera body size).

https://peakdesign.com/store/leash

The only time the cuff could have been of any use this happened ...

when I lost my grip on the camera.

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

More fun with the Rokinon 12mm f/2.0. Who needs a new desktop wallpaper?

Jet landing in Atlanta by Manuel Rivera, on Flickr

Taken from the jumpseat of a CRJ900.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm so loving jealous of the views pilots must get...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone had luck with B&H price matching after the fact? In theory I could return my X-T1 and 23mm and buy it again for $250 less right now.

I'll call them in a bit; just wondering if I should get my hopes up.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone had luck with B&H price matching after the fact? In theory I could return my X-T1 and 23mm and buy it again for $250 less right now.

I'll call them in a bit; just wondering if I should get my hopes up.

They'll typically price match if it's in the return period but it depends on who you get on the horn. AFAIK they have no set policy other than "we price at MAP or below."

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I bought a 16mm f/1.4 for my low light wedding needs

....and 23mm SLR magic Hyperprime because I have poor impulse control

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've done it through their online chat within the return period. Gave the guy my order number and he did the rest; it was credited back to my card in a week. Took maybe 10 minutes of my time total.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I'm so pleased with my new a7rii. I can't recommend it enough, the silent shutter is fantastic for street shooting and concerts, and the image stabilisation gives me great shots where I would have had a blurry mess on my a7r.

While putting it through its paces, I finally found an application for my Dad's old 500mm f/8 reflex: air shows! The focal length is nice and long while being light enough to carry around easily, the fixed aperture I can work around since I don't want shutter speeds too high anyway (or the propellers look weird) and the ISO performance of the camera is stellar, and shooting handheld at 500mm isn't a problem with steadyshot. Some pics below from this weekend - uncropped!

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Those are fantastic. Love the Chinook. I've always wondered how good the IBIS on the new Sony's are.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Animal posted:

Those are fantastic. Love the Chinook. I've always wondered how good the IBIS on the new Sony's are.

Thanks! The IBIS does an amazing job, and it seems to be even better on native lenses. No problems whatsoever with night shooting now; both the ISO performance and IBIS make it a breeze. I have yet to try extensive macro shooting with the IBIS though, I'll be finding out how that goes soon enough.

In the case of the 500mm I was never able to get anything sharp on my a7r previously, even firmly bolted to a tripod using 10 second timer. I attribute the sharp(ish) shots I'm getting now down to a combination of IBIS and EFCS, as I'm pretty sure the shutter was causing blurry shots in the past. To be fair the lens isn't crazy sharp at the best of times, but now I'm pretty convinced the camera had a big part to play.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jimlad posted:

I'm so pleased with my new a7rii. I can't recommend it enough, the silent shutter is fantastic for street shooting and concerts, and the image stabilisation gives me great shots where I would have had a blurry mess on my a7r.
FYI, in silent shutter and/or continuous drive modes, the sensor's ADC resolution drops from 13 to 12 bits. So at least in low light, you want to use EFCS or full mechanical. --edit: And single shot mode.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

!!!

Holy poo poo!

If you haven't yet, add this to the aviation thread.

E: aviation photo thread is locked for archiving?! :(

Rot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 20, 2015

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

FYI, in silent shutter and/or continuous drive modes, the sensor's ADC resolution drops from 13 to 12 bits. So at least in low light, you want to use EFCS or full mechanical. --edit: And single shot mode.

Yeah I'm well aware, but in some situations silent shooting is invaluable so I don't mind taking the hit. I don't see a difference in practical shooting anyway though; in the cases where I need silent shutter it's unlikely to bother me. I agree it's disappointing that Sony insist on limiting bit depth, both by default and even more in certain situations like with silent shutter/bulb mode, but hopefully with enough shouting they'll see sense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't even have any idea why Sony decided to do that, because there's no technical necessity to limit it. There may be an user experience part to it, because I've read that each additional bit doubles the read-out time, and Sony felt that it needed to have the camera go cut to live view as fast as possible during silent mode (IDK, due to lack of mechanical feedback of the shutter) and in continuous drive to keep doing AF and giving EVF feedback. Doesn't explain bulb mode, tho.

That said, they have patents for high speed ADCs, so maybe we'll see native 14bit or more soon, and that in all modes.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Xabi posted:

Gordy Straps Gordy Straps Gordy Straps Gordy Straps

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does IBIS, on the sony FF bodies that feature it, work with their proprietary adapters (LA-EA 3/4)?

It seems weird that Sony started out with E-mount cameras not having IBIS and instead making lenses with IS, then flip-flopped back - although their SLT line has always had it. But sensibility never really seems to have been a feature of Sony's camera game.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It seems weird that Sony started out with E-mount cameras not having IBIS and instead making lenses with IS, then flip-flopped back - although their SLT line has always had it.

I think it mostly had to do with Olympus making GBS threads the bed with corp execs and then having to give up trade secrets (5-axis ibis) for Sony to bail them out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any advantage/disadvantage for using a mechanical shutter on my X-T10 over an electronic shutter? Obviously the electronic shutter is silent, which can be a plus.

edit: truth be told, I like the sound of the mechanical shutter, but it wouldn't be ideal for street photography.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 20, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage for using a mechanical shutter on my X-T10 over an electronic shutter? Obviously the electronic shutter is silent, which can be a plus.

Certain features only work with the mechanical shutter; I can't remember which ones though. But if you're using only the E shutter and there's a feature that doesn't work for no apparent reason, highly likely it's because the mechanical shutter isn't enabled. Plus also the possibility of warping fast moving objects.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Flickering under artificial lighting is also an issue on electronic shutter. How much of an issue depends on shutter speed and the cycle rate of the florescent bulbs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jimlad posted:

While putting it through its paces, I finally found an application for my Dad's old 500mm f/8 reflex: air shows! The focal length is nice and long while being light enough to carry around easily, the fixed aperture I can work around since I don't want shutter speeds too high anyway (or the propellers look weird) and the ISO performance of the camera is stellar, and shooting handheld at 500mm isn't a problem with steadyshot. Some pics below from this weekend - uncropped!

These are all great

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

alkanphel posted:

Certain features only work with the mechanical shutter; I can't remember which ones though. But if you're using only the E shutter and there's a feature that doesn't work for no apparent reason, highly likely it's because the mechanical shutter isn't enabled. Plus also the possibility of warping fast moving objects.

The big one is that it as far as I can tell disables the hotshoe.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

I've done it through their online chat within the return period. Gave the guy my order number and he did the rest; it was credited back to my card in a week. Took maybe 10 minutes of my time total.
Just did the same. Thanks for the heads up about the chat.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 20, 2015

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

These are all great

Thanks. Looking at them now, I noticed there's a clear hot spot in the middle which could possibly be vignetting or some contrast effect caused by the secondary mirror. Either way, I'll have to try to correct it - here's another photo where I think I've largely fixed it:

And another with a wide-angle for good measure (this was the first time I took the new camera out for a spin a couple of weeks ago):

In the above photo I did notice some posterization at full res in the lower left corner. I can't help but wonder if 14-bit would fix this, although that said it is the first time I've noticed it in any of my photos.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 20, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Jimlad posted:

Thanks. Looking at them now, I noticed there's a clear hot spot in the middle which could possibly be vignetting or some contrast effect caused by the secondary mirror. Either way, I'll have to try to correct it - here's another photo where I think I've largely fixed it:

yeah, I definitely noticed the vignetting in the thumbnails, assumed it was added in post.

Great shots by the way, taking a 500mm to an airshow sounds like a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Ugh, I think my E-M10 is dead

Whenever I switch it on, the shutter (loudly) fires and the LCD turns on, but the camera is completely unresponsive and then turns off a few seconds later. If it's connected to my computer via the USB cable, it'll display the normal "Storage/MTP/Print/Exit" menu, and I'm able to access the photos on the SD card if I put it into storage mode. However, once I exit the menu and remove the cable, it'll fire the shutter and then turn off. I've already tried different lenses, batteries and SD cards to no avail.

Have any other Olympus owners had issues like this? The camera and lenses have never been dropped or come into contact with water. Sadly, I'm stuck in Africa for another month and won't be able to send it out for repair. I only purchased it a month and a half ago, too :sigh: