Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Regarding the talk in the beginning about "is that a thin man or a civilian" I believe that the graphics engine will render civilians, but all in shadow color, when you don't officially know where they are (see also silhouettes under the battle scanner targeting emanations), but will simply not render enemies. So, the fact that you could see them indicates they're civilians.

VV: You can use them to research the "heal faster" thing that used to be in the Officer Training School. (Possibly other stuff also, but that's as far as I've gotten.)

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SaffronKit posted:

I agree with you on the first point tbh. While pretty realistic that it's take at least a month or so with the best medical technology has to offer at X-com to get a soldier back and combat ready after having multiple parts of their body melted by plasma, it's not very fun to see a soldier benched that long just cause they took a couple of stray shots.

Do Alien Surgeries do anything in Long War? Because it would be nice if a captured Alien Surgery device could be used to instantly recover a soldier, regardless of wound or fatigue timer.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yowza. Yeah. I've been getting kind of lazy with checking to see who-got-what promotion after each video. I'll just do that here:

:siren:Congratulations Nekomimi-Maiden in making Corporal! Nekomimi-Maiden needs a nickname!:siren:

Yami-Fenrir suggested Tonesetter

A long time ago Nekomimi-Maiden asked for Kitten

Tonesetter works, sure. Personally, I'm more fond of Catgirl for Nekomimi.

Cybersix
Jul 12, 2005
some kinky chick dressed up in a black cape and matching tights
I'm a fan of Tonesetter given that fine, fine performance.

That was a good mission - plenty tense in places, some lucky rolls of the dice for Thejoshie (a LOT of lucky rolls of the dice, really...), and several promotions to boot! With uh, minimal casualties.

Cybersix fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 13, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lotish posted:

Do Alien Surgeries do anything in Long War? Because it would be nice if a captured Alien Surgery device could be used to instantly recover a soldier, regardless of wound or fatigue timer.

they're part of a foundry project to speed up wounded healing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SaffronKit posted:

I agree with you on the first point tbh. While pretty realistic that it's take at least a month or so with the best medical technology has to offer at X-com to get a soldier back and combat ready after having multiple parts of their body melted by plasma, it's not very fun to see a soldier benched that long just cause they took a couple of stray shots.

On that topic, how long is it if you take a fatigued guy out? I thought it was about a week, which is understandable if a bit long.

And Tonesetter is one hell of a nickname.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After a bit of thinking, I had a flash of inspiration and wanted to give Nekomimi a callback nickname. I'm going to toss Rookie up for a nickname suggestion, in honor of her being the most experienced rookie X-Com had ever had.

seaborgium posted:

On that topic, how long is it if you take a fatigued guy out? I thought it was about a week, which is understandable if a bit long.

Courtesy officers that go on missions, non-officers get either 4 or 3 days of fatigue (I forget which off the top of my head) and the officers get the ol' 5 day week of fatigue to sit out.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

SaffronKit posted:

the officers get the ol' 5 day week of fatigue to sit out.
Commanding is hard! It's like you're doing all the running for the other guy, except actually not.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
A fatigued soldier who is taken out on a mission while still resting up gets a phantom box of damage; even if they never so much as get shot at, they strain something and are out for roughly a week or more, just as if they'd taken a box of damage past their armor. I'm not sure if this adds to or is replaced by actual injuries.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Endomorphic posted:

Commanding is hard! It's like you're doing all the running for the other guy, except actually not.

Well, XCOM does have a lot of paperwork. Someone has to fill out all the forms saying why they shot at the slavering, permanently hungry, extremely hostile alien species instead of capturing it to place in a zoo so little Billy could see it on his field trip.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Whew, finally caught up due to having the itch to play XCOM after watching a video or two, but man, this LP has been great, I'm learning so much. I'm also surprised by how, well, LONG, this mod is, since you've done so many missions and killed so many, yet only recently gone past the first big story hurdle. Which is great, since it means lots of videos!

I'm happy to sign up and probably die, since the campaign is becoming very unfriendly to rookies, but all I care about is that I sound bloody British as plasma bolts pierce my lungs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

A fatigued soldier who is taken out on a mission while still resting up gets a phantom box of damage; even if they never so much as get shot at, they strain something and are out for roughly a week or more, just as if they'd taken a box of damage past their armor. I'm not sure if this adds to or is replaced by actual injuries.

Based on an LP I took a glance at, it might actually be doubled for fatigued soldiers. I remember some soldier that got 2 months off duty for a fairly light injury.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Thankfully the 'Dynamic War' option makes things a lot shorter. I didn't start with that because I'm afraid of changing things, but with how we're focusing the research early it should make things much shorter than other presences online, barring horrific tragedies. Its pretty remarkable we're doing as well as we are given our lack of overall training.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Well that went well. Congratulations to everyone for not dying horribly.

As far as nicknames go, Nekomimi did set the tone pretty well, so Tonesetter fits.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tonesetter is pretty boss, though it made me wonder if "Pitch Pipe" might be an alternative, since those are used to set tones/pitch.

Though I think Tonesetter is pretty much in by now.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
33 days. owww. Commander why did you run me into Cyberdisk overwatch at point blank range. And not even give me the last kill to make up for it. :colbert:

Well, at least I'm not dead.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

legoman727 posted:

33 days. owww. Commander why did you run me into Cyberdisk overwatch at point blank range. And not even give me the last kill to make up for it. :colbert:

Well, at least I'm not dead.

He needed someone else to send on holiday now that the European Hanger is actually in use.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Well besides the Legoman injury that went really well.

Although it is driving me crazy when you are not using command... would make a lot of these encounters sure things. I think having unused commands in your pocket at the end of a mission is a waste.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Command has such a long cooldown too that you really want to be using it as early and often as possible.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

How long do you think it'll be until we start seeing MECs? In my own experimental game I've hit the point that I can and probably should start building some, but so much stuff is so different I'm wondering whose limbs I should chop off. Thinking of waiting for the LP to catch up enough to start dealing advice on the topic.

Two other questions: is there a way in LW to reduce panic in a country with a satellite already? I'm verging on losing a covered country if I gently caress up another terror mission, and I'm wondering if I have a prayer besides "maybe Exalt will put a cell there for me to wipe". And for anyone playing with the DLC on, any tips for the last Furies mission? It just popped up, and if it's as jacked up as the last Zhang-series mission, plus still with the timer... I might just skip it. I've got plenty of psionics, to be honest.

Edit: Yep, after 10 tries this is just not even remotely fun or fair. Yes, I'm sure whoever modded in seekers that stay invisible (apparently above the sphere of a battle scanner) and thin men snipers with squad sight felt very clever, but gently caress them. Who would ever want to play that?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 15, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Short mission today. I wanted to put this out yesterday but had to re-encode to fix all the resolution settings (need to fix my defaults in the new version of Blender).

I was a little hard on Fister, though I don't regret the choice I made and would have made it again. It was ultimately my fault this mission went south (avoidable activation).

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You know, just going by the description here, but all of these missions that go south seem to involve Cyberdiscs...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well...at least you didn't lose anyone?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Yeah, that map is poo poo even on Vanilla. There's no real good cover and it's easy to activate a lot of pods. You sounded so happy when it was just two cyberdiscs, too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well that was fun, but that's what you get for disturbing the alien's picnic.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
We had a pretty dangerous statistical situation going on. I did some napkin-calculations later and found that Fister had about an 11% chance of out-right killing the cyberdisc in one shot, and the very minimum damage he would do if he hit was about 7, which isn't great but at least we would have been able to finish off one cyberdisc and suppress the second. There was a backup-plan for missing the cyberdisc... But in the end we were going to have a lot of people out of cover. we effectively had like a 13% chance to fail the mission.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well. nobody died and that's what matters.

And, once again, you should have listened to me. Should've just left germany and our stupid music laws to the aliens. Let them figure that poo poo out.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hey, how are we going to make sure that GEMA is destroyed if we don't go in there ourselves and blow it up? :colbert:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

sheep-dodger posted:

Hey, how are we going to make sure that GEMA is destroyed if we don't go in there ourselves and blow it up? :colbert:

The point is that the aliens have to deal with GEMA. They'll be so bogged down doing that they won't be able to get their UFO's off the ground because the sound they make when they fly is copyrighted. :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat Booty, I could tell as soon as you ordered Spudd to the side that you were going to have to abort. That activation really killed your chances at beating that map.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
I kept thinking that the Cyberdiscs were going to grenade the car! :cripes:

Is there any mission/map you wouldn't bring a motion tracker along?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Welp, right back to her bunk for my X-Com counterpart.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
One heavy (heh) injury isn't bad in the long run. You're starting to make much better choices in terms of when to retreat.

I absolutely think you were crazy using the car for cover but I don't think you had any other choice.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
That's certainly one way for the game to celebrate your 50th mission :toot:
Still no dead soldiers and 1 dead seeker is still a win, by the numbers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fister "Bad Show" Roboto

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
No one died so that is a great abort mission in my opinion.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I can understand why you ordered everyone to get the gently caress out. Two Cyberdisks one way, an entire pod of aliens flanking you the other, and a Mechiod just walking into range? Yeah, time to get the gently caress out.

Cybersix
Jul 12, 2005
some kinky chick dressed up in a black cape and matching tights
My best friend and I have taken to watching this together in the evenings when it comes out. The two cyberdiscs might have been do-able - might - but as soon as we saw that Mechtoid, both of us immediately blurted out "oh gently caress that." Sometimes there's just nothing to do but live to fight another day.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cybersix posted:

My best friend and I have taken to watching this together in the evenings when it comes out. The two cyberdiscs might have been do-able - might - but as soon as we saw that Mechtoid, both of us immediately blurted out "oh gently caress that." Sometimes there's just nothing to do but live to fight another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Oh man, that white-knuckle interception. Sorry for blowing up the whole ship, Commander, but Dee Ehm and I had to make them pay for the insult of sending such a garbage pilot into our airspace (guy hit 5 out of 12 shots, I think he was watching TV or something while piloting). There is hope for XCOM in the air yet, sir, so I hope you'll have a little more faith in your pilots going forward.

Well, back to repair bay. Give my regards to the boys and girls on the ground.

• Locked thread