Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If you seriously think the casual pejorative use of "human being" has anything to do with being gay and not everything to do with a man being effeminate or disregarding traditional roles then I'm sorry but we're operating on two completely different wavelengths and I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hopHeadless posted:

Where are you getting the "conflates weakness with penetration" part from? Literally every woman I know uses the "Fuckboy" to mean a misogynist who prioritizes getting laid above all else.

I've mostly only seen it used to mean "generally incompetent man" but then I've also never heard anyone actually say it out loud unironically IRL so :shrug:

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
So you're saying that Fuckboy means an effeminate/gender atypical man then? Not sure how you got there but yeah I guess if that's how it's being used then sure that's homophobic. Never heard it used to describe effeminate guys before though. Usually just overly pushy or obviously thirsty dudes.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Lady Naga posted:

If you seriously think the casual pejorative use of "human being" has anything to do with being gay and not everything to do with a man being effeminate or disregarding traditional roles then I'm sorry but we're operating on two completely different wavelengths and I don't know what to tell you.

Fuckboy doesn't mean an effeminate man it means the sorta guy who responds to "whats up" with "jerking off im really horny" or "im going to go take a shower" with "can i join ;)".

Also homosexuality and femininity are conflated and that's a huge part of the reason "human being" is used the way it is.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

hopHeadless posted:

So you're saying that Fuckboy means an effeminate/gender atypical man then? Not sure how you got there but yeah I guess if that's how it's being used then sure that's homophobic. Never heard it used to describe effeminate guys before though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fanJQv7a248

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 18, 2015

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

e: not really worth getting involved in this derail.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 18, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

hopHeadless posted:

Where are you getting the "conflates weakness with penetration" part from? Literally every woman I know uses the "Fuckboy" to mean a misogynist who prioritizes getting laid above all else.

This is the only context I've seen it in, for MRAs and Gamergaters and so on.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

Fuckboy doesn't mean an effeminate man it means the sorta guy who responds to "whats up" with "jerking off im really horny" or "im going to go take a shower" with "can i join ;)".

Also homosexuality and femininity are conflated and that's a huge part of the reason "human being" is used the way it is.

This is exactly it.

Fuckboy is used for general men who are pushy for sex, MRAs, and the like where there is an overlap between these.

There is no link between this and homosexuality. You do not call a dude a fuckboy as "lmao you're secretly gay/effeminate"

You cannot compare the two, and to attempt to undermines how insulting "human being" is as an insult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hopHeadless posted:

Yeah so what does that have to do with being gay? How is getting laid supposed to be emasculating? Honestly not following you here.

Yeah, I've only heard it used as a rough synonym for sleazy douchebag, and always in the context of hitting on women.

There's a difference between "you gently caress boys" and "you are a fuckboy".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Etymology on internet slang is always sketchy but it's generally accepted that the term's been used as a casual insult in rap way longer than white girls on Tumblr.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
gently caress is a very versatile prefix, if nothing else.

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
I guess slang sometimes has very contradictory definitions depending on who's using it, and that's as far as I'm willing to stick my neck out on that one

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I've only heard it used as a rough synonym for sleazy douchebag, and always in the context of hitting on women.

There's a difference between "you gently caress boys" and "you are a fuckboy".

This may stun and confound you, but rappers typically twist and change words in order to fit a rhyme scheme or generally make some sort of clever reference, while still retaining the meaning of the original words :ssh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mods please change my name to "fuccboi etymology" tia

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rap music is good, and correct.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cabinet posted:

Rap music is good, and correct.

Unironically.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At least nobody here has ever or will ever get laid so nobody has to take it personally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Buncha fuccbois itt

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013
This latuff guy sure is great.

Or bad.

Or whatever will get the thread back to that instead of discussing the proper use of something that was said in DBD.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think we can all agree that Chris Muir is a fuckboy.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

LorrdErnie posted:

Didn't the fuckboys go to war with the skeletons or something in Tumblr lore?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think we can all agree that Chris Muir is a fuckboy.

I think we can all agree that we are old and uncool and will never figure out what those dang kids are talking about these days :corsair:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Radish posted:

That's not bad but I would have like it to be a foot kicking her out.

How long are that woman's arms?

Lady Naga posted:

Etymology on internet slang is always sketchy but it's generally accepted that the term's been used as a casual insult in rap way longer than white girls on Tumblr.

On Tumblr, it seems to be a purely absurdist term with no real meaning. Something about fighting an army of skeletons? I don't really understand, but there has been some handwringing that it shouldn't be used because of homophobic connotations. For the most part, though, I don't think the people who made it a meme on Tumblr were even aware that it had any other meaning.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I care a lot about the word fuccboi on the internet

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Calling a man a "fuckboy" is a jab at his tendency to sleep around a lot (or want to sleep around a lot).

This is typically a criticism of women, and is such a huge cultural touchstone that we have dozens of words for shaming them over it (slut, whore, loose, etc.)

So you're taking a criticism historically linked to women, and transplanting it onto men without really changing much context-wise.

And effeminate typically describes the attempt to describe a man using female characteristics...

You're right, I guess it means nothing.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

In other news, apples are oranges.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This one seems more relevant to the thread pretty much all the time, even now:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Why does that man have an anus where his mouth belongs?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What a fuckboy

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
When I was scanning the thread, for a second I thought the Fuckbarn was used for its intended homoerotic purposes :negative:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Why does that man have an anus where his mouth belongs?

Tinsley accidentally drew himself into the comic.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

quote:

Fuckboy Derail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnq5mCau9s

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

:sigh: Two weeks of this poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Naga posted:

Calling a man a "fuckboy" is a jab at his tendency to sleep around a lot (or want to sleep around a lot).

This is typically a criticism of women, and is such a huge cultural touchstone that we have dozens of words for shaming them over it (slut, whore, loose, etc.)

So you're taking a criticism historically linked to women, and transplanting it onto men without really changing much context-wise.

And effeminate typically describes the attempt to describe a man using female characteristics...

You're right, I guess it means nothing.

But where is Pepe Silvia?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Starshark posted:

:sigh: Two weeks of this poo poo.

Hah. Implying this "scandal" is going to end soon.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
We are gently caress Boys!
gently caress Boys!
Cucky-crazy gently caress Boys!
gently caress Boys!

And that's as far as I want to take that.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
P-p-political cartoons and "urban culture"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lotta buttmad fuckbois bein really goony about dumb internet jokes itt.

• Locked thread