Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
I've been out of the country for 2 of the last 4 years and I think the crediting agencies put some sort of hold on my reports. Apparently I need to prove my identity to the agencies past just providing SSN DOB NAME ADD etc.

Anyone have any experience with this/ have dealt with remedying the situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

dead lettuce posted:

I don't see an Amazon offer on my BCE either. Dang.

Does anyone know roughly how long it would take to get a Citi DoubleCash card after applying? I have a 738 FICO, 765 TransUnion/Experian according CreditKarma, so there shouldn't be any hold-ups on my application. I get offers in the mail from them every month too.

I'm trying to time my application just right since I'd like to do a balance transfer, but want to see if I can bump up my credit score a bit more first by paying down my only CC with a balance by another $1000-2000.

Mine took a few weeks, but I have just moved, so they had to take a week to inform me that they needed a paystub and a proof of new address.

If you call in after you get a screen telling you to wait for additional communication, you can expedite the process.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to have an Amex SPG for years, and then got my fiance to sign up for one to get the sign-up bonus. Then I cancelled mine in Dec 2013 because having two was pretty pointless. I'm a secondary user on her card though.

So the question is, can I get a sign-up bonus by signing up for the card under my name, or would I have to do the business version now?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Sign up bonuses for personal cards for AMEX are once per lifetime. You can try for the business version.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Speaking of once-per-lifetime Amex bonuses, the Amex JetBlue card offers 20,000 points for $1,000 spend in 3 months. This is enough for a roundtrip flight, and would be a great end-of-year pickup for anybody who has useful JetBlue flights out of their home base. Why should you get it before the end of the year? The Amex/JetBlue relationship terminates at the end of the year, and thus this card will stop taking new applications. Much like the US Airways Barclaycard at the beginning of this year, it can make sense to pick this one up before it disappears forever.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pig slut lisa posted:

Speaking of once-per-lifetime Amex bonuses, the Amex JetBlue card offers 20,000 points for $1,000 spend in 3 months. This is enough for a roundtrip flight, and would be a great end-of-year pickup for anybody who has useful JetBlue flights out of their home base. Why should you get it before the end of the year? The Amex/JetBlue relationship terminates at the end of the year, and thus this card will stop taking new applications. Much like the US Airways Barclaycard at the beginning of this year, it can make sense to pick this one up before it disappears forever.

Great, thanks. I'll try to take advantage of this for holiday flying. I'll probably end up canceling it before the end of the year to avoid the $40 annual fee. Is it possible to just downgrade it to a free card instead?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Blinky2099 posted:

Great, thanks. I'll try to take advantage of this for holiday flying. I'll probably end up canceling it before the end of the year to avoid the $40 annual fee. Is it possible to just downgrade it to a free card instead?

Hard to say. I've never done a retention call or product change with Amex before.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dead lettuce posted:

Does anyone know roughly how long it would take to get a Citi DoubleCash card after applying? I have a 738 FICO, 765 TransUnion/Experian according CreditKarma, so there shouldn't be any hold-ups on my application.

followup: I got mine after exactly a week.

baram. fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 26, 2015

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
If I get the Amex/JetBlue card, will my points disappear when their relationship terminates?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Otis Reddit posted:

If I get the Amex/JetBlue card, will my points disappear when their relationship terminates?

No. You accrue points with the card but every statement cycle AMEX sends the points to JetBlue.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Blinky2099 posted:

When I tried to downgrade my Delta Plat, I could only downgrade into other branded cards like SPG. They wouldn't let me do any of the Amex products.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Does it impact your credit score to keep a balance on a new card while it's at 0% interest?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

Does it impact your credit score to keep a balance on a new card while it's at 0% interest?

Any and all utilization affects your credit score, but maintaining under 10-15% overall utilization will have little to no effect.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

It's also worth pointing out that there's no history component to utilization, so as soon as it's paid off, it is no longer affecting your score (unlike inquiries or late payments, which age off). So the answer is "yes, but only as long as you actually are carrying the balance".

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Also the credit score is unimportant unless you are applying for a loan or credit card at the time. That 0% is there for you to utilise.

One of the student loan documentaries I watched there was a graduate transfering debt from one 0% credit card to another while paying down an enormous amount of debt. She didn't seem to have any problem getting new cards as she was making payments despite the massive administrative task involved.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nickutz posted:

I've experienced the same, SM results in immediate account closure while the phone reps will make an offer for retention.

edit: This weekend I bought my niece a Panera gift card for her birthday, and the grocery store wouldn't let me use a credit card so I had to split up my transaction. I know buying those "reload" cards like moneypak/green dot/vanilla were getting clamped down on due to the manufactured spend issue. But I had never seen gift cards specific to a retailer be restricted to cash/debit only.
How do you SM on Citi's site?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

When the Amex SPG offer went up to 30,000, a couple weeks ago, I applied for it and the PRG at the same time. I have yet to get the SPG card, but the PRG is backdated to 2012. I thought Amex stopped doing that earlier this year?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

When the Amex SPG offer went up to 30,000, a couple weeks ago, I applied for it and the PRG at the same time. I have yet to get the SPG card, but the PRG is backdated to 2012. I thought Amex stopped doing that earlier this year?

Nah, IIRC they stopped doing it for authorized users. So if you get an AmEx for your kid in 20 years, it'll be Member Since 2035, not Member Since 2012.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

The member since date on the card is backdated but the date they report to the credit bureau is no longer backdated and will accurately reflect when you opened the card.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Can I ask s general credit card question here? I recently got the Discovery IT card and have been using it a good bit. The budget program I started using says that I should keep my spending in the 30% of max credit range to increase my credit score. Is that actually correct?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Sonata Mused posted:

Can I ask s general credit card question here? I recently got the Discovery IT card and have been using it a good bit. The budget program I started using says that I should keep my spending in the 30% of max credit range to increase my credit score. Is that actually correct?

Utilization over 30% negatively impacts your FICO scores, yes. Utilization is 30% of your score, which is huge. However, there is no history to the utilization component. If you ran your utilization up to 100% (assuming it's your only card), your FICO scores might drop by 150 points. However, if you paid it all off the next month, your FICO scores would rebound. This is unlike inquiries and late payments, which age off your account after two and seven years, respectively.

If you're going to be getting other loans, don't run a high utilization. If you aren't getting other loans, and your Discover It card has 0%, then it's not a problem FICO-wise to have higher utilization, because you can pay off the card and immediately raise your FICO.

All that having been said, please don't get into the habit of running balances on rewards cards. The APR is way too high. If you can't pay it off every month, buy less, or get a card with a very low APR.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm paying off the card before it's due, so hopefully that means I won't ruin my FICO and stuff.

I'll probably look into getting a low APR card next.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Sonata Mused posted:

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm paying off the card before it's due, so hopefully that means I won't ruin my FICO and stuff.

I'll probably look into getting a low APR card next.

If you pay your entire statement balance before the due date you will always pay 0% interest, so the APR does not matter at all. This is how you should be using credit cards and the only reason why credit cards are worth bothering with.

If you're in a situation where you need to carry debt on a credit card you might want to check out the Newbie Personal Finance thread or How to Create a Budget thread depending on your circumstances.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, ok. I don't have any real reason to carry over anything, so maybe I don't need a low-apr then. I've been building a budget this last month too, but I'll still take a look at those threads. Thanks!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I got targeted for a 50k Delta sky miles card for 1k spend in 3 months. I still have about 10k MR points from an old Amex. Are the Delta points worth it? I haven't tried lately.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Residency Evil posted:

I think I got targeted for a 50k Delta sky miles card for 1k spend in 3 months. I still have about 10k MR points from an old Amex. Are the Delta points worth it? I haven't tried lately.

The skypeso is lovely even compared to other FF program points, but you'll still be able to do something with 50k miles and that's a really low spend. There's no rush to do it, though. Remember, you can only get Amex sign-up bonuses once in a lifetime.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got my AMEX jet blue card and I'm confused about bonuses/cashback.
It looks like..
- Trueblue points are the only type of reward available (correct?)
- These come in as 1 point per 1$ spent on any purchase(?), extra bonuses available for jetblue purchases
- That's 0.5% cashback if you're buying American Express gift cards (5k points = $25 gift card)... 1% for other gift cards (5k points = $50 barnes n noble)... I assume it's a little better than 1.0% cashback towards jet blue flights? From digging around online it looks like 1.3 or 1.4%.

It's looking like I'm going to spend $1k for the 20k trueblue points and then scrap the card.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 25, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Air cards for revenue-based programs (that don't have gigantic bonuses) are generally a bad idea.

Hell, even 20k TB points isn't really worth a hard pull, IMO.

As an example, I found a few heavily-restricted flights that are 12K points or $164 each way. 1.4cpp. Mint was $1099 or 120500 pts; 0.88cpp. But I did find $829 or 63100 pts for a different mint flight, 1.3cpp again. So...

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bisty Q. posted:

Air cards for revenue-based programs (that don't have gigantic bonuses) are generally a bad idea.

Hell, even 20k TB points isn't really worth a hard pull, IMO.

As an example, I found a few heavily-restricted flights that are 12K points or $164 each way. 1.4cpp. Mint was $1099 or 120500 pts; 0.88cpp. But I did find $829 or 63100 pts for a different mint flight, 1.3cpp again. So...
So 20k pts * 1.4 would be around $280 in credit after $1k spend (minus the difference of just getting straight 2% cashback on 1k in purchases, but that's only $20 minus TB rewards.)
Not bad. I don't care about hard pulls for the next 1-2 years so w/e, free money, kinda.
Thanks.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

My new property manager lets us pay rent with credit cards now, and while there is a small fee, I think I'm gonna have to use that to jump on some sign up bonuses and replenish my airline miles.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
How small is the fee?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

About $17

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
How much is your rent? That's probably worth doing.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Barry posted:

How much is your rent? That's probably worth doing.

Well, assuming rent is more than $850, he's making money on a Citi Double Cash card; throw in sign-up bonuses, and it's even more lucrative. It's almost certainly worth doing, and the moment it's not, nickutz can always revert to checks.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Checks cost money. Are you sure he wouldn't break even more with the fee? :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

becoming posted:

Well, assuming rent is more than $850, he's making money on a Citi Double Cash card; throw in sign-up bonuses, and it's even more lucrative. It's almost certainly worth doing, and the moment it's not, nickutz can always revert to checks.

Yeah it likely is, just wanted to make sure. You could do a bit better buying/liquidating GC's but it's certainly not worth the extra effort.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: vvv oh, maybe I missed the joke :(

As "becoming" mentioned, it's straight up profit with doublecash 2% cashback if rent is above $850, so that sounds worthwhile.. not to mention the added 30+ day extension you get to actually pay it.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 25, 2015

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Checks cost money. Are you sure he wouldn't break even more with the fee? :v:

I know you're joking, but the trick there is to use a Serve or Redbird that you load up with prepaid debit cards, then use the AmEx billpay to send a check, which is free. It's all still a hassle, but depending on your rent/mortgage/whatever utilities you need to pay by check, it can be worth it. I personally can't be hassled because I don't like loving around trying to load the prepaid debit cards and really my only payment I can't make with credit is daycare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

My share of the rent is 575, so after I hit the sign up bonus I would switch back to my bank bill pay.

edit: Or I could cover the whole rent at 1150 but then I imagine the fee doubles with it.