Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brutus billed himself as The Butcher for a Clash card. Me getting all excited thinking Abdullah was gonna wrestle Hogan. then me seeing the preview :kingsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

Brutus billed himself as The Butcher for a Clash card. Me getting all excited thinking Abdullah was gonna wrestle Hogan. then me seeing the preview :kingsley:

Hogan vs. The Butcher was a Starrcade-quality main event, I'll have you know!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the name of that book that describes how someone Bischoffed the gently caress out of Sony Pictures in the 90s?

Hit & Run

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I've been slowly working my way through Nitros on the network and it struck me today how quickly the nWo turned to poo poo. I'm only in September 96 and they've already added Virgil to the gang. So that means the angle had three good months tops at a time when wrestling moved a lot more slowly.

I'm sure this has come up before in the thread but the position that Vincent took in the nWo was originally extended to Charles Wright, AKA Papa Shango/Kama/the Godfather. Virgil got the job because he heard about this and said he'd do it for half the salary they offered Wright.

I don't know if that would have been that much better, like maybe people at the time didn't think Virgil was as big a joke as we do now. And to be honest if they did get Wright I almost think the character wouldn't have been booked as a pitiful hanger-on. For all I know it was a tactic to lure the Undertaker away, since Wright is and was his best friend

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

I'm sure this has come up before in the thread but the position that Vincent took in the nWo was originally extended to Charles Wright, AKA Papa Shango/Kama/the Godfather. Virgil got the job because he heard about this and said he'd do it for half the salary they offered Wright.

I don't know if that would have been that much better, like maybe people at the time didn't think Virgil was as big a joke as we do now. And to be honest if they did get Wright I almost think the character wouldn't have been booked as a pitiful hanger-on. For all I know it was a tactic to lure the Undertaker away, since Wright is and was his best friend

This is something I was unaware of

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is something I was unaware of

He's a voodoo pimp fighter, it just makes sense.

EDIT: In case that wasn't clear, he doesn't fight voodoo pimps, he is one.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 18, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I've been slowly working my way through Nitros on the network and it struck me today how quickly the nWo turned to poo poo. I'm only in September 96 and they've already added Virgil to the gang. So that means the angle had three good months tops at a time when wrestling moved a lot more slowly.

Vincent probably made the nWo better, he was a good toadie.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Authority angle feels like the nWo to me at this point. We're long past the point where the bad guys should have received their comeuppance and broken apart. Even when they lose, it's ignored and things are exactly the same the next week. The only intrigue is inter-factional warfare (nWo splitting into black and red, Seth Rollins and Kane continually butting heads with HHH and Steph), as people outside of the heel group are just geeks who can't win.

God, Starrcade '97 could have been so grand if all the faces won and Sting put the stake in Hogan's heart, taking out the nWo. poo poo, they still had a chance to fix it with Goldberg after whiffing on that one and still couldn't do it. Just awful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Just wait until you find out who the sixth member is

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Tato posted:

The Authority angle feels like the nWo to me at this point. We're long past the point where the bad guys should have received their comeuppance and broken apart. Even when they lose, it's ignored and things are exactly the same the next week. The only intrigue is inter-factional warfare (nWo splitting into black and red, Seth Rollins and Kane continually butting heads with HHH and Steph), as people outside of the heel group are just geeks who can't win.

God, Starrcade '97 could have been so grand if all the faces won and Sting put the stake in Hogan's heart, taking out the nWo. poo poo, they still had a chance to fix it with Goldberg after whiffing on that one and still couldn't do it. Just awful.

It's easy now to say that they should have put the stake in it but they were still rolling in the money and winning the "ever important" ratings right?

Like most things in wrestling it is frustrating to look back and see missed opportunities.

Have Sting out the final nail in the NWO coffin then have them go away for a few months, reforming as a new heel group. But they would've hosed it up and just had them come back as the same NWO because reasons.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think they could have drawn it out and made it interesting television. The heel group comes so close to taking over that they even take over Nitro, but then get a massive rear end kicking at Starrcade and the shoe is on the other foot. Then you can have them on the run, with inner turmoil and paranoia as they start to turn on each other and get more and more desperate in their tactics, maybe even purging the ranks of poo poo like Virgil. But as you said, hindsight and all that.

But holy poo poo, even without hindsight, Starrcade 97 should never have been that awful.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eric Bischoff literally worked a better match than Hogan that night.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tato posted:

I think they could have drawn it out and made it interesting television. The heel group comes so close to taking over that they even take over Nitro, but then get a massive rear end kicking at Starrcade and the shoe is on the other foot. Then you can have them on the run, with inner turmoil and paranoia as they start to turn on each other and get more and more desperate in their tactics, maybe even purging the ranks of poo poo like Virgil. But as you said, hindsight and all that.

But holy poo poo, even without hindsight, Starrcade 97 should never have been that awful.

The ending of Starrcade would have worked a ton better if the plate didn't fly out of Bischoff's shoe and the fast count was a fast count.

Then it got cheapened by a set of booking pivots to promote Thunder.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Great White Hope posted:

Hogan vs. The Butcher was a Starrcade-quality main event, I'll have you know!

THERE WAS NO loving FORK WHAT KINDA BULLSHIT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE?!?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Nice to see that HHH is continuing Hogan's fine tradition of burying Sting.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I really think that was a group effort. Vince, somewhat justifiably, still bears a grudge against WCW for trying to destroy everything he spent his life building in the 90's. So Vince gets Sting, the last piece in his WCW human collectibles set and the decision to make a Sting v. HHH match is set because it's either that or the Undertaker and they made their choice. Of course H is in his mid-40's and Sting is on the wrong side of 50 so a straight up wrestling match would suck on ice. So Vince sees another opportunity to create a proxy WCW vs. WWE war, and once that decision is made WWE wins. There is no way Vince lets those fuckers who drove him to the brink of ruin get ANYTHING up on him, even a bullshit match having not a hell of a lot to do with the Monday Night Wars, so WWE wins, which is really the equivalent of bringing in a celebrity and having him job.

As for HHH's role in this. He just had to go with the flow and focus on making his ring entrance as ego-penis engorging as it possibly can be. I mean what is he going to do at this point? Argue that he should job? Given that he wouldn't be able to take any credit for "making" Sting, that just isn't going to happen.

I mean we give Vince a lot of flak for being petty about this but if I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't be able to let the whole 'these fuckers tried to ruin me' thing go either.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, what did poor Vince ever do to deserve talent raids and attempts to kill his business?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh he unquestionably had it coming. But it's not human nature to, when accosted with such a situation, to shrug one's shoulders and go 'Well I guess this is what I deserve.'

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

I can't wait to see how they gently caress up WarGames again

"For the first time ever, pinfalls are allowed in Wargames"

:negative:

That was objectively one of the worst PPVs in history.

Bulldog and Neidhart beat the Disco and Wright. Nothing too special. Davey Boy took a nasty bump on the mat near a trap door. Nothing will probably come of that though.

Jericho beat Goldberg in a squash which was really enjoyable.

The Cat beat Norman Smiley and I'm already losing interest.

Rick vs Scott in a brother vs brother match that ends in a no-contest. Buff who's at ringside suffers a fake neck injury and the announcers tell us for 20 minutes on how serious neck injuries are until Buff in a neckbrace and Scottattacks Rick backstage.

Juvi beat Silver King in a pretty good cruiserweight match

The only great match on the card was Raven vs Saturn. It was laid out and paced well and was an excellent story with some good wrestling.

Malenko v Hennig ended in DQ after Rude attacked Dean. poo poo.

Konnan beat a drunk Scott Hall, who spent half the match drinking beer.

and then there was War Games match to end all War Games matches. No teams! Not beating the poo poo out of people until one side gives up! Ed Leslie! lovely special effects! The Warrior! DDP winning with zero build because everyone was watching Hogan running away from the ring!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I was actually impressed with the whole Flock storyline. It had a coherent beginning, middle and a satisfying ending. Guessing it's because it didn't involve any main event guys sticking their noses in it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The best part of the WarGames match was Warrior teleporting inside the ring with smoke powers, then teleporting back outside the ring so that he could run to the ring in standard Warrior fashion.

Saturn/Raven ruled.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Writer Cath posted:

I was actually impressed with the whole Flock storyline. It had a coherent beginning, middle and a satisfying ending. Guessing it's because it didn't involve any main event guys sticking their noses in it.

I think Raven said he basically got to write his own stuff at that time, so yeah Bischoff didn't really care to get involved. They just assigned him some Flock members, he didn't get to pick them all himself.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

I think Raven said he basically got to write his own stuff at that time, so yeah Bischoff didn't really care to get involved. They just assigned him some Flock members, he didn't get to pick them all himself.

He explained on Jericho's podcast that he grabbed whoever he wanted for the Flock but he was forced to take Horace for some reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

He explained on Jericho's podcast that he grabbed whoever he wanted for the Flock but he was forced to take Horace for some reason.

Yeah I listened to the podcast so I remembered them assigning him Horace. Didn't they tell him to take Van Hammer and Riggs too though? I remember him saying he was bummed about getting Riggs at first, since he was already seen as Bagwell's reject and he would have rather worked with unknown people.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I listened to the podcast so I remembered them assigning him Horace. Didn't they tell him to take Van Hammer and Riggs too though? I remember him saying he was bummed about getting Riggs at first, since he was already seen as Bagwell's reject and he would have rather worked with unknown people.

Oh yeah, that's right. But he still just took other lower card guys they weren't doing anything with.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Was watching a Raven shoot last night and he said he didn't want Kidman either but gives credit to Kidman and how much he got over.

Given the choice he wanted more of a 4 Horsemen thing and his ideal Flock would have been him, Saturn, Sickboy and some big guy to act as an enforcer.

He did finish by saying he found it amazing that the Flock lost all their matches and were still so over (does a great Kevin Sullivan impression when he asked Sullivan to give his guys some wins 'Some must die, so that others can live!'). Also admits that he can't complain being paid a stupid amount to go sit in the front row at Nitro week after week.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

wizardstick posted:

Was watching a Raven shoot last night and he said he didn't want Kidman either but gives credit to Kidman and how much he got over.

Given the choice he wanted more of a 4 Horsemen thing and his ideal Flock would have been him, Saturn, Sickboy and some big guy to act as an enforcer.

He did finish by saying he found it amazing that the Flock lost all their matches and were still so over (does a great Kevin Sullivan impression when he asked Sullivan to give his guys some wins 'Some must die, so that others can live!'). Also admits that he can't complain being paid a stupid amount to go sit in the front row at Nitro week after week.

In his Jericho interview he told a great little story about Saturn begging Raven, "please, get involved, do SOMETHING" but Raven was like "nah I'll just hang out and sit in the corner"

Something like that anyway, it made me laugh.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well Sullivan is right, somebody has to go out there and actually lose. The flock were perfect for that role.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

ChrisBTY posted:

Well Sullivan is right, somebody has to go out there and actually lose. The flock were perfect for that role.

They had like 200 people under contract that they would trot out once every 6 months to lose to someone. Chris Adams. Barry Darsow. John Nord. Greg Valentine. The list goes on and on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Silver King.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Marty Jannetty.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cactus Jack posted:

They had like 200 people under contract that they would trot out once every 6 months to lose to someone. Chris Adams. Barry Darsow. John Nord. Greg Valentine. The list goes on and on.

I think that excluding Saturn, Raven and Possibly Kidman, the Flock were better suited for the role than the billion guys WCW had under contract that rarely showed up on TV. They at least were able to create a rooting interest.
Tangentially related: I'd love to see WCW's roster circa 1997.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
http://www.solie.org/wcw97.txt

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Not a full roster, but DDT Digest did annual win/loss records that are fairly comprehensive, including house shows. The main index is at http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/paywinda/. You can get the 1997 file at http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/paywinda/pay1997.zip (note that this links to a .zip file, which is the link they have on the page).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Who the Hell was Skank

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Who the Hell was Skank

Lodi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Who the Hell was Skank

Skank's dead.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

According to the first doc WCW's roster ballooned from 78 to 99 over the course of that year. And I thought I was bad at restricting my roster in TEW.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

I'm not sure if "proud" is the word, but I certainly felt something when I saw the name "Tombstone" and immediately knew "Oh yeah that was 911"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

fatherdog posted:

Skank's dead.

Pro level reference.