Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

The Human Crouton posted:

When I see what? Instead of imitating facebook clickbait in the thread, why don't you point out what you want us to see?

I think it's a lovely 4chan troll where the punchline is you wasted a bunch of time looking for a thing that wasn't there. making GBS threads bricks meme or whatever. It's a cool picture to look at regardless, but that framing is a bit obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Megaspel posted:

I think it's a lovely 4chan troll where the punchline is you wasted a bunch of time looking for a thing that wasn't there. making GBS threads bricks meme or whatever. It's a cool picture to look at regardless, but that framing is a bit obnoxious.

Maybe he's just really sure there's something there that he's not noticing, so he posted that in the hopes that one of us would find some visual reference to something geeky, rare, obscure, and thus cool... and then we'd point it out, and he'd go around to his non-goon friends, bragging about the geeky, rare, obscure, cool thing that he noticed in the screenshot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Krinkle posted:

When he told summer to get off the high road I thought "high horse? did he mean high horse?" What a weird broken wrong phrase he used.

I went to adult swim and have been re-watching season one and holy poo poo he says high road in nearly every episode and it literally never makes sense and would always make more sense if it was high horse. I'm going insane.

Holy poo poo you're right. Rick gets the weirdest things wrong, like when he couldn't remember Little Richard's name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWYweFDzSk

Also: Rick gets upset when Summer and Morty don't get his (incorrect) reference, next episode (next season when he unfreezes time) he gets upset when they pretend to understand a reference he makes up. Rick had just spent six months hanging out with Morty and Summer in a frozen timeline, he probably made a poo poo ton of incorrect references and his grandchildren learned to just humor him whenever he made a reference to a person they didn't know to avoid hurting his feelings. When he calls them out and insults them for pretending to get his "Redgren Grumbholdt" reference he's insulting them for doing something he conditioned them to do to.

Rick is a selfish douche and there's no pleasing him, but then we all already knew that.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I like all of the debate over the source Ricks angst, or ennui, or whatever the hell.

Allow me to pause from serving butter to pontificate.

The first scene of the intro is rick using his portal gun to ditch away from 2 giant frog looking monsters. Morty doesn't make it. He fairly obviously gets eaten. Oops.

So? Rick either goes and gets a new morty (hey, they give out coupons for this) or hey, if you screw up your dimension bad enough - just find another one to slide into. There's no consequences really, ever, with respect to other people. Especially morty. Why even bother building relationships?

Just a frame of reference for you anytime anyone gets mad at him for not having feelings or being polite or whatever. Think about how Rick feels. Or don't.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Well, in this episode, he guesses wrong when he tries to come up with the name of the Tom Cruise movie where he makes drinks. He thought it might be Cuisine. He wasn't 100% sure about it, but talk about being wrong. A Tom Cruise movie where he makes drinks would be called Cuisine?

It's Cocktail.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

tarlibone posted:

Well, in this episode, he guesses wrong when he tries to come up with the name of the Tom Cruise movie where he makes drinks. He thought it might be Cuisine. He wasn't 100% sure about it, but talk about being wrong. A Tom Cruise movie where he makes drinks would be called Cuisine?

It's Cocktail.

But... but... he's never uncertain!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

pass the butter posted:

But... but... he's never uncertain!

Never uncertain doesn't mean never wrong.

It just means when he's wrong, he's very, very confident about it.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

chiasaur11 posted:

Never uncertain doesn't mean never wrong.

It just means when he's wrong, he's very, very confident about it.

A fair point.

What if though - he came from a different dimension where all of these things WERE correct. But in this one, it isn't. HMM

Its a lame theory but I like it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If rick didn't care what a tom cruise movie was, he literally didn't save space in his brain for it, then when a parasite tries to bullshit a happy memory and make him remember making a reference it can't pull information he doesn't have to make the reference work. That's how I read it.

And the reason he got little richard wrong is because he's from the dimension where that was little richard's name and that was his song. He hosed up that dimension and came here and now nobody gets his references.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They really could have just done a Thing style blood test to see who had purple blood.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

They really could have just done a Thing style blood test to see who had purple blood.

Remember that time we all found out my blood was purple and cured cancer?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is entirely too reasonable for Rick Sanchez. You'll note that his go-to nonlethal test was to shoot someone in the arm, and he only ever did that the one time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

or go the Star Trek route and have the blood turn into more parasites.

That's how the changelings worked in DS9 right?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aces High posted:

I don't... think so. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the changelings were all discrete entities, even in their goop form.

I can't remember if the show ever dealt with what happened if you separated some of their goop from the main mass, but I'm pretty sure it didn't spawn new changelings.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I like that Jerry has his existential crisis in a hallway that's covered in photos of himself

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerry is not very bright.

If Morty has one thing he can thank Rick for, it's avoiding the possibility of growing up to be like Jerry.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Shut up and go read this interview:

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watc...ken/single-page

quote:

Sci-fi as a genre becomes about the technical aspects of magic, and it gets bogged down when it's, "Well, I'm a vampire, but my landlord doesn't know!" That's good for drama, but it's not good for comedy storytelling, pacing and stuff. 
You'll also see that in narratives we really like, like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. You go into it, and there's a very brief period of adjustment, but you're really reacting to whether or not Willy Wonka likes you. "You're not going, 'Wait, how does the chocolate river work? Why doesn't the chocolate get hard? Let's spend three minutes on that!'"

So, don't think about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seriously. Once you start wondering if Poopy Butthole was a parasite, or the episode took place in another dimension, you are ruining the joke and the point for little gain.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

zoux posted:

When you see it...

Were you referring to the fat cock?

A piece of changling reverts into their natural state but doesn't spawn new changlings.

:goonsay:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

Oh man this leads to a lot of cool monologuing possibilities for evil morty and not-evil morty. "You think you're the first one?". Imagine what that'd do to their relationship. It's a weird relationship, with evil Rick saying "you're crying over a morty", making mortys sound disposable and worthless, which is actually Evil Morty talking about himself, but Rick still seems to care about Summer a little bit, even though it's confirmed, she's at the very least, the second Summer.

We're probably on out third Jerry too.

I think as Morty explained to Summer, "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

I think the best part about the parasites was that they have memories of a ton of close friends/family that no longer exist from now on.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

FunOne posted:

I don't think the same logic really applies. The Chocolate River isn't plot relevant, the only information that the audience needs about it is "there is a river made of chocolate".

In the context of MPB in Rick and Morty, the entire episode is centered around the uncertainty of people being real or parasites. When a character who is believed to be a parasite is actually real and has been there for a long time, the state of his existence is clearly plot-relevant, especially since he's inserted into the intro.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Any Thursday Next readers in the thread?
The whole memory parasite thing reminds me a lot of the tricks Aornis Hades pulls on Thursday, and TN is probably the only other series I can think of to execute the retroactive memory mindfuck as entertainingly.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Not an Owl posted:

I don't think the same logic really applies. The Chocolate River isn't plot relevant, the only information that the audience needs about it is "there is a river made of chocolate".

In the context of MPB in Rick and Morty, the entire episode is centered around the uncertainty of people being real or parasites. When a character who is believed to be a parasite is actually real and has been there for a long time, the state of his existence is clearly plot-relevant, especially since he's inserted into the intro.

we're talking about a sit-com

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Too slow, you saw how fast those things were multiplying, it would take forever to test everyone as they spawned.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Please correct your post- I find shortening Mister Poopy Butthole's name very offensive.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Did anyone else feel like the concept behind the parasite is one of the more horrifying things in this show? The way that the parasites triggered flashbacks, using them as a way to bring more parasites from...the victim's subconscious, or the rate at which the parasite multiplied in a contained environment? I liked that we see the characters struggling with the false memories after the parasites are killed off.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I loved the bit with the parasites immediately retconning the reason Rick wrote "6", with him going "Well yeah I remember that but that doesn't make any sense.."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Applewhite posted:

Any Thursday Next readers in the thread?
The whole memory parasite thing reminds me a lot of the tricks Aornis Hades pulls on Thursday, and TN is probably the only other series I can think of to execute the retroactive memory mindfuck as entertainingly.

Jasper Fforde is one of the best writers of SF/F I've read. I really like his books.

When's the new Shades of Grey coming, jesus

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
One great little touch is, despite the massive power of thought and intelligence Rick has, he STILL takes several seconds just to count more than six people...

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

I think the best part about the parasites was that they have memories of a ton of close friends/family that no longer exist from now on.

Yeah Beth's line about "and now I have to go forget about Sleepy Gary" really added a lot of :stare: to the whole premise. His parasite seems like it might have done the most damage of all of them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That random rapper guy who shows up in Summer's dream reminds of that random rapper guy who shows up in the Friday music video.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

r0ck0 posted:

Stop making excuses for lazy writing.

God I loving hate you

I will poo poo on your mother's chest while I choke her out

Everybody help me hate this loving guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scaterry posted:

Can we just consider this a clip show?

It's a clip show but the clips are evil. The characters have to figure out how to stop the clips from happening in order to save the human race.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

That's actually how it worked in the original Thing.

a cop posted:

I loved the bit with the parasites immediately retconning the reason Rick wrote "6", with him going "Well yeah I remember that but that doesn't make any sense.."

The funny thing is even in that flashback it creates another parasite. So even the numbers in that flashback ITSELF don't make sense.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

MPB is a parasite, but he has infected the minds of US, the Viewers. The whole episode is just a memory of us remembering what a swell guy he is. Beth actually shot him once and that was sad but he didn't die so no one question him or his existence because that would be mean and hurt his feelings. he's totally not a parasite even though he only showed up in this... mmm, no hes been here forever.
He's 100% real and not suspicious at all you heartless bastard, how dare you question him after all he's been through.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

rainy day posted:

we're talking about a sit-com

Yeah, but goons especially like to hold this show to a higher standard, like the one that they hold Arrested Development to. I think that jokes from a show held to such a high standard should have jokes that are explainable within the context of the show, and that they shouldn't be reduced to "lol it's comedy it doesn't have to make perfect sense", especially when so much of the joke hinges on the explanation of parasites offered by the show.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Not an Owl posted:

Yeah, but goons especially like to hold this show to a higher standard, like the one that they hold Arrested Development to. I think that jokes from a show held to such a high standard should have jokes that are explainable within the context of the show, and that they shouldn't be reduced to "lol it's comedy it doesn't have to make perfect sense", especially when so much of the joke hinges on the explanation of parasites offered by the show.

Nope, shut up

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Not an Owl posted:

If you want you can assume that Mr Poopybutthole is a meta joke which plays on the audience's expectations of the scifi/sitcom tropes in the episode. It's also possibly a commentary on sitcoms that have new actors playing old characters (like Becky in Roseanne) or have brand new characters who suddenly turns up and then just disappear (like that kid in the seventh season of Married With Children).

Also a lot of Rick and Morty's humour comes from taking stock scifi/sitcom tropes and either twisting them, extending them way past their logical conclusion or just flagging them and moving past without the stereotypical plotlines (like when Morty's schoolyard bully showed up and Rick just straight up froze him and killed him). It's a gag on the old "The character wakes up in a dream/with false memories" scifi plot.

Then again, simply assuming that the joke was "Harmon and Roiland decided to gently caress with the audience and didn't care if it didn't make total sense" would also be a consistent reading of most of the episodes. :v:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FunOne posted:

quote:

The big takeaway from all of this is that there's only one wrong way to think about your show, and that's to overthink it. It doesn't matter if you're trying to avoid mistakes or creating more of them by being really proud of yourself. If you're writing from a place of, "Let's accomplish something," instead of just, "Let's entertain ourselves," that's the only thing that makes things difficult. It's kind of unavoidable. You'll be worried about that, and then you'll be worried about worrying about it, and then worried about worrying about worrying about it. Second season, like Justin says, the first episode, it carries that nervousness into the narrative. The story is about indecision and overthinking things

Of course it's very easy to say "don't overthink it" if you're so insanely talented that a Rick And Morty episode is what you get when you do that :silent:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DrManiac posted:

Man this show is great at coming up with these sci-fi monsters. There's something existentially hosed up about all the memories of somebody close to you being a total lie.

The monster was your average Doctor Who alien, but R&M had way more fun with it than Doctor Who ever could. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an alien in Doctor Who just like that and no one remembers it because the episode sucked.

• Locked thread