Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bossfight
Feb 16, 2013
So I recently acquired the hardcopy soundtrack for XBX to add to my collection. From the preview material i've seen of the gameplay I wasn't expecting much, but just listening to the album I have to say the music is quite good. There are some outliers in the album that don't jive with me so well (which for whatever reason seem to play on repeat in the twitch streams i've seen), but most of the tracks are pretty top notch cinematic/atmospheric scoring.

I remember seeing lots of hate for the music in this thread. I had my reservations too, but I'm thinking the rejection may mostly stem from watching spoiler-free gameplay demo loops (which would tend towards grindy questing and menu screen masturbation).

Anyways. I don't think it's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
there's too much VGM out there for me to care about an OST described as :effort:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xenoblade's up on the EU eshop; download comes with a discount on Xenoblade X when it comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

Xenoblade's up on the EU eshop; download comes with a discount on Xenoblade X when it comes out.

Will the Wii original come to America? I am guessing no because of the Gamestop deal here.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Will the Wii original come to America? I am guessing no because of the Gamestop deal here.

Nah, it (and the discount) will come out to the NA shop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AfroLine posted:

Nah, it (and the discount) will come out to the NA shop.

:buddy: This is pretty good news! Hopefully within this week?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Idk
I just don't see NA missing out on an eshop opportunity where you can download this Wii game for the Wii U while at the same time getting a discount for the upcoming Wii U exclusive sequel. I just don't see some Gamestop deal stopping this in the NA region.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Now that I think about it, this was the same thing with the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I hope they do because the scalping on that game is loving egregious and not everyone has a new 3ds.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheManSeries posted:

I hope they do because the scalping on that game is loving egregious

I should know, I was one of the scalpers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi3pJL-BmU4

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I got a N3DS and Xenoblade (I did get the game for $24 when it was on sale from Best Buy), I think I just got too far to start over. Oh well, I'm enjoying it a lot. I might be a little over levelled. I ride the subway to work every day, and I don't want to do main quests in case there is a cool cutscene that I can't here. So I do a lot of sidequests on the train, and I've done most of the ones that are available right now.

I'm in the marsh right now, and though I had no trouble really with the boss of the mine area I got my butt kicked by this side quest dude who is holding a nopon hostage. Like I tried that battle 3 times, and got murdered every time. We're about the same level (I think he's 31, my characters were all 30 or 31).

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I laughed at that South Park clip a lot more than I should have. I've got the game but for anyone wanting to play it legally it's either in the high 70s for the wii version or 40 plus a 200 dollar system for the 3ds version.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fritzler posted:

I got a N3DS and Xenoblade (I did get the game for $24 when it was on sale from Best Buy), I think I just got too far to start over. Oh well, I'm enjoying it a lot. I might be a little over levelled. I ride the subway to work every day, and I don't want to do main quests in case there is a cool cutscene that I can't here. So I do a lot of sidequests on the train, and I've done most of the ones that are available right now.

I'm in the marsh right now, and though I had no trouble really with the boss of the mine area I got my butt kicked by this side quest dude who is holding a nopon hostage. Like I tried that battle 3 times, and got murdered every time. We're about the same level (I think he's 31, my characters were all 30 or 31).

Regarding the boss from Satorl Marsh which you mentioned in the spoilers above:

Is this the lizard on a throne who has about 6-8 other lizards in two rows by his side? If so he's the first same-level boss that I had to come back to when I was 3~ levels higher with some equipment from the next region, his attacks can decimate you. He goes into something of a frenzy at the end too so if you're getting killed before he drops under 20%~ HP then be wary.

Iirc I tried the classic tank/DPS/heals setup with Reyn/Shulk/Sharla for a while and had no luck but returning a bit later with Riki and the High Entia (totally blanking on her name) made it much easier to burn through him.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reckless Godwin? He's actually a pretty tough fight. Bait his cronies from a distance and kill them before engaging him. Even then he might be a bit difficult at 30.

If you just want to complete the nopon quest you can actually just sneak past the entire group with ease.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mak0rz posted:

If you just want to complete the nopon quest you can actually just sneak past the entire group with ease.

Or if you're not high enough level to avoid aggroing them, you can find the key to the side door that the quest-giver tells you about.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Reckless Godwin? He's actually a pretty tough fight. Bait his cronies from a distance and kill them before engaging him. Even then he might be a bit difficult at 30.

I did that, I got killed when he went crazy at low health twice. I saved right before I killed all the other people, and after dying for like the third time I just killed the mooks and grabbed the nopon. But man, I was not prepared for that fight at all.

I'm using Dunban/Sharla/Shulk now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendo still hasn't announced their Xenoblade X American bundles. It's likely to be the same as Europe, but I wonder what the hold up is.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TheManSeries posted:

I hope they do because the scalping on that game is loving egregious and not everyone has a new 3ds.

You're not really missing out on much with the New 3DS version. The game just doesn't belong on a 5" 240p (or whatever it is) screen running at an average of 20 FPS, with lovely little speakers that emphasize the obnoxious non-stop teammate chatter during battles and nearly ruin the awesome soundtrack.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

enojy posted:

You're not really missing out on much with the New 3DS version. The game just doesn't belong on a 5" 240p (or whatever it is) screen running at an average of 20 FPS, with lovely little speakers that emphasize the obnoxious non-stop teammate chatter during battles and nearly ruin the awesome soundtrack.

Yeah to be honest, I thought Xenoblade on 3DS was perfectly fine, until I started playing on Dolphin (:filez:) and realized exactly how much details/clarity I was missing. It goes from being "just another 3DS visual quality game" to "holy poo poo, this is goddamn beautiful". Especially with the HD textures packs, as it should be played.

The Wii remote/nunchuck is also 100x better than playing on a regular controller. Like not even a contest.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Would the Wii U version have an upgraded resolution from the Wii version?

I may have to buy it again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kris xK posted:

It doesn't. Ooh well, i've lost my hype for wanting this on eshop with all of the new games coming out soon. Mario Maker will tie me over until Xenoblade X.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kris xK posted:

Digital Wii games on WiiU are the same thing as putting a disc in, it boots into Wii mode to start the game.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Guess I should finish it on Dolphin then and save the sequel for the couch.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Wii remote/nunchuck is also 100x better than playing on a regular controller. Like not even a contest.

What is wrong with you

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

For Xenoblade, he's absolutely correct. It's nice being able to move and change artes at the same time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ometeotl posted:

For Xenoblade, he's absolutely correct. It's nice being able to move and change artes at the same time.

Can't you do that with the Classic Controller or am I misremembering? I thought you could use L/R for that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Levantine posted:

Can't you do that with the Classic Controller or am I misremembering? I thought you could use L/R for that.

Nah, those are your targeting buttons. Unless you use the claw, the only way you can move and choose arts is by using the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Thankfully, you really don't need to move and switch, in my experience.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mak0rz posted:

What is wrong with you

I really feel bad if you played Xenoblade any other way, sorry chum

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I too feel bad that someone played Xenoblade

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoblade was the Ride to Hell of its time

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Xenoblade Good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade good but overrated.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade good but overrated.

:frogout:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

he's right

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's completely right

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Baal posted:

He's completely wrong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Make your own post and stop cribbing from mine, Slur

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoblade bad, Xenoblade overhyped and overrated. Xenoblade fans obnoxious like Sonic and Steven Universe fans.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

thread bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

thread bad

post good

• Locked thread