Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

spankmeister posted:

there's loop prevention for poo poo like this.

y'all don't have your mailer configured correct

Hell, even the ancient qmail systems I used to work on had out-of-the-box autoresponder and forwarding loop prevention that worked just fine for two-party loops (though we still had the occasional customer who managed to blow up their mail folder by creating some ungodly clusterfuck of autoresponders/forwarders that was complex enough to avoid the loop detection. :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

larchesdanrew posted:

Some phones came in last Thursday for new reporters. I was assured there was no rush in setting them up, which was good since I was up to my rear end in work already.

An email comes in at noon from the GM telling me that the phones have to be activated by the end of the day or we have to pay full price for them.

The GM is literally the only person who can activate them because he pulled everyone's name off the account except for his when he started, and he's also out of town for budget review at corporate and not answering his phone.

So, you know, look at these phones I'm not touching today because gently caress everyone.

I hope your email back to him was "You better hurry up then!".

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Or advising him to add the inevitable added expense to the budget review.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really wish marketing would stop pushing out promotions. Or at least maybe consider that we currently don't have the staffing capable of handling all the incoming calls to deal with the promotion volume.

They're not even calling about the promotions, they're using it as an excuse to check their backups for poo poo they should have checked ages ago. :argh:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A ticket came in, from the VP of Technology.

VP of Tech posted:

One of our users got one of those popups that said their computer was infected, and to call a number. She called it, and they had access to her system for several hours. This was her work laptop.

So I panic, go into "lets get this machine off the network, change her email password, make sure nothing new is on google drive" etc. Damage prevention. She's on a mac, but I don't know what poo poo they are trying. I then grab a loaner laptop and go over to the person.

User posted:

Oh, no, this happened a month ago. I just didn't say anything. No, you can't take my computer now, I need files off of it to work. Just look through all the folders on my desktop and see if anything looks odd. I mean, everything should be fine, I paid $400 to the guys to make sure my computer was cleaned up, so I don't know why this is a big deal.

:psypop:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Some days you just want to powerbomb people like that through a brick table.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Merijn posted:

Some days you just want to powerbomb people like that through a brick table.

No, this is when you call in the Tiger Driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MUUYRPAIM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some degrees of stupidity really need to become felonies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Honestly your VP of Tech should get a nice talking to about what the gently caress was he thinking not reaming that employee hardcore.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I was digging through our AD and the old head of IT here, who got fired resigned after he was caught using company cards for personal items (Ashley Madison) and stealing poo poo still has an account and still is marked as an administrator.

They fired someone a few weeks ago that everyone really liked so they tried to be quiet about it. The head of HR told exactly one IT employee about it, and specifically told him not to tell ANYONE. All they did was change her password and later that day she called someone else and told them she was locked out of her account and asked for a password reset. They didn't know she was fired so they did it.

There is so much more going on in this place and it's awful. It's just a ticking time bomb, waiting for the right person with a little bit of knowledge and some vindictiveness to come in and gently caress everything up. I'm just hoping that I can get enough experience and certs before it happens so I can bounce instead of having to clean up. In the mean time I'm working on fixing things and putting procedures into place to protect us, but it's a lot of work for someone that doesn't know all of the in and outs yet, especially when nobody else seems to give a poo poo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

All this talk of old passwords is reminding me of an uphill battle I'm fighting here at my current job. Everyone is a machine administrator, despite my pleas this won't change so I've just tried to mitigate it as much as possible. WE DONT USE SERVICE ACCOUNTS! We have one blank domain admin account with a low strength password that gets handed out to every vendor and consultant who comes in and needs an account for something. On top of this that password gets re-used on a bunch of other accounts. And of course all of this credential info is summed up nicely in a handy little excel sheet that just sits out there in a shared drive. So far I've managed to at least get the department setup with KeePass to store our lovely passwords, and have managed to change a few.

What's weird is that in a lot of other area's this is the most security conscious company I've worked for but I just can't get my boss to get in gear and start making some really necessary changes. At least I've got an email chain between him and I that shows my concerns what I've done to address them and what HE needs to do to get everything fixed, hopefully it'll be enough of CYA in case anything happens. This is also the same guy who refuses to buy SSD's because they're an "unproven technology". Really nice guy and bright in a lot of areas but he can be stubborn.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Renegret posted:

larchesdanrew is the new blackswordca

The king is dead, LONG LIVE THE KING.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Honestly your VP of Tech should get a nice talking to about what the gently caress was he thinking not reaming that employee hardcore.

I don't think he realized it had happened a month ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FireSight posted:

I don't think he realized it had happened a month ago.

Yeah, this sounds like just the detail a user would conveniently leave out when talking to a hire up like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Escalate the ticket with a request for a full network security audit due to prolonged exposure to an identified threat and pass it back to the VP of tech. Maybe include a few references for security contractors with their current rates to really throw the user under the financial bus.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FireSight posted:

A ticket came in, from the VP of Technology.

So I panic, go into "lets get this machine off the network, change her email password, make sure nothing new is on google drive" etc. Damage prevention. She's on a mac, but I don't know what poo poo they are trying. I then grab a loaner laptop and go over to the person.

"Ma'am, if something like this happens again, send the money directly to me along with the contact information that pops up, and I will make sure the expert gets contacted. Our IT department needs to keep track of all contract work like this, after all, and I'd be happy to do all the necessary paperwork for you so we can have good records and so everyone in IT is on the same page :)"

I mean, if she's going to throw her money away anyway...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A call came in at 4:30 this morning.

Yesterday, we replaced all of the ancient CRT teleprompter monitors with fancy new flat panel monitors. This required installing a way to convert an SDI signal to VGA, as well as splitting the signal to three different monitors. After some trial and error, we got the image looking passable, but we also had to change the way the prompter output runs through the system. I say "we," but supervisor reworked the board and never told anyone anything.

So, a call comes in at 4:30. The fairly worthless morningside director has managed to reset the switcher to factory defaults and can only manage to push our on-air feed to the prompters, rather than the prompter feed.

I drive in. They're on the air pretty much nonstop from 4:30 to 7:30, so there are a few three to four minute breaks for me to look at stuff. I can never manage to get enough accomplished to solve the problem, but it would involve reprogramming the board and take much longer than three minutes.

Everyone's angry.

At me, for not being able to enact a solution? Nope.

At Chief Engineer for not answering his phone and, once again, making himself the single point of failure for an entire operation? You betcha.

(Well, he didn't answer the phones from me, the GM, the producer, the director, or the lead director. He called master control and asked them what was going on and they had no clue. This was apparently a good enough answer for him, so he went back to sleep.)

EDIT: For what it's worth, the master control operator confided in me that headset chatter this morning centered on how there's a nearly unanimous agreement that I should be made Chief Engineer since I'm likable, courteous, and respond to issues rather than berate and ignore like my current supervisor. Felt kind of good, I guess. I'm still not staying here a minute longer than necessary, though.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

A call came in at 4:30 this morning.

Yesterday, we replaced all of the ancient CRT teleprompter monitors with fancy new flat panel monitors. This required installing a way to convert an SDI signal to VGA, as well as splitting the signal to three different monitors. After some trial and error, we got the image looking passable, but we also had to change the way the prompter output runs through the system. I say "we," but supervisor reworked the board and never told anyone anything.

So, a call comes in at 4:30. The fairly worthless morningside director has managed to reset the switcher to factory defaults and can only manage to push our on-air feed to the prompters, rather than the prompter feed.

I drive in. They're on the air pretty much nonstop from 4:30 to 7:30, so there are a few three to four minute breaks for me to look at stuff. I can never manage to get enough accomplished to solve the problem, but it would involve reprogramming the board and take much longer than three minutes.

Everyone's angry.

At me, for not being able to enact a solution? Nope.

At Chief Engineer for not answering his phone and, once again, making himself the single point of failure for an entire operation? You betcha.

(Well, he didn't answer the phones from me, the GM, the producer, the director, or the lead director. He called master control and asked them what was going on and they had no clue. This was apparently a good enough answer for him, so he went back to sleep.)

Looks like a good opportunity to carve out IT from under the Chief Engineer.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

EDIT: For what it's worth, the master control operator confided in me that headset chatter this morning centered on how there's a nearly unanimous agreement that I should be made Chief Engineer since I'm likable, courteous, and respond to issues rather than berate and ignore like my current supervisor. Felt kind of good, I guess. I'm still not staying here a minute longer than necessary, though.

flosofl posted:

Looks like a good opportunity to carve out IT from under the Chief Engineer.

This.

It seems that the biggest fault of the job, and that 95% of the problems occur, is the CE. He's personally making your life a living hell because he feels that you're a threat to his tenure. If he's gone, I think the job wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Start pushing everyone to make complaints against the CE to your GM, see if he can finally get rid of this poisonous lesion.

Sure, you'd still have to put up with that creepy feely guy, and some prima donnas, but every job has them (as far as I'm aware)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At the very least, you would have a more impressive job title for your resume. And if you're asked why you're leaving so soon after your promotion, tell them the truth. You were looking before you were promoted, and you want to move to someplace bigger.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

This.

It seems that the biggest fault of the job, and that 95% of the problems occur, is the CE. He's personally making your life a living hell because he feels that you're a threat to his tenure. If he's gone, I think the job wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Start pushing everyone to make complaints against the CE to your GM, see if he can finally get rid of this poisonous lesion.

Sure, you'd still have to put up with that creepy feely guy, and some prima donnas, but every job has them (as far as I'm aware)

Don't worry, I think CE is doing just fine digging his own grave without my influence. Lately, it's become extremely apparent that nearly everyone here is fed up with him and his attitude. I don't think I'm going to be waiting long. Every time some poo poo goes down, I manage to come out smelling like a rose while he pules and pouts and ends up eating a big mouthful of poo poo for it.

I mentioned it before, but in the event that the CE ever leaves/gets fired/dies and they want to offer the position to me, or bring someone else in, I'm going to pretty much insist that they split Engineering and IT into separate departments and make me IT director. Every facet of my job is tied up in Engineering and Engineering's budget, which always takes precedent over IT. I'm also reliant on reporting to a position occupied by a guy who, by a wide margin, is usually someone versed in mechanics and engineering stuff but with only a passing or completely lacking knowledge of the technology related to IT.

I'm turning 30 next week. I'm tired of old assholes fighting me on everything and not being able to do anything about it. I'm tired of asking permission to do every little thing. I'm tired of not having autonomy in my own department. I'm tired of everything relating to my job being severely outdated, or pieced together, or faulty. I'm tired of making do.

I'm ready to be a real grown up for once.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2015

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
You growing that spine of yours a few weeks back was probably the start of his downfall. Keep it up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Migishu posted:

You growing that spine of yours a few weeks back was probably the start of his downfall. Keep it up.

Seriously. This is like the feel-good movie of the year but in post form.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wake me up for the slow-clap.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm down for a NYC "oh god these tickets drive me to drink" meetup. Though in my case it's also Grand Central/Metro North and spending most of my days in Times Square that drive me to drink.

gently caress printers tourists.

Also I went to Philly for a "major issue" at a client only to find out that the machine was sleeping and causing a lag in directory listings on the SAN. They thought it was folders disappearing. I spent more time on the train than I did fixing the issue but at least I'm getting those sweet sweet Amtrak points.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Che Delilas posted:

"Ma'am, if something like this happens again, send the money directly to me along with the contact information that pops up, and I will make sure the expert gets contacted. Our IT department needs to keep track of all contract work like this, after all, and I'd be happy to do all the necessary paperwork for you so we can have good records and so everyone in IT is on the same page :)"

I mean, if she's going to throw her money away anyway...

I bet she expensed it, and it was paid.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a couple of text came in,

From a friend of mine who worked at the company I was at when I was posting heavily on here. All of their T3s and PMs quit this week independently of each other.

In two weeks it will be the owners and a bunch of T2s and T1s.

They are apparently scrambling like crazy right now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

So a couple of text came in,

From a friend of mine who worked at the company I was at when I was posting heavily on here. All of their T3s and PMs quit this week independently of each other.

In two weeks it will be the owners and a bunch of T2s and T1s.

They are apparently scrambling like crazy right now.

So basically everyone noped the gently caress out and the place is justly suffering for it. Seems fine to me.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

blackswordca posted:

All of their T3s and PMs quit this week independently of each other.

:allears:

Even assuming the best and that they didn’t talk to each other for maximum gently caress you, I would bet a lot on some new directive coming in that resulted in a massive case of gently caress-this-shititis.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Ursine Asylum posted:

:allears:

Even assuming the best and that they didn’t talk to each other for maximum gently caress you, I would bet a lot on some new directive coming in that resulted in a massive case of gently caress-this-shititis.

apparently for one guy who was a T3/PM the owners said "We don't accept your resignation"

Dont think thats how it works

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

blackswordca posted:

apparently for one guy who was a T3/PM the owners said "We don't accept your resignation"

Lol yea, but in that case I guess it means now they are a bad reference, because you basically quit or walk out.

On one hand they are really desperate, on the other gently caress them - they should have created a better environment long ago before poo poo got out of hand

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

blackswordca posted:

Haha jesus, I can't imagine what I would do if someone said that to me. I mean I'd totally just walk out and probably quit right there, but there would be a few seconds of :psyduck: "Did I really just hear that??" :psyduck: running through my mind for sure.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

A ticket came in...

DFS shares are randomly breaking on workstations in the office. First was a laptop that could not access the mapped drives at all. Now it's a desktop that sees the share, but there's nothing in it. What the hell is happening to my file server?

fake edit: Fixed the former with a reload of the profile and fixed the latter with a gpupdate and a couple windows updates I forgot to push. So I correct my statement to what the hell is happening with the Windows 7 images today?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

I'm down for a NYC "oh god these tickets drive me to drink" meetup. Though in my case it's also Grand Central/Metro North and spending most of my days in Times Square that drive me to drink.

Matinee theater-goers that would clog up the bus queue were my particular hell.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Wouldn't that loosely translate to "you're fired with no just cause, congratulations you can file for unemployment"?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A ticket came in...

DFS shares are randomly breaking on workstations in the office. First was a laptop that could not access the mapped drives at all. Now it's a desktop that sees the share, but there's nothing in it. What the hell is happening to my file server?

fake edit: Fixed the former with a reload of the profile and fixed the latter with a gpupdate and a couple windows updates I forgot to push. So I correct my statement to what the hell is happening with the Windows 7 images today?

Haha just kidding. The second instance is back and still an issue. Going to check on the switch port and cable this guy is on but what the hell windows.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A ticket came in...

I fired a client a couple of years ago who stammered out a "No, we're going to keep using you. You can't do this." I just chuckled and shook my head and wished him the best as I walked out.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Nerdrock posted:

Wouldn't that loosely translate to "you're fired with no just cause, congratulations you can file for unemployment"?

Presumably it means that when they leave in two weeks it’s in the middle of whatever project, having had no time allocated to get the documentation up to date.

If I got a line like that from a job I hated, I’d probably just walk back to my desk and play games for two weeks before walking out. What are you going to do, fire me?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

There is a really great bar up on 45th st, it's completely not in the context of that area. I totally want to drink beers with you guys there someday.

http://beerculture.nyc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nerdrock posted:

My dictionary says it translates to "Call a lawyer"

• Locked thread