Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

RandallODim posted:

The Star Wars EU is like 90% barrel bottom scrapings. I'm pretty sure there's been more than one revival of the Emperor, in fact.

Also, as someone who likes Boba Fett, I would love for his new characterization to be that he's terrible at his job, and only has a reputation because he capitalizes on other people's victories for himself.

That would be loving awesome. It'll never happen, though, because people have it in their minds that Boba Fett is some sort of Wolverine badass man.

Boba Fett gets stabbed by a blind man and falls screaming into a burping sand anus. What a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

In the new comics he gets beat by a blind kid in a disheveled hut in the desert. I like the new canon.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 4, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Blind people are just his kyrptonite okay?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Darth Vader #8 and Lando #2 are out.

It was also announced at San Diego Comic-Con that Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen are going to be teaming up to create a crossover event between their two series, Star Wars and Darth Vader

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

At a con I found the three volumes for Knight Errant. I just wen't through the first one and I like it. Lord Damien is fun.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 17, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

At a con I found the three volumes for Knight Errant. I just wen't through the first one and I like it. Lord Damien is fun.

"I am Lord Daiman. There are no other beings. :smug:"

I like the bit where he boasts about how he created the universe, but he just can't remember when or how he did it or what it was like before he created it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I was pretty excited for all the new Star Wars titles at the beginning of the year but then had a lot of other stuff come up and forgot about them. Are any of the new Marvel series to be recommended/avoided? I was thinking I may wait to pick some up in trade when they get around to releasing them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every one likes Vader, most people like SW, Lando is also good so far. My personal opinion is that the three I just said all own.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah they're all sick

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Da gently caress ever happened to mon motha

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Da gently caress ever happened to mon motha

Died peacefully after being an uneventful/effective New Republic leader.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was pretty excited for all the new Star Wars titles at the beginning of the year but then had a lot of other stuff come up and forgot about them. Are any of the new Marvel series to be recommended/avoided? I was thinking I may wait to pick some up in trade when they get around to releasing them.

None of them are bad. Star Wars and Darth Vader are the must-reads. If you don't read anything else, read those two.

This is just a personal recommendation, but I would suggest that you read each issue of at least the first story arcs in both series in chronological order. Both series take place at the same time, and various plot points link both of them together.

Star Wars #1
Star Wars #2
Star Wars #3
Darth Vader #1
Star Wars #4
Darth Vader #2
Darth Vader #3
Darth Vader #4
Star Wars #5
Darth Vader #5
Star Wars #6
Darth Vader #6

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Speaking of which, Star Wars #8 will be released tomorrow. Along with it, Stuart Immonen will be taking over on art, and holy hell it looks amazing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, did Luke just fly an X-wing to Coruscant? That seems unwise.

Or is that Nar Shadda or some other cityplanet?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
TIE Fighters? Not Interceptors?

Geez. Wrecked as always.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloodly posted:

TIE Fighters? Not Interceptors?

Geez. Wrecked as always.

Star Wars takes place very shortly after A New Hope. Interceptors aren't common at all yet as the Empire didn't really start spinning up production until after the Battle of Yavin. They only comprised around 20% of the Empire's forces by the Battle of Endor.
:goonsay:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Darth Vader's TIE fighter was the prototype for the Interceptors.

The coolest-looking ones were the TIE Defenders, which I believe were in the TIE Fighter games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
One of the cooler things in the Star Wars movies is seeing how much both fleets have changed from Yavin to Endor. What I love is that the rebels have four different types of snubfighter going into Endor, all of which have really different designs whilst the Empire has three, all almost entirely based off the Tie Fighter model. It's like they tried to represent the ideas of the Rebellion's diversity and inclusion against the Monotholic stance of the empire in the fleets themselves.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

One of the cooler things in the Star Wars movies is seeing how much both fleets have changed from Yavin to Endor. What I love is that the rebels have four different types of snubfighter going into Endor, all of which have really different designs whilst the Empire has three, all almost entirely based off the Tie Fighter model. It's like they tried to represent the ideas of the Rebellion's diversity and inclusion against the Monotholic stance of the empire in the fleets themselves.

Since you brought it up, what's the in universe thinking behind the design of the B-Wing? I never understood it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Since you brought it up, what's the in universe thinking behind the design of the B-Wing? I never understood it.

It's designed by the Mon Calamari and all their stuff (they also built all the Rebel capital ships) is meant to be a bit aquatic-looking.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, did Luke just fly an X-wing to Coruscant? That seems unwise.

Nerds correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the X-Wing a common as dirt ship that the rebels bolted weapons onto and used because there were so many around for parts and replacements?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, in the old EU at least it was a relatively brand new, state-of-the-art design created by Incom. When the Empire tried to nationalize Incom for suspected rebel sympathies, the design team stole everything related to the new fighter they could and destroyed what they couldn't, joining the rebellion and setting up secret production sites to manufacture the X-Wing.

You might be thinking of the Y-Wing, which was an old fighter-bombers the Rebels renovating/updating to use. Or the Z-95, which is what the X-wing was designed to replace (and is basically a better version of).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something they (briefly) tried to do in the old EU was advance starfighter technology so the Y-Wings had been retired in favour of the new K-Wing class bombers and X-Wings were started to be phased out in favour of E-Wings, but neither ever caught on, so they ended up just using increasingly advanced versions of the X-Wing (with special versions designed for use by the Jedi).

One of the problems the EU had was its inability to let go of the movies. They had the (mostly naff) New Jedi Order series which was meant to pass the torch to a new generation of Jedi, but they ended up going in the opposite direction.

I can't deny it makes sense - people want to read about the continuing adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, Lando and the movie characters. It's a bit like how the KOTOR games look like the movies despite taking place 4,000 years earlier (contrast with the TOTJ comics, which look like they're ancient history); that's the Star Wars aesthetic people are most accustomed to so of course it's what you're going to use.

Nevertheless, it had started to become faintly ridiculous when Luke and Leia are both 60 and Han and Lando are both in their 70s and they're still the ones who do beat every villain and solve every problem (meanwhile, Han and Leia's daughter was probably closer to 40 than 30 when the old EU came to an end, and she was still being written like she was a teenager).

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nevertheless, it had started to become faintly ridiculous when Luke and Leia are both 60 and Han and Lando are both in their 70s and they're still the ones who do beat every villain and solve every problem (meanwhile, Han and Leia's daughter was probably closer to 40 than 30 when the old EU came to an end, and she was still being written like she was a teenager).

I hated this. Their inability to let go of the movie heroes (for good reason, as you mentioned) realllly is what sunk the EU for me in the past. The way they're making the new comics is really appealing, though. Doubly so because of the Vader comic. They need to do more villain perspective stuff in the future that isn't a "Well, they're a bad guy, but they totally turn out to be good in the end!" trope. Vader being completely dark is charming as hell for some reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Which is all kind of funny since The Force Awakens shows updated X-Wings and TIE Fighters, so an inability to let go of the original movies is as canon as canon gets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noto posted his covers for Chewbacca #3 and #4:

I'm super excited to see Noto's take on the SW universe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endless Mike posted:

Which is all kind of funny since The Force Awakens shows updated X-Wings and TIE Fighters, so an inability to let go of the original movies is as canon as canon gets.

Yeah, and it is one of the more disappointing things I've seen yet. Even if it does make sense, 40 year old designs aren't obsolete in the real world military automatically either. Although the TIE-Fighter was already poo poo at the time of the OT, being faced out for the TIE-Interceptor (far cooler design anyway).
Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward, instead of reusing the same old poo poo over and over again, because fans are super-conservative crybabies who don't like anything but slight changes (like putting rally-stripes onto the X-Wing).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I thought the new movie tie fighters had transforming wings that went from straight to curved?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Decius posted:

Yeah, and it is one of the more disappointing things I've seen yet. Even if it does make sense, 40 year old designs aren't obsolete in the real world military automatically either. Although the TIE-Fighter was already poo poo at the time of the OT, being faced out for the TIE-Interceptor (far cooler design anyway).
Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward, instead of reusing the same old poo poo over and over again, because fans are super-conservative crybabies who don't like anything but slight changes (like putting rally-stripes onto the X-Wing).
How much are nerds making GBS threads themselves that the X-Wings have redesigned engines?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought the new movie tie fighters had transforming wings that went from straight to curved?
If they do, the toys aren't depicting this.

I just got Taint Reaped, didn't I?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BigRed0427 posted:

Incoming giant rant about B-Wings because I love snubfighter design in Star Wars.

The B-Wing is designed to destroy capital ships. Later in the rebellion the rebels began to figure out that the Imperials were still really dogshit at dealing with snubfighters. The Imperial fleet is headlined by their Star Destroyers, which are similar to real life aircraft carriers.

In the real world, aircraft carriers emerged from WW2 as kings of the sea because they were the only ship that could reasonably mount a defense against aircraft bombing the poo poo out of them, by having aircraft themselves on defense.

Star Wars is pretty similar, the Star destroyers are amazing because they can take down any other ship their size and house Wings of Tie fighters to defend themselves against fighters. After Yavin the rebels realise that their snubfighters are just a fucktonne better than the Empire's and fitted with hyperspace drives, they can pretty much strike and run whenever they want to.

In the case of a successful attack they literally destroy something millions of times more valuable than the snubfighters they risk alongside every single Tie Fighter aboard the destroyer itself.

So some joker wonders why you need so many lasers on an X-Wing when basically every Tie Fighter they face doesn't have shields. He then wonders what you could replace a laser with and comes up with the answer of "Fucktonnes of proton torpedos."

So out comes the B-Wing, which is some unholy cross between the X-Wing and Y-Wing. The only problem is that it's a bastard to pilot, so they're limited by the fact that there aren't many pilots qualified to fly it.

What's really funny actually is that this mirrors current thoughts about Aircraft carriers in fleet to fleet combat. They're basically considered to be floating coffins at this point because people have figured out that if you load enough motorboats with torpedos, they can blow up the carrier without it ever being able to touch them. The motorboats are too small to hit with missiles or jets and individually carry too little value to pursue meaningfully.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

If they do, the toys aren't depicting this.

I just got Taint Reaped, didn't I?

It was one of the Star Wars REBELS toys, my mistake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why the gently caress are they called snubfighers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

B-Wings are so cool they got their own X-Wing expansion.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

zoux posted:

Why the gently caress are they called snubfighers?

Cute lil snubby noses

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Decius posted:

Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward,

They tried that once. Do you not remember?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ThanIs foR the answer Yorkshire Tea. All this talk about starship design made me realize though.

With so many other companies, groups and systems willing to assist the Rebels in just starship design, the stupidest thing The Emperor did was dissolve the Senate at the beginning of New Hope.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

They tried that once. Do you not remember?

Sure, but change is possible if done by people who haven't become idiots about their franchise (= Lucas). The PT had some great ideas design-wise, and I theoretically love the atmosphere of the dying republic, they just weren't done very well (despite having the best CGI studio doing them with huge amounts of money behind them).
But yeah, the failure of the PT will probably mean we won't see many big changes, outside of removing the old characters due to old age anytime soon. The insistence on "practical effects, practical effects, practical effects" of every trailer pretty much shows that - although it seems luckily simply mean "better balance between CGI and real props, props for interactive and foreground stuff, CGI for background and big scene, wide-shot stuff", which is a very sensible approach after all, Mad Max has shown that just this year.

Endless Mike posted:

How much are nerds making GBS threads themselves that the X-Wings have redesigned engines?

If you can produce a sketch by Ralph McQuarrie for showing that your changed design is actually more original than what was put into the movie nobody will complain. His sketches are amazing.

Decius fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually, I've heard more people complain about the splitting, asymmetrical wings than the engines.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Did anyone read "The Star Wars"? The one based on the original script for Star Wars. If so, was it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

cptn_dr posted:

Did anyone read "The Star Wars"? The one based on the original script for Star Wars. If so, was it any good?

I haven't read that comic, but I did read the original script, so I can only assume it was awful.