Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Joementum posted:

Up to Congress or, given that they'd likely pass the buck, the executive. Most likely, yes, the children would be shipped off with their parents and the other countries would be told to deal with it or the family can enjoy more quality time in an ICE detention facility.

I was reading up on it, and in Nguyen v INS they tried to deport this guy who was conceived by an American GI in Vietnam and a Vietnamese woman he wasn't married to. The father had brought him back to the US and raised him there as a permanent resident, but because he didn't take certain steps (which a US woman who had an out-of-wedlock kid with a non-US citizen wouldn't have had to do) Nguyen didn't have citizenship and was thus liable for deportation when he committed a crime at age 22. He appealed it all the way up to the Supreme Court, who upheld the deportation... but afterwards when INS tried to go ahead with it they found out they couldn't deport him, because Vietnam has some law on the books that doesn't allow for the repatriation of criminals. Troll level: Vietnam, I guess.

I wonder if Mexico could pass a similar law, wrt to its own birthright citizenship :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bryter posted:

Wait if you get rid of birthright citizenship does that mean nobody can be president any more?

"Natural born citizen" is not a well-defined term, and the courts have never been called on to define it. The likely definition is "born a citizen", i.e., not naturalized.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I wonder if Mexico could pass a similar law, wrt to its own birthright citizenship :getin:

As if Trump is going to respect any mexican laws.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
from now on the united states will no longer accept new citizens :jihad:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

FAUXTON posted:

They hosed the French up something fierce.

Doesn't even qualify as a crime though tbqh

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chamale posted:

There must be some way of preventing a candidate from being forced to serve jury duty, right? Imagine the outrage if Romney had been called to jury duty in mid-2012 and the court actually required him to appear.

A few years ago, our republican candidate for state rep got called for jury duty by our democrat controlled county on Election Day, In an open seat contest.

Needless to say some of his campaign people cried conspiracy and threw a big enough fit to get it changed to the day after.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

we're not racist because there's a black person in our primary pool, now let us tell you about black people....

There have been right wing goons unironically making that kind of post in this and/or the USPol thread.

JT Jag posted:

It would only be single payer if a single private insurance monopoly sanctioned and regulated by the government rose to the top after the state lines were abolished. Which, hell, could happen.

With the recent buyouts and mergers for insurance giants (Looking at you, Humana/Aetna) we might get cable industry-grade monopolies soon.

Grouchio posted:

Charges for what?

Vince Foster White Water Benghazi emails that the GOP insist broke some rules/laws that weren't even in place until after she stepped down as SoS.

Clinton is the posterchild for "look at all these scandals (that are trumped up garbage), she must be dirty!" While Trump would just blow them off and talk poo poo about how the people bringing them up are a bunch of pathetic fuckers Clinton won't for better or worse.

Hodgepodge posted:

Ever seen a pic of Putin standing beside Obama? This isn't the one I have in mind, he looks more dignified in this one. But it'll do:

Basically, Putin isn't that hard to stand down when you're PoTUS. There's a reason he spends so much time posing as an uberbadass- it's compensation.

Putin desperately wants to be loved by Russia along the lines of Lenin (or maybe Stalin, given Putin's background). At this rate he needs a shitload of propaganda for that to happen because he's been overlord of Russia's decline over the last decade or so at this point.

No, because it's insane crackpot poo poo. Unless Cruz's mother renounced her US citizenship he'd still be a US citizen and demanding he show his naturalization papers isn't something anyone in an actual position of power is going to do. The site also pedals the Santorum/Jindal ineligibility thing.

Canada also would not have let him renounce his citizenship without giving proof that he's a citizen of another country. The US is the same way. I can't just up and renounce my US citizenship and become a stateless person. It's lovely clickbait at best.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

HappyHippo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? A Trump presidency would be leagues worse than a Clinton one, and in what world are they going to be making similar SCOTUS nominations? This "both parties are the same!" bullshit is getting tiring.

I've been getting tired of saying this, but I'll still keep saying it forever.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? A Trump presidency would be leagues worse than a Clinton one, and in what world are they going to be making similar SCOTUS nominations? This "both parties are the same!" bullshit is getting tiring.

But think about it:

Supreme Court Justice Oprah

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Wolfsheim posted:

I know attacking a candidate's physical appearance is trite but is Scott Walker literally mildly retarded?

No, not mildly.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, because it's insane crackpot poo poo. Unless Cruz's mother renounced her US citizenship he'd still be a US citizen and demanding he show his naturalization papers isn't something anyone in an actual position of power is going to do. The site also pedals the Santorum/Jindal ineligibility thing.

Canada also would not have let him renounce his citizenship without giving proof that he's a citizen of another country. The US is the same way. I can't just up and renounce my US citizenship and become a stateless person. It's lovely clickbait at best.

Much like the Tea Party to begin with, the GOP sowed the seeds of crazy and now they have to reap the rewards

It's going to be decades before they can put the genie back in the bottle and convince their own voters to not deeply scrutinize every presidential candidate who has even left the country. The notion that the phrase natural born citizen has some nuanced meaning is going to stick with dumb people and conspiracy theorists for a long, long time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lote posted:

A bold move for the guy born to a mother that had been in the US for six months. Let's see how it works out for him.

OR

If life begins at conception, would this exclude Jindal from being "natural born"?

I hope the Donald uses that.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If this is true, your feelings are dumb and you're a totally uninformed voter.

Feel free to inform me then of what kinds of judges a hypothetical president Trump, a man who has leaned establishment Democrat for most of his public life and still seems to hold a lot of those same views just based on stuff he has said in the past month or so, would nominate. Or just make a worthless "ur dumb" shitpost.

Nobody has any idea what kind of judge he would nominate so making definitive statements on speculative gut feelings about a joke candidate seems pretty dumb imo.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I have no idea what kind of person Trump would shove into SCOTUS but I know they would be hilarious for a few days before we realize that they get to vote in actual supreme court cases.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

fronz posted:

I demand new polls, from the people that make polls.

We might be worshipping the same god. Wanna make a cult or something?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Supreme Court nominations have to be approved by the Senate. I do not have confidence in Donald Trump to assume that he will have a stable enough relationship with the Republicans in Congress for any of his nominations to be approved. I look forward to having a Supreme Court that literally cannot convene due to not having enough justices to constitute a quorum because Donald Trump will not stop nominating Geraldo Rivera and Gary Busey as Supreme Court Justices.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
For a party that is usually sporting a rager for State's Rights, I'm surprised Trump catches on with national health care plans and more ICE employees. I also like his plan that the Gov will keep your resume on file and let you know if anything comes up. Also, we need more old people working link.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

babypolis posted:

people keep saying trump is a really effective communicator and i just dont see it. he always sounds like an insecure child trying to sound badass to me

That's okay, you're not alone in being bright enough to hear the words he's saying and realize that on their face they're often nonsensical, but not bright enough to grasp what he's really doing and saying.

This is a short article summing up some of it up.

I agree that Trump probably isn't going to actually win enough votes to go anywhere, or that if he begins to the GOP will probably sacrifice the election by going scorched earth on him and his base, but he really is more intelligent than all the other doofuses in the Republican primary. Depending on how the economy and the conflicts in the Middle East go over the next few years he may end up winning in 2020 if he's really serious about this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Putin desperately wants to be loved by Russia along the lines of Lenin (or maybe Stalin, given Putin's background). At this rate he needs a shitload of propaganda for that to happen because he's been overlord of Russia's decline over the last decade or so at this point.
Russia should have stayed communist?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

That's okay, you're not alone in being bright enough to hear the words he's saying and realize that on their face they're often nonsensical, but not bright enough to grasp what he's really doing and saying.

This is a short article summing up some of it up.

I agree that Trump probably isn't going to actually win enough votes to go anywhere, or that if he begins to the GOP will probably sacrifice the election by going scorched earth on him and his base, but he really is more intelligent than all the other doofuses in the Republican primary. Depending on how the economy and the conflicts in the Middle East go over the next few years he may end up winning in 2020 if he's really serious about this.

that article is trash from an actual trump supporter and general facist lover

i dont think hes that smart. i mean hes obviously inteliigent but his success comes from being a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who actually had the money and power to back off his silly posturing. and americans love a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who "tells it like it is"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Josh Lyman posted:

unironically yes.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

Jesus gently caress.

Was Haiti Nazi Germany in a past life or something? that country just gets poo poo on left and right

They had the audacity to have a successful slave revolt.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Josh Lyman posted:

That and Saddam Hussein still being in power would give the world the kind of stability we can only dream of. The GOP is literally incapable of making anything better.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Saddam could have only dreamed of being as good as America at killing Iraqis.

:911:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Trump will do the trumpiest thing and not replace any supreme court justices, shrinking the size of the court

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Look I don’t believe you change hearts. I believe you change laws, you change allocation of resources, you change the way systems operate. You’re not going to change every heart. You’re not. But at the end of the day, we could do a whole lot to change some hearts and change some systems and create more opportunities for people who deserve to have them, to live up to their own God-given potential, to live safely without fear of violence in their own communities, to have a decent school, to have a decent house, to have a decent future. So we can do it one of many ways. You can keep the movement going, which you have started, and through it you may actually change some hearts. But if that’s all that happens, we’ll be back here in 10 years having the same conversation. We will not have all of the changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime because of your willingness to get out there and talk about this." ~ Hillary Clinton, part of the full transcript of her meeting with Black Lives Matter activists.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/08/17/rel8a.-.gop.2016.pdf

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

What's with these ridiculous campaign 'events' (using the term loosely here) at the crack of dawn?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

richardfun posted:

What's with these ridiculous campaign 'events' (using the term loosely here) at the crack of dawn?

Old people in Iowa get up at 3am

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

6:30pm. We in 'MERICA don't cotton to yer crazy hours higher 'en 12. Ain't natural. Ain't in the Bible.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Look I don’t believe you change hearts. I believe you change laws, you change allocation of resources, you change the way systems operate. You’re not going to change every heart. You’re not. But at the end of the day, we could do a whole lot to change some hearts and change some systems and create more opportunities for people who deserve to have them, to live up to their own God-given potential, to live safely without fear of violence in their own communities, to have a decent school, to have a decent house, to have a decent future. So we can do it one of many ways. You can keep the movement going, which you have started, and through it you may actually change some hearts. But if that’s all that happens, we’ll be back here in 10 years having the same conversation. We will not have all of the changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime because of your willingness to get out there and talk about this." ~ Hillary Clinton, part of the full transcript of her meeting with Black Lives Matter activists.

Wait, what? "If you keep talking about this, you're hosed?"

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

FairGame posted:

That's a willfully odd reading of that quote. She clearly means that they deserve more than they'll get if they just speak out and fail to interact with the actual framework of law.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

FairGame posted:

I think that's either an error in transcription or a verbal slip on Clinton's part, the jist of the quote is clearly: we need legislative priorities. She's asking BLM for political proposals I think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Did we talk about this one yet?

quote:

The gap between the rigid agendas followed by the party establishments and the more diverse opinions of loyal partisans leaves both parties vulnerable to a candidate like Trump who has the money, and the star power, to campaign on a platform that party elites would normally suppress.

Take spending cuts. It's table stakes in a Republican primary to talk about how you'll cut spending on Social Security and Medicare. The GOP's policy apparatus loathes both programs and considers their long-term cost to be among the most pressing economic threats facing the nation. Any Republican candidate who wants to be taken seriously by Republican Party elites needs to show they understand the urgency of cutting Social Security and Medicare spending.

One problem? Republican voters don't understand the urgency of cutting entitlement spending. In fact, they oppose cutting entitlement spending. More Republicans want to increase spending on Social Security and Medicare than decrease it. They think keeping entitlement benefits at current levels is more important than reducing the deficit.

. . .

And that's what makes a candidate like Trump potentially dangerous. On immigration, Trump holds a hard-line position that the Republican Party establishment has tried to mute, and so far Republican voters are loving it. On Social Security and Medicare, Trump — who opposes cuts — is closer to Republican voters than the party establishment is. On free trade deals, Trump shares a skepticism held by about half of Republican voters, but that's usually suppressed by the party's powerful business wing.

Most candidates who tried to stack this many heterodoxies would be quickly squelched by the party establishment. But Trump isn't beholden to the GOP for money, staff, power, or press attention. That frees him to take positions that Republican voters like but Republican Party elites loathe.

It may be true that support for Trump, so far, is about personality rather than policy. But as the primary wears on, Republican voters might find that they actually agree with him. And that's going to put the rest of the Republican field — all those candidates who were playing by the establishment's rules — in a very tough position.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/17/9164241/donald-trump-issues

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I think that's either an error in transcription or a verbal slip on Clinton's part, the jist of the quote is clearly: we need legislative priorities. She's asking BLM for political proposals I think.

Yes, her point is that raising awareness isn't enough. The whole transcript is worth reading.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Yes. For context, BLM also took video:

https://youtu.be/1eCraUvIq-s
https://youtu.be/eY9zpv7nZYo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Yes, her point is that raising awareness isn't enough. The whole transcript is worth reading.

Also known as "no one gives a poo poo about your Facebook likes and YouTube hits if it doesn't result in actual legislative action or court victories."

• Locked thread