Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

andipossess posted:

This is just Shaft being Shaft. Regardless of the source material they will try to make the backgrounds and settings as opulent and intricate as possible in spite of logistics. I mean have you seen their school?

I would love to see a fight scene in that school. Some dude getting thrown through four glass walls onto a desk that collapsed into the floor automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Hm, the Wraith Arc manga is on chapter two and apparently There is no "pre-Madoka" Homura in that world. She's an anomaly and her appearance rewrites everyone's memories to accommodate.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Are any of the Madoka mangas actually decent?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

boom boom boom posted:

Both the series and Rebellion have been adapted into manga, with the series adaptation having pacing issues and using an older version of the script, which lead to certain changes, such as Sayaka killing the hosts on the train, a short scene where Kyouko and Sayaka in the afterlife, and a scene at the end with Madoka and Homura that conflicts with Rebellion. I haven't read the Rebellion adaptation yet, as it won't be released until December. Both of these adaptations were done by Hanokage, who is the mangaka behind The Different Story and Wraith Arc.

As for spinoffs, Some are good, some aren't. Here's a list:

-The Different Story

Focuses on a loop not seen in the series, which expands on Mami and Kyouko's characters. The first volume is based on the audio drama Farewell Story and the two works compliment each other, so it's worth listening to it. Out of all the Madoka manga, this is the best one.

-Wraith Arc

Currently being serialized in Manga Time Kirara Magica, this is the story of Madoka's new world prior to the events of Rebellion. Considering it's Hanokage, I'm expecting this to match the quality of the The Different Story once it's released in English.

-Puella Magi Oriko Magica

A spinoff manga which focuses on three new characters, Oriko, Kirika and Yuma. Also takes place in a seperate loop from the series, with the main cast being present but somewhat off-characterization. One of the earliest Madoka mangas to be released, the art is rough and the story has problems, and is overall a mediocre manga. However, the characters are expanded on in Oriko Extra Story without the presence of the main cast, and Extra Story itself is overall decent.

-Puella Magi Kazumi Magica

I haven't personally read this and don't really have any desire to, but from second hand accounts, it's a terrible spinoff and should be avoided.

-Puella Magi Tart Magica

A spinoff manga based on the story of Joan of Arc, or Tart, within the Madoka universe. The first volume felt fairly by the numbers and in general ok, with some interesting hooks that could make this manga interesting in the future. The second volume hasn't been released in English yet.

-Puella Magi Suzune Magica

Another spinoff which focuses on another original character, which hasn't been released in English yet. I expect it to be on the same level as the original Oriko Magica but I suppose we'll see.

-Homura's Revenge

A manga which focuses on a "what if?" scenario where Homura takes Madoka back in time with her before she can make a wish at the end of the series. I enjoyed this manga quite a bit, as it changes the series around to keep things fresh and has some good character moments, especially for Homura. The second volume hasn't been released in English yet.

-Puella Magi Homura Tamura

I haven't read this yet, but I'll be getting it tomorrow and give a report on how it turns out. From the preview, it looks like a comedic manga, and is probably just officially licensed doujinshi.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 18, 2015

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\
If we're including stuff like Homura's revenge then its worth mentioning that there's a whole magazine, Manga Time Kirara Magica, that pulls together Madoka stuff, both one shots and series. Shinbou's even said he wants to adapt Tomoe Mami's Daily Life from there.

I'm going to go the windows being made out of transparent aluminum :techno:

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shaft worlds do not make sense, deal with it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

quite frankly, madoka looks droll and normal in comparison to monogatari

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Bakanogami posted:

Shinbou's even said he wants to adapt Tomoe Mami's Daily Life from there.

It's a bit funny but there are some fundamental issues with the manga where Mami has a dildo collection because everyone except her is married to men. Homura even married Tatsuya. (Granted, there were likely various changes made when the series went from a doujinshi to serialized in Kirara.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's the issue?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

I also don't get why vision(?)(memory?)(alternate timeline?) Mami told Madoka her wish would mean she would always be fighting witches forever. Was she just mistaken?

Madoka's wish has her "defeating" every witch at it's moment of creation, basically, which means she's fighting every witch at all points in time. That's almost forever, at least from a human perspective.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PerrineClostermann posted:

Madoka's wish has her "defeating" every witch at it's moment of creation, basically, which means she's fighting every witch at all points in time. That's almost forever, at least from a human perspective.

No, it was defeating every witch before it was created. She never fights anyone.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

No, it was defeating every witch before it was created. She never fights anyone.

Madoka says, "I wish to erase all witches from existence before they're even born. Every witch in the universe, from the past and the future, with my own hands," but she's also actually depicted fighting her own witch (though she does take it down in one shot). I guess Madoka's wish was so illogical everything turned out semi-okay???

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

andipossess posted:

Madoka says, "I wish to erase all witches from existence before they're even born. Every witch in the universe, from the past and the future, with my own hands," but she's also actually depicted fighting her own witch (though she does take it down in one shot). I guess Madoka's wish was so illogical everything turned out semi-okay???

It made Kyubey cry.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Lord Justice posted:

Both the series and Rebellion have been adapted into manga, with the series adaptation having pacing issues and using an older version of the script, which lead to certain changes, such as Sayaka killing the hosts on the train, a short scene where Kyouko and Sayaka in the afterlife, and a scene at the end with Madoka and Homura that conflicts with Rebellion.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sayaka killed 'em in the anime, too. The manga was more explicit about it, since it showed her leaving the train with a bloody sword, but I'm still pretty sure she killed them in the anime too.

This is not the face of someone who's fully capable of rational thought. Killing them was the last thing that pushed her despair far enough to transform into a witch.
Speaking of which, I love the witch transformation scene. To quote the thread:

Torquemadras posted:

Yes. Yes, Sakaya. Become a berserker. Reject every help from the other broken people. Let bunnycat destroy you. Yesssssssssss

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

rvm posted:

F/Z is very much Typemoon. Pretty much all the characters and their backstories (including Rider and Waver and the latter's crush on the former, in order to appeal to a certain, previously untapped by Typemoon, demographic)

You're reading too much into that relationship

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I own a lot of them. No they arent

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sayaka killed 'em in the anime, too. The manga was more explicit about it, since it showed her leaving the train with a bloody sword, but I'm still pretty sure she killed them in the anime too.

This is not the face of someone who's fully capable of rational thought. Killing them was the last thing that pushed her despair far enough to transform into a witch.

Pretty sure she did.

I love that whole sequence of episodes. It's so wonderfully hosed up. When I watched this show, I was at first slightly intrigued, and thoroughly hooked by the end of episode 3; but the moment that really convinced me was at the end of that one scene, where Sakaya fights the freaky many-armed black and white witch. Kyubey just mentions before that one could theoretically weaken the connection to their remote-controlled bodies to dull their sense of pain. And she does just that while stabbed by the arms, going "ahahaha he was right I don't feel ANYTHING" and rips that witch apart :stare:

Incredible.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Namtab posted:

I own a lot of them. No they arent

The Different Story is good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Pretty sure she did.

I love that whole sequence of episodes. It's so wonderfully hosed up. When I watched this show, I was at first slightly intrigued, and thoroughly hooked by the end of episode 3; but the moment that really convinced me was at the end of that one scene, where Sakaya fights the freaky many-armed black and white witch. Kyubey just mentions before that one could theoretically weaken the connection to their remote-controlled bodies to dull their sense of pain. And she does just that while stabbed by the arms, going "ahahaha he was right I don't feel ANYTHING" and rips that witch apart :stare:

Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPSPFNupZw

That's actually one of the scenes that's a helluva lot better in the series than the movies because Madoka's little whimper at the close of the scene is such a great episode ender.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPSPFNupZw

That's actually one of the scenes that's a helluva lot better in the series than the movies because Madoka's little whimper at the close of the scene is such a great episode ender.

I haven't seen the first two movies yet, since I jumped straight from the series to Rebellion; is it worth it? I don't know if any significant changes worth a rewatch are there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some nicer backgrounds and cleaned up animation is about it.

Also a 5 second shot of Madoka and Homura nuzzling I guess.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Magical girl reproduction is a mysterious thing isn't it?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Blaziken386 posted:

Speaking of which, I love the witch transformation scene. To quote the thread:

No, Shinbou has stated that Sayaka did not kill the hosts in the anime. From the April 2011 issue of New Type:

"Q - And there was Sayaka turning into a witch in Ep.8

Urobuchi - The conversations between two hosts that was overheard by Sayaka were true. I was in a crowded train and right in front of me were two guys making that kind of conversation.

Shinbo - Wanna add: Sayaka in the anime did not kill those hosts.

Urobuchi - In the screenplay it could be taken either way, so in the manga version by Hanokage-san the interpretation was taken as killed."

Torquemadras posted:

I haven't seen the first two movies yet, since I jumped straight from the series to Rebellion; is it worth it? I don't know if any significant changes worth a rewatch are there.

The movies do make some changes. The Beginning Story actively removes some scenes (generally the more slice of life school stuff, from what I remember) and moves at least one scene around (the dream Madoka had at the beginning of the series is now in The Eternal Story where episode 10 is in the movies). The Eternal Story makes some visual changes, but otherwise it is the same as episodes 9 through 12. You can move straight into Rebellion and be perfectly fine, although it is worth pointing out that Rebellion references this part of Luminous, the OP for the two prior movies:

Sakurazuka posted:

Some nicer backgrounds and cleaned up animation is about it.

As stated just prior, this scene is actually fairly important, as Rebellion references it twice (Rebellion spoilers follow, Torquemadras):

1:21:54 to 1:22:19

1:55:19 to 1:55:44

This sequence represents Homura's jouissance, her impossible joy and unreachable ideal. Her ideal is that of Madoka the person she knew, and the person she wants to be with in that field. Rebellion first details how Madoka's ascension separated the two, with Madoka's imagery of self-sacrifice. Later, the post-ED scene shows how Homura's transformation has separated them again, leaving a sheer cliff where Madoka once sat next to her. Essentially, the point of this sequence is another visual representation of Homura's relationship with Madoka, expanding on the dichotomy of Homura and Madoka which Rebellion bases itself upon.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 18, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

As stated just prior, this scene is actually fairly important, as Rebellion references it twice (Rebellion spoilers follow, Torquemadras):

Oh, no, you misunderstood me, I already watched Rebellion! I just skipped the first two movies, because why watch them when you just went through the 12 episodes :v:

I think I'm gonna pass on those two, then. Maybe on a rewatch.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oh, no, you misunderstood me, I already watched Rebellion! I just skipped the first two movies, because why watch them when you just went through the 12 episodes :v:

I think I'm gonna pass on those two, then. Maybe on a rewatch.

Ah, my apologies, I missed how your post was constructed. If you do feel like rewatching the series, then the movies are pretty much designed for that. As well, rewatching at some point is recommended, as Homura's role changes dramatically in the earlier parts due to knowledge from episode 10.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Ah, my apologies, I missed how your post was constructed. If you do feel like rewatching the series, then the movies are pretty much designed for that. As well, rewatching at some point is recommended, as Homura's role changes dramatically in the earlier parts due to knowledge from episode 10.

Best little realization for me: suddenly understanding that Homura dashing along the highway isn't just standard anime swoosh moves!

Seriously, noone in the entire show does that, the action is so loving good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

show me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

(Rebellion spoilers follow, Torquemadras):

1:21:54 to 1:22:19

1:55:19 to 1:55:44

Whoa, spoiler tag those two contextless stills

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lord Justice posted:

so many loving words, including 'jouissance' holy poo poo dude

"This shot represents how she can't sit with her friend."

Is that hard?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

This sequence represents Homura's jouissance, her impossible joy and unreachable ideal. Her ideal is that of Madoka the person she knew, and the person she wants to be with in that field. Rebellion first details how Madoka's ascension separated the two, with Madoka's imagery of self-sacrifice. Later, the post-ED scene shows how Homura's transformation has separated them again, leaving a sheer cliff where Madoka once sat next to her. Essentially, the point of this sequence is another visual representation of Homura's relationship with Madoka, expanding on the dichotomy of Homura and Madoka which Rebellion bases itself upon.

Lord Justice posted:

Rebellion first details how Madoka's ascension separated the two, with Madoka's imagery of self-sacrifice. Later, the post-ED scene shows how Homura's transformation has separated them again

There, that's the point of that paragraph. The rest of it is that point made two more times

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to keep saying it: Stop posting like you're an autistic guy trying to meet the wordcount for his anime dissertation

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm going to keep saying it: Stop posting like you're an autistic guy trying to meet the wordcount for his anime dissertation

Can you stop making GBS threads up the thread with this subject, please? It adds nothing and at this point you're freaking out over a short paragraph of less than 100 words. If my posting really bothers you so much, just use the ignore feature.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The key to communication is to convey ideas effectively.

Namtab is making a valid comment you should take to heart. You might be attempting to talk about how the show presents the characters' relationships, but if so you're not doing it well. What you're actually conveying is that you think you're really smart for talking about jouissance. Even if this isn't the case, that is what your writing actually tells people.

Furthermore, bringing up jouissance but then not using it to actually talk about anything relevant to lacanian psychoanalysis or cultural theory is the writing equivalent of jerking me off halfway but then leaving the room to go watch anime instead. Don't keep me hanging man

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

Can you stop making GBS threads up the thread with this subject, please? It adds nothing and at this point you're freaking out over a short paragraph of less than 100 words. If my posting really bothers you so much, just use the ignore feature.

Hi, you have written 31,829 words about madoka, in this thread. This does not include you posting about posting, discussion of fate/zero, or the discussion about whether Madoka is TRUE HIGH ART~

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I came back to this thread a while ago and was initially a little confused as to why you were being dogpiled on, Lord Justice, but you really do have a verbosity and ten dollar word problem (though my particular distaste for ten dollar words in philosophy and Lacan in particular might play a part in how I want to give you a swirlie for saying "jouissance"). I don't know that it's worth constantly giving you poo poo for but you might want to figure out why your natural way of posting makes you come across like you've got the big 'tism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

you might want to figure out why your natural way of posting makes you come across like you've got the big 'tism
ive got a theory

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

ive got a theory

Internet psychologists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Internet psychologists.
is joke. funny. i make joke, you go haha. haha!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

Just because I made a bad joke no one liked doesn't mean your posting is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I'm running out of comics please send help

• Locked thread