Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why yes there is only 1 Blue Jay in all of Arcadia Bay

How many bluejays are there in Chloe's house?

Actually there's an easy way to settle this, is that nest still in the garage in playthroughs where people let the bluejay die by flying into that window? If it is then I guess it must be from some other bluejay and is no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dolash posted:

How many bluejays are there in Chloe's house?

Actually there's an easy way to settle this, is that nest still in the garage in playthroughs where people let the bluejay die by flying into that window? If it is then I guess it must be from some other bluejay and is no big deal.

Yeah, it's there even if you don't save the bird.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

woodenchicken posted:

drat the beginning of the episode brings back so many memories from last year... Too bad IRL you don't get the choice to sacrifice a shitheel alcoholic parent to bring your friend back, cause I'd press that rewind button so hard.

This forum is awesome.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, it's there even if you don't save the bird.

Ah, okay. I'm a little relieved since that means you didn't just accidentally lock their mother out of the house.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I finished Episode 4 not that long ago, and I've just caught up with the thread. I feel a little behind, but why is everyone 100% sure that it's Rachel's body in the junkyard? The player doesn't see anything, and Chloe and Max don't seem to dig up very much. Did they see her face for sure? A body in a shallow grave for 6 months would be really decomposed.

It took me a while to play this episode because wow, it feels like one of the heaviest ones, for both content and play length. That Vortex Club pool party scene was masterful and really served as the culmination of a lot of the relationships in game. And 24 minutes of music(!), the attention to detail is fantastic.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I finished Episode 4 not that long ago, and I've just caught up with the thread. I feel a little behind, but why is everyone 100% sure that it's Rachel's body in the junkyard? The player doesn't see anything, and Chloe and Max don't seem to dig up very much. Did they see her face for sure? A body in a shallow grave for 6 months would be really decomposed.

It took me a while to play this episode because wow, it feels like one of the heaviest ones, for both content and play length. That Vortex Club pool party scene was masterful and really served as the culmination of a lot of the relationships in game. And 24 minutes of music(!), the attention to detail is fantastic.

Because we have a picture of Dead Rachel in spot where we find a corpse, not everything is a conspiracy

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

Because we have a picture of Dead Rachel in spot where we find a corpse, not everything is a conspiracy
Not saying it's some wild conspiracy, not any more than is already in the game. This wouldn't be the first bit of misdirection

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not saying it's some wild conspiracy, not any more than is already in the game. This wouldn't be the first bit of misdirection

But there is literally no reason for it to not be Rachel, its terrible writing to have it be a fake out, like "oh just kidding, they killed someone else and buried her there", all it would do is take away from the story

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's absolutely Rachel.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I just kinda get the feeling that as dark as things are getting this isn't like one of those games where they're gonna show off disgusting, decayed bodies.

yo5ty
Jun 12, 2007

Max posted:

It's absolutely Rachel.

We can officially put the it wasn't Rachel theory to rest, we have confirmation from someone who was there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish episode 5 was out yet. I keep checking this thread thinking new news came out and you're all just talking about the same poo poo over and over :(

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ekusukariba posted:

But there is literally no reason for it to not be Rachel, its terrible writing to have it be a fake out, like "oh just kidding, they killed someone else and buried her there", all it would do is take away from the story

In a stunning time travel twist, it's actually Max.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They do like to tease ambiguity around Rachel, but I think they came about as clean as they could about that being her corpse short of showing her decayed face. Ghost deer, clearly her in the photo, even the graffiti in Chloe and Rachel's junkyard hideout. I can't come up with how exactly but it feels like you really should get a chance to meet her (alive) somehow in episode 5, she's been built up enough.

Side note, one of my favorite little touches about the End of the World party is when Max talks to anyone she sounds like she's saying goodbye, some real "Whatever happens remember you're a great person" stuff. Really helped sell the tension of her trying to keep it together while tracking down a murderer - I kind of wish that if they really were committed to not going to the police they'd bring the photos from the dungeon and whip up a posse of fellow students instead. I also enjoyed Daniel chatting up Brooke since it might mellow her out about Max stealing Warren. Sorry girl, Max needs that copper tellurium.

Edit - Considering a second playthrough and now really tempted to blame the Kate situation on Jefferson. First time through I had absolutely no idea why you'd ever do that instead of David or Nathan, and I still can't come up with an in-character justification that makes sense, but metagaming wise it might be the smart choice.

Edit2: VVVV Well, presumably the graffiti on that message will be different based on whether your name is on it too.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 18, 2015

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Speaking of grafitti, when you're looking for beer bottles you can go inside a small building where you can add your name to the Chloe and Rachael was here grafitti and it says it will have consequences.....it hasn't for me yet unless I missed something?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

Not necessarily? There's still a chance it could be bigger than just Rachel, I mean this seems like a conclusion to Rachel's story, but it's too... convenient somehow. Convenient story points have been subverted many times over, and when you add time travel to the mix it really mixes things up.

I mean they were basically lured to the junkyard by a guy who has a long history of abducting blond girls, and they find a body right in the spot where it was posed for a picture, buried in a shallow grave. Both of them are stressed out and so convinced it's Rachel that they just right away jump to that conclusion as soon as they see something wrapped up in a bag. I had to go back and check it out and they show even less than I'd remembered

They're also 100% convinced Nathan's behind it at that point.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Speaking of grafitti, when you're looking for beer bottles you can go inside a small building where you can add your name to the Chloe and Rachael was here grafitti and it says it will have consequences.....it hasn't for me yet unless I missed something?
Yeah if you add Max's name, in the final scene of episode 4 her name and Chloe's name will be circled in red and say YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. Someone posted a screenshot earlier.

I didn't add Max's name out of paranoia, and in the final scene of episode 4, it just has Rachel's name circled with the addition "IS HERE"

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah if you add Max's name, in the final scene of episode 4 her name and Chloe's name will be circled in red and say YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. Someone posted a screenshot earlier.

I couldn't find it earlier in the thread so here's one from someone's Tumblr.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dolash posted:

Edit - Considering a second playthrough and now really tempted to blame the Kate situation on Jefferson. First time through I had absolutely no idea why you'd ever do that instead of David or Nathan, and I still can't come up with an in-character justification that makes sense, but metagaming wise it might be the smart choice.

I got your justification right here because I did it - at that point in the game, I had no actual proof against Nathan, just he said/she said, while David had already tried to make peace when you get to the school and I had preferred to intervene against him with Kate than take the photo proving he was hassling her. So I just went with the truth - I saw Kate talk to Jefferson, he brushed her off and she walked off in a state. At the time I just figured the Principle would take him to task for not seeing the signs that she was suicidal because hey, he's a faculty member and should have been more on the ball. Little did I know...

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The journal entry after you find her confirms its Rachel.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SirKibbles posted:

It's in Chloe's room

Specifically in Chloe's wallet, so she'd have had it on her when she got shot.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

yo5ty posted:

We can officially put the it wasn't Rachel theory to rest, we have confirmation from someone who was there.

Viva Miriya posted:

The journal entry after you find her confirms its Rachel.

This and Chloe digging up the grave then falling apart and sobbing about how Rachel really is dead. Why is this something people are entertaining?

Max fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 18, 2015

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Max posted:

This and Chloe digging up the grave then falling apart and sobbing about how Rachel really is dead. Why is this something people are entertaining?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY

Max
Nov 30, 2002

But where people really invested in the idea that she was alive?

All signs point to 'She's dead' that for her to not be dead would make zero sense. The spirit deer that represents her was standing over her grave site in episode 2, there are photos of her at the grave site made by the people that kidnapped her, Chloe clearly says she's dead when they find the bag, and there's the diary entry.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well poo poo, regarding the journal entry, I completely forgot there was a second scene before the ending one where they go to the junkyard while it's still daylight and initially find the body. So I was misremembering, I thought there were details I vaguely remembered missing. The luring to the junkyard doesn't happen until after they already find the body. My mistake, the whole episode was kind of a blur and I finished it all up late one night.

Max posted:

But where people really invested in the idea that she was alive?
I kinda was, she's this person you hear about all through the game, and is built up to almost mythical status by the end, just having her end up dead and dumped in a landfill is a bummer. In keeping with the game's Twin Peak etc influences though.

NOW, let me explain my theories about how Nathan and Warren G are actually working together, you see, Nathan = Nate Dogg

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Before people get too goony and start punching strawmen, can I point out that no one is obsessing over the idea that it's not Rachel. It's no one's indespensable pet theory. No one is furiously defending the idea as the one gospel truth. Just a few people have pointed out that a game which has twisted supposedly obvious facts before has given us a suggestion that things are one way, and it's always possible (if not entirely probable) that it could be something different. Again, they could just be teasing to keep people guessing, but it's not like suggesting there could be more misdirection going on here is entirely outside the realm of sanity, it's just unlikely.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe Rachel has been daddy Prescott all along.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Maybe Rachel has been daddy Prescott all along.

Never mind, changing my pet theory to this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Giving it a replay I've noticed that the first rewind Max does is the only one where she doesn't stay in the same place.

Which is either just a thing they forgot about or there's two Max Caufields and this whole thing is the work of your evil twin.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

Before people get too goony and start punching strawmen, can I point out that no one is obsessing over the idea that it's not Rachel. It's no one's indespensable pet theory. No one is furiously defending the idea as the one gospel truth. Just a few people have pointed out that a game which has twisted supposedly obvious facts before has given us a suggestion that things are one way, and it's always possible (if not entirely probable) that it could be something different. Again, they could just be teasing to keep people guessing, but it's not like suggesting there could be more misdirection going on here is entirely outside the realm of sanity, it's just unlikely.

Sometimes I have flashbacks to the True Detective season 1 thread. I don't agree that the developers are teasing us, I think that's just people reading way too far into the game and thinking there might be something there that really isn't. It's fairly clear that it's Rachel's body in that hole.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fans posted:

Giving it a replay I've noticed that the first rewind Max does is the only one where she doesn't stay in the same place.

Which is either just a thing they forgot about or there's two Max Caufields and this whole thing is the work of your evil twin.

Maybe she glimpsed her selfie at the last minute and rewound all the way back to then. Otherwise, video games.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh dang, that is actually a pretty unfortunate continuity error.

Meanwhile, the devs are trolling people:
http://i.imgur.com/rArerCp.png
(look at the green post-it)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just consider it a different kind of time fuckery. So far we've got:

- Max can reverse time around her
- Max can travel to the past using a photograph of herself, taking over her body
- Max can stop time while moving freely
- Max can see and interact with visions of the future

If you're telling me Max - in a moment of pure panic - managed to go back to her 10-minute younger self without using a picture to help her focus/boost her power/whatever, I can buy it.

seravid fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 19, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Personally I am a fan of the theory that episode 5 will culminate in a Battle of the Bands between The Max Caulfield Experience ft. Alyssa and Mr. Jefferson & the Wild Prescotts and you'll have to use Rock Band guitar controllers to have Max shred wicked solos and triumph comes only from being a rhythm monsterhead.

That would provide me with a wholly satisfactory conclusion to this story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Plom Bar posted:

Personally I am a fan of the theory that episode 5 will culminate in a Battle of the Bands between The Max Caulfield Experience ft. Alyssa and Mr. Jefferson & the Wild Prescotts and you'll have to use Rock Band guitar controllers to have Max shred wicked solos and triumph comes only from being a rhythm monsterhead.

That would provide me with a wholly satisfactory conclusion to this story.

The game reaches an unwinnable state if you never took the time to practice guitar in Max's dorm room.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

exquisite tea posted:

The game reaches an unwinnable state if you never took the time to practice guitar in Max's dorm room.

Actually you could win without it but you have to hit Keane's insanely high notes in your cover of "Perfect Symmetry."

Harder than it looks man

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

seravid posted:

- Max can stop time while moving freely

This is kind of a given anyway, since she can rewind without affecting her own position. She could have the same result by taking a few steps, then rewinding, then a few more, etc. Of course it wouldn't have looked nearly as nice as walking through time-frozen rain drops.

Come to think of it, this could have made proving your power to Chloe a hell of a lot easier. Just magic teleport around the room for a while. The narrative just sort of ignores the fact that every time you rewind people would see you suddenly jerk into a new position.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is kind of a given anyway, since she can rewind without affecting her own position. She could have the same result by taking a few steps, then rewinding, then a few more, etc. Of course it wouldn't have looked nearly as nice as walking through time-frozen rain drops.

Come to think of it, this could have made proving your power to Chloe a hell of a lot easier. Just magic teleport around the room for a while. The narrative just sort of ignores the fact that every time you rewind people would see you suddenly jerk into a new position.

Does Max ever rewind and move in front of someone though outside of her messing with Chloe in the lockeroom though?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Can I just say I love it when this game gives you the option to 'Sit'. It's so nice to have a bit of downtime and reflection in a game like this and the way the camera slowly flicks between scenes with some music playing is god drat awesome. It fits perfectly within the game's universe and I'm amazed they actually put it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirKibbles posted:

Does Max ever rewind and move in front of someone though outside of her messing with Chloe in the lockeroom though?

You can rewind all day long at the party, in front of the dorms where everyone is hanging out, in front of the school where everyone is hanging out, in the diner, etc

I guess you could make an excuse for all that that everyone in all those instances was too distracted to notice

• Locked thread