Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FAUXTON posted:

This is the part that really makes it scary. You'll have these fuckers saying it isn't a de facto ban since people in Houston could just go over to New Mexico to end a pregnancy.

Never mind that this is a day's travel each way plus time to recuperate after. Not only do they hate women and prefer them dead, they particularly hate poor women and would rather see them saddled with rape babies before driving them to suicide.

Well and that's a disingenuous argument on its face because if pro-life people had their way there wouldn't be a clinic in New Mexico to go to anyway. Evaluating the impact of a state's anti-abortion measures based on clinics existing in another state kind of sounds logically reasonable, but it would end up giving an incentive to GOP-controlled governments to outlaw abortion in their state sooner rather than later lest they be told they can't since too many women from surrounding pro-life states(that outlawed it sooner) rely on services in their state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErIog posted:

Well and that's a disingenuous argument on its face because if pro-life people had their way there wouldn't be a clinic in New Mexico to go to anyway. Evaluating the impact of a state's anti-abortion measures based on clinics existing in another state kind of sounds logically reasonable, but it would end up giving an incentive to GOP-controlled governments to outlaw abortion in their state sooner rather than later lest they be told they can't since too many women from surrounding pro-life states(that outlawed it sooner) rely on services in their state.

Of course it's a disingenuous argument on it's face, that's like their M. O.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It would perfectly fit GOP thinking though in that it would be a 'right' enshrined in law but in practice the ability to exercise it would be limited entirely by one's personal means so basically only for the wealthy. It's pretty much what a large segment of the GOP seem to want to turn voting into.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

patentmagus posted:

Roe is based on a "penumbra" of the Bill of Rights - privacy. Privacy rights seem like a quaint notion of late. It's particularly interesting in that the government may have full knowledge of every medical procedure that is covered by an insurer - especially with Obamacare in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if the liberal judges granted cert in order to put reproductive choice on a more solid footing.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the 'penumbra' stuff from Roe supplanted by Planned Parenthood v Casey?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the 'penumbra' stuff from Roe supplanted by Planned Parenthood v Casey?

Not exactly- the penumbra material is from Griswold, which has the same root issues but has been less of a problem in part because it's had to bear less political and social weight- Griswold was about laws banning contraceptives, which isn't exactly controversial in mainstream circles anymore.

It's built on the same flimsy right to privacy argument as Griswold, but the Roe majority, iirc, doesn't directly invoke it. Casey doesn't really change that interpretation- its alterations are to the specific(well, "specific") resulting standard. Because the root argumentation of the privacy right wasn't clearly defined or delimited, and because there were a bunch of legal realists involved, subsequent cases in this line of jurisprudence have always worked around the core basis of the right without explicitly defining it in legally usable terms. Instead, as in Casey, they let the basis be vague and interpret a more concrete immediate legal standard from current evidence and opinion. The resulting law isn't very stable, as a result.

It's been a while, but if memory serves I thought that one of the concurrences in Griswold did a much better job of articulating a concrete privacy right. Maybe White's?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 27, 2015

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It's been a while, but if memory serves I thought that one of the concurrences in Griswold did a much better job of articulating a concrete privacy right. Maybe White's?

drat, you got me to wade (pun intended) through Griswold.

To me, it looks like there are two arguments: 1) umbras and penumbras of the 4th and 5th amendments with a touch of 1st amendment free association; and 2) 14th amendment fundamental liberty of which a person cannot be denied without due process. The 14th amendment argument applied strict scrutiny and found no sufficiently compelling state interest.

I don't know if any of the Griswold arguments put privacy on a stronger footing. Especially with the redefinition of due process that "justified" killing al-Awlaki.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

patentmagus posted:

I don't know if any of the Griswold arguments put privacy on a stronger footing. Especially with the redefinition of due process that "justified" killing al-Awlaki.

It's...not really a related analysis, except in the loosest sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SCOTUS Thread 2016 pre-season: umbras and penumbras

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Subjunctive posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2016 pre-season: umbras and penumbras

And fromundas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ginsburg woulda written Obergefell better.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

RPZip posted:

It wasn't actually a Supreme Court case that Lincoln ignored, although that's a pretty common misconception. Ex parte Merryman was actually a Federal circuit court ruling, but the circuit court was headed by Chief Justice Taney. Justices also being part of the normal Federal Court structure was apparently not that uncommon back in the day. The case never made it to the actual Supreme Court.

Not just not uncommon, Justices were required by law to "ride circuit" until the requirement was eliminated by the Judiciary Act of 1891.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

At first I thought you meant, like, better written prose and I was like "yeah, duh."

Then I read the article and it was about a better legal doctrine and I was like "yeah, duh."

Kennedy is perfectly adequate. He gets a lot of attention just by pure happenstance of him being in the middle. I wish he retired instead of O'Connor.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I don't mind Kennedy

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

ZenVulgarity posted:

I don't mind Kennedy

His Obergefell decision was pretty predictably garbage and I was disappointed there was no concurrence. Walker (SF judge) paved the way for a clear ruling on the unconstitutionality of discrimination on the basis of non-conformation to gender stereotypes (eg orientation or gender expression) and Kennedy whiffed.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So with all the talk about Birthright Citizenship, the citizen clause of the 14th amendment has entered public debate again. People arguing against Jus Soli claim that a law preventing the granting of citizenship to the children of non-citizens is not incompatible with the 14th since when the 14th was passed there was no restriction on immigration, and thus no concept of an illegal/undocumented immigrant. A lot of people arguing against that interpretation are citing U.S. vs. Wong Kim Ark as explicitly interpreting the 14th as explicitly establishing Jus Soli in the United States. The people arguing against Jus Soli note that Ark's parents were both U.S. Citizens so the ruling does not apply to their arguments.

Who is right here? Also, are there any good examples of the SOTUS reading a constitutional amendment counter to what we would consider the plain english meaning due to to the specific legal body in effect when it was passed? Is there any chance the current court would be sympathetic to a reading that would allow restricting the practice of granting citizenship to all children born in the United States?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 18, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

This is in no small part because abortion is legal through a process that was never voted on. "Keep the very firmly in place status quo" just doesn't attract activism the way changing it does, even when the majority agrees with it
The backlash argument doesnt make sense timing wise. The evangelist right didn't really care about abortion at the time, and didn't for years after.

Nor do they really care whether gay right gains come through elective or judicial means.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chuu posted:

So with all the talk about Birthright Citizenship, the citizen clause of the 14th amendment has entered public debate again. People arguing against Jus Soli claim that a law preventing the granting of citizenship to the children of non-citizens is not incompatible with the 14th since when the 14th was passed there was no restriction on immigration, and thus no concept of an illegal/undocumented immigrant. A lot of people arguing against that interpretation are citing U.S. vs. Wong Kim Ark as explicitly interpreting the 14th as explicitly establishing Jus Soli in the United States. The people arguing against Jus Soli note that Ark's parents were both U.S. Citizens so the ruling does not apply to their arguments.

Who is right here? Also, are there any good examples of the SOTUS reading a constitutional amendment counter to what we would consider the plain english meaning due to to the specific legal body in effect when it was passed? Is there any chance the current court would be sympathetic to a reading that would allow restricting the practice of granting citizenship to all children born in the United States?

The 14th Amendment was passed to ensure, among other things, the children of former slaves, would never constitute a permanent non-citizen underclass. The 14th could not be clearer about establishing birthright citizenship: anyone born inside the US is a citizen, period, regardless of what some nutbars think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the only way to change that would be via Constitutional amendment. Which is not happening.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, that won't keep 4 justices from voting against it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

I mean, that won't keep 4 justices from voting against it.

Piles of poo poo that they are, I couldn't see Roberts or Scalia going for that. Alito votes for whatever the nice guys at the club think is right, and Thomas' jurisprudence is so sideways that it's hard to say where he'll fall.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

and Thomas' jurisprudence is so sideways that it's hard to say where he'll fall.

"Only people born within the boundaries of the original thirteen colonies are granted citizenship by 14A."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
No, but I think Thomas might rule you can be a citizen of the USA and not the citizen of a specific state.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Piles of poo poo that they are, I couldn't see Roberts or Scalia going for that.

Why? Roberts is a old fashioned Texas racist, and Scalia gets his opinion from talk radio and then has his staffers spend the next month figuring out a tortured logic to justify it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Roberts and Scalia aren't that insane- the doctrine at issue is completely uncontroversial among people not in need of antipsychotics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

Why? Roberts is a old fashioned Texas racist, and Scalia gets his opinion from talk radio and then has his staffers spend the next month figuring out a tortured logic to justify it.

Scalia I'm less certain about, but he's usually a reliable vote when there's a clear-cut constitutional issue on the table. And Roberts has a lingering respect for the rule of law that even being a retrograde reganite shithead hasn't completely tamped down like it has in that useless hack Alito.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Discendo Vox posted:

Roberts and Scalia aren't that insane- the doctrine at issue is completely uncontroversial among people not in need of antipsychotics.

but are they included in the group of people not in need of antipsychotics

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Twibbit posted:

but are they included in the group of people not in need of antipsychotics

Yes. Scalia and Roberts are conservative, not psychotic. I may find their views unpalatable, but presenting opposing positions as categorically crazy isn't productive.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Scalia I'm less certain about, but he's usually a reliable vote when there's a clear-cut constitutional issue on the table. And Roberts has a lingering respect for the rule of law that even being a retrograde reganite shithead hasn't completely tamped down like it has in that useless hack Alito.

Like that time business forced people to give up their right to association to form a class action suit simply by using their service, and he agreed with the justification of "it's what businesses want"?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. Scalia and Roberts are conservative, not psychotic. I may find their views unpalatable, but presenting opposing positions as categorically crazy isn't productive.

Yes, Scalia for example doesn't think the constitution actually considers women people. Perhaps the truth is in the middle.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question I've been looking for an answer to in regard to this whole debate, has SCOTUS ever ruled on on a case where both parents did not have legal immigration status? In Wong Ark Kim both his parents had legal status, such as it existed at the time. I'm just wary that if they never ruled on that specific circumstance it might be a loophole large enough for the conservatives on the court to drive through.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Goatman Sacks posted:

Yes, Scalia for example doesn't think the constitution actually considers women people. Perhaps the truth is in the middle.

tbh this may very well the true it's a decrepit old document which should be scrapped and worked over from the ground up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the only way to change that would be via Constitutional amendment. Which is not happening.

Trump has aroused a sleeping giant on the issue actually.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh this may very well the true it's a decrepit old document which should be scrapped and worked over from the ground up

Since were dreaming, can we get rid of the 2nd amendment, move to a Westminster Parliamentary system and get MMP? :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Except that the bar for a Congressional Amendment is extremely high.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

Like that time business forced people to give up their right to association to form a class action suit simply by using their service, and he agreed with the justification of "it's what businesses want"?

That's a legislative issue, specifically the Federal Arbitration Act (which badly needs to be rewritten and is like 70 years old). The decision was wrong on policy grounds but I'm not sure it's wrong given the text of the act.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

The only dissent I would see is Alito, who is a total irredeemable shithead. I don't even see them granting cert except to reverse a Circuit Court decision upholding denying citizenship to someone born here. And I don't see that itself happening.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mulva posted:

Since were dreaming, can we get rid of the 2nd amendment, move to a Westminster Parliamentary system and get MMP? :allears:

why on earth would you move to the westminster system it is almost as shite as what you have now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

why on earth would you move to the westminster system it is almost as shite as what you have now

Because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Everyone hates their own political system and is convinced that if only they used someone else's all their problems would disappear - when in reality you just change one set of problems you hate for a different set you will hate just as much.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no, i mean why would you use that instead of something like the german system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

no, i mean why would you use that instead of something like the german system

I'm not married to it, if the German system is better then let's do that. I just want to get rid of a co-equal executive, a first past the post/winner take all voting system, and scheduled elections.