Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Not an Owl posted:

Yeah, but goons especially like to hold this show to a higher standard, like the one that they hold Arrested Development to. I think that jokes from a show held to such a high standard should have jokes that are explainable within the context of the show, and that they shouldn't be reduced to "lol it's comedy it doesn't have to make perfect sense", especially when so much of the joke hinges on the explanation of parasites offered by the show.

What doesn't make sense though? Poopy pants is real despite us never seeing him before, that's literally the whole thing.

The chocolate river quote is about overexplaining things, not ignoring them. It's reasonable for a viewer to think "why doesn't the chocolate go hard and gross" and maybe even have some fun making up their own explanation, but it's not important enough for the person writing the story to spend valuable time/words on it.

Edit: :words: it's a cool show, can we just be cool for a minute

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Paladinus posted:

The monster was your average Doctor Who alien, but R&M had way more fun with it than Doctor Who ever could. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an alien in Doctor Who just like that and no one remembers it because the episode sucked.

There isn't (and the monster design in this episode was a hell of a lot more clever than your average Doctor Who alien, which is "bad thing that wants to kill you for no adequately explained reason")

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Clara is a manipulative monster who embedded herself in the Doctor's memories. Mels was a poopy butthole retcon who got shot. Wait what am I doing

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So the latest episode ends on a false memory right? Rick says 'and thats the way the news goes' instead of his usual catchphrase in this thread's title.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

So the latest episode ends on a false memory right? Rick says 'and thats the way the news goes' instead of his usual catchphrase in this thread's title.

No that's another one of his catch phrases, as demonstrated in the montage earlier in the show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladinus posted:

The monster was your average Doctor Who alien, but R&M had way more fun with it than Doctor Who ever could. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an alien in Doctor Who just like that and no one remembers it because the episode sucked.

Dr Who had the opposite idea: a monster which you forget immediately when you look away from it, creating near-seamless holes in your memory. It negates its shared reality by destroying your memories of it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dr Who had the opposite idea: a monster which you forget immediately when you look away from it, creating near-seamless holes in your memory. It negates its shared reality by destroying your memories of it.
:thejoke:

There also was a space bug who would alter your choices at some point in life. Fake memories is a popular thing in sci-fi, but Rick and Morty add their own spin on it, just like they did with turning a hivemind plot into something about hurtful relationships.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

In Doctor Who such a creature would have a 50% chance of being benign and misunderstood.

Come to think of it did the parasites in this episode even do anything harmful outside of the memory manipulation?

Of course the more of them created the more resources would be consumed by them. They're sort of like tribbles in that aspect.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mokinokaro posted:

In Doctor Who such a creature would have a 50% chance of being benign and misunderstood.

Come to think of it did the parasites in this episode even do anything harmful outside of the memory manipulation?

Of course the more of them created the more resources would be consumed by them. They're sort of like tribbles in that aspect.

Rick said they'd try to take over the world and he's usually right about this poo poo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Rick said they'd try to take over the world and he's usually right about this poo poo.

At the very least they were reproducing pretty aggressively within the timespan of the show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NowonSA posted:

I feel like we need to see another Meeseeks episode sooner or later, the idea is too cool to leave alone. Cameos here and there are nice to tide me over though.

The question "Will there be more Meeseeks?" is addressed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvjxMPlyNt4

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
We've never seen Summer's friend, Grace, have we. All we know about her is that she's Summer's friend and hot enough for Morty to use as masturbation fodder. In the first season, we don't see Snuffles/Snowball until the second episode even though he's the family dog who lives in the home. After "Rick Potion No. 9" we only see Jessica one more time - at the party during the first season finale.

Mr. Poopy Butthole was described as a family friend and nowhere is it said that he lived with Rick and the Smiths. It is easily possible that Mr. Poopy Butthole was a friend of the previous Rick and Morty who died and were replaced by "our" Rick and Morty in the C137 dimension. As the various negative family memories indicate, we only get a small slice of the experiences of Rick and family. Perhaps we haven't see Mr. Poopy Butthole because he just wasn't around while "the cameras" were rolling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

johntfs posted:

It is easily possible that Mr. Poopy Butthole was a friend of the previous Rick and Morty who died and were replaced by "our" Rick and Morty in the C137 dimension.

Nah, Rick was the one who remembered him the most.

(Rick is the parasite, as evidenced by his use of the fake catchphrases as the end of the episode. All the previous episodes have been fake memories he planted in our brains.)

Edit: there was an entire season of the TV show Dallas which was written off as just a dream in the first episode of the following season as well as all 6 seasons of St Elsewhere, there's precedence for this!!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 18, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Based on Snowglobe's last post, I suggest we close this thread, and indeed TVIV in general

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's fun to speculate as long as no one takes it too seriously.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Paladinus posted:

It's fun to speculate as long as no one takes it too seriously.

A fair policy, were this not TVIV.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Jesus why are you people spending so many posts trying to rationalize a joke wherein Mr Poopy Butt is presumed to be a parasite because he shows up immediately after Rick says to watch out for wacky characters and then he gets shot and it turns out he's real

It's a joke

Like the fact that he hasn't shown up before is part of why that joke works

The hell is wrong with you people

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh what's with all these fuckers discussing an episode of Rick and Morty in the thread about Rick and Morty! Why can't they just shut up!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

When Stargate SG1 did do this exact monster, it was in fact benign and misunderstood. Later they even learned to harness the retroactive memory effect to infiltrate the inner circle of the Goa'uld.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Based on Snowglobe's last post, I suggest we close this thread, and indeed TVIV in general

Oh no, I Cronenberged the thread. :ohdear:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

cmykjester posted:

Ugh what's with all these fuckers discussing an episode of Rick and Morty in the thread about Rick and Morty! Why can't they just shut up!

Aw geez Rick, I don't know about that! It seems pretty clear that a lot of people are purposely misinterpreting a joke, either in a misled attempt to be funny or due to legitimate stupidity!

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Literally The Worst posted:

Dear Jesus why are you people spending so many posts trying to rationalize a joke wherein Mr Poopy Butt is presumed to be a parasite because he shows up immediately after Rick says to watch out for wacky characters and then he gets shot and it turns out he's real

It's a joke

UNLESS the entire episode was a flash back triggered by Mister Poopy Butthole once he walked into the dining room, in which no parasites were spawned, only the memories of ones that never existed. Then Mr Poopy Butthole lays on the ground in the kitchen covered in ketchup and ends the flash back. Everyone thinks all the parasites are dead and Beth just shot long time family friend Mr Poopy Butthole who is now free to leave the house and infest the world.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buncha Fart-saving carpet store motherfuckers in here.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The whole show is a parasitic flashback mechanism.

Rick, Morty, Mister Poopy Butthole and everybody else now really exist.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The breathless way Rick says "hurry… HURRY" when it comes to flipping 3DSes is the best part of the episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Literally The Worst posted:

It's a joke

I agree with you - it's clearly a joke and intended as such.

I can only imagine that TV's general turn towards serialization (and R&M's slight nods towards it) has made people anxious to figure out justification for one-off jokes in an attempt to outpace the actual writers of the television show. Like it's some sort of race to "figure out" some hidden meaning before it's revealed.

I mean, this is a sci-fi show, and a cartoon. Remember the episode of ST:TNG where Riker "adopts" an alien "son" who is never seen again? Or the episodes of the Simpsons or South Park when loving god knows what happens and is never brought up again?

I'm happy that TV has, in general, trended towards serialization, but sometimes people just need to let go and let a joke land.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

This thread has committed a murder, and the victim is comedy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ashpanash posted:

I can only imagine that TV's general turn towards serialization (and R&M's slight nods towards it) has made people anxious to figure out justification for one-off jokes in an attempt to outpace the actual writers of the television show. Like it's some sort of race to "figure out" some hidden meaning before it's revealed.

I mean, this is a sci-fi show, and a cartoon. Remember the episode of ST:TNG where Riker "adopts" an alien "son" who is never seen again? Or the episodes of the Simpsons or South Park when loving god knows what happens and is never brought up again?

I'm happy that TV has, in general, trended towards serialization, but sometimes people just need to let go and let a joke land.

An interview I read with the creators earlier was actually talking about this exact same thing. They were saying how the internet is basically a huge rendering mill and you can't possibly keep anything as a surprise from them because literally every possible interpretation of some clue in a show (including the actual answer) will be posted and dissected somewhere as a fan theory. They mentioned an example from Dexter where there was a season where some big reveal at the end was that a particular character was just a figment of another's imagination (I never watched Dexter so I don't know which one), and how people guessed it after literally the first episode because of the whole "let's just analyze the poo poo out of every little detail" way that people watch TV now.

Here's the whole interview if you're interested. A key point they make is that knowing that's how the internet will respond to anything, they basically aren't going to bother with any sort of "big reveal" at any point and instead just focus on the individual moments and characters.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The AV Club has more in-depth and on-point analysis of this show than TVIV; how will you atone for this, terrible posters?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

An interview I read with the creators earlier was actually talking about this exact same thing. They were saying how the internet is basically a huge rendering mill and you can't possibly keep anything as a surprise from them because literally every possible interpretation of some clue in a show (including the actual answer) will be posted and dissected somewhere as a fan theory. They mentioned an example from Dexter where there was a season where some big reveal at the end was that a particular character was just a figment of another's imagination (I never watched Dexter so I don't know which one), and how people guessed it after literally the first episode because of the whole "let's just analyze the poo poo out of every little detail" way that people watch TV now.

Here's the whole interview if you're interested. A key point they make is that knowing that's how the internet will respond to anything, they basically aren't going to bother with any sort of "big reveal" at any point and instead just focus on the individual moments and characters.

Not to disagree with the point really but that bit on Dexter was just kind of obvious. Half the SA thread called it too and we weren't exactly enthralled by the show at that point. The show already has an imaginary character in the main cast, and suddenly there's this new guy who only ever interacts with one other person??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't believe how loving good this show is.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

One great little touch is, despite the massive power of thought and intelligence Rick has, he STILL takes several seconds just to count more than six people...

All my Maths professors were like this. People who contributed to the first steps of Computer Graphics and CG animation, yet they always made really silly mistakes with simple arithmetic and stuff in the single digits.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Megaspel posted:

All my Maths professors were like this. People who contributed to the first steps of Computer Graphics and CG animation, yet they always made really silly mistakes with simple arithmetic and stuff in the single digits.

That's because math isn't about arithmetic. Once you get into higher order math, the little things like arithmetic get lost in the shuffle. Ask a true math professor what 6x7 is, and you'll most likely get "around 40," which is perfectly acceptable within a reasonable margin of error.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There isn't (and the monster design in this episode was a hell of a lot more clever than your average Doctor Who alien, which is "bad thing that wants to kill you for no adequately explained reason")

The most similar thing I can remember is the alien that they forget about as soon as you look away that's been controlling humanity forever. Even though humanity seems to be doing pretty well, they trick an alien into hypnotising humanity to kill all those aliens in cold blood, like Doctor Who straight up genocides an entire alien race and feels good about it. He does this a couple times actually.

Doctor Who is probably a great example of the "don't think about it" type of story, because if you think about it, you realize it's complete bullshit. Even though I know it's complete bullshit with lovely writing and everything, for some reason I still enjoy it, like I've been brainwashed by british media or something.

ashpanash posted:

I don't think people all have the same motivation you think they do. For one, I just love making poo poo up and thinking about all the possibilities in this cool universe they've created. It doesn't matter if it turns out I'm right or wrong, I'm basically having fun creating silly fanfiction in a place where nothing we talk about really matters that much.

ashpanash posted:

That's because math isn't about arithmetic. Once you get into higher order math, the little things like arithmetic get lost in the shuffle. Ask a true math professor what 6x7 is, and you'll most likely get "around 40," which is perfectly acceptable within a reasonable margin of error.

Yeah exactly. Usually as well, you have calculators and poo poo to deal with it, especially with computer graphics.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 18, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ashpanash posted:

Unless they're a Hitchhiker's fan.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Megaspel posted:

The most similar thing I can remember is the alien that they forget about as soon as you look away that's been controlling humanity forever. Even though humanity seems to be doing pretty well, they trick an alien into hypnotising humanity to kill all those aliens in cold blood, like Doctor Who straight up genocides an entire alien race and feels good about it. He does this a couple times actually.

Doctor Who is probably a great example of the "don't think about it" type of story, because if you think about it, you realize it's complete bullshit. Even though I know it's complete bullshit with lovely writing and everything, for some reason I still enjoy it, like I've been brainwashed by british media or something.

Some Doctor Who stands up to scrutiny, some doesn't. The Impossible Astronaut/The Day of the Moon 100% does not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ashpanash posted:

That's right, Morty, 6*7 IS at least forty!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Don't forget that they weren't really aliens but genetically engineered humans who acted as mobile confession booths for the 41st century Catholic Church. Oh and they could grant the ultimate absolution of sins by demolecularizing you.

Both shows really have the "Don't think about it" going for them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Megaspel posted:

The Grothendieck prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Applewhite posted:

When Stargate SG1 did do this exact monster, it was in fact benign and misunderstood. Later they even learned to harness the retroactive memory effect to infiltrate the inner circle of the Goa'uld.

Oh man I feel like this is on the tip of my tongue, what happened in this episode?

• Locked thread