Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MagSafes (and other Apple cables) are made out of gossamer plastic so it's pointless to blame the user for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
I actually have a theory regarding that.
If you check out the broken cable, I can bet most if not all of them are discoloured due to the oil/grim from grubby hands get onto the cable and breaking down the plastic.
And if you handle those cable, you will probably notice they feel a lot different, softer and smoother, compare to when the cable was brand new, indicating that the plastic is being broken down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DaNzA posted:

I actually have a theory regarding that.
If you check out the broken cable, I can bet most if not all of them are discoloured due to the oil/grim from grubby hands get onto the cable and breaking down the plastic.
And if you handle those cable, you will probably notice they feel a lot different, softer and smoother, compare to when the cable was brand new, indicating that the plastic is being broken down.

If the plastic is being broken down by the oils and grime that come from the most basic contact with human hands and the environment then that's the fault of the manufacturer not the user. I've got a coffee maker in my office that was given to me by my father in law when he retired and didn't need it for his office. I'm pretty sure it's older than my wife. Somehow, despite that cord being touched by god only knows how many people in the last ~30 years and never being cared for in any special way, it's still in perfectly fine working order.

I get that macs aren't Mr. Coffees but if the plastic is that lovely they should source another type of plastic.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's why Apple usually replaces them no questions asked.

I've had at least half a dozen replacements, some which looked really torn up, but they didn't give any fucks.

Your mileage may vary...

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

If the plastic is being broken down by the oils and grime that come from the most basic contact with human hands and the environment then that's the fault of the manufacturer not the user. I've got a coffee maker in my office that was given to me by my father in law when he retired and didn't need it for his office. I'm pretty sure it's older than my wife. Somehow, despite that cord being touched by god only knows how many people in the last ~30 years and never being cared for in any special way, it's still in perfectly fine working order.

I get that macs aren't Mr. Coffees but if the plastic is that lovely they should source another type of plastic.

I think heat is a more likely culprit for discoloration (and eventual disintegration), but yeah, the plastic obviously wasn't chosen for its durability.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

And it shut down again. I'm going to pee on Jobs' grave after my appointment.

Hmm, maybe the backup battery needs replacement..

Think it's a standard 2032, you can get those at MicroCenter for $1.19 each.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If the plastic is being broken down by the oils and grime that come from the most basic contact with human hands and the environment then that's the fault of the manufacturer not the user.
To most people with clean hands this isn't a problem though. But yeah they could've used better material that's longer lasting under different conditions.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

DaNzA posted:

To most people with clean hands this isn't a problem though. But yeah they could've used better material that's longer lasting under different conditions.

There's really no excuse for it and it's an example of Apple choosing aesthetics over durability. My friend's cheapass netbook that's a hand-me-down and has a crack on its cover has a perfectly functioning original power brick whose cord isn't in any way damaged. People do their best to protect their MacBook power cables but still end up having to replace them due to poor choice of materials and design on Apple's part.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Butt Savage posted:

There's really no excuse for it and it's an example of Apple choosing aesthetics over durability. My friend's cheapass netbook that's a hand-me-down and has a crack on its cover has a perfectly functioning original power brick whose cord isn't in any way damaged. People do their best to protect their MacBook power cables but still end up having to replace them due to poor choice of materials and design on Apple's part.

Eh, and I've never had an issue with Apple cables in the 15 years I've been using them, but have seen plenty of problems with power bricks on other brands. I don't think the incidence rate is nearly as high as people think and this is confirmation bias at work (either mine or theirs, who knows without any real data).

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, anecdotal evidence and all that. I've personally never seen issues with non-Apple brands fraying/deteriorating like that, just the bricks themselves failing internally. But I have known two MacBook owners who had to have theirs replaced, one of whom babied his Apple stuff. He was smart enough to demand the store replace it. :v: Then when you add in all of the pissed off reviews on Apple's web store, and you kinda see why they get such a bad rap.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jamus posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading the Bluetooth chip for those, though.

I did this to my late 2011 15" MBP. It didn't add any of the other handoff features.

And I also have never had any issues with breaking/fraying/deteriorating of any Apple power adapters in the past 20 odd years. I've replaced a ton of them at work, but never had a single issue myself (with one exception when a friends dog ate an old Powerbook G3 cable).

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 19, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A lot of it depends on how much you travel with the bricks. I take mine into the office five days a week and I go through about one every two years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of it depends on how much you travel with the bricks. I take mine into the office five days a week and I go through about one every two years

Yeah, my dad ended up just getting one for his office and it probably saved money in the long run.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Power bricks are like footwear. You want to keep a few in rotation (and keep a beater for those long trips)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had my company buy me a 15Inch Retina fully decked out.

Holy crap this thing is fast!

I cannot recommend the Henge dock though. They didnt integrate a connector for the power supply and forget about trying to dock with a laptop case on :(

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spiralbrain posted:

You hiring?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

spiralbrain posted:

Holy crap this thing is fast!

I cannot recommend the Henge dock though. They didnt integrate a connector for the power supply and forget about trying to dock with a laptop case on :(

that's nice. i waffled again and swapped the 13 inch for the 15 probably the toughest call of my life

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ethanol posted:

that's nice. i waffled again and swapped the 13 inch for the 15 probably the toughest call of my life

Yeah, every time I have to carry it, I wish I had the 13, but then every time I use it I'm glad I went with the decked out 15.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

flosofl posted:

Yeah, every time I have to carry it, I wish I had the 13, but then every time I use it I'm glad I went with the decked out 15.

This. I hate carrying the 15" but every time I fire up Lightroom I'm glad I have it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has anyone tried one of these? (MicroSD adapter that sits flush with the case.)

In tandem with a 128GB microSD card, seems like a decent way to expand "internal" storage. I've never used my SD slot though, as I don't own any really -- is it treated like an external drive that needs to be mounted & unmounted, or can you just set it and forget it? Ideally, I'd like to migrate my iTunes library to it, but not if it's gonna be finicky. If I shut the lid/put the MacBook to sleep, can I expect it to stay mounted and not warn me about unmounting every time I come back?

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 20, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's treated like any external storage device. If you don't remove it, you don't have to worry about mounting it.

I haven't used that particular one, but I have used my SD card slot to grab RAWs into Aperture. Get a fast card and it works pretty decently. I'm not sure you could boot off of it or anything, but you can stick VMs on there and yeah, iTunes library I guess, but iTunes will complain if it's not mounted when you start it.

It is what it is. It's an SD card. If you have an rMBP, it will not be as fast as the internal PCIe SSD heh.

Personally what I would do is buy a bigger internal drive. They are replaceable, and fairly easily too. Unfortunately, they are expensive.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pivo posted:

They are replaceable, and fairly easily too. Unfortunately, they are expensive.

Depends very much on the model.

Physically you can remove them, depending on the year will determine if there's a vendor making them.

Looking at you, 2015 rMBP.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OK, thanks! As long as it doesn't automatically get (hard)unmounted every sleep, I'm all for it. I doubt I'd ever remove it, as I don't use SD cards otherwise. I'm OK with the lesser speed, since it'd probably be strictly music on that thing.

And yeah, I'm on a "you get what you buy and you'll like it" 2015 rMBP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeast posted:

Depends very much on the model.

Physically you can remove them, depending on the year will determine if there's a vendor making them.

Looking at you, 2015 rMBP.

Well, I personally sold a 512GB module for a 2014 rMBP that was water-damaged. The mainboard was dead, but the display and the SSD were verified working, the water didn't touch them. You can find stuff like that on eBay. Insurance paid for everything other than a $1000 deductible, and selling the display and the SSD covered the deductible.

It's not a terrible idea to buy something like that. I'll reiterate though, they are expensive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

It is what it is. It's an SD card. If you have an rMBP, it will not be as fast as the internal PCIe SSD heh.

Personally what I would do is buy a bigger internal drive. They are replaceable, and fairly easily too. Unfortunately, they are expensive.

The SD cards are a lot faster than what they have been in the past, though. Not as fast an SSD but they'll be fine for media.

Remember if you have the first generation Retina you can get the adapter and use any mSATA SSD

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please follow best practices while wrapping the cord:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

Aesthetic vs. practical design at its best

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Aesthetic vs. practical design at its best

I don't know how people just wrap the hell out of that thing and wear the cord out. Probably the same fucks who would wrap the cable around their Nintendo controllers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

are you... not supposed to wrap the cord? :confused:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm like one of 5 people in my office who hasn't switched to mac because our POS software and printers are windows-only :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

are you... not supposed to wrap the cord? :confused:

Of course you are. You just aren't supposed to stress the ends of the cable

And on the other end

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i like how their recommendation to not stress the L-type magsafe is to turn it around so it blocks your ports

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm still on this high-res display kick. Horrible guesses: MacBook Pros won't get new ports / USB-C ~ Thunderbolt 3 until an "Early 2016" model gets released (since there's already a Mid-2015 rMBP with force touch), but once it does, it will be able to drive an _also updated_ 5K iMac in target display mode, or 3x 4K displays when DisplayPort 1.3 (or whatever) gets updated. That'll also mean refreshed MacBook one-port that can do all kinds of fancier poo poo and actually be an option for Pros. At this point the "Air" gets killed when a larger MacBook gets released. Mac Pros get updated ports and who knows what else.

So I'm guessing the September Apple event won't include hardware, but Spring is going to make everybody happy.
This is a "McDonalds" post so that everyone comes in and corrects it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Just in case any of you are interested in the Henge dock. It also doesnt include a power button. So you have to power it on, dock it and then have it recognize your displays. I guess thats fine if your going to have it docked all the time, but still one more thing going against it.

Pivo posted:

You hiring?

Actually we are!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

I'm still on this high-res display kick. Horrible guesses: MacBook Pros won't get new ports / USB-C ~ Thunderbolt 3 until an "Early 2016" model gets released (since there's already a Mid-2015 rMBP with force touch), but once it does, it will be able to drive an _also updated_ 5K iMac in target display mode, or 3x 4K displays when DisplayPort 1.3 (or whatever) gets updated. That'll also mean refreshed MacBook one-port that can do all kinds of fancier poo poo and actually be an option for Pros. At this point the "Air" gets killed when a larger MacBook gets released. Mac Pros get updated ports and who knows what else.

So I'm guessing the September Apple event won't include hardware, but Spring is going to make everybody happy.
This is a "McDonalds" post so that everyone comes in and corrects it.

I don't think they will kill the Air just yet - and I hope they don't, I really like that $899 (and often discounted to as low as $650) price point., it's almost 2/3rds of the $1299 that the MacBook starts at

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Like the iPad 2 or classic 13" MBP. I think you're right.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

enojy posted:

Has anyone tried one of these? (MicroSD adapter that sits flush with the case.)

In tandem with a 128GB microSD card, seems like a decent way to expand "internal" storage. I've never used my SD slot though, as I don't own any really -- is it treated like an external drive that needs to be mounted & unmounted, or can you just set it and forget it? Ideally, I'd like to migrate my iTunes library to it, but not if it's gonna be finicky. If I shut the lid/put the MacBook to sleep, can I expect it to stay mounted and not warn me about unmounting every time I come back?

I used one of the Nifty brand cards ( http://minidrive.bynifty.com/ ) for my Air and it was very annoying, because it would disappear most of the time the computer went to sleep. I had to yank it and reseat it every time I wanted to access it, so it wasn't great for me. I wanted to shift my iPhoto library to it, but if iPhoto happened to be open when the drive was ejected going to sleep it would freak out. I tried two other Nifty cards on a MacBook Pro and a Pro 13 Retina at work with the same result. That brand may be different, but I imagine it's just what happens with the SD slots.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

RusteJuxx posted:

I used one of the Nifty brand cards ( http://minidrive.bynifty.com/ ) for my Air and it was very annoying, because it would disappear most of the time the computer went to sleep. I had to yank it and reseat it every time I wanted to access it, so it wasn't great for me. I wanted to shift my iPhoto library to it, but if iPhoto happened to be open when the drive was ejected going to sleep it would freak out. I tried two other Nifty cards on a MacBook Pro and a Pro 13 Retina at work with the same result. That brand may be different, but I imagine it's just what happens with the SD slots.

I've been using one of these: http://www.transcend-info.com/Apple/jetdrivelite/ for about a year now and it works really well. I have my iTunes and Photos libraries on it, and I've played (lightly compressed) HD films from it without problems.

The only times I have problems with it becoming unmounted are when the computer runs out of battery and shuts down, otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

It's not perfectly flush with my 13" MBPr, but it's small enough that I barely notice that it's there. My only complaint is that when I bought it, only the 68GB version was available and that feels a bit small, but that's to be expected.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

robodex posted:

i like how their recommendation to not stress the L-type magsafe is to turn it around so it blocks your ports

:confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

to be fair, if you're using the laptop in a place where the only choice is to put the power cord behind you like that, you're not going to be using the ethernet or displayport ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

None of my power cords have ever been damaged. I did have to bring nearly every Mac I've owned in for service though.